Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
disgruntledpeony

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:42 pm

LDWriter2 wrote:My story is done and revised. I still need to spell check it and edit it and I will probably make some minor changes while doing both but its done.

Woot! I'm just shy of done with my second draft, myself. I just have to figure out how to finish out the new ending and seed more evidence of internal conflict into the story. Because I always bloody forget that on my first drafts for some reason.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, ?

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:20 pm

Having finished my novel, I decided to try and crank out a story before midnight June 30. Sounds rational, right? wotf019
If anyone is still interested in a first x# swap or a whole story swap, I'd be interested. Story should be finished (first draft) this week sometime.
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Q2, Vol34, R

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:46 am

RSchibler wrote:Having finished my novel, I decided to try and crank out a story before midnight June 30. Sounds rational, right? wotf019
If anyone is still interested in a first x# swap or a whole story swap, I'd be interested. Story should be finished (first draft) this week sometime.

I'm willing to swap stories if you are. Mine will probably end up around 3.5 to 4k words. Feel free to PM me your e-mail address when you're ready to trade. I'll keep an eye out for it.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:08 am

RSchibler wrote:Having finished my novel, I decided to try and crank out a story before midnight June 30. Sounds rational, right? wotf019

Me too. I will be finished with the spell check and editing by then.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

hlreinhold

Postby hlreinhold » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:44 pm

I'd be very happy to do a first 450- or 1000-word or complete story swap (preferred) with anyone here. PM me for my email address.

My story's not yet done, but should be soon. I'm going to give myself a week, max, before it must be in a state suitable for reading.

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:12 am

The rough version of my 2nd draft is done! wotf007 I still want to do some editing before I send it out to people (some parts are freshly written and have that first-draft smell as a result), but I feel like the basic story arc is solid. It presently clocks in a little higher than I expected, in the 4500 word range, but I'm going to try and trim it back down to 4k over the next few days. wotf042

hlreinhold wrote:I'd be very happy to do a first 450- or 1000-word or complete story swap (preferred) with anyone here. PM me for my email address.

My story's not yet done, but should be soon. I'm going to give myself a week, max, before it must be in a state suitable for reading.

Sounds like a plan! I'll reach out to you in a couple of days or so, once I've got things a little more smoothed over.

hlreinhold

Postby hlreinhold » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:52 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:The rough version of my 2nd draft is done! wotf007 I still want to do some editing before I send it out to people (some parts are freshly written and have that first-draft smell as a result), but I feel like the basic story arc is solid. It presently clocks in a little higher than I expected, in the 4500 word range, but I'm going to try and trim it back down to 4k over the next few days. wotf042

hlreinhold wrote:I'd be very happy to do a first 450- or 1000-word or complete story swap (preferred) with anyone here. PM me for my email address.

Sounds like a plan! I'll reach out to you in a couple of days or so, once I've got things a little more smoothed over.

Wohoo! Look forward to it.

Ahh, that first-draft smell... wotf011

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:51 pm

hlreinhold wrote:
disgruntledpeony wrote:The rough version of my 2nd draft is done! wotf007 I still want to do some editing before I send it out to people (some parts are freshly written and have that first-draft smell as a result), but I feel like the basic story arc is solid. It presently clocks in a little higher than I expected, in the 4500 word range, but I'm going to try and trim it back down to 4k over the next few days. wotf042

Wohoo! Look forward to it.

Ahh, that first-draft smell... wotf011

It smells like burnt hair and toner.

I'll be reaching out in a couple of days as well. We've had a visitor so my progress hasn't been as rapid as I planned, but I still be finished within the week.

