Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
katsincommand
Posts: 826
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 3:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Postby katsincommand » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:42 pm

Update!!!

wotf057

wotf024
Dawn Bonanno
http://www.dmbonanno.com

SF 2 / HM 6 / R 16 / Total 24 Entries

User avatar
Ishmael
Posts: 1673
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:47 am
Location: Stirlingshire, UK

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Postby Ishmael » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:16 am

Great news.

wotf010
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

Dustan Moon
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:22 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Postby Dustan Moon » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:56 am

katsincommand wrote:Update!!!

wotf057

wotf024


Heh. My prediction came true. Conga rats, Dawn. The Force is with you.

~Moon~

katsincommand
Posts: 826
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 3:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Postby katsincommand » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:33 am

Haha. It helps to know how things work around here. :)
Dawn Bonanno
http://www.dmbonanno.com

SF 2 / HM 6 / R 16 / Total 24 Entries

LaurieG
Posts: 525
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:27 am
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Postby LaurieG » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:57 pm

I have heard nothing wotf018

Time to email Joni.
http://laurie-gail.livejournal.com

2 time Finalist
4 time Semi-Finalist
lots of HM's and Rejects

User avatar
Rebecca Birch
Posts: 1723
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:38 am
Location: Washington (state)
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Postby Rebecca Birch » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:45 pm

I sing the congratulating song! For K.D.! For a less disgruntled peony! For KristyEmber who makes it three!

With trumpet blast and bagpipe skirl I play your path to what lies beyond. Victory's most rousing song! Or dirge of falling just so near. Where sight of what could have been appears, to goad you on to fresh new feats. Feats as yet unseen, unknown. To be wrested from your minds, a new shining gleam. A new, as yet unsullied dream.

Sound the horn! Seize the day, and all that follow after! Sing a loud "callou, callay!"
Rebecca Birch
Finalist - 2, SF - 1, SHM - 1, HM - 16, R - 6
Words of Birch
Short Story Collection--Life Out of Harmony and Other Tales of Wonder

User avatar
MattDovey
Posts: 361
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:33 am
Location: England
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Postby MattDovey » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:28 pm

Congratulations Peony, Kristy and especially Kate, who clearly benefitted from sitting next to me at the v32 workshop ;)

(just kidding, her and Dan are awesomesauce all on their ownsome, and if anything the transfer went the other way)

Good luck with the next phone call, and with getting anything done at all in the next month!
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

User avatar
Rebecca Birch
Posts: 1723
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:38 am
Location: Washington (state)
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Postby Rebecca Birch » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:10 am

Rebecca Birch wrote:I sing the congratulating song! For K.D.! For a less disgruntled peony! For KristyEmber who makes it three!

With trumpet blast and bagpipe skirl I play your path to what lies beyond. Victory's most rousing song! Or dirge of falling just so near. Where sight of what could have been appears, to goad you on to fresh new feats. Feats as yet unseen, unknown. To be wrested from your minds, a new shining gleam. A new, as yet unsullied dream.

Sound the horn! Seize the day, and all that follow after! Sing a loud "callou, callay!"


Oh dear. I posted after taking Ambien. I'm not usually quite so . . . florid.

But the sentiment stands! Super congratulations, and good luck going forward!
Rebecca Birch
Finalist - 2, SF - 1, SHM - 1, HM - 16, R - 6
Words of Birch
Short Story Collection--Life Out of Harmony and Other Tales of Wonder

Dustan Moon
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:22 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Postby Dustan Moon » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:36 am

Rebecca Birch wrote:
Rebecca Birch wrote:I sing the congratulating song! For K.D.! For a less disgruntled peony! For KristyEmber who makes it three!

With trumpet blast and bagpipe skirl I play your path to what lies beyond. Victory's most rousing song! Or dirge of falling just so near. Where sight of what could have been appears, to goad you on to fresh new feats. Feats as yet unseen, unknown. To be wrested from your minds, a new shining gleam. A new, as yet unsullied dream.

