Jibber Jabber - Q2 - Volume 34

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
D.Kav

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q2 - Volume 34

Postby D.Kav » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:35 pm

I also couldn't submit and so just emailed Joni my story.

Dustan Moon

Postby Dustan Moon » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:41 am

"Which WOTF judge wrote Anubis Gates?" Man, gotta love the Capcha on this board! My favorite of Tim Powers is actually On Stranger Tides, and he signed the hardcover for me at a World Fantasy with an awesome drawing of Blackbeard.

I'm in, with a record hour and ten minutes to spare! First time I've gone through a story word by word, 9000 of 'em, asking if each one was needed, or could be better placed. Took forever, but I'm guessing that's what's needed to win if you're writing at pro level, but two or three mistakes gets you thrown out. Done is good...but flawless is impressive, and that's what we're trying to do, impress an NYT bestselling pro. So we'll see what happens this time.

Congrats to all that made deadline, may fortune favor the brave!

And congrats to our member that just sold to BCS! That's a pro sale!

BTW, anyone going to be at Norwescon at SeaTac in a couple weeks? Great writing panels. See you there!

Cheerios!

~Moon~

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:48 am

Dustan Moon wrote:"Which WOTF judge wrote Anubis Gates?" Man, gotta love the Capcha on this board! My favorite of Tim Powers is actually On Stranger Tides, and he signed the hardcover for me at a World Fantasy with an awesome drawing of Blackbeard.

I'm in, with a record hour and ten minutes to spare! First time I've gone through a story word by word, 9000 of 'em, asking if each one was needed, or could be better placed. Took forever, but I'm guessing that's what's needed to win if you're writing at pro level, but two or three mistakes gets you thrown out. Done is good...but flawless is impressive, and that's what we're trying to do, impress an NYT bestselling pro. So we'll see what happens this time.

BTW, anyone going to be at Norwescon at SeaTac in a couple weeks? Great writing panels. See you there!

Cheerios!

~Moon~

Hi, Dustan. I'll be at Norwescon! Hope to say hello. wotf007
Rebecca Birch
Finalist - 2, SF - 1, HM - 15, R - 5
Words of Birch

Libai

Postby Libai » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:12 pm

I got my story in before midnight and e-mailed it to Joni after the server crashed. I have not received any response. Does she usually respond if she gets it? I've never submitted in this way before. Anybody know?

greenroom

Postby greenroom » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:49 pm

I haven't received a response yet either. She will usually respond, but with the awards ceremony this weekend, I'd expect not to here anything until next week.
J. Deery Wray

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:46 am

Libai wrote:I got my story in before midnight and e-mailed it to Joni after the server crashed. I have not received any response. Does she usually respond if she gets it? I've never submitted in this way before. Anybody know?

Hi Libai,
I've submitted through Author Services (Joni) once before due to entry hosting problems. Several others on the Forums have done this also. What Joni does is to print copies <Kent hangs head because he is a bad, bad man responsible for killing trees> of stories that make the deadline. She notifies the author in a return email and collects pertinent information as necessary.

These copies are then teleported to Dave with technology sent back to the contest from an unnamed future winner. No resulting time paradox has occurred as String Theory posits that a new universe is created with each sojourn to the past. Since several thousand new universes have been spawned in this way, some of them with universal health care, the contest host has not been replaced; much to the chagrin of us procrastinators.

Dave notifies Joni of results and Joni emails contestants with those results. The extra steps involved, not to mention time dilation, have often meant that contestants who have submitted in this way have received results later than those who subbed in the usual way, though these receipts adhere to the Thursday rule (All results arrive on Thursday). Twitch factors rise exponentially as lack of notification seems to indicate success, however NNINN (Rule of no news is no news) remains in effect.

Good Luck and welcome to the Forum!