Q2, Vol34, R

KathiLS

Postby KathiLS » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:00 am

Aaaaaannnnnndddddd... I'm in. With a just-under-1k-flash. The only time I can keep a story under 6k seems to be when I keep it under 1k. wotf017 Go figure.
~Kathi
Q3 V33 Finalist
The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease forever to be able to do it.
~Peter Pan

https://www.klschwengel.com

hlreinhold

Postby hlreinhold » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:20 am

Well, the first draft of my Q3 story's done (at just over 7,000 words) and while I'm not in any way satisfied with it, I'm pleased. Now the real work can begin. This is now the third new version of an older story I've been playing around with, and I hope at least I've got the right viewpoint character now, and the right external plot. Hopefully that plot itself won't need too much more work, and I can focus on bringing out the secondary plotline and themes... and, of course, on the prose, which is currently pretty awful. Hopefully I'll be ready to exchange by tomorrow.

In the meantime, I'm going to read some more WOTF winner stories for inspiration.

J'nae Rae

Postby J'nae Rae » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:43 am

Still working on mine. The 450 exchanges were useful. Eep I still owe someone an annotated one, though they already have feedback. After I finish my story submitting it to my local writer's group Penny Dreadfuls for critique this month in time for an edit and submittal. By the way if anyone is local to the San Diego area and interested in joining our local group PM me.
HM Q1 2015, Q3 & Q4 2016.
R Q1 & Q2 2017
The Trade's On, in Issue 8 of Sci Phi Journal, November 2015
Naidin's Song: Blood Bound, published August 2016
Nine-Tenths, on Empyreome (Weekly Flash Fiction,) June 2017

wotf024

Smithr73

Postby Smithr73 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:26 am

If anyone would like to do a story swap, I would be more than willing! I've already grabbed a winner from LD, and I'm looking for more to read.
V32: HM
V33: HM, HM, HM, HM
V34: Q1 - R, Q2 - HM , Q3-TBD

http://www.robertanthonysmith.com

KristyEmber

Postby KristyEmber » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:07 pm

Hmm ... I keep thinking my story's done and then I think of just one more thing I could do to improve it ...

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:18 pm

KristyEmber wrote:Hmm ... I keep thinking my story's done and then I think of just one more thing I could do to improve it ...

I keep thinking I've fixed enough of my story's problems that I can send it out for crits and then finding new ones. wotf004

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:10 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:
KristyEmber wrote:Hmm ... I keep thinking my story's done and then I think of just one more thing I could do to improve it ...

I keep thinking I've fixed enough of my story's problems that I can send it out for crits and then finding new ones. wotf004

I'm ready for a first 450 swap, but only 75% of the way finished with the story itself. I know where it's going, I just haven't had the time to sit down and finish it.

Q2, Vol34, R

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:01 am

Yesterday I cut 500 words from my story.
I'm a putter-inner, not a taker-outer.
Feels strange, like, where did the words go?
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
7x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:54 am

Dustin Adams wrote:Yesterday I cut 500 words from my story.

I try to be a cutter, but every time I try to edit this story it gets longer. I'm up to about 5k now, although I need to rewrite my entire first scene so that may change drastically. (Whether the numbers will go up or down I don't know.)

I would have had this ready to send out to people by now if it weren't for work. I'll try and plug away at it over the weekend. wotf005 wotf042 wotf027

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:10 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:
Dustin Adams wrote:Yesterday I cut 500 words from my story.

I try to be a cutter, but every time I try to edit this story it gets longer. I'm up to about 5k now, although I need to rewrite my entire first scene so that may change drastically. (Whether the numbers will go up or down I don't know.)

I would have had this ready to send out to people by now if it weren't for work. I'll try and plug away at it over the weekend. wotf005 wotf042 wotf027

I usually add words while revising but I also cut some. A few times it was mostly cutting but most of the time my story ends up being longer even if only by a few words.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:42 am

First draft finished, ended up right at 7500 words. It's in a rough state, but I think with 3 weeks left I'll have time to get it into a suitable place by the deadline.