Sound the horn! Seize the day, and all that follow after! Sing a loud "callou, callay!"


Oh dear. I posted after taking Ambien. I'm not usually quite so . . . florid.

But the sentiment stands! Super congratulations, and good luck going forward!


Hand that girl some WOTF pom poms and chainmail! GO, TEAM, GO!

~Moon~

LaurieG
Posts: 525
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:27 am
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Postby LaurieG » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:15 am

I just heard from Joni. HM for me. wotf014

After coming so close in the past, this was a letdown, as I thought this one had a better chance than my others. As is well known, the author is the worst critic of their own work.

Onward to the next story.
http://laurie-gail.livejournal.com

2 time Finalist
4 time Semi-Finalist
lots of HM's and Rejects

Dustan Moon
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:22 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Postby Dustan Moon » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:50 am

LaurieG wrote:I just heard from Joni. HM for me. wotf014

After coming so close in the past, this was a letdown, as I thought this one had a better chance than my others. As is well known, the author is the worst critic of their own work.

Onward to the next story.


Don't feel too bad, Laurie. There can be a gazillion reasons Dave didn't rate it higher, and sometimes, they don't have anything to do with writing. It's still just one man's opinion, and I can tell Dave's a great guy, but he's not God, and he's not the only editor that's buying right now. : ) That you got an HM is still a good thing. I remember eating with Kevin J. Anderson at the awards ceremony when it came to Seattle, and I told him about my HMs and SFs, and he said, "To get even one HM from this contest is a big deal, they don't give those out lightly. To have several, that's a really big deal, it means you're a good writer." And I know, the next question we ask ourselves is, Then why haven't I won this thing? Therein lies madness. : )

Instead of doubting the validity of something you believed in, just say, "Too bad he didn't like it. I still do." Don't revise it. Just say, "I'm going to send this out to somebody else. Today."

And then go write your next.

Keep writing. Keep sending.

~Moon~

george nik.
Posts: 824
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:10 pm
Location: Athens, Greece
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Postby george nik. » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:40 pm

Congrats to all the forumite Finalists! May you all win this quarter!

A SHM for me, which is not necessarily a bad thing, as it was the one item missing from my collection.

Except for Finalist of course, but there's still time for that. When I get down to writing a story suitable for WOTF, possibly.
George Nikolopoulos
WOTF: 1 SF, 1 SHM, 4 HM
Fiction (EN): 43 stories sold, 29 published
Fiction (GR): c.10 stories published & a children’s novel
Amazon Page

User avatar
disgruntledpeony
Posts: 593
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:50 pm

Congratulations, K.D. and Kristy! wotf010 I hope you both place. (It would be incredibly awesome if all three of us managed it, although I know odds are against it.)

RSchibler, I'm super glad you got an HM! Keep up the good work. wotf007

Rachelwrites: an HM is really good for a first quarter entry. My first entry got an R (and, looking back on things, it was definitely deserving). Getting an Honorable Mention means Dave probably read the story through start to finish and thought it was good enough to afford you special mention. While it is still a rejection, getting an HM is not small potatoes.

Congratulations on your first HM, vsutherland! In addition to the critiquing I mentioned earlier, I also recommend perusing Dave's blog (as well as that of other writers you're fond of/want to learn from). I've personally found this article (and the older articles linked in the comments) particularly helpful: http://davidfarland.com/2017/08/showing-telling-making/

Kudos on the SF, katsincommand. wotf007

Rebecca, your Ambien posts are amazing and awesome. wotf013

Congratulations and commisserations as appropriate to everyone else (especially Dustin and Ishmael, who are totally awesome). Keep fighting the good fight!

