Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 34

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Wulf Moon

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 34

Postby Wulf Moon » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:44 pm

Imagination Vortex wrote:Well I know I'm not going to make it this quarter. Too many unexpected health problems that I'm still trying to deal with. Didn't even have the time or energy to write these last few months. Hopefully I can get back on track for the next quarter. It's a whole new year with 4 new chances to make it to the workshop!

Life happens. : ) Sorry about this quarter, but more about your health. Get well. Contest will always be here.

~Moon~

katsincommand

Postby katsincommand » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:48 pm

Yup health first. Feel better!!! *hugs*
Dawn Bonanno
http://www.dmbonanno.com

SF 2 / HM 6 / R 16 / Total 24 Entries

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:41 pm

Wulf Moon wrote:
Imagination Vortex wrote:Well I know I'm not going to make it this quarter. Too many unexpected health problems that I'm still trying to deal with. Didn't even have the time or energy to write these last few months. Hopefully I can get back on track for the next quarter. It's a whole new year with 4 new chances to make it to the workshop!

Life happens. : ) Sorry about this quarter, but more about your health. Get well. Contest will always be here.

~Moon~

I add my hopes for better health and good success at writing the next few quarters-but that you won't need a few quarters.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:44 pm

Okay, I am finished. I may take one more look at the connecter from the old body and the new opening just to make sure I didn't miss anything, maybe go over one more scene while I am at it but that's it.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:25 am

You and me, Stephanie. Four entries in 35!
I may have only one in all of 34. That's not good...
I've been obsessed with political stuff for over a year and it's killed my creativity. Real life is an unwelcome balm to the fire of the muse.
Once I work out how to stop obsessively checking the news each day for my impending demise, I'll get back to writing stories.

Anyway, let's rock this. (Unless we, you know, win in Q2, then we don't have to worry about Q4... you know, because we've already got our Q3 written, right? wotf011 )
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

RuiMiguelCid

Postby RuiMiguelCid » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:47 am

I submitted my story back on September 8th after Dustin Adam's helpful critique. I kind of like the story. And I wrote it because I definitely think it's a cool subject. But... I think it might be too much of a derivative theme to win WoTF for me. Still... here's hoping lol

PS - Sorry for still not having returned the favor Dustin
My contest history:

R - R - R - R - R - HM - HM - HM - HM - HM - SHM - HM - R

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:32 am

Rui,
It's difficult to return the favor when I don't send you a story. wotf001
I have one brewing, which may be too damn dark for WotF, but it must be exorcised from my brain.
Probably for Q1...
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:46 am

Dustin Adams wrote:Rui,
It's difficult to return the favor when I don't send you a story. wotf001
I have one brewing, which may be too damn dark for WotF, but it must be exorcised from my brain.
Probably for Q1...

Did you read V32/33? IMO there were a number of "dark" pieces in both...
WOTF: HM x 6, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

WaywardSaint

Postby WaywardSaint » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:20 pm

Submitted 9/18.
It's daring and unconventional, but those two things are not necessarily the same as "good".
A home run swing leaves the batter looking pretty foolish sometimes. Still, nothing to lose... wotf017

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:10 pm

Dustin Adams wrote:

You and me, Stephanie. Four entries in 35!
I've been obsessed with political stuff for over a year and it's killed my creativity. Real life is an unwelcome balm to the fire of the muse.
Once I work out how to stop obsessively checking the news each day for my impending demise, I'll get back to writing stories.

Anyway, let's rock this. (Unless we, you know, win in Q2, then we don't have to worry about Q4... you know, because we've already got our Q3 written, right? wotf011 )

Dang, Dustin, if you'd have channelled all that angst into a story, you would have at least made finalist last quarter, according to Dave's blog. : )

Best for 35!

Moon

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:36 am

Dustin Adams wrote:You and me, Stephanie. Four entries in 35!

This is what happened to me this year too. Well, that and I was writing a story that legitimately took 7 months.
4 in 35 wotf024 That's a rallying cry I can respond to. I've already got Q1 close to covered.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:35 am

It is incredibly difficult to motivate oneself to write or edit anything when my head feels like an overfull balloon. I don't know if it's allergies or a sinus infection or both, but the pressure in my sinuses keeps screwing with my inner ear to the point where simply moving my head wrong gives me vertigo. wotf020 And this has been going on since Friday. wotf23

I really want to get this story finished, though. I bought medicine that was supposed to help with congestion and headaches yesterday. It's proving slower to kick in this morning than it did last night, but hopefully it will make a larger difference if I take it dutifully throughout the day. In any case, I'm tired of letting this stop me, so I'm going to push through it. wotf024 Third draft, here I come!
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, F, R

rachelwrites

Postby rachelwrites » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:47 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:It is incredibly difficult to motivate oneself to write or edit anything when my head feels like an overfull balloon. I don't know if it's allergies or a sinus infection or both

My sympathies! I hope you feel better!

I too have the September sickness, and it's sapping my energy. Relying on drugs and determination to make the deadline wotf035
Vol 34(Q3): HM
Vol 35: the future is scary!

morganb

Postby morganb » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:34 am

Just finished all my line edits and I'm at 6300 words. <Woot!> Gonna let it sit for a day or two before final copy edits and polishing this weekend.

I didn't think I'd even have a story for Q4, so thanks to everyone for the idea of pulling out an old unsold story and reworking it.

It's been a long time since I've actually submitted a story to WOTF; I've been writing and submitting flash and shorts to the markets. I'm really curious to see whether I've improved or not over the years. Crossing my fingers and silently praying for at least an HM this time. If not, I've already got a killer story under way for Q1.

