"We regret that we cannot accept children's stories." Define "children!"

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Neemster

"We regret that we cannot accept children's stories." Define "children!"

Postby Neemster » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:32 am

Hi,

I'm thinking of submitting a story that made it past the first round of readers in two professional publications ("Cast of Wonders" and "Apex"). But the story features a group of characters who are in high school. Would they be considered children? The story does have some universal themes that apply to all age groups, such as the need to belong and the stupid things people do to avoid loneliness. What do y'all think?

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Neemster

J'nae Rae

Re: "We regret that we cannot accept children's stories." Define "children!"

Postby J'nae Rae » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:52 am

sounds like yours is YA, rather than a Children's Story.
HM Q1 2015, Q3 & Q4 2016.
R Q1 & Q2 2017
The Trade's On, in Issue 8 of Sci Phi Journal, November 2015
Naidin's Song: Blood Bound, published August 2016
Nine-Tenths, on Empyreome (Weekly Flash Fiction,) June 2017

wotf024

Chris533

Postby Chris533 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:53 am

Funny - I was just wondering this myself. I have some fantasy picture book type stories that I've written for my children which I'm sure would not be acceptable. I've played with the idea of combining them into full book length, but I'm guessing they'd still be unacceptable. But how about, say, The Hobbit? Or Narnia? Or The Golden Compass? Or The Rats of NIMH? etc etc (Edited down to Novellas, of course, since all would be too long as is)
HM Q2 2017

Neemster

Postby Neemster » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:18 pm

J'nae Rae wrote:sounds like yours is YA, rather than a Children's Story.

Yes, it probably is. So is WotF an appropriate publication for a YA story? Offhand, I can't recall reading any winning stories that were targeted for a predominantly YA audience.

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:34 pm

Neemster wrote:

Yes, it probably is. So is WotF an appropriate publication for a YA story? Offhand, I can't recall reading any winning stories that were targeted for a predominantly YA audience.

The target audience is teenagers, though. It's hard to say.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, ?

Chris533

Postby Chris533 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:08 pm

I was thinking about this. First, just because a book is about children doesn't mean it's a children's book. Second, if it's really good, and it's not a picture book or something clearly for very young children, I'd go for it. I just can't imagine them disqualifying something like Ender's Game, for example, just because its about a young kid.
HM Q2 2017

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:49 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:
Neemster wrote:

The target audience is teenagers, though. It's hard to say.

Just to confirm this, it has been explicitly mentioned to me that their aim is to get into high school libraries, which is why they edit the cursing to a minimum. So a group of teenagers would be absolutely fine. (Heck, my MC was no more than 17, IIRC, and I did alright wotf008)
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

LaurieG

Postby LaurieG » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:01 pm

There was a winner several years ago whose main character was a girl of, I think, 11. She was trying to escape a child molester in a space station. Beautifully written, thus it won.
http://laurie-gail.livejournal.com

2 time Finalist
4 time Semi-Finalist
lots of HM's and Rejects

amyhg

Postby amyhg » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:31 pm

I agree with pretty much what everyone else said. I think when they say, "children's stories," they mean stories whose content and themes remain only at a children's level. E.g. Peter Rabbit, The Ugly Duckling, Amelia Bedelia, or Wind in the Willows. However, it may not include books like, The Little Prince or some of Hans Christian Anderson's fables. That's my understanding anyway.
v33: Q3, Q4 - R
v34: Q1 - R, Q2 - SECOND PLACE!

amyhg

Postby amyhg » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:41 pm

Neemster wrote:

There's been a few that could be considered YA. Personally, I consider "Squalor and Sympathy" and "Swords Like Lightning, Hooves Like Thunder" from v. 32 to be YA. I also think "Another Range of Mountains," "Giants at the End of the World," and "The Clouds in Her Eyes" from v. 30 could be considered YA. I figure if a story's themes can be processed and appreciated by an average 13-year-old book-lover and it doesn't contain explicit language, sexuality, or graphic violence, then it's YA. That could just be me though.

And...I also just realized that I named only fantasy stories. huh.
v33: Q3, Q4 - R
v34: Q1 - R, Q2 - SECOND PLACE!

Jeremyteg

Postby Jeremyteg » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:55 pm

My impression from reading the volumes aligns with what Matt and Amy are saying. Plenty of the stories that win Writers of the Future could be easily considered YA. Some of them are not, but some of them are. By "children's stories" I think they mean something that could appear in a Highlights magazine or equivalent, which is to say targeted to young children as opposed to tweens and teens.

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”