Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
disgruntledpeony

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:41 am

Randy Hulshizer wrote:Shoot. I really thought I was going to make it in this quarter. Life has a way of getting in the way sometimes. Well, I do still have a few days...
wotf004

You can do It! I believe in you. wotf024
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, F, R

jficke13

Postby jficke13 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:02 am

I'm in. No repeat of last quarter's final day submission trouble this time!
HM x2, Vol. 34 Q4 - 3rd. www.jonficke.wordpress.com

hlreinhold

Postby hlreinhold » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:12 am

I'm still digesting the excellent feedback I got from everyone who critiqued my story. I want to let a few ideas sit for a while before I commit to them in editing. Or maybe I just like the last-minute scramble... wotf011
SF HM HM

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:29 am

hlreinhold wrote:I'm still digesting the excellent feedback I got from everyone who critiqued my story. I want to let a few ideas sit for a while before I commit to them in editing. Or maybe I just like the last-minute scramble... wotf011

I hate the last minute scramble. wotf004 I want mine done by the end of the week, if at all possible. I have other projects I need to be working on.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

J'nae Rae

Postby J'nae Rae » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:33 am

Don't know if I'll make it in this quarter. I've submitted to my writer's group to get feedback, but I know I rushed the ending. In the end It might make into the next if I can keep it in the max word count. It seems to want to be at least a long novelette at it's shortest the more I think about it.

wotf017
HM Q1 2015, Q3 & Q4 2016.
R Q1 & Q2 2017
The Trade's On, in Issue 8 of Sci Phi Journal, November 2015
Naidin's Song: Blood Bound, published August 2016
Nine-Tenths, on Empyreome (Weekly Flash Fiction,) June 2017

wotf024

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:00 am

I have a story almost ready. A little more editing and I'll submit.
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:58 am

I finally had time to do a big push yesterday, and got myself to draft three. I feel a lot better about the story as a whole, but I need to let it sit for a few days before I make my final polishing run.

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:54 pm

I got my final reader comments back today and felt like they warranted some revisions, so I'm still polishing. I'd almost submitted last night but decided to wait, I'm glad I did. We still have seven days. Tons of time.
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: Q2 R, Q3 HM, Q4 R
Vol35: pending

Blogging about my writing journey at: http://www.rebeccaetreasure.com/blog

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:37 am

Well, I'm in. I had to submit it to stop myself fiddling with it every day. Best of luck to all entrants and an enormous thanks to all of you who swapped with me- your feedback was invaluable!
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: Q2 R, Q3 HM, Q4 R
Vol35: pending

Blogging about my writing journey at: http://www.rebeccaetreasure.com/blog

AndrewDWallin

Postby AndrewDWallin » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:00 am

J'nae Rae wrote:Don't know if I'll make it in this quarter. I've submitted to my writer's group to get feedback, but I know I rushed the ending. In the end It might make into the next if I can keep it in the max word count. It seems to want to be at least a long novelette at it's shortest the more I think about it.

I sympathize with this. My current story feels like it wants to go longer than the max word limit.

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:21 am

For those who are worried about going over wordcount, it might be worth looking over your scenes and seeing if there's a way to combine the conflicts from multiple scenes into one shorter, more dramatic one. I ended up doing this by mistake when I was rewriting my first scene, and it a) made the first scene more powerful and b) let me cut off about 2,000 words from the length because the first scene now did the job that it had previously taken the first and second scenes to accomplish.

AndrewDWallin

Postby AndrewDWallin » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:53 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:For those who are worried about going over wordcount, it might be worth looking over your scenes and seeing if there's a way to combine the conflicts from multiple scenes into one shorter, more dramatic one. I ended up doing this by mistake when I was rewriting my first scene, and it a) made the first scene more powerful and b) let me cut off about 2,000 words from the length because the first scene now did the job that it had previously taken the first and second scenes to accomplish.

That's good advice. As I reflect on it, I can probably put it to good use with my first two scenes. I think they're both important in their own right, (and my thought was that it would be a "frying pan into the fire" situation) but pacing-wise, having them be two separate scenes, back-to-back could risk some reader fatigue, I think. Combining them in some way might be the ticket. Thanks!

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:23 pm

Subbed, for the first time in a year. Not with the awesome story I got stuck writing halfway through, or the less awesome story I got incredible feedback that I can't execute on yet, but with something I've had and thought I couldn't use because [reasons]. I pulled it back out and addressed those reasons and... well, it's in the queue.

Maybe I can write something better for Q4, if my novel edits allow....
WOTF: HM x 6, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:55 pm

KD Julicher wrote:Subbed, for the first time in a year. Not with the awesome story I got stuck writing halfway through, or the less awesome story I got incredible feedback that I can't execute on yet, but with something I've had and thought I couldn't use because [reasons]. I pulled it back out and addressed those reasons and... well, it's in the queue.

Maybe I can write something better for Q4, if my novel edits allow....

Well, it's good you entered and maybe your redoing of those reasons might be enough after all. That type of thing has happened before.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:56 pm

Thought I better get to work on my story but then I remembered I had gone over it already using the last crit. So I just need to go over once more to check things and off it goes. That could be Saturday evening.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:02 pm

I'm quite confident that my story won't make it into this quarter and, for some strange reason, I'm okay with that.

