Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
LaurieG

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Postby LaurieG » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:31 am

KristyEmber wrote:I'm in. Fri 30/06. Random Q: has anyone discovered anything interesting by using the date of submission data? The waves seem to come all at once for everyone,from what I've seen, regardless of when you submitted in the quarter. Except for paper subs, of course.

I don't recall a full statistical analysis, but timing of the results doesn't seem to be based on when a story is submitted .
http://laurie-gail.livejournal.com

2 time Finalist
4 time Semi-Finalist
lots of HM's and Rejects

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:06 am

KristyEmber wrote:I'm in. Fri 30/06. Random Q: has anyone discovered anything interesting by using the date of submission data? The waves seem to come all at once for everyone,from what I've seen, regardless of when you submitted in the quarter. Except for paper subs, of course.

The only time I've ever noticed that potentially matter is if there are two waves of rejections instead of one, in which case the late dates are more likely to show up on the second wave of R's (although I may be remembering this incorrectly). Generally speaking, they seem to wait until they have results for everyone in one particular category and then send those results out all at once. R's always go out first, followed by HMs/SHM's/semi-finalists (I think those sometimes go out together; otherwise, It's in the order listed), then Finalists. After that, judging happens.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, F, R

AliciaCay

Postby AliciaCay » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:28 am

LaurieG wrote:OK, portal is open and I'm in. I LOVE this story!

This is my 29th submission. I think it's time I won this puppy. wotf008

Yes! That's fantastic - you go girl! wotf007
V32: HM (Q4)
V33: HM, HM, SHM, HM
V34: R, R, HM, Q4-TBD
https://aliciacay.com
"I turned silences and nights into words. What was unutterable, I wrote down. I made the whirling world stand still." -Arthur Rimbaud

AliciaCay

Postby AliciaCay » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:31 am

KristyEmber wrote:Ldwriter: I got two of those welcome to wotf emails!

I got two of those Welcome WotF emails also - threw me off a bit. Then I got the"your story has been received" confirmation email, and all was well with the world again. wotf008
"I turned silences and nights into words. What was unutterable, I wrote down. I made the whirling world stand still." -Arthur Rimbaud

Dustan Moon

Postby Dustan Moon » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:18 am

So it was Friday, June 30th, and I wrapped up my fresh story for Q3 with plenty of time to spare, a healthy thirteen minutes before midnight. Let's see, before I push SUBMIT, better check the word count. 20,500? 20,500??? Einstein, how could I have been so careless??? I am sure in the future you can find stories under 17,000 words in every corner drugstore, but it's a little hard to come by at the end of THIS era in Q3, Volume 34! The only thing we've got here in this time period is inspiration, and unfortunately, you never know WHERE or WHEN it's going to strike!

So I fired up my word processor's search engine, huddled over the flux capacitor's glow, hoping I could get at least 88 out of the thing:

COMPUTER: DELETE ALL As, ANDs, and THEs. Dammit, still too long.

COMPUTER: DELETE ALL PURPLE PROSE. Dammit, still too long. Whaa? Don't delete PURPLE, that's my favorite color!!!

COMPUTER: DELETE ALL NOUNS. Darn, it took out my name, and THAT'S THE ONE NOUN I WANTED TO KEEP!

COMPUTER: DELETE ALL CONSONANTS!!! There! At last, 16,999. And, I might add, the perfect Hawaiian love story.

I'M IN! UAUAUAUAUAUAUAUAUUAAAA!!!!!!

~Moon~

Beth Powers

Postby Beth Powers » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:12 pm

I keep forgetting to report in here, but I submitted on June 29th...still waiting to hear about Q2...

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:54 am

Glad you got in, Laurie, Dustan, and Beth.
Now we wait! wotf001
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

vsutherland01

Postby vsutherland01 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:48 am

It felt good to be done, but now that feeling has passed. I am just anxiously waiting for that big R in 2.5 months haha.

I hope not; I put a ton of work into this one. I just want to make it into the HM club. The users on this forum gave me some amazing critiques. I basically rewrote most of my story but it was worth it. I have allowed amateur habits to settle into my prose over the last 4 years. This Quarter was an eye opener.

