Contest Results

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Chris533

Contest Results

Postby Chris533 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:23 pm

What are all the possible contest results? I see lots of people with SHM - what is that? I think I've seen others that I don't know what they mean. And is R reject? If you don't win anything do you get a reject, or does that mean your entry didn't meet the requirements?
HM Q2 2017

preston

Re: Contest Results

Postby preston » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:21 pm

R
HM
SHM
SF
Finalist

R is reject. It can mean your entry doesn't meet requirements (ie: you put your name on your manuscript) or more likely, it means your story didn't hold the interest of the judge. (there are thousands upon thousands of these)
HM is honorable mention and means your story made it through the first pass, and is a publishable story, slightly flawed, and was beat out by other better stories. (usually about 100 attain this category)
SHM is silver Honorable Mention and is a category that has come and gone over the years. It's back now, and it means your story was really very good, but just not quite good enough to rise higher. (10 or 20 or so in each quarter)
SF is Semi-Finalist. (not sure of the number here, 7? 10?) But these are great stories. The judge loved them, but there were better stories and they just got edged out, perhaps due to a single flaw or two. SF's get a critique from the judge and cannot be re-submitted to the contest.
Finalist--there are 7 of these, and these are stories that the judge felt were professionally written and original, and worthy of being published at a professional level. 3 winners are chosen from this group, and sometimes a finalist gets published in the annual volume.
Hope this helps. Good luck!

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:29 pm

I thought there were eight semi's and eight finalists. Otherwise, preston is pretty well on the money.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, F

Chris533

Postby Chris533 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:48 pm

Thanks!
HM Q2 2017

fandemoniumnetwork

Postby fandemoniumnetwork » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:21 pm

Here is a list of upcoming Latest Online contests and giveaways. Join us today at FANdemonium Network and get up-to-date with most recent online contests. Visit us online...http://bit.ly/2utJUpg

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”