And thanks to everyone for all the congratulations and well-wishes! *blushes* I honestly thought this story was going to do poorly, because I hadn't gotten it where I wanted it to be. I guess I did better than I thought, but I'm still refusing to read it until results are in. If I do, I'll spot every single mistake I could possibly have made and my excitement will turn into depression. I'm going to enjoy the next few weeks of suspense in giddy ignorance! wotf024

(I wanted to be more active on the forums this weekend, but I got kidnapped by family and taken to the Renaissance Festival. It was a lot of fun, although we spent *way* too much money.)
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, F, R

KristyEmber
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:56 am

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Postby KristyEmber » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:28 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:
vsutherland01 wrote:I just got my first HM.

wotf008

Now to figure out how to make the next jump. No time to rest on my current submission.

Congrats to those who have made finalist! Do you got any advice on how to make that leap from HM? All the blog posts seem to point to profundity.

My honest suggestion would be to trade critiques with other forumites. Critiquing someone else's work can help you learn about other writing styles, and receiving critiques can help you realize problems with your own stories. Don't accept or deny critiques outright, though--consider everything carefully. The goal is to write your story, not someone else's, but to write it as best you can.


I second peony's advice. I think that the jump from HM to finalist is just ticking more of Dave's
Boxes in the one story, so using the wisdom
Of the forums and Dave's kicks is really important. Also, I did a class with Dave while
He was over in Australia, so if you can afford it, I'd highly recommend it. All those things he talks about in his kicks he goes into in more detail,. He also makes you write a ton and provides critique on your course work. I've had two sales and a finalist since, so it obviously paid off for me.

There is a lots of advice on the forum about just focussing on writing new stories, and while This is very good advice, I also believe in the power of revision. My finalist story is the first short story I ever wrote, with a lot of work put in to bring it up to my new standards (including lots of critiques). But I didn't give up on it - I believed in the characters and the story, and I managed to get Dave to believe in it too.

katsincommand
Posts: 826
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 3:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Postby katsincommand » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:01 pm

Rebecca Birch wrote:I sing the congratulating song! For K.D.! For a less disgruntled peony! For KristyEmber who makes it three!

With trumpet blast and bagpipe skirl I play your path to what lies beyond. Victory's most rousing song! Or dirge of falling just so near. Where sight of what could have been appears, to goad you on to fresh new feats. Feats as yet unseen, unknown. To be wrested from your minds, a new shining gleam. A new, as yet unsullied dream.

Sound the horn! Seize the day, and all that follow after! Sing a loud "callou, callay!"



Go Rebecca go!

wotf010
Dawn Bonanno
http://www.dmbonanno.com

SF 2 / HM 6 / R 16 / Total 24 Entries

LaurieG
Posts: 525
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:27 am
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Postby LaurieG » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:29 pm

Dustan Moon wrote:
LaurieG wrote:I just heard from Joni. HM for me. wotf014

After coming so close in the past, this was a letdown, as I thought this one had a better chance than my others. As is well known, the author is the worst critic of their own work.

Onward to the next story.


Don't feel too bad, Laurie. There can be a gazillion reasons Dave didn't rate it higher, and sometimes, they don't have anything to do with writing. It's still just one man's opinion, and I can tell Dave's a great guy, but he's not God, and he's not the only editor that's buying right now. : ) That you got an HM is still a good thing. I remember eating with Kevin J. Anderson at the awards ceremony when it came to Seattle, and I told him about my HMs and SFs, and he said, "To get even one HM from this contest is a big deal, they don't give those out lightly. To have several, that's a really big deal, it means you're a good writer." And I know, the next question we ask ourselves is, Then why haven't I won this thing? Therein lies madness. : )

Instead of doubting the validity of something you believed in, just say, "Too bad he didn't like it. I still do." Don't revise it. Just say, "I'm going to send this out to somebody else. Today."

And then go write your next.

Keep writing. Keep sending.

~Moon~



Thanks, Dunstan, That's helpful. And yes, I'm confident this story will sell elsewhere
http://laurie-gail.livejournal.com

2 time Finalist
4 time Semi-Finalist
lots of HM's and Rejects

historythatneverwas
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:13 pm
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Postby historythatneverwas » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:45 am

HM for me, which I'm really pleased about, since I've been doubting this story for a long time. But this gives me hope that it just hasn't found the right editor to love it yet!
Dawn Vogel
Website History That Never Was

KD Julicher
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:15 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Postby KD Julicher » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:55 am

Thanks for all the congrats, guys! Glad I've got Kristy and Peony here twitching with me.