How long do you folks wait before starting on the next submission? I need a break after this last one.

I had drafted out a potential Q4 entry early in June but I no longer like the story. I have a better idea I think I will work on instead.
2017 | Q1 - R | Q2 - R | Q3 - HM | Q4 - R |
2018 Q1 -

LaurieG

Postby LaurieG » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:40 am

vsutherland01 wrote:It felt good to be done, but now that feeling has passed. I am just anxiously waiting for that big R in 2.5 months haha.

I hope not; I put a ton of work into this one. I just want to make it into the HM club. The users on this forum gave me some amazing critiques. I basically rewrote most of my story but it was worth it. I have allowed amateur habits to settle into my prose over the last 4 years. This Quarter was an eye opener.

How long do you folks wait before starting on the next submission? I need a break after this last one.

I had drafted out a potential Q4 entry early in June but I no longer like the story. I have a better idea I think I will work on instead.

Since I write slowly, and longer stories, I've usually got preliminary work the next quarter's story already underway when the previous quarter ends. (This last quarter was different. I got totally stuck on the story I was working on and set it aside for a while. In the meantime, I started, and finished, a 12,000 word story in 6 weeks. This has never happened! I am thrilled.)

I give myself some time to decompress before starting in again. This time I'm not burned out. Once I get some backlogged things handled in the house and work, (about a week) I'll pull the abandoned story out again and push through. I love the premise, and I've done quite a bit of research, so don't want to leave it forever.

2 time Finalist
4 time Semi-Finalist
lots of HM's and Rejects

vsutherland01

Postby vsutherland01 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:13 pm

LaurieG wrote:
I give myself some time to decompress before starting in again.

That sounds like a good plan. I will take a break for a week or two maybe a month at most.

I made the mistake of looking at my Q3 manuscript today. There is nothing i can do now but I found a missing "K" from the word "took", a missing "the" before a noun and a missing apostrophe in a possessive noun. Oh well haha, I hate that little typos slip past me. Worrying about the possibility of getting a Rejection for such stupid mistakes will drive me insane. I gotta put it behind me and clear my head to ready myself for the next quarter.
2018 Q1 -

Jeremyteg

Postby Jeremyteg » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:46 pm

vsutherland01 wrote:
LaurieG wrote:
I give myself some time to decompress before starting in again.

That sounds like a good plan. I will take a break for a week or two maybe a month at most.

I made the mistake of looking at my Q3 manuscript today. There is nothing i can do now but I found a missing "K" from the word "took", a missing "the" before a noun and a missing apostrophe in a possessive noun. Oh well haha, I hate that little typos slip past me. Worrying about the possibility of getting a Rejection for such stupid mistakes will drive me insane. I gotta put it behind me and clear my head to ready myself for the next quarter.

I just won first place with a story that had more than one significant typo. If your story is good and the typos/grammar errors aren't too distracting, I wouldn't worry about it. wotf007

vsutherland01

Postby vsutherland01 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:05 pm

Jeremyteg wrote:I just won first place with a story that had more than one significant typo. If your story is good and the typos/grammar errors aren't too distracting, I wouldn't worry about it. wotf007

Really!?

That gives me hope haha. I finished reading mine and found a "to" instead of "too" and a missing "of". At least I didn't find 10 typos in the manuscript. I am hoping there are no more than 7 typos in my script. I found 5. I was so busy and sleep deprived from reworking major things that I missed little stuff here and there.
2018 Q1 -

Jeremyteg

Postby Jeremyteg » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:15 pm

vsutherland01 wrote:
Jeremyteg wrote:I just won first place with a story that had more than one significant typo. If your story is good and the typos/grammar errors aren't too distracting, I wouldn't worry about it. wotf007

Really!?

That gives me hope haha. I finished reading mine and found a "to" instead of "too" and a missing "of". At least I didn't find 10 typos in the manuscript. I am hoping there are no more than 7 typos in my script. I found 5. I was so busy and sleep deprived from reworking major things that I missed little stuff here and there.

