Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 34

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
morganb

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 34

Postby morganb » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:50 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:It varies. Considering how many entries the contest has been getting, we might not need to sweat until November or December.

November starts next week! LOL

~Morgan
"If you can do it for joy, you can do it forever."
- Stephen King

Infrequent posts about this whole writing experience thing...http://mbroadhead.blogspot.com/

R, R, HM

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:15 am

morganb wrote:
disgruntledpeony wrote:It varies. Considering how many entries the contest has been getting, we might not need to sweat until November or December.

November starts next week! LOL

~Morgan

That still gives us a week off. wotf019 Seriously, though, I'm more inclined to expect late November than early November.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, F, R

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:27 am

Last year was earlier than usual, like mid October for the first wave. The year before that it was December before the finalists heard I believe. I’m unable to suppress the twitching but rationally Peony is probably right.
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: Q2 R, Q3 HM, Q4 R
Vol35: Q1 pending

Blogging about my writing journey at: http://www.rebeccaetreasure.com/blog

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:52 am

RSchibler is correct on both points. I believe last year they were trying to get things finished up earlier than the year before (for v32, Q4 finalists were notified Christmas Eve and the winners didn't get notified til mid-January, then I got the PF notification in early February, which made things pretty tight for getting to the workshop)

So I'm hoping we get a first wave Any Time Now and the finalists not too far off from that. By Thanksgiving would be lovely...
WOTF: HM x 6, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

morganb

Postby morganb » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:11 am

I can't even imagine what it must be like for Dave to get through THOUSANDS of stories every single quarter like that. Does he read them all electronically with a special REJECT button, or are they all printed out and he sorts them into piles? Then maybe the piles are sent to Joni at the end of every week so she can contact the authors.

Ha ha...I can just picture him sitting on his living room floor with piles of manuscripts teetering precariously all around him. "Reject...Looks promising, save for later...Reject...Reject...Oh, this looks good...Nope..."

~Morgan
- Stephen King

Infrequent posts about this whole writing experience thing...http://mbroadhead.blogspot.com/

R, R, HM

jficke13

Postby jficke13 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:31 am

morganb wrote:I can't even imagine what it must be like for Dave to get through THOUSANDS of stories every single quarter like that. Does he read them all electronically with a special REJECT button, or are they all printed out and he sorts them into piles? Then maybe the piles are sent to Joni at the end of every week so she can contact the authors.

Ha ha...I can just picture him sitting on his living room floor with piles of manuscripts teetering precariously all around him. "Reject...Looks promising, save for later...Reject...Reject...Oh, this looks good...Nope..."

~Morgan

I think there would have to be some kind of a digital triage system set up. Plus I swear I read somewhere that he said a decent number of entries are so wildly off base (essays, poems, recipes for dog treats, etc.) that he can reject in one line. It'd be a sad use of paper to print each of those, no?
HM x2, Vol. 34 Q4 - 3rd. http://www.jonficke.com

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:03 am

In one of his blog posts, DF talks about how he hates to hit "the reject button" so there is a digital system. Also, entries that encountered difficulties with the submissions system in the past have been emailed to Joni, who then prints them off and gives them to DF with the paper submissions. I don't recall where, but I read that they prefer digital and non-paper subs.

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:37 pm

I'll just add that good stories are good stories, no matter how they get submitted. The only reason you might not want it to become a paper story is when the submission site closes early and Joni has to print your submission by hand. When the first wave goes out, you never know if you're in the final pile, or the last minute submission pile. But if you submitted early electronically, it's a pretty good bet if you're not in the first wave of rejections, you're in Dave's final selection stack.

Also, just a reminder to those thinking Dave has to read all 2000 or so stories. He doesn't. Many, as has been already said, can be rejected by reading the first line. More, by reading the first paragraph. The rest, after a page or two when it's obvious the story is going nowhere. It's a fast process for rejection. And there's a word to the wise: make everything shine, but especially those first two pages.