MattDovey wrote:Good luck with the next phone call, and with getting anything done at all in the next month!



Hey, not to contradict Matt because he's awesome but the one thing I'd urge Kristy and Peony - and everyone else - is to not let the current quarter's prospects keep you from working on your next quarter. I'm polishing up my Q4 entry right now because at this point the one thing I know is that there's still a long way from "finalist" to "winner". I can't control what the judges do, but I can make sure I have my next entry in. Good chance we'll get the judging done before the quarter closes. If I win, I'll have another finished story I can try to publish elsewhere. If not I have my entry ready to go.

This holds true for when we're all sitting there waiting for the first wave, too. Sometimes you just know your current story is going to do well. I knew that about my V32 Q2 piece - my eventual PF. That and a bunch of life stuff meant my Q3 entry that year was a throwaway, and it got the R I deserved. Meanwhile a different non-winning finalist from Q2 made finalist again and won in Q3.

I missed four quarters of entering because of pregnancy and then baby brain. I'm not going to miss another.
WOTF: HM x 6, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

User avatar
disgruntledpeony
Posts: 593
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:03 am

KD Julicher wrote:Hey, not to contradict Matt because he's awesome but the one thing I'd urge Kristy and Peony - and everyone else - is to not let the current quarter's prospects keep you from working on your next quarter. I'm polishing up my Q4 entry right now because at this point the one thing I know is that there's still a long way from "finalist" to "winner". I can't control what the judges do, but I can make sure I have my next entry in. Good chance we'll get the judging done before the quarter closes. If I win, I'll have another finished story I can try to publish elsewhere. If not I have my entry ready to go.

That is the plan, for me--at least, hopefully. I had some other projects that took up a lot of my writing time for Q4, so I'm not sure I'll get an entry in--but I'm going to *try*, dangit! If I can't get the new story I drafted done in time, I plan to polish up one of my SHMs and see if I can bring it to the next level.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, F, R

amoskalik
Posts: 948
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:40 pm
Location: Detroit, MI
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Postby amoskalik » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:04 am

Congrats Finalists. How about a 1,2,3 forum sweep? And congrats to everyone else who placed or even entered (I hate not having entered. But I'm in Q4!)
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

Dustan Moon
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:22 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Postby Dustan Moon » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:28 pm

I wrote to Joni today after it appeared everyone had been pulled out of the brine except me. I'm officially pickled now with an HM! Actually, I don't feel too bad about this. The new story I had written for Q3 finished out on the last day at 21,000 actual words (not Dave count or I'd really be off the reservation), and I had no option at that late hour but to save it and will finish it off as a novel. But I still had a few hours before deadline, pulled up a story I wrote 20 years ago, did a pass over it, and sent it off to Joni just shy of midnight. It's kind of cool it still ranked, being such an early, and in my opinion, original but clumsy work.

I checked my stack. This makes the 10th HM, SHM, or Semi I've gotten in the three years or so I started writing and submitting again. (Bad stuff happens, but I'm back). I haven't submitted every quarter, but pretty darn close.

My Q4 feels good, got 2400 words done on it today. If I can just keep it shorter this time around! I know I'm a novelist trying to disguise himself as a short story writer, but I'd really like to win this before moving on. As do we all. : )

Congrats again to everyone that submitted. Ishmael, if you pro out, at least you'll go down in style! Those are some beautiful anthologies and great credits!

To everyone: Don't give up. Keep writing. Keep sending.

~Moon~

vsutherland01
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:20 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Postby vsutherland01 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:03 pm

KristyEmber wrote:I second peony's advice. I think that the jump from HM to finalist is just ticking more of Dave's
Boxes in the one story, so using the wisdom
Of the forums and Dave's kicks is really important. Also, I did a class with Dave while
He was over in Australia, so if you can afford it, I'd highly recommend it. All those things he talks about in his kicks he goes into in more detail,. He also makes you write a ton and provides critique on your course work. I've had two sales and a finalist since, so it obviously paid off for me.