MDInkley

Postby MDInkley » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:49 am

Submitted 3/31 @ 11:30 Via email. Every time I make a goal to write my story before the last week of the quarter and every time I'm doing final edits near the midnight hour. Quarter 3 though? This time I'll start early...
MDInkley

HM -- 4
R -- Not counting

www.mitchellinkley.com

historythatneverwas

Postby historythatneverwas » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:55 pm

Rebecca Birch wrote:
Dustan Moon wrote:"Which WOTF judge wrote Anubis Gates?" Man, gotta love the Capcha on this board! My favorite of Tim Powers is actually On Stranger Tides, and he signed the hardcover for me at a World Fantasy with an awesome drawing of Blackbeard.

Cheerios!

~Moon~

Hi, Dustan. I'll be at Norwescon! Hope to say hello. wotf007

I will also be at Norwescon, though I'll be tied to my table in the Dealer's Room for most of the convention. (My crochet business and my husband's small press are splitting a space.)
Dawn Vogel
Website History That Never Was

J'nae Rae

Postby J'nae Rae » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:13 am

Anyone that submitted to Joni via email receive a confirmation yet? wotf012
HM Q1 2015.
HM Q3 2016
HM Q4 2016
R Q1 2017
The Trade's On, in Issue 8 of Sci Phi Journal, November 2015
Naidin's Song: Blood Bound, published August 2016
Nine-Tenths, on Empyreome (Weekly Flash Fiction,) June 2017

jficke13

Postby jficke13 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:45 am

J'nae Rae wrote:Anyone that submitted to Joni via email receive a confirmation yet? wotf012

Nope. I've attained a level of peace that if it doesn't get accepted then I've learned a valuable lesson about submitting more than 24 hours before the deadline.

c'est la guerre
HM - R - R

J'nae Rae

Postby J'nae Rae » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:13 am

Except, a deadline is just that and this has been a chronic problem the last year each quarter. Though this is the first I've been caught in it.
HM Q1 2015.
HM Q3 2016
HM Q4 2016
R Q1 2017

J'nae Rae

Postby J'nae Rae » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:21 am

Heard from Joni yesterday. I'm in. wotf008

So count me as submitting on the 31st.
HM Q1 2015.
HM Q3 2016
HM Q4 2016
R Q1 2017

Jarebcollins

Postby Jarebcollins » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:53 am

Hi all!

I must have missed the big snafu...my confirmation email was rec'd 3/30.

I think I subbed 3/29...
I cannot change the past, but I will help write the future.

jficke13

Postby jficke13 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:53 am

I'm in as well.
HM - R - R

hlreinhold

Postby hlreinhold » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:19 pm

Still waiting to hear back from her... anyone else? Which email address did you guys use?

greenroom

Postby greenroom » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:28 pm

I'm still waiting to hear back as well.
J. Deery Wray

hlreinhold

Postby hlreinhold » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:32 pm

All right. As long as I'm not the only one... I'm just worried that the UK time zone stamp of my email (it was past midnight here when I sent it) might confuse her into thinking I submitted after the contest deadline. wotf012

jficke13

Postby jficke13 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:27 pm

hlreinhold wrote:Still waiting to hear back from her... anyone else? Which email address did you guys use?

I actually used contests and joni. She responded to both messages and then informed me that she strongly prefers we correspond using one or the other as both go to her. Another lesson learned.
HM - R - R

Randy Hulshizer

Postby Randy Hulshizer » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:15 am

jficke13 wrote:I actually used contests and joni. She responded to both messages and then informed me that she strongly prefers we correspond using one or the other as both go to her. Another lesson learned.

Yeah, I sent my sub to both emails one quarter, and my story somehow got entered twice. I got an early R and thought that was it. Several weeks later, I received an HM on the same story. Emailed Joni. She said it was because I emailed it twice.
wotf017
Track Record: R X 3; HM X 3

Randy Hulshizer

Postby Randy Hulshizer » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:17 am

Randy Hulshizer wrote:
jficke13 wrote:I actually used contests and joni. She responded to both messages and then informed me that she strongly prefers we correspond using one or the other as both go to her. Another lesson learned.