Then I think about the fact that I'm still waiting on my Q2 response and I start to sweat...
WotF Results:
  • R:1
  • HM:4
  • sHM:0
  • SF:0
  • F:0
  • (Last: HM, Q4.v34)

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:50 pm

Well, mine is done. I will wait until Sunday afternoon to send it in just in case something crystallizes during the night I remember a certain line was actually taken from a TV-movie etc or ??

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

J'nae Rae

Postby J'nae Rae » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:24 pm

Well, the feedback I got from everybody convinced me even more it's a longer piece, so I'm definitely not making it in this quarter. I don't even know if when done it will still be within word count for this contest.

wotf013
HM Q1 2015, Q3 & Q4 2016.
R Q1 & Q2 2017
The Trade's On, in Issue 8 of Sci Phi Journal, November 2015
Naidin's Song: Blood Bound, published August 2016
Nine-Tenths, on Empyreome (Weekly Flash Fiction,) June 2017

wotf024

Imagination Vortex

Postby Imagination Vortex » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:17 pm

I'm in! Feels good to be back after a year of no subs! Hopefully my dry spell is over and I can move on to the next story. Would really love to win with this one but I'll have to get through the twitching first. Ah it's all coming back to me now!
~You Are Now Entering Stephanie's Vortex~
WOTF: 1x Silver, 4x HM, 12x R
IOTF: 1x Semi, 2x R, 4x Into the Vortex

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:51 pm

Mine is in.

A little different from my usual-no masses of tiny sparkly purple flying unicorns jumping out to scare people, got tired describing them in every way possible. The crits helped with this one, but it is after all my writing.

Someone on Q2 forum talked about being dark before dawn. A couple of us here live in darkness-at least concerning writing-and one of those is no longer with us(RIP), even though most of the writers here grow out of it.

We shall see in this case. As I said to one critiquer maybe I spend too much time on the setting and not other aspects of writing in the opening. Maybe I have too many grammar errors and typos even when I have someone who helped with that. wotf017 Maybe I lose him with my endings, if he gets that far. I usually assume he and other editors don't.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

vsutherland01

Postby vsutherland01 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:06 pm

Anyone wanna do a last minute critique swap?

I am about done with mine. The deadline is approaching so it's about time to let go and move onto the next idea.
2017 | Q1 - R | Q2 - R | Q3 - HM | Q4 - R |
2018 Q1 -

morshana

Postby morshana » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:04 pm

Oh, no! Time slipped away from me this quarter, but I'm nearly done with the third book in the series I'm on. wotf015 wotf019

*frantically searches for any possible ready to submit as-is stories*

*pulls hair and runs in circles while Kitty leaves a trail of chocolate wrappers*
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:46 pm

wotf039 I HATE THIS STORY WITH THE FIERY PASSION OF A THOUSAND SUNS. wotf039

*sighs*

*keeps writing*

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:43 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:wotf039 I HATE THIS STORY WITH THE FIERY PASSION OF A THOUSAND SUNS. wotf039

*sighs*

*keeps writing*

Raises one eyebrow "Fascinating"

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:04 pm

LDWriter2 wrote:Raises one eyebrow "Fascinating"

wotf004 I was just frustrated because I can't seem to get my story where I want it to be. I'm in this weird place, writing-wise, where I can recognize the problems with my writing but don't always know how to fix them. I'm almost where I need to be with this story, I think, but I keep going through phases where I just want to burn the entire manuscript in a fire.

LaurieG

Postby LaurieG » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:44 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:wotf039 I HATE THIS STORY WITH THE FIERY PASSION OF A THOUSAND SUNS. wotf039

*sighs*

*keeps writing*

I hit that point with almost every story I write. Then comes the 'This is total crap' stage. Then I push through that and am ok.

And, Neil Gaiman goes through the same thing!
http://laurie-gail.livejournal.com

2 time Finalist
4 time Semi-Finalist
lots of HM's and Rejects

greenroom

Postby greenroom » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:08 am

How is it already June 28th? I haven't even started my story revision. I only have to change the characters goal, part of the worldbuiling, and the entire ending...
J. Deery Wray

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:13 am

LaurieG wrote:I hit that point with almost every story I write. Then comes the 'This is total crap' stage. Then I push through that and am ok.

And, Neil Gaiman goes through the same thing!

See, I hit the 'this is total crap' stage first, this time, which made things doubly frustrating. wotf020

Yeah, when I read he feels that way too it made me feel loads better.

greenroom wrote:How is it already June 28th? I haven't even started my story revision. I only have to change the characters goal, part of the worldbuiling, and the entire ending...

wotf004 That's really rough. Good luck!

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:46 am

There's nothing better than writing a huge chunk of text thinking that it's absolute crap, leaving it alone in disgust for the night, then coming back and reading it and realizing it's actually quite good. Makes the stress worthwhile.
WotF Results:
  • R:1
  • HM:4
  • sHM:0
  • SF:0
  • F:0
  • (Last: HM, Q4.v34)

LaurieG

Postby LaurieG » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:42 pm

michaeljwyantjr wrote:There's nothing better than writing a huge chunk of text thinking that it's absolute crap, leaving it alone in disgust for the night, then coming back and reading it and realizing it's actually quite good. Makes the stress worthwhile.

Yep.
http://laurie-gail.livejournal.com

2 time Finalist
4 time Semi-Finalist
lots of HM's and Rejects

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”