CONFLUX - a chance to meet Dave

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Ember

CONFLUX - a chance to meet Dave

Postby Ember » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:02 am

Hi guys,

I am SUPER excited, because the weekend after next is Conflux, an Australian Spec fic convention. And guess who is going to be there???

Yes. YES! Dave Farland. He is giving a few presentations/interviews over the course of the weekend. It is like the universe *wants* me to win this thing. (Actually, universe, I was hoping for a Canberra workshop, but I'll take it).

So for the Australians on the board, you might want to think about heading to Canberra for Conflux. And for everyone else ... if I get an opportunity to ask him a question, what should I ask?
---------------------------
Call me - "klevang" - my login if registration issues get fixed.

Volume 33: Q2 - R ,Q3 - SHM

The "real" Ember is a good friend and let me borrow her account, she won with "Half Past" in Vol. 31

OldDarth

Re: CONFLUX - a chance to meet Dave

Postby OldDarth » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:13 am

Awesome!

Take pics, record his talks, tell us everything! wotf022

But mostly, have fun! wotf008
My contest history:
V32Q3 - SHM, V33Q2 - R
Blog - Lou Writes Stories
'Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him.'

Ember

Postby Ember » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:58 pm

Thanks, I will. And of course I'll pass on any words of wisdom I pick up :)

The "real" Ember is a good friend and let me borrow her account, she won with "Half Past" in Vol. 31

Ember

Postby Ember » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:14 am

Given recent discussion on the threads, I might ask Dave what Silver HMs means to him.

I've seen his kicks on Rejections, and Honourable Mentions, but not on Silver HM. Actually, I haven't seen anything on Semi-Finalist either. I vaguely remember that Finalist means "You are publishable!"

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:14 am

Ember wrote:Given recent discussion on the threads, I might ask Dave what Silver HMs means to him.

I've seen his kicks on Rejections, and Honourable Mentions, but not on Silver HM. Actually, I haven't seen anything on Semi-Finalist either. I vaguely remember that Finalist means "You are publishable!"

Semi-Finalist means you get a critique from Dave. With mine, he told me what I did well and where I fell short from making finalist. It was only a few lines, but it was very insightful.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, F, R

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”