Jibber Jabber - Q2 - Volume 34

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Galen

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q2 - Volume 34

Postby Galen » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:51 am

Wow! Congrats on the twins and the 2nd place. Two is a fantastic number. wotf010
HM x2
SHM x1

vjalrik

Postby vjalrik » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:11 pm

Awesome week! Triple congrats (quadruple?)... wotf009
V34: SF, R, R, Q4-pending
V33 (Q2 on): HM, SHM, R
Latest sold stories (9 total):
"The Right Decision," Digital Science Fiction, Dec. 21, 2016
"Fossil Fuel," Helios Quarterly Magazine, Dec. 13, 2016

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:41 am

amyhg wrote:And the results?

Joni giggled.

I got SECOND PLACE! *happy dance*

If I understand correctly, that removes me as a contender for the Golden Pen, which means I can officially stop twitching and kick back until April.

Woot! Congratulations :D

It does indeed remove you from the running, and means you have no need to keep your story title/details secret; there's no further need of anonymity for you now. And means you only have to write one speech, and don't have to be a quivering bag of nerves at the end of the show, which is a definite benefit!
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

Dustan Moon

Postby Dustan Moon » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:19 am

Conga rats dancing for Amy! You've passed a milepost in your career, and an even bigger one as MOM. Twins! Way to go! Huggies for everyone!

Cheerios!

~Moon~

Dustan Moon

Postby Dustan Moon » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:00 am

LaurieG wrote:Alas, I have several letters from him, some specific enough I counted them as personals.

Now, the real question is, what's my Scooby snack? wotf010

"Tee hee hee hee hee hee. Box empty! How dat happen? Shounds like a job for the Myshtery Machine! Scooby Dooby Doooooo!"

Hmm. How about a critique if you'd like? PM me if you wish.

I have a couple dozen personal Alas's from Gordon Van Gelder (glad to help him reach what I think he said was actually 180,000 hand typed when I asked him on a panel at Norwescon this year). The best Alas I got was for a semi first submitted here (KD said it would have won had I not pushed the max word count...she was not fond of the contest's word count length, alas). Gordon said he didn't have the room for it in F&SF, but suspected if I added a couple more novelettes to this story, it would likely sell as a novel. Sadly, it's at 100K and I'm not even close to finishing it, alas.

Just sold a story a couple days ago to a market that does epub and trade paperback paying SFWA rate. Funny thing is, this was a semi finalist from back in AJ's day (Algis Budrys). I've gotten HMs or better with it from every judge in the contest, with minor cosmetic changes equivalent to a French aristocrat deciding if she'd look better with a mole or not. This was the one that the editor from Unidentified Funny Objects told me was number sixteen of the fifteen or so he bought last year. I wrote that one twenty years ago. Just shows not to give up on stories you believe in. Just have to find the right editor to cast your lure at. BAM! FISH ON!

Keep writing! Keep sending!

~Moon~

Dustan Moon

Postby Dustan Moon » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:08 pm

I should add about the post above, the story with AJ was a "quarter finalist," the old term for semis. This was the early days of WOTF. The letter from AJ came with no critique, just personal congratulations I had reached the top .1% that quarter. Now semis get critiques, disqualifying them from being able to revise and resubmit because you'd have an unfair advantage. I've gotten those on other stories, and of course have not sent them in again. Just wanted to clarify. : )

Warmth and sunshine,

~Moon~

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”