Jibber Jabber - Q2 - Volume 34

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q2 - Volume 34

Postby J'nae Rae » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:00 am

That's fantastic Ishmael. Wish my own story was co-operating with me. wotf005
HM Q1 2015.
HM Q3 2016
HM Q4 2016
R Q1 2017
The Trade's On, Issue 8 of Sci Phi Journal, November 2015
Naidin's Song: Blood Bound, published August 2016
J'nae Rae

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:29 pm

Yep, it's officially one of those quarters. wotf027 I've got writer's block--or, more accurately, writer's boredom. My brain has decided to hate the story I'm working on, just on general principle. I probably just need to give myself a good kick in the pants and finish the current draft so I can make it better.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
wotf029 wotf042 wotf027 wotf042 wotf043
disgruntledpeony

Postby Ishmael » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:33 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:Yep, it's officially one of those quarters. wotf027 I've got writer's block--or, more accurately, writer's boredom. My brain has decided to hate the story I'm working on, just on general principle. I probably just need to give myself a good kick in the pants and finish the current draft so I can make it better.

The story that I just finished was exactly such a story. I kept telling myself, ''How can you expect anyone else to like it if you don't?" But strangely enough once I finished the first draft and tidied the roughest edges I decided it was really not bad at all.

I don't know how common this feeling about WIP is, but I doubt if it's only the two of us suffer from it.

wotf008
1 x SF, 1 x SHM, 8 x HM, WotF batting average .500
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.
Ishmael

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:30 am

Ishmael wrote:
disgruntledpeony wrote:Yep, it's officially one of those quarters. wotf027 I've got writer's block--or, more accurately, writer's boredom. My brain has decided to hate the story I'm working on, just on general principle. I probably just need to give myself a good kick in the pants and finish the current draft so I can make it better.

The story that I just finished was exactly such a story. I kept telling myself, ''How can you expect anyone else to like it if you don't?" But strangely enough once I finished the first draft and tidied the roughest edges I decided it was really not bad at all.

I don't know how common this feeling about WIP is, but I doubt if it's only the two of us suffer from it.

wotf008

I'm fairly certain it's common, because the better someone gets at writing the more they know something needs to be fixed.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
disgruntledpeony

Postby amoskalik » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:31 pm

Yeah, I've got two WIPs that I'm running out of steam on. I can't seem to complete even a first draft these days...
I'm just hoping that if I keep plugging away I'll get my mojo back.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R
amoskalik

Postby J'nae Rae » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:53 pm

I'll have to see if I can pull myself out of my grief and get this current one ready in time. Anyone have tips on how to write while grieving? I lost a very dear friend last night.
HM Q1 2015.
HM Q3 2016
HM Q4 2016
R Q1 2017
J'nae Rae

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:06 pm

J'nae Rae wrote:I'll have to see if I can pull myself out of my grief and get this current one ready in time. Anyone have tips on how to write while grieving? I lost a very dear friend last night.

I have no ideas for how to handle that, but I am very sorry about your loss and would be giving you epic hugs if we were discussing this in person. :(
disgruntledpeony

Postby Galen » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:24 am

Ishmael wrote:
disgruntledpeony wrote:I don't know how common this feeling about WIP is, but I doubt if it's only the two of us suffer from it.

So true. From reading these boards and others, anecdotally at least, it seems a lot of posters (myself included) occasionally go through a "this is so awesome" phase, followed by "this is the worst evar" phase, though not necessarily in that order - and sometimes with a repeat cycle or two, or three.

While the highs and lows can be psychologically painful, I've always figured they serve their purpose. The "love in" phase gives you the energy and motivation to stay with the project and see it to completion (so important). The downside is it risks blinding you to the story's flaws. The "hate in" reverses that: it helps you see the story's weak points and gives you critical insight as to what needs to done to make the story work, but it puts you at risk of packing it in as it becomes harder and harder to see the value in sticking with the story versus allocating your time elsewhere. I suspect in many cases, neither viewpoint is that realistic, but a dispassionate assessment of one's own work is probably a skill reserved for the very lucky and veteran professionals.

All in all, another reason I am glad so many on this board have banded together to share such excellent crits.

P.S. My condolences J'nae. Hang in there.
HM x2
SHM x1
(...and, ah, maybe some "R"s in there too.)
Galen

Postby Ishmael » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:11 am

J'nae Rae wrote:I'll have to see if I can pull myself out of my grief and get this current one ready in time. Anyone have tips on how to write while grieving? I lost a very dear friend last night.

Condolences. Do you write poetry? If you have a picture of your friend, or a picture of scenery or still life, I suggest you sit down and write a poem about how looking at the picture makes you feel.

I mentioned before that one of my poems seemed really apposite to read at my mother's funeral. My niece, not previously to my knowledge a great versifier, picked up this idea for her grandmother's funeral reception. I think we can sometimes express our emotions more openly in poetry.
Ishmael

Postby J'nae Rae » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:31 pm

Ishmael wrote:Condolences. Do you write poetry? If you have a picture of your friend, or a picture of scenery or still life, I suggest you sit down and write a poem about how looking at the picture makes you feel.