~Morgan
"If you can do it for joy, you can do it forever."
- Stephen King

Infrequent posts about this whole writing experience...http://mbroadhead.blogspot.com/

R, R, HM

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:10 am

morganb wrote:Just finished all my line edits and I'm at 6300 words. <Woot!> Gonna let it sit for a day or two before final copy edits and polishing this weekend.

I didn't think I'd even have a story for Q4, so thanks to everyone for the idea of pulling out an old unsold story and reworking it.

It's been a long time since I've actually submitted a story to WOTF; I've been writing and submitting flash and shorts to the markets. I'm really curious to see whether I've improved or not over the years. Crossing my fingers and silently praying for at least an HM this time. If not, I've already got a killer story under way for Q1.

~Morgan

Good going! If we're writing, we've got trunk stories. Let Dave be the judge. If you don't have a story in, there's no way you can win.

All the beast,

~Moon~

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:36 am

Wulf Moon wrote:Good going! If we're writing, we've got trunk stories. Let Dave be the judge. If you don't have a story in, there's no way you can win.

Yeah, so, that Q3 finalist I just had? Trunk story. Well, not quite, but "story I haven't touched in a year, pulled out and polished up" counts, right?
V32 Published Finalist

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:05 am

KD Julicher wrote:
Wulf Moon wrote:Good going! If we're writing, we've got trunk stories. Let Dave be the judge. If you don't have a story in, there's no way you can win.

Yeah, so, that Q3 finalist I just had? Trunk story. Well, not quite, but "story I haven't touched in a year, pulled out and polished up" counts, right?

Absolutely. I turned an R into an SHM that way, once. wotf007
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

jficke13

Postby jficke13 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:09 am

KD Julicher wrote:

With what I was working on for Q4 being (not-quite-but-close-to) hopelessly broken. I took this inspiration and rather than skip this quarter, got something in that feels not too shabby. And that gives me enough time to fix what's wrong with the other one.
HM x2, Vol. 34 Q4 - 3rd.

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:47 am

jficke13 wrote:With what I was working on for Q4 being (not-quite-but-close-to) hopelessly broken. I took this inspiration and rather than skip this quarter, got something in that feels not too shabby. And that gives me enough time to fix what's wrong with the other one.

Fantastic! That's the reason I put in my Q3, actually, as the piece I was working on had sooo many flaws.

Finishing up the final pass on my Q4, hope to have it in today or tomorrow.
V32 Published Finalist

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:07 pm

KD Julicher wrote:

Totally! It was in your trunk...or boot, if you're from England. : )

~Moon~

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:31 am

Effing spambots. wotf23

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:36 am

Now we are in the last week, one of traditional heavy traffic. Also remember the online entry system has a habit of shutting down part way through the last day, so if you're going to run it to the line, make sure you have Joni's email.

And, for what in all probability will be my lost shot at the title: MAY THE FORCE BE WITH US! wotf009
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:57 am

I’m in the midst of completely rewriting mine, there’s plenty of time, right? I hope to have it finished before the wire, but we’ll see what happens. My children don’t always cooperate! Good luck to everyone still working on their submissions!
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: Q2 R, Q3 HM, Q4 R
Vol35: pending

Blogging about my writing journey at: http://www.rebeccaetreasure.com/blog

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:20 am

I'm probably going to be writing down to the wire myself, by which I mean the day before the contest deadline. The last day submission issues encourage me to treat the deadline as one day sooner.

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:30 am

My Q4 submission is in!

It's the most heavily critiqued piece I've ever submitted and I feel really good about it. Good luck to everyone else! wotf009
WotF Results:
  • R:1
  • HM:4
  • sHM:0
  • SF:0
  • F:0
  • (Last: HM, Q4.v34)

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:10 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:I'm probably going to be writing down to the wire myself, by which I mean the day before the contest deadline. The last day submission issues encourage me to treat the deadline as one day sooner.

Agreed. I'm giving myself to Thursday.
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: Q2 R, Q3 HM, Q4 R
Vol35: pending

Blogging about my writing journey at: http://www.rebeccaetreasure.com/blog

KristyEmber

Postby KristyEmber » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:57 am

Ishmael wrote:Now we are in the last week, one of traditional heavy traffic. Also remember the online entry system has a habit of shutting down part way through the last day, so if you're going to run it to the line, make sure you have Joni's email.

And, for what in all probability will be my lost shot at the title: MAY THE FORCE BE WITH US! wotf009

Good luck! All my fingers are crossed for you.

morganb

Postby morganb » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:23 am

Using the next few days to buff and polish before submitting, probably on Thursday. So exciting!

GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY!

~ Morgan
"If you can do it for joy, you can do it forever."
- Stephen King

Infrequent posts about this whole writing experience...http://mbroadhead.blogspot.com/

R, R, HM

vsutherland01

Postby vsutherland01 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:33 am

I am so close to submitting. I don't think there is much more I can do with this story. I hope I don't get an R on this, after landing my first HM.
2017 | Q1 - R | Q2 - R | Q3 - HM | Q4 - R |
2018 Q1 -

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:54 am

vsutherland01 wrote:I am so close to submitting. I don't think there is much more I can do with this story. I hope I don't get an R on this, after landing my first HM.

There's certainly a point where you have to stop working on any story for awhile, so don't feel too weird about it. Also, next quarter submissions start next week, so there's another goal to work toward pretty soon after. wotf011
WotF Results:
  • R:1
  • HM:4
  • sHM:0
  • SF:0
  • F:0
  • (Last: HM, Q4.v34)

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”