Question about rules - Publishing Story

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Mr. Salvatore

Question about rules - Publishing Story

Postby Mr. Salvatore » Mon May 29, 2017 8:26 am

Hi everyone!

I do know that the WotF-contest only accepts unpublished stories.
But what if the story (running in this quarter) gets published after this quarter is over? More specific: What if I send out the story to magazines now - while the contest is still running - but the date of publication will be after this quarter ends?
That shouldn't be a problem, right? Or is it unwise for some reason I'm not aware of?
Any insights appreciated. :)

disgruntledpeony

Re: Question about rules - Publishing Story

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon May 29, 2017 8:57 am

I really don't recommend duplicate submissions unless everyone involved offers a non-exclusive contract. Most magazines (including WotF, I do believe) want exclusive rights to your story for the first year. Submitting to multiple venues at the same time will usually get you a bad name in the publishing industry. wotf004
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, F

Jeremyteg

Postby Jeremyteg » Mon May 29, 2017 9:16 am

Peony is spot on. Generally speaking, unless a magazine, contest, or anthology specifically allows for simultaneous submissions, it's not a good idea to send them a story that you've already sent somewhere else. Editors get grumpy when they fall in love with a story and want to buy it, only to find out that it's already been sold to somewhere else.

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Tue May 30, 2017 1:57 am

If you win here, and your story is published elsewhere in the interim, your story will be disqualified.
Not worth it.
Write something new, and submit that! wotf024
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
8x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

Mr. Salvatore

Postby Mr. Salvatore » Tue May 30, 2017 2:11 am

Thank you for the clear answers, everyone.
Will take them to heart and not submit this one anywhere else. :)

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:47 am

First up: I'm absolutely with the above, and agree you shouldn't submit unless simultaneous subs are explicitly allowed (e.g. we're okay with them at PodCastle).

That said--WotF doesn't actually claim any exclusivity over the story. No mention of it at all in the contract. I'd subbed mine as a reprint before WotF32 was published, and the audio reprint was out only three months later. When Stewart asked them directly they said "we can't stop you publishing it elsewhere first, but please don't". That's really what it comes down to with WotF--it'd just be a bit rude to get it published elsewhere first, even if it's original at time of submission.

There's no rush. Just wait for a rejection :)
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”