Yep. I wouldn't fret too much about typos. What matters is the story itself. If typos are substantial enough to make the story unreadable or incomprehensible then yeah, they might see you disqualified. But if you're finding less than ten I would be very surprised if they are that significant.

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:35 pm

Jeremyteg wrote:
vsutherland01 wrote:

Really!?

Yep. I wouldn't fret too much about typos. What matters is the story itself. If typos are substantial enough to make the story unreadable or incomprehensible then yeah, they might see you disqualified. But if you're finding less than ten I would be very surprised if they are that significant.

Dave has stated that he can ignore a couple typos but it depends if they are all in the opening or not. That could be part of my problems but even when I have someone help with the editing I don't go very far.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

Jeremyteg

Postby Jeremyteg » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:36 pm

LDWriter2 wrote:
Jeremyteg wrote:
vsutherland01 wrote:
Really!?

Dave has stated that he can ignore a couple typos but it depends if they are all in the opening or not. That could be part of my problems but even when I have someone help with the editing I don't go very far.

There are two reasons why I can imagine a story would be rejected for typos. First, if the typos themselves are distracting and/or make the story incomprehensible, such that the narrative itself is inaccessible to the reader because of them. Second, a massive quantity of typos indicates a lack of attention to detail and care and would signal to a reader that there will probably be a lack of attention to detail in the structure and content of the story. In either case, it's going to take a lot of typos to disqualify an otherwise good story. If you're worried enough about typos to be posting about them on this forum, then you are probably taking enough care to weed them out of your story.

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:11 am

And since we're talking about typos, maybe this is a good time to mention that text reader programs do read out what you've written whereas when you read it through you read what you think you've written.

Alternative is getting a helpful friend to read it for you, or even, some say, to reading it aloud.
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

vsutherland01

Postby vsutherland01 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:47 am

Ishmael wrote:And since we're talking about typos, maybe this is a good time to mention that text reader programs do read out what you've written whereas when you read it through you read what you think you've written.

Alternative is getting a helpful friend to read it for you, or even, some say, to reading it aloud.

That is a great idea!

I will do that next time. The typos are spread out throughout the manuscript, nothing much is in the beginning, so we will see. Either way there is nothing I can do about it now. I was so mentally fried from bigger editing problems that a few things slipped past me towards the end. I had less typos before final round of edits and then towards the end a few slipped in because of lack of sleep and other things. Next time I won't have that problem.

As goofy as it sounds the typos happened because of story improvements, so my story and prose was improved at the price of a few typos.
2018 Q1 -

vjalrik

Postby vjalrik » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:52 pm

Got my Q3 in June 1st, and I have to say, I am on it! wotf024 I think I already have my Q4 done and ready to go (a shorter one, finished last night), though I'm going to see if I can get it through a few pro markets before the deadline.
V34: SF, R, R, Q4-pending
V33 (Q2 on): HM, SHM, R
Latest sold stories (9 total):
"The Right Decision," Digital Science Fiction, Dec. 21, 2016
"Fossil Fuel," Helios Quarterly Magazine, Dec. 13, 2016

Michael Kingswood

Postby Michael Kingswood » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:09 pm

So...yeah.

Note to self. When changing IT settings in your writing business, there can be...unexpected...results. I changed my writerly email last fall, and tried to adjust the email used for my profile here. And got locked out completely. Several months of trying to fix it later, it appears my old account got wiped, so I'm back in a new account.

That was not meant as a slam on the board admins here at all. Stuff happens, and no harm no foul. Did miss the chatter around here a bit though.

wotf007

Anyway, for what it's worth, I'm in for Q3. Got my entry in on 11 May.

Q2 was an R. Q1...geez I don't even remember what happened with Q1. I guess an R? I've lost track, so my official count at the bottom is just an estimate now. Not that it matters, right? wotf001

Anyway, back with you guys here. We'll see how it goes moving forward, eh? wotf008

Have fun, and good luck everybody!