Q2, Vol34, R

hlreinhold

Postby hlreinhold » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:18 am

Anyone who's finished and wants to exchange, send me your stories! Mine (around 6,000 words, I think) will be semi-decent to send out by tomorrow. If you need my email address, PM me. :)

amyhg

Postby amyhg » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:21 pm

I'm in. June 14th. O_O

Now I gotta jump on Q4 because I got 7 weeks before these babies are due. Crunch time!
v33: Q3, Q4 - R
v34: Q1 - R, Q2 - SECOND PLACE!

vsutherland01

Postby vsutherland01 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:18 pm

I wrote my Q3 story back in the end of april. I gave it to a few people to read. The feedback hasn't been super, everyone likes it and says not much needs to be done. Having just received my second rejection I am a bit skeptical haha. I have left it alone so that I can have a fresh mind for final edits, but this week it's time to dive in. I am going to be engineering this thing to dodge and avoid all the things Mr Farland considers amateur. Evasive maneuvers! The action starts before the end of page two, also I will limit the use of modifiers heavily for the first quarter of the story, stuff like that.

It will end up being around 9500 words. Grammar and sentence structure mistakes often escape my eye. Does anyone know of a good proofreading service online that can help spot those little imperfections?

Also I would be willing to trade a story, but our turnaround time for feedback with each other would need to be fast.
Q1 - R
Q2 - R

hlreinhold

Postby hlreinhold » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:37 pm

vsutherland01 wrote:I wrote my Q3 story back in the end of april. I gave it to a few people to read. The feedback hasn't been super, everyone likes it and says not much needs to be done. Having just received my second rejection I am a bit skeptical haha. I have left it alone so that I can have a fresh mind for final edits, but this week it's time to dive in. I am going to be engineering this thing to dodge and avoid all the things Mr Farland considers amateur. Evasive maneuvers! The action starts before the end of page two, also I will limit the use of modifiers heavily for the first quarter of the story, stuff like that.

It will end up being around 9500 words. Grammar and sentence structure mistakes often escape my eye. Does anyone know of a good proofreading service online that can help spot those little imperfections?

Also I would be willing to trade a story, but our turnaround time for feedback with each other would need to be fast.

I'm willing to trade and could have a critique back to you in 24 hours, with whatever proofreading help I can give. Send me your story. I'll PM you my email address.

vsutherland01

Postby vsutherland01 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:49 pm

hlreinhold wrote:
I'm willing to trade and could have a critique back to you in 24 hours, with whatever proofreading help I can give. Send me your story. I'll PM you my email address.

Nice to meet you! :) and PM returned.
Q1 - R
Q2 - R

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:17 pm

Sigh.

More work.

Two people critted it and there were some contradictions. Without going into details one found a few things wrong and the other found many things wrong with the writing-to the point a rewrite might be best to fix it. One wanted a short action scene completely done away with and the other wants it with more action.

Should have started it already but been busy and procrastinating

As in right now.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:57 am

Omigod, this story is going to drive me insane. Every edit I make leads me to notice three more things about the story that could be better.

wotf027 wotf042 wotf027 wotf042 wotf027

I've got ten days to finish it. I CAN DO THIS. wotf024

I hope I can do this.

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:24 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:Omigod, this story is going to drive me insane. Every edit I make leads me to notice three more things about the story that could be better.

wotf027 wotf042 wotf027 wotf042 wotf027

I've got ten days to finish it. I CAN DO THIS. wotf024

I hope I can do this.

wotf010 We can do this!

Q2, Vol34, R

amyhg

Postby amyhg » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:52 am

FYI, just posted a blurb on my Q1 Rank Analysis conclusions. Love to get a discussion rolling on it if y'all want to take a look: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2545.

Amy
v33: Q3, Q4 - R
v34: Q1 - R, Q2 - SECOND PLACE!

historythatneverwas

Postby historythatneverwas » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:07 pm

Alright, my story is off and away, with 10 days left to spare. But I knew if I waited any longer, I'd still be picking at it on the 30th.
Dawn Vogel
Website History That Never Was

Randy Hulshizer

Postby Randy Hulshizer » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:25 am

Shoot. I really thought I was going to make it in this quarter. Life has a way of getting in the way sometimes. Well, I do still have a few days...
wotf004
Track Record: R X 3; HM X 3

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”