Fortune favor the brave,

~Moon~

MDInkley

Postby MDInkley » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:07 am

Quick question: do the certificates for Silver HM look the same as the reg HM?
MDInkley

HM -- 4
R -- Not counting

www.mitchellinkley.com

thegirlintheglasses

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:44 am

MDInkley wrote:Quick question: do the certificates for Silver HM look the same as the reg HM?

I think they're pretty close. I just got mine in the mail. I've only entered the contest twice before (1 R, 1 SHM) but from what I can tell from online photos, it looks the same... minus that it says Sliver Honorable Mention on it. wotf017
Brittany Rainsdon
R-SHM-HM

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:18 am

Having seen pictures of SHM and owning a few HM awards, I can confirm that they're exactly the same in design and layout.
WotF Results:
  • R:1
  • HM:4
  • sHM:0
  • SF:0
  • F:0
  • (Last: Pending, Q1.v35)

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:56 am

They don't *really* change until you stand on the stage. wotf011

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:25 am

Wulf Moon wrote:They don't *really* change until you stand on the stage. wotf011

Yeah, the Finalist certificates look exactly the same as the HMs except they say Finalist on them. I do display my finalist certificates and just have a stack of the HMs in a drawer somewhere...
WOTF: HM x 6, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

morganb

Postby morganb » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:27 am

I didn't know they gave out certificates for HM and SHM. That's kind of cool for framing and hanging in your writing space!

~Morgan
- Stephen King

R, R, HM

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:42 am

Tomorrow is Thursday.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:44 am

:twitch:
WotF Results:
  • R:1
  • HM:4
  • sHM:0
  • SF:0
  • F:0
  • (Last: Pending, Q1.v35)

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:38 am

amoskalik wrote:Tomorrow is Thursday.

It feels like a Thursday kind of week.

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:51 am

morganb wrote:I didn't know they gave out certificates for HM and SHM. That's kind of cool for framing and hanging in your writing space!

~Morgan

Yep. HM, SHM, Semi, and Finalist. Hang them up on your ego wall--it's a reminder you're on the right track. When you start getting a bunch, hang up your best. When you start selling to anthologies, you can sometimes get the cover flats. Frame those. They will remind you you're an author when you need a pick me up.

Then, go back to being a writer.

~Moon~

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:56 am

You guys all saw Dave's latest post about what AJ (Algis Budrys) taught him? It's all about contest entries, you can assume last Q, so freak out and go read your first two pages again! wotf019

~Moon~

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:15 am

RSchibler wrote:
amoskalik wrote:Tomorrow is Thursday.

It feels like a Thursday kind of week.

*cracks knuckles* I got a rejection from Asimov's the other day. I'm ready for it.

Wulf Moon wrote:You guys all saw Dave's latest post about what AJ (Algis Budrys) taught him? It's all about contest entries, you can assume last Q, so freak out and go read your first two pages again! wotf019

~Moon~

Dude, I always freak out about my first two pages. wotf001 I have a bad habit of trying to pack too much into them, in fact.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

morganb

Postby morganb » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:09 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:*cracks knuckles* I got a rejection from Asimov's the other day. I'm ready for it.

wotf019 Oh man, that just made my day. Love the attitude. You rock.

~Morgan
- Stephen King

R, R, HM

AliciaCay

Postby AliciaCay » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:35 pm

Not to increase the twitch factor, but Dave is teaching a workshop this weekend, so he may not be reading/judging/getting results out for us folks because of this.

Also, I'm going to the workshop! I'm a little nervous to meet someone in person who has been (unknowingly) reading my stories for a couple of years, but on the other hand, it's exciting to meet other writerly folks and to glean some insights from a long established teacher.