Yeah, I sent my sub to both emails one quarter, and my story somehow got entered twice. I got an early R and thought that was it. Several weeks later, I received an HM on the same story. Emailed Joni. She said it was because I emailed it twice. My two cents: I think they just need to fix their entry system so this won't happen in the future.
wotf017

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:39 pm

Houston, I've got a negative on this current orbit trajectory. Please advise.

hlreinhold

Postby hlreinhold » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:14 am

Just sent her a quick second email and she's now confirmed I'm in, too. wotf008

bobsandiego

Postby bobsandiego » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:59 am

Randy Hulshizer wrote:
Randy Hulshizer wrote:

Yeah, I sent my sub to both emails one quarter, and my story somehow got entered twice. I got an early R and thought that was it. Several weeks later, I received an HM on the same story. Emailed Joni. She said it was because I emailed it twice. My two cents: I think they just need to fix their entry system so this won't happen in the future.
wotf017

I think the *real* lesson in this episode is that an R means only that the story did not work for that person on that day.
Same story, same quarter, two results R/HM
It's he same for any submission to any editor.
Literary saboteur
Blog: http://www.robertmitchellevans.com/
HM X 5
SF X 3
F X 0
Current Rejection Streak: 0

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:08 am

bobsandiego wrote:
Randy Hulshizer wrote:
Randy Hulshizer wrote:

wotf017

I think the *real* lesson in this episode is that an R means only that the story did not work for that person on that day.
Same story, same quarter, two results R/HM
It's he same for any submission to any editor.

It's also possible that the duplicate got rejected because it was a duplicate. Who knows? wotf017
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
wotf029 wotf042 wotf027 wotf042 wotf043

Randy Hulshizer

Postby Randy Hulshizer » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:19 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:It's also possible that the duplicate got rejected because it was a duplicate. Who knows? wotf017

Yeah, that was essentially what Joni suggested, although it did seem strange that I got the R first... wotf017

bobsandiego

Postby bobsandiego » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:03 pm

Randy Hulshizer wrote:
disgruntledpeony wrote:It's also possible that the duplicate got rejected because it was a duplicate. Who knows? wotf017

Yeah, that was essentially what Joni suggested, although it did seem strange that I got the R first... wotf017

Well, I am sticking to the interpretation that helps my fragile ego.
LOL
wotf013
Literary saboteur
Blog: http://www.robertmitchellevans.com/
HM X 5
SF X 3
F X 0
Current Rejection Streak: 0

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:59 am

Confirmed for re-entry. Thank you Houston (Joni).

Dustan Moon

Postby Dustan Moon » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:58 am

Hi Rebecca and Dawn! See you at Norwescon. I'll be singing at karaoke tonight, Evergreen Room. And Dawn, will stop by your booth!

Cheers!

Moon

Dustan Moon

Postby Dustan Moon » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:36 pm

Saw Dawn Vogel, one of our forum members, at Norwescon, and she did a wonderful reading of her new novel, fun steampunk!

Rebecca Birch, I think I saw you in the room but I couldn't stay until the end. Sorry to miss you!

Next time!

Cheers,

~Moon~

greenroom

Postby greenroom » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:16 pm

I should be writing, but ... Instead I'm compiling lists! :)

This is what I've distilled from the threads so far, but I'm sure I've missed some people, or gotten some dates messed up. So pipe up if you need a correction or want to be added.

February 24
Ishmael
March 10
Rebecca Birch
March 11
reigheena
March 14
LDWriter2
March 22
Vjalrik
March 24
Jeremyteg
March 28
bobsandiego
RSchibler (via mail)
March 29
Preston
Jarebcollins
March 30
Tamlyn
Beth Powers
March 31
Katsincommand
KristyEmber
Dustan Moon
J'nae Rae (via email)
Morshana (via email)
Jficke13 (via email)
greenroom (via email)
D.Kav (via email)
Libai (via email)
MDInkley (via email)
Hlreinhold (via email)
Kentagions (via email)

Date Unknown
AliciaCay
RuiMiguelCid
Last edited by greenroom on Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
J. Deery Wray

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”