Questions: Scene breaks

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
AndrewDWallin

Re: Questions: Scene breaks

Postby AndrewDWallin » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:11 am

Wulf Moon wrote:
AndrewDWallin wrote:My stories tend to go long and so I made sure that the one I submitted for Q4 was under the standard manuscript format based word count just to be on the safe side. If my story gets rejected, I want to at least make sure its not rejected for a technical foul.

You might want to read Martin Shoemaker's new thread, Goodbye, Publisher's Word Count! David Farland weighed in while we were talking about this on Facebook.

Thank you! I saw your post, and the FB thread, and read them both with great interest.

I'm with you that I think I'm a novelist at heart, but after reading your post, I realize I need to focus on writing stories in the 5-7K word range (at least for this contest).

jficke13

Postby jficke13 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:13 am

AndrewDWallin wrote:
Wulf Moon wrote:
AndrewDWallin wrote:My stories tend to go long and so I made sure that the one I submitted for Q4 was under the standard manuscript format based word count just to be on the safe side. If my story gets rejected, I want to at least make sure its not rejected for a technical foul.

You might want to read Martin Shoemaker's new thread, Goodbye, Publisher's Word Count! David Farland weighed in while we were talking about this on Facebook.

Thank you! I saw your post, and the FB thread, and read them both with great interest.

I'm with you that I think I'm a novelist at heart, but after reading your post, I realize I need to focus on writing stories in the 5-7K word range (at least for this contest).

Don't be afraid of short. My 3rd was just barely bigger than flash (aprx 2k words)
HM x2, Vol. 34 Q4 - 3rd. http://www.jonficke.com

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:08 pm

jficke13 wrote:
AndrewDWallin wrote:
Wulf Moon wrote:

Don't be afraid of short. My 3rd was just barely bigger than flash (aprx 2k words)

Yeah, but that's because you've got the POWER OF CHEESE working for you, jficke! wotf001

~Moon~

AndrewDWallin

Postby AndrewDWallin » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:09 pm

jficke13 wrote:
AndrewDWallin wrote:
Wulf Moon wrote:

Good info. Thanks!

For me, it's less a fear of short, and more a- "how do I wrap my mind around this?" -kind of thing. I'm kind of scratching my head about how to get character, conflict, and setting in that small of a word count (obviously highlighting the depths of my inexperience here. Lol.)

Looks like I need to bang out a series of Rs (4 in 35!) while I play with the constraints. :D

jficke13

Postby jficke13 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:27 pm

AndrewDWallin wrote:
jficke13 wrote:
AndrewDWallin wrote:

Good info. Thanks!

For me, it's less a fear of short, and more a- "how do I wrap my mind around this?" -kind of thing. I'm kind of scratching my head about how to get character, conflict, and setting in that small of a word count (obviously highlighting the depths of my inexperience here. Lol.)

Looks like I need to bang out a series of Rs (4 in 35!) while I play with the constraints. :D

One thing that I've taken to heart (and am definitely still working on) is "In late-out early." I almost always end up cutting/consolidating my opening because I'm opening before the conflict starts.

Also, Writing Excuses last week had an interview with a screen writer that suggested an exercise of describing your character in as few words as possible like you might see in a screenplay. The example he used was something like "[Character] looked like an alcoholic superman." He said something like, "In six words you totally picture the character and can know something about him." That stuck out and made me want to work on making my prose do multiple things to convey more than one thing at a time.

Also, get 4 in 35 but aim high! Nothing says you won't catch lightning in a bottle.
HM x2, Vol. 34 Q4 - 3rd. http://www.jonficke.com

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:50 am

jficke: That "alcoholic superman" trick works because of what Algis Budrys always said. The story isn't happening on the paper, it's happening in the reader's mind. Our words are triggers to evoke images, and each reader is going to tack their own images to those icons we assemble on the page. Once we understand this, we really don't have to describe as much as we think we do. But we do have to use the best trigger words to help evoke the kind of image we want our reader to materialize in their head. Yours was a powerful example.

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”