I mentioned before that one of my poems seemed really apposite to read at my mother's funeral. My niece, not previously to my knowledge a great versifier, picked up this idea for her grandmother's funeral reception. I think we can sometimes express our emotions more openly in poetry.

On occasion when something comes to me. I just might write one.

Thank you.
HM Q1 2015.
HM Q3 2016
HM Q4 2016
R Q1 2017
J'nae Rae

Postby Ember » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:07 am

I'm really sorry about your friend, J'Nae. I have no experience on writing while grieving, but I will say that don't beat yourself up if you try, but find you really can't write yet. It's ok to skip a quarter.
---------------------------
Call me - "klevang" - my login if registration issues get fixed.

Volume 33: Q2 - R ,Q3 - SHM

The "real" Ember is a good friend and let me borrow her account, she won with "Half Past" in Vol. 31
Ember

Postby amoskalik » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:52 am

My condolences. I've heard others say it is very hard to write while grieving and I've heard some say it actually helps with the grieving process, but I don't have personal experience. Grieving is an important activity and deserves its due time and space.
amoskalik

Postby J'nae Rae » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:39 pm

Thank you everyone.
HM Q1 2015.
HM Q3 2016
HM Q4 2016
R Q1 2017
J'nae Rae

Postby Muri McCage » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:09 pm

So sorry for your loss, J'nae. All I can tell you is that I'm barely eeking out an occasional word count still, since my mom's death last year. I have moments when writing is almost like it used to be, more and more, so I think the answer may be that it's different for everyone, but the writing will find its way back to you in its own time.

One thing that has really helped me is writing about my mom on my blog. Not too much, since it's a writing/general interest blog, but enough to combine my love for her with writing. I recently started a new feature on it, Stories from My Mother, where I'm posting parts of what will be an eBook someday. She told me so many stories from her very long life, some of which have historical interest. So it's a sort of written telling of oral history. And just recently I've started a science fiction story about Alzheimer's that I'm hoping will help bring me more fully back to my old writing self. If you can find a way to write about your friend and maybe share some of your feelings through it, maybe it will help some like it has for me.
Mom in the Moon, Analog October 2016
Dare to dream, now and tomorrow....
Blog: Dreams of the Purple Koala
http://murimccage.wordpress.com/
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/MuriMcCage
Muri McCage

Postby J'nae Rae » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:17 pm

Thank you, Muri. I hope the story does help you get back where you want to be. Sorry to hear you lost your mom last year.
HM Q1 2015.
HM Q3 2016
HM Q4 2016
R Q1 2017
J'nae Rae

Postby Dustin Adams » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:37 am

J'nae Rae wrote:Thank you everyone.

All I can offer is not to get hung up on "entering every quarter". I feel that, but skipping is OK, and 3 months goes by in a blink. Loss is hard. I've been there over and over and over. We bounce back. Find joy.
Writing will follow.
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
7x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F
Dustin Adams

Postby LDWriter2 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:08 pm

I hope you received my E-mail response about that.

But I just had the thought, some pro writers have placed loved ones that died into their books. Piers Anthony is one. In one Xanth book some one just appeared pretty much out of the blue and was just around. In the book's Author's Note or Forward he explains who that someone was in real life.

I have never done that-even though I did write a story in honor of my dad-so I don't know how well it works out but as I said a few pro writers have found it therapeutic.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html
LDWriter2

Postby J'nae Rae » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:17 am

LDWriter2 wrote:I hope you received my E-mail response about that.

But I just had the thought, some pro writers have placed loved ones that died into their books. Piers Anthony is one. In one Xanth book some one just appeared pretty much out of the blue and was just around. In the book's Author's Note or Forward he explains who that someone was in real life.

I have never done that-even though I did write a story in honor of my dad-so I don't know how well it works out but as I said a few pro writers have found it therapeutic.

I'm certainly going to be dedicating my next part of Naindin's Song when I get it finished and publish it. I already self published the first novelette as an eBook. She called me up not long after I had published to tell me she'd bought it then complained she wanted more. I likely create a character based on her in a future story.

Though my current WIP is now on hold, I got a rejection on the story I rushed out in December with no critiques to Zombies Need Brains' anthology Submerged. So, I'll run it through my Writer's Group, clean it up, and then submit that this quarter.

J'nae
HM Q1 2015.
HM Q3 2016
HM Q4 2016
R Q1 2017
J'nae Rae

Postby LDWriter2 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:32 pm

Well my story has stalled. 'til whenever I get some inspiration. I may have a quarter of one now but we shall if it develops.

