Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
KristyEmber

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Postby KristyEmber » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:29 pm

I did not place either :(

I'm not as sad about this outcome as I expected to be. Finalist is still pretty awesome, and like peony, they're holding it for published finalist. That's, what, like a 1 in 15 chance of getting to the workshop? 2 in 15 if they take two PFs. Still pretty good odds considering the scale of the competition.

I *dont* enjoy the prospect of waiting till quarter 4 is judged before finding out though.

Big hugs to peony and KD who have been the best finalist buds a girl could wish for. The odds were not in our favour.

preston

Postby preston » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:14 pm

Condolences and congrats Kristy, Peony and KD. I hope you get to be published finalists! That would be awesome. Or winning the next quarter! You can do it!

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:16 am

At least you three didn't have to twitch for long. Finalist is awesome! I hope to be like you someday wotf007
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:35 am

Winners announced! And the first place winner represents something of a first AFAIK--she's married to a former winner, Eric James Stone. We're usually joking when we say WotF is like a family...
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:16 am

MattDovey wrote:Winners announced! And the first place winner represents something of a first AFAIK--she's married to a former winner, Eric James Stone. We're usually joking when we say WotF is like a family...

This is completely amazing and got me over any little funk I might have been in about Q3. And made me insanely determined to win Q4 because really, any chance to hang with another creative couple is not to be passed up.
WOTF: HM x 6, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:18 am

KD Julicher wrote:
MattDovey wrote:. And hey, you made it to finalist once, you can make it again--just ask KD wotf011

If you can make finalist once, you can make it five times. That's my goal.

I didn't win. This time. There's another quarter coming up in three weeks. Looking forward to Joni's next call.

Putting on my new suit ...

Condolences again to our three finalists, we were rooting for you! It's still a great honor, and shows how close to the bull's-eye you struck. You will hit the mark next time. Or the next. Just keep shooting arrows and drawing bead on that target. : )

KD brings up a conundrum I've wondered about. You could actually "pro out" becoming a published finalist! It's a good problem to have, but I'd rather not be in the position of deciding to take the bird in the hand, or declining to be a published finalist in order to qualify for a future win. WOTF publication IS a SFWA qualified pro market after all. Kind of funny being offered to be a published finalist could actually take you *out* of the contest, depending on your sales.

It would be a Twilight Zone moment.

Back to writing!

~Moon~

Luthien

Postby Luthien » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:54 am

I'm embarrassed that my first post is such a stupid question, but here we are:

I got the email saying I got an Honorable Mention, but my name doesn't show up on the list of HMs on the blog post. Is that because I didn't request a certificate or was I overlooked?

jficke13

Postby jficke13 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:07 am

Luthien wrote:I'm embarrassed that my first post is such a stupid question, but here we are:

I got the email saying I got an Honorable Mention, but my name doesn't show up on the list of HMs on the blog post. Is that because I didn't request a certificate or was I overlooked?

I think you need to reply to the notice email to both get a certificate and to get listed on the blog post.
HM x2, Vol. 34 Q4 - 3rd. www.jonficke.wordpress.com

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:45 am

Agreed, I believe you do need to reply.
Even if to say, thanks! List me on the blog.
Or W/E.

But either way, congrats!
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:51 pm

Luthien wrote:I'm embarrassed that my first post is such a stupid question, but here we are:

I hope you did request your certificate, Luthien, they're the coolest. And ditto on Dustin's comment, you have to reply to be listed. And even then, you can be missed on the list. Don't ask me how I know. : )

Happy conga rats on your placing! That's a BIG DEAL!

Cheerios,

Moon

morganb

Postby morganb » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:00 am

Wulf Moon wrote:
...KD brings up a conundrum I've wondered about. You could actually "pro out" becoming a published finalist! It's a good problem to have, but I'd rather not be in the position of deciding to take the bird in the hand, or declining to be a published finalist in order to qualify for a future win. WOTF publication IS a SFWA qualified pro market after all. Kind of funny being offered to be a published finalist could actually take you *out* of the contest, depending on your sales.

It would be a Twilight Zone moment.

Back to writing!

~Moon~

I'm so glad I'm far enough behind that I don't have to make such decisions at this point! LOL

~ Morgan
"If you can do it for joy, you can do it forever."
- Stephen King

Infrequent posts about this whole writing experience thing...http://mbroadhead.blogspot.com/

R, R, HM

RuiMiguelCid

Postby RuiMiguelCid » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:51 am

To Kristy, Peony and KD Julicher...

Sorry to hear that you didn't win this time. But, as somebody else as already said, you're definitely examples for the rest of us. If you made it finalist once you can make it again. And, in Julicher's case, you can definitely make finalist 5 time and finally get that win. Damn... that would be so freaking impressive!

Keep trying and hopefully all of us will end up at the awards some time. Hell, maybe we'll even meet each other there. If not this year, then the next one. Or the one after that! What's important is to never stop trying.
My contest history:

R - R - R - R - R - HM - HM - HM - HM - HM - SHM - HM - R

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:56 pm

Welp, I just had a heart attack thinking it was Q4 results. Anyone else?
Still, can't wait to get that certificate!
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: Q2 R, Q3 HM, Q4 R
Vol35: pending

Blogging about my writing journey at: http://www.rebeccaetreasure.com/blog

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”