There is a lots of advice on the forum about just focussing on writing new stories, and while This is very good advice, I also believe in the power of revision. My finalist story is the first short story I ever wrote, with a lot of work put in to bring it up to my new standards (including lots of critiques). But I didn't give up on it - I believed in the characters and the story, and I managed to get Dave to believe in it too.



Thanks for this. I am reaching out to as many people as I can for critique. I have read a lot of Dave's blog over the course of the last Qaurter, but if you have a few favorite entries that I haven't got around to reading I would love to take a look at them, and as always if you or anyone else wants to story swap I am always game.

I am excited about my story and working hard on it. I want to keep improving.
2017 | Q1 - R | Q2 - R | Q3 - HM | Q4 - R |
2018 Q1 -

AliciaCay
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Postby AliciaCay » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:07 pm

wotf055

BTW, you guys are a wonderful bunch, and I feel a sort of parental swelling of pride for the three among you that made Finalist - CONGRATS!!
Sending positive and calming (for the nerves you know) thoughts your way!
Last edited by AliciaCay on Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
V32: HM (Q4)
V33: HM, HM, SHM, HM
V34: R, R, HM, Q4-TBD
https://aliciacay.com
"I turned silences and nights into words. What was unutterable, I wrote down. I made the whirling world stand still." -Arthur Rimbaud

AliciaCay
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Postby AliciaCay » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:07 pm

Dustan Moon wrote:
LaurieG wrote:I just heard from Joni. HM for me. wotf014

After coming so close in the past, this was a letdown, as I thought this one had a better chance than my others. As is well known, the author is the worst critic of their own work.

Onward to the next story.


Don't feel too bad, Laurie. There can be a gazillion reasons Dave didn't rate it higher, and sometimes, they don't have anything to do with writing. It's still just one man's opinion, and I can tell Dave's a great guy, but he's not God, and he's not the only editor that's buying right now. : ) That you got an HM is still a good thing. I remember eating with Kevin J. Anderson at the awards ceremony when it came to Seattle, and I told him about my HMs and SFs, and he said, "To get even one HM from this contest is a big deal, they don't give those out lightly. To have several, that's a really big deal, it means you're a good writer." And I know, the next question we ask ourselves is, Then why haven't I won this thing? Therein lies madness. : )

Instead of doubting the validity of something you believed in, just say, "Too bad he didn't like it. I still do." Don't revise it. Just say, "I'm going to send this out to somebody else. Today."

And then go write your next.

Keep writing. Keep sending.

~Moon~


May I just say Mr. Moon, that I appreciate your encouraging posts, and so needed to hear Kevin J. Anderson's words today. I feel stuck in HM land and it is nice to be reminded that it's no small feat. But, the madness you mentioned, that therein lays within the "Why haven't I won" question - yeah totally true story.
V32: HM (Q4)
V33: HM, HM, SHM, HM
V34: R, R, HM, Q4-TBD
https://aliciacay.com
"I turned silences and nights into words. What was unutterable, I wrote down. I made the whirling world stand still." -Arthur Rimbaud

Dustan Moon
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:22 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Postby Dustan Moon » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:17 pm

AliciaCay wrote:
Dustan Moon wrote:
LaurieG wrote:I just heard from Joni. HM for me. wotf014

After coming so close in the past, this was a letdown, as I thought this one had a better chance than my others. As is well known, the author is the worst critic of their own work.

Onward to the next story.


