Jibber Jabber - Q2 - Volume 34

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
KD Julicher

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q2 - Volume 34

Postby KD Julicher » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:15 pm

amyhg wrote:wotf058

O_O

I can't decide if I'm twitching more from waiting for placement results or for my twins to come.

Ultra congrats for both! Good luck! I'm wresting my writing back from the throes of baby-related sleep deprivation myself - it's not as easy as I'd hoped.
WOTF: HM x 6, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

jficke13

Postby jficke13 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:41 pm

Congrats. You've earned it!
HM x2

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:22 am

Congrats to everyone getting certificates, especially amyhg on levelling up to the ultra-twitch and Rebecca on getting the full house of responses wotf007 has anyone else ever managed that before?
Last edited by MattDovey on Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

J'nae Rae

Postby J'nae Rae » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:00 am

O_O

I can't decide if I'm twitching more from waiting for placement results or for my twins to come.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!
HM Q1 2015, Q3 & Q4 2016.
R Q1 & Q2 2017
The Trade's On, in Issue 8 of Sci Phi Journal, November 2015
Naidin's Song: Blood Bound, published August 2016
Nine-Tenths, on Empyreome (Weekly Flash Fiction,) June 2017

wotf024

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:16 pm

A hearty congo rats to you, Amy!
May your wait be worth the wait. wotf011
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
8x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

morshana

Postby morshana » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:22 pm

O_O

Yay!! Congratulations!!! wotf010
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

Dustan Moon

Postby Dustan Moon » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:13 pm

Conga rats dancing for you, Amy! Sorry it's not over yet; best wishes on the judges recognizing your skills. Either way, it's a hard won honor, and kudos to you!

Later, you can tell us if you wrote a story about twins being betrayed by their government! Wait? Wasn't that already done by Schwarzeneger and DeVito?

Cheers,

Moon

Dustan Moon

Postby Dustan Moon » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:14 pm

P.S. How do you guys get a pic or graphic to post with your name?

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:31 pm

Dustan Moon wrote:P.S. How do you guys get a pic or graphic to post with your name?

You mean the profile picture? It's currently broken on the forums since they did the last update.
WotF Results:
  • R:1
  • HM:3
  • sHM:0
  • SF:0
  • F:0
  • (Last: Pending, Q4.v34)

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:54 pm

michaeljwyantjr wrote:
Dustan Moon wrote:P.S. How do you guys get a pic or graphic to post with your name?

You mean the profile picture? It's currently broken on the forums since they did the last update.

I second this. It's broke ATM.
May be a while, because that's such a specific portion of the forums...

I'm keeping my silly Van Damn icon bc I'm afraid to switch it.

Well, who doesn't like a singing/screaming Van Damn?
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
8x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:58 pm

Dustin Adams wrote:
michaeljwyantjr wrote:

I second this. It's broke ATM.
May be a while, because that's such a specific portion of the forums...

I'm keeping my silly Van Damn icon bc I'm afraid to switch it.

Well, who doesn't like a singing/screaming Van Damn?

When this first got brought up, I tried to change my signature as a test. It didn't delete the image I had, but it wouldn't let me change it either.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, F, ?

JasonChristopherDuke

Postby JasonChristopherDuke » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:08 am

I'm in the same quandary as some of the posters here, i.e. on the edge of my seat, biting nails waiting for a response.

That, and I'm not even sure my story made it into Q2. I submitted June 14th, and didn't receive the usual confirmation from Joni. Fortunately, I emailed her about it on the 25th, and being the amazing person that she is, she replied same day, confirming that my story was received.

Does that mean my story made it in Q2?

Mr. Farland just posted another outstanding piece of advice on the blog, in which he described receiving some of the best stories in months about tales of revolution, etc. and I thought, That's exactly the type of story I wrote for the contest!

Nerve wracking I tell you! But I know all will be revealed soon. Good luck everybody who's still waiting. And congrats to amyhg and Rebecca!

jficke13

Postby jficke13 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:16 am

JasonChristopherDuke wrote:I'm in the same quandary as some of the posters here, i.e. on the edge of my seat, biting nails waiting for a response.