Looks I blew the opening two way at least.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
LDWriter2

Postby Tamlyn » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:00 am

I think I've actually decided on a story! Before we even hit the final month! It's a long one (for me... short for others :p).
Latest story: Half Price Souls (recompose Issue 3, February 2017)
www.tamlyndreaver.com
Tamlyn

Postby Ishmael » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:22 am

I am in one of those rare 'steps back in amazement' moments when I cannot believe that the story in front of me is one I actually wrote.

Those who've looked at the crit exchange thread may have noticed I asked if anyone with experience of supernatural horror / heroic fantasy would be willing to take a look at this as it developed because I could not tell whether it was actually good or merely appeared so to me because of my lack of familiarity with the genre.

Amazingly, the story is finished (6.5K) and is my fourth and best (I think) brand new story since the last day of January. It is a long time since I've written so fast and I must give due credit to Flame Tree whose 4 calls of 2017 got me started on this burst. However it's outgrown the 2-4K specifications of its inspirers and I'm now looking at it for this quarter.

Since there is plenty of time and I still can't quite believe it, I'd be very pleased to offer a crit exchange. I am still nagged by the feeling that sometimes what seems to be gold turns out to be worthless iron pyrites.

If you're interested and you have my email, please get in touch. Otherwise please PM me through the board.
Ishmael

Postby LDWriter2 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:41 pm

I am finally working on mine. Changed the opening around again. Added something this time. Maybe make it less boring. wotf017 A tiny bit maybe,

Anyway it's going again.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:14 pm

Almost done with the changes then I need to revise it,

Sigh!

The openings of other stories I have written during this time haven't been half this hard.

In fact there is one that I wondered about sending in even though I wrote it for another reason. I will wait until its done and maybe use it next quarter.

Hmmm, again sigh. Could be a possibility that I won't need it, but than again the story I have there now is my writing.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
LDWriter2

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:57 am

My attempt bit the dust hard. I may try to save it, but at the moment it's such a steaming pile of terrible that I don't know where to start.

Ahh well. I'll keep trying.
disgruntledpeony

Postby reigheena » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:55 am

I've had a hard time motivating myself to revise my story. Perhaps its because I'm trying a different method, more inline editing instead of just rewriting the whole thing. That way I can focus on one issue at a time. Next pass: theme!
Silver Honorable Mention: 1
Honorable Mentions: 5. Published HM - Infant Insomnia
Other published works
reigheena

Postby LDWriter2 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:08 pm

Okay that's it no more changes in the opening. If it's not what Dave wants wotf017

Now to go on and revise the rest of it,

I was going to say that maybe some other editor will like the opening but so far that has never worked out for me. wotf017

Of course that last might change if I sent out my stories again. I managed to get three out today. It was suppose to be seven but for various reasons-a couple good, a couple bad and a couple so so-I only got the three. One reason was that I redid the openings on each one. I could see how an editor probably would't like it the way they were. Actually I did four. I was going to send one other out to BCS but according to my cover letter for it I had sent that story to them but must not have listed it. Is there anyway to check on what stories we sent them????

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
LDWriter2

Postby reigheena » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:36 am

LDWriter2 wrote:I was going to send one other out to BCS but according to my cover letter for it I had sent that story to them but must not have listed it. Is there anyway to check on what stories we sent them????

Search your sent e-mail for the submission. Since their auto-reply doesn't list the story's name, that's really all you have to go on.
Silver Honorable Mention: 1
Honorable Mentions: 5. Published HM - Infant Insomnia
Other published works
reigheena

Postby Ishmael » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:43 am

I'm in. I can no longer discern whether I am improving or worsening the story when I fiddle with it.

My thanks to my assiduous beta readers Peony and Galen.

TBSIEW. Of course.

wotf007
Ishmael

Postby amoskalik » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:10 am

Ishmael wrote:
TBSIEW. Of course.

wotf007

That's all you can ever ask for, really. Congrats!

I'm in something a slump myself. I can't seem to finish anything lately. The last story I finished was 6 months ago. I've got one 6000 word and counting WIP that I've shelved for now, and another that I am actively working on at 4000 and counting. I'm just going to keep plugging and not worry about deadlines at the moment. I've got to find that joy again...
amoskalik

Postby Ishmael » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:10 am

During December and January I ground out a single short story, painfully slowly. But when I finished I discovered it wasn't at all bad.

Then Flame Tree Publishing put out their 4 really short deadline calls to be completed in February. Inspiration! I've written all four, though only two went to Flame Tree. I adapted two pieces of new old stock. One of the four new ones was off somewhere else before I discovered Flame Tree would take multiple submissions.

The fourth was my current quarter's submission, where I was beginning to obsess about very minor issues that have no overall significance but somehow contrive to clog up my obsessive brain.

I doubt that I shall ever write a better story, though to be honest I thought that about my Submerged story and that got a form rejection (possibly for not taking place underwater!) This one is unquestionably better than that one and has me feeling if I don't win it with this I never will.

Of course that might soon be due to ineligibility rather than incapacity. I can't keep asking Joni for ever more imaginative interpretations of the rules!

wotf013
Ishmael

PreviousNext

Return to The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items