That is all - keep calm and write on! wotf001

♥ Alicia
V32: HM (Q4)
V33: HM, HM, SHM, HM
V34: R, R, HM, HM
V35: Q1-TBD
https://aliciacay.com
"I turned silences and nights into words. What was unutterable, I wrote down. I made the whirling world stand still." -Arthur Rimbaud

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:18 pm

AliciaCay wrote:Not to increase the twitch factor, but Dave is teaching a workshop this weekend, so he may not be reading/judging/getting results out for us folks because of this.

Also, I'm going to the workshop! I'm a little nervous to meet someone in person who has been (unknowingly) reading my stories for a couple of years, but on the other hand, it's exciting to meet other writerly folks and to glean some insights from a long established teacher.

That is all - keep calm and write on! wotf001

♥ Alicia

Have fun, Alicia! Wish I was closer, I'd love to go! Take good notes, write good stories, and get past those gosh wows as quick as you can and make a new friend.

Cheers!

~Moon~

carmarky

Postby carmarky » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:58 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:
Wulf Moon wrote:You guys all saw Dave's latest post about what AJ (Algis Budrys) taught him? It's all about contest entries, you can assume last Q, so freak out and go read your first two pages again! wotf019

~Moon~

Dude, I always freak out about my first two pages. wotf001 I have a bad habit of trying to pack too much into them, in fact.

*frantically rereads first two pages for the 500th time*
*finds glaring grammatical error several pages in* wotf020

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:41 pm

carmarky wrote:*frantically rereads first two pages for the 500th time*
*finds glaring grammatical error several pages in* wotf020

See, that's why I never read my entries after I submit them until I know the results. wotf019

vsutherland01

Postby vsutherland01 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:21 pm

Two weeks. I need two weeks before I want to start thinking seriously about the contest again. I hope wave 1 goes out on or after the 16th.
2017 | Q1 - R | Q2 - R | Q3 - HM | Q4 - R |
2018 Q1 -

AliciaCay

Postby AliciaCay » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:51 pm

I always appreciated getting details from others who have heard from Dave in person at different events, so it is in that spirit that I share this gleaned tidbit with you lovely forum folks.

I hope this isn't giving too much away, but I don't think it is... Today in class Dave mentioned he's got this quarter down to 21 entries, and how he enjoys it when he gets the pile down to around that amount because he said he can really read, focus on, and select which 8 he wants to choose to go on as Finalists.

The time is almost upon us!
V32: HM (Q4)
V33: HM, HM, SHM, HM
V34: R, R, HM, HM
V35: Q1-TBD
https://aliciacay.com
"I turned silences and nights into words. What was unutterable, I wrote down. I made the whirling world stand still." -Arthur Rimbaud

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:24 pm

AliciaCay wrote:I always appreciated getting details from others who have heard from Dave in person at different events, so it is in that spirit that I share this gleaned tidbit with you lovely forum folks.

I hope this isn't giving too much away, but I don't think it is... Today in class Dave mentioned he's got this quarter down to 21 entries, and how he enjoys it when he gets the pile down to around that amount because he said he can really read, focus on, and select which 8 he wants to choose to go on as Finalists.

wotf018 *hunkers*

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:08 am

You know what's completely maddening, is that five of those will be silver HMs.
Not that there's anything wrong with silver, it's damn impressive, but what I mean is, if there's say, 10 silvers, you won't know if you were one of these five. Like, you could literally be (and one of the silvers is every quarter) the seventeenth story!

A few years back, before Dave re-started the practice of silvers, I watched wave after wave go by without an e-mail. Then, similar to Alicia's report I learned there were 32 stories left. I was definitely one of them, because calls, semis, and the other sixteen HMs came all at once. I got an HM. Could have been the seventeenth story - I'll never know.

He began awarding silvers the very next quarter. wotf004
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

jbaugher001

Postby jbaugher001 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:55 am

AliciaCay wrote:I always appreciated getting details from others who have heard from Dave in person at different events, so it is in that spirit that I share this gleaned tidbit with you lovely forum folks.

But no one has gotten ant rejections yet?

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”