That, and I'm not even sure my story made it into Q2. I submitted June 14th, and didn't receive the usual confirmation from Joni. Fortunately, I emailed her about it on the 25th, and being the amazing person that she is, she replied same day, confirming that my story was received.

Mr. Farland just posted another outstanding piece of advice on the blog, in which he described receiving some of the best stories in months about tales of revolution, etc. and I thought, That's exactly the type of story I wrote for the contest!

Nerve wracking I tell you! But I know all will be revealed soon. Good luck everybody who's still waiting. And congrats to amyhg and Rebecca!

I'd maybe email query Joni. I'm 99.9% sure that the finalists get phone calls from her...
HM x2

JasonChristopherDuke

Postby JasonChristopherDuke » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:32 am

jficke13 wrote:
JasonChristopherDuke wrote:I'm in the same quandary as some of the posters here, i.e. on the edge of my seat, biting nails waiting for a response.

I'd maybe email query Joni. I'm 99.9% sure that the finalists get phone calls from her...

Thanks, jficke13. I'm just a little confused about the quarter is all, but I'm beginning to suspect my entry made it in Q3, not Q2. I'll email Joni and ask. Never hurts to ask!

hlreinhold

Postby hlreinhold » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:33 am

JasonChristopherDuke wrote:That, and I'm not even sure my story made it into Q2. I submitted June 14th, and didn't receive the usual confirmation from Joni. Fortunately, I emailed her about it on the 25th, and being the amazing person that she is, she replied same day, confirming that my story was received.

Yeah, June would mean your story's in Q3, not Q2. Q2 submissions closed at the end of March. We're all still waiting for Q3 results.
SF HM HM

JasonChristopherDuke

Postby JasonChristopherDuke » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:16 pm

hlreinhold wrote:
JasonChristopherDuke wrote:That, and I'm not even sure my story made it into Q2. I submitted June 14th, and didn't receive the usual confirmation from Joni. Fortunately, I emailed her about it on the 25th, and being the amazing person that she is, she replied same day, confirming that my story was received.

Yeah, June would mean your story's in Q3, not Q2. Q2 submissions closed at the end of March. We're all still waiting for Q3 results.

That's what I figured. Thanks for clearing that up, hlreinhold. The waiting game is never fun or easy, well for me at least, but that's all part of the thrill of entering the contest. And it is a fantastic contest to get excited about!

Good luck to you on the Q3 results if you have a story in.

D.Kav

Postby D.Kav » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:33 am

Who else is still waiting for these Q2 results?

jficke13

Postby jficke13 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:37 am

D.Kav wrote:Who else is still waiting for these Q2 results?

I'm pretty sure that all that's left is for the finalists to learn if they placed. If you haven't heard, it might be worth querying Joni.
HM x2

RaeSnow

Postby RaeSnow » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:43 am

jficke13 wrote:
D.Kav wrote:Who else is still waiting for these Q2 results?

I'm pretty sure that all that's left is for the finalists to learn if they placed. If you haven't heard, it might be worth querying Joni.

I queried Joni last Monday I believe, I still haven't heard a thing. wotf017
"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed."
- Ernest Hemingway

Vol. 34: Q2 - R

stevorso

Postby stevorso » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:09 am

RaeSnow wrote:I queried Joni last Monday I believe, I still haven't heard a thing. wotf017

Same here. I'm guessing she has a lot of emails, or someone shuffled all of the pages together from everyone's email entries.

thegirlintheglasses

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:56 am

stevorso wrote:
RaeSnow wrote:I queried Joni last Monday I believe, I still haven't heard a thing. wotf017

Same here. I'm guessing she has a lot of emails, or someone shuffled all of the pages together from everyone's email entries.

This is what she emailed me last night:

Did you hear from me yet? Sorry, I have so many e-mail in progress I just don't recall.