V/R,
Michael
Michael Kingswood
http://michaelkingswood.com

SHM x1
HM x5
R x10

AliciaCay

Postby AliciaCay » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:04 am

Ishmael wrote:And since we're talking about typos, maybe this is a good time to mention that text reader programs do read out what you've written whereas when you read it through you read what you think you've written.

Ishmael, you have mentioned this advice before - I think it's fantastic! - and after reading it I started doing something like it. I tweaked it a bit, so what I do is read my story out loud while recording it. I then go somewhere quiet to sit and listen to the playback. For me it works wonderfully for catching typos, figuring out word rearrangement issues, where breathing breaks should be (does that comma belong there?!), if my paragraph breaks makes sense, etc.
Also, I find doing this helps makes the story feel fresh to me, by listening to it, and I don't get too caught up in staring at the page trying to see the forest but for all the trees... wotf008

D.Kav

Postby D.Kav » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:34 am

For whomever may be keeping track...
I submitted back on June 9th.
Good luck all

klaatu

Postby klaatu » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:48 am

Just keeps getting bigger and bigger:

David Farland said
Ugh. So I'm wrapping up judging on the largest quarter of Writers of the Future ever, then go to check out quarter three, only to find that there are 15 percent more entries than ever!

Stop entering, people. I don't need the extra competition. ;)

Steve
http://www.stevecameron.com.au

vjalrik

Postby vjalrik » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:32 am

klaatu wrote:Just keeps getting bigger and bigger:

David Farland said
Ugh. So I'm wrapping up judging on the largest quarter of Writers of the Future ever, then go to check out quarter three, only to find that there are 15 percent more entries than ever!

Steve

Meanwhile, Submission Grinder says:

So what's the deal? Is it just new people not logging their subs?
V34: SF, R, R, Q4-pending
V33 (Q2 on): HM, SHM, R
Latest sold stories (9 total):
"The Right Decision," Digital Science Fiction, Dec. 21, 2016
"Fossil Fuel," Helios Quarterly Magazine, Dec. 13, 2016

hlreinhold

Postby hlreinhold » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:38 am

vjalrik wrote:
klaatu wrote:Just keeps getting bigger and bigger:

David Farland said

Steve

Meanwhile, Submission Grinder says:

So what's the deal? Is it just new people not logging their subs?

I guess, if they're new to this game, they might not yet know about the Grinder. Or maybe they just use Duotrope.
SF HM HM

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:42 am

I've never actually used the Grinder. I keep track of things privately in a spreadsheet.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

LaurieG

Postby LaurieG » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:20 pm

Welcome back, Michael Kingswood.

2 time Finalist
4 time Semi-Finalist
lots of HM's and Rejects

RuiMiguelCid

Postby RuiMiguelCid » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:28 am

I submitted to Q3 back on the 28th of May. I like the story, my only problem is that I like it less than my Q2 submission and that one ended with a SHM. So I have my doubts that this story is going to win this for me. But then again.... who knows?
My contest history:

R - R - R - R - R - HM - HM - HM - HM - HM - SHM - HM - R

rebeccy88

Postby rebeccy88 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:33 pm

Does anyone know when the deadline for Q3 submission was? I'm trying to figure out if I'm Q2 or 3 because....I have mom brain and I forget. Subbed April 23, got a confirmation email.

My sub has been lost before so I'm extra twitchy
Becky DeVendra
@beckydevendra
https://beckydevendra.wordpress.com/

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:51 pm

rebeccy88 wrote:Does anyone know when the deadline for Q3 submission was? I'm trying to figure out if I'm Q2 or 3 because....I have mom brain and I forget. Subbed April 23, got a confirmation email.

My sub has been lost before so I'm extra twitchy

Q3 went from April to June, so you're in for that.

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:10 pm

RuiMiguelCid wrote:I submitted to Q3 back on the 28th of May. I like the story, my only problem is that I like it less than my Q2 submission and that one ended with a SHM. So I have my doubts that this story is going to win this for me. But then again.... who knows?

These days I always doubt my stories. This one has a different twist to it, which I won't go into details about and hopefully he likes that but the writing is always doubtful even if two caught his attention for a moment.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”