Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Michael Kingswood

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Postby Michael Kingswood » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:07 pm

LaurieG wrote:Welcome back, Michael Kingswood.

Thanks!

RuiMiguelCid wrote:I submitted to Q3 back on the 28th of May. I like the story, my only problem is that I like it less than my Q2 submission and that one ended with a SHM. So I have my doubts that this story is going to win this for me. But then again.... who knows?

Fun thing about this writer gig is it doesn't really matter what any of us thinks of any particular story we create. After all, we're the absolute worst judges of our own stuff. wotf017

Good luck!

wotf007
Michael Kingswood
http://michaelkingswood.com

SHM x1
HM x5
R x9

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:32 am

AliciaCay wrote:
Ishmael wrote:And since we're talking about typos, maybe this is a good time to mention that text reader programs do read out what you've written whereas when you read it through you read what you think you've written.

Alternative is getting a helpful friend to read it for you, or even, some say, to reading it aloud.

Ishmael, you have mentioned this advice before - I think it's fantastic! - and after reading it I started doing something like it. I tweaked it a bit, so what I do is read my story out loud while recording it. I then go somewhere quiet to sit and listen to the playback. For me it works wonderfully for catching typos, figuring out word rearrangement issues, where breathing breaks should be (does that comma belong there?!), if my paragraph breaks makes sense, etc.
Also, I find doing this helps makes the story feel fresh to me, by listening to it, and I don't get too caught up in staring at the page trying to see the forest but for all the trees... wotf008

Whenever I try using the text reader program just as a fail-safe, I regularly find errors I've missed. Silly little things like 'though' for 'through' for example. Also when I'm editing I seem quite often to leave 'the the' where maybe I've tried to shorten 'the shell of the turtle' to 'the turtle's shell' etc. You can snap the speed up to 150 wpm and still pick up the errors, I find.

What it won't do is pick up unclosed or unopened speech marks. I often do that too.
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 9 x HM, WotF batting average .545
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

greenroom

Postby greenroom » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:27 am

In the hopes that the first round Thursday might be creeping up on us...

April 17
Ishmael
April 20
Ysocks
April 24
WiseSerpant
April 27
Dale_carothers
April 30
Stcapps17
May 11
Michael Kingswood
May 28
RuiMiguelCid
June 1
Vjalrik
June 7
KathiLS
June 9
D.kav
June 13
Rebecca Birch
June 14
JasonChristopherDuke
June 20
Historythatneverwas
June 21
Jficke13
June 23
RSchibler
KD Julicher
June 24
Imagination Vortex
June 25
LDWriter2
June 28
Reigheena
AliciaCay
June 29
Katsincommand
hlreinhold
Smithr73
preston
disgruntledpeony
BethPowers
June 30
LaurieG
Dustin Adams
greenroom
Elratliff
Thegirlintheglasses
KristyEmber
Dustan Moon
vsutherland01
Tamlyn
Last edited by greenroom on Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
J. Deery Wray

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:31 am

wotf018 *sets up box fort*
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, ?

jficke13

Postby jficke13 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:32 pm

Not sure what the variance from year to year, but I just looked back to see when I got my response for Q3 from last year. I got the email on 9/16, so hopefully you brought some crackers into the box fort ;)
HM - R - R

KathiLS

Postby KathiLS » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:29 am

jficke13 wrote:Not sure what the variance from year to year, but I just looked back to see when I got my response for Q3 from last year. I got the email on 9/16, so hopefully you brought some crackers into the box fort ;)

Yep. 9/16 is when I got my call last year. No way am I prepared to start twitching this early. wotf003
~Kathi
Q3 V33 Finalist
The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease forever to be able to do it.
~Peter Pan

https://www.klschwengel.com

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”