I still haven't heard, so I told her thanks for reaching out, but no, I haven't received results yet. She hasn't emailed me again, but I think she's sorting through a mess. I believe she'll get back to us as best she can, when she can. Patience, dang it (I feel like I have none) lol. Congrats to the winners though! It's been fun to pop in and see where things fall. Perhaps I should start biting nails for Q3...hmmmm but I'd have some bloody nubs by the end if I start this early! Thinking positive :)
Brittany Rainsdon
R-SHM-?

thegirlintheglasses

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:25 pm

Whelp, just got my rejection. Carry on! wotf024
Brittany Rainsdon
R-SHM-?

stevorso

Postby stevorso » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:25 pm

Just heard back from Joni. She didn't know why I didn't get a notification earlier.

Got my first R.

On the bright side:
- I'm not twitching
- Failures lead to learning
- I have some feedback from other contestants to move forward
- I have a few new story ideas

elratliff

Postby elratliff » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:59 pm

Congrats to everyone who placed!

I finally heard back from Joni, and I'm officially out.
1 x SHM
1 x HM
2 x R

RaeSnow

Postby RaeSnow » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:18 pm

I just heard from Joni a bit ago. I officially have my first WOTF rejection. She didn't know why I didn't get my notification earlier either. wotf017 Oh well, gotta pay my rejection dues I suppose. Now I am more determined than ever and I'm off to write a better story than this one! wotf042

Congratulations to everyone else that placed!
"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed."
- Ernest Hemingway

Vol. 34: Q2 - R

amyhg

Postby amyhg » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:17 pm

Dustan Moon wrote:Conga rats dancing for you, Amy! Sorry it's not over yet; best wishes on the judges recognizing your skills. Either way, it's a hard won honor, and kudos to you!

Later, you can tell us if you wrote a story about twins being betrayed by their government! Wait? Wasn't that already done by Schwarzeneger and DeVito?

Cheers,

Moon

wotf001

I think it was done by George Lucas.
v33: Q3 - R; Q4 - R
v34: Q1 - R; Q2 - SECOND PLACE! Q3 - HM (oops...?)

D.Kav

Postby D.Kav » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:00 pm

Rejection for me.

KathiLS

Postby KathiLS » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:29 am

O_O

Congrats! On the finalist and the twins. wotf007
~Kathi
Q3 V33 Finalist
The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease forever to be able to do it.
~Peter Pan

https://www.klschwengel.com

LaurieG

Postby LaurieG » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:52 pm

Dustan Moon wrote:First, congratulations to those that got honors. It means you are writing at a level that an NYT bestselling author feels obligated to acknowledge. It's the equivalent of an editor at a pro magazine saying, "This one didn't quite do it for me, alas, but please send me your next." Well done. (And kudos if you can name the pro editor that peronally typed "alas" on his rejections well over 100,000 times. You get a Scooby Snack.)

Second, one could argue SHM is the most useful rejection you can get towards winning this contest. You see, rejected finalists are burned, semis get a critique and are burned, but an SHM can be revised and resubmitted. *That's* the story to get some other eyes on, and your beta readers should be more published than you so you can get some wise feedback. So don't knock an SHM, embrace it and give it a big wet kiss.

Third, and I say this with all kindness, don't look for readers to build your ego, that's your mom, spouse, significant other, goldfish. Look for beta readers that are going to be brutally honest, because we are all making new writer mistakes. It's why we are here, trying to figure it out so we can advance. Again, try to find somebody that has some pro sales...they at least know how to craft a story that sells. And that's what all of us are most likely seeking, so we can have a larger audience for our stories than mom, spouse, significant other, goldfish.

Finally, put me down for email sub on the 30th. Rumors of my resurrection have been greatly exaggerated. : )

Fortune favor the brave.

Moon

It was Gordon van Gelder at F&SF who used alas in his rejects. Alas, he has since retired.
http://laurie-gail.livejournal.com

2 time Finalist
4 time Semi-Finalist
lots of HM's and Rejects

LaurieG

Postby LaurieG » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:56 pm

O_O

Hooray! wotf010
http://laurie-gail.livejournal.com

2 time Finalist
4 time Semi-Finalist
lots of HM's and Rejects

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”