Don't feel too bad, Laurie. There can be a gazillion reasons Dave didn't rate it higher, and sometimes, they don't have anything to do with writing. It's still just one man's opinion, and I can tell Dave's a great guy, but he's not God, and he's not the only editor that's buying right now. : ) That you got an HM is still a good thing. I remember eating with Kevin J. Anderson at the awards ceremony when it came to Seattle, and I told him about my HMs and SFs, and he said, "To get even one HM from this contest is a big deal, they don't give those out lightly. To have several, that's a really big deal, it means you're a good writer." And I know, the next question we ask ourselves is, Then why haven't I won this thing? Therein lies madness. : )

Instead of doubting the validity of something you believed in, just say, "Too bad he didn't like it. I still do." Don't revise it. Just say, "I'm going to send this out to somebody else. Today."

And then go write your next.

Keep writing. Keep sending.

~Moon~


May I just say Mr. Moon, that I appreciate your encouraging posts, and so needed to hear Kevin J. Anderson's words today. I feel stuck in HM land and it is nice to be reminded that it's no small feat. But, the madness you mentioned, that therein lays within the "Why haven't I won" question - yeah totally true story.


You're welcome, Alicia. : ) You can't pin your validity as a writer on this contest. That is a mistake. I made it in the past, and that WILL drive you crazy. If you win this contest, great. You certainly have the skills to do so, your contest credits reveal that. And it is the best paying market for short stories, and it comes with so many extras, it would be crazy not to keep trying. But each editor comes with their own particular tastes, Dave included. Even when he turned me down for finalist, he wrote in his critique that he does believe I'll sell the story somewhere else. That says volumes. Of course, I have to send it somewhere else if I'm going to find that editor that likes Chunky Monkey.

Keep believing in yourself. Keep writing. Keep sending. And not just to this market. : )

Warmth and sunshine,

~Moon~

User avatar
disgruntledpeony
Posts: 593
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:43 pm

Just heard back from Joni. I'm not a winner, but they did ask to hold my story for potential inclusion in the anthology. Also, Tim Powers apparently loved it, so I'm pretty darn geeked about that. wotf007
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, F, R

AliciaCay
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Postby AliciaCay » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:13 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:Just heard back from Joni. I'm not a winner, but they did ask to hold my story for potential inclusion in the anthology. Also, Tim Powers apparently loved it, so I'm pretty darn geeked about that. wotf007


Aww Peony, I'm sorry. Although, maybe this is more exciting. You'll get to go as a PF this go-round (just putting that intention out there), and again when you win!!

You got this. wotf024
V32: HM (Q4)
V33: HM, HM, SHM, HM
V34: R, R, HM, Q4-TBD
https://aliciacay.com
"I turned silences and nights into words. What was unutterable, I wrote down. I made the whirling world stand still." -Arthur Rimbaud

Dustan Moon
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:22 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Postby Dustan Moon » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:06 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:Just heard back from Joni. I'm not a winner, but they did ask to hold my story for potential inclusion in the anthology. Also, Tim Powers apparently loved it, so I'm pretty darn geeked about that. wotf007


Disgruntled Peony, very sorry, we were rooting for you. Now read what I said above to Alicia. : )

And yeah, it would make my year to know Tim Powers loved something I wrote. He is an awesome guy and a fantastic writer, one of the greatest of our time, and probably the most underestimated. You got a nod from one of the greats. Well done!

Now get your next in!

~Moon~

User avatar
MattDovey
Posts: 361
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:33 am
Location: England
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Postby MattDovey » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:31 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:Just heard back from Joni. I'm not a winner, but they did ask to hold my story for potential inclusion in the anthology. Also, Tim Powers apparently loved it, so I'm pretty darn geeked about that. wotf007


Blimey, that was quick. Commiserations on not placing, but you never know with PF; it's worth holding out three/four months for. And hey, you made it to finalist once, you can make it again--just ask KD wotf011

(Also seconding all the praise for Tim, who is absolutely brilliant, so to get a compliment from him is amazing!)
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

KD Julicher
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:15 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 34

Postby KD Julicher » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:40 am

MattDovey wrote:. And hey, you made it to finalist once, you can make it again--just ask KD wotf011



If you can make finalist once, you can make it five times. That's my goal.

I didn't win. This time. There's another quarter coming up in three weeks. Looking forward to Joni's next call.
WOTF: HM x 6, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist


Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest