Past Quarter Statistics

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Chris533

Past Quarter Statistics

Postby Chris533 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:00 pm

Are the number of contest entries for the last three or four years' quarters available anywhere?
HM Q2 2017

disgruntledpeony

Re: Past Quarter Statistics

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:50 pm

Chris533 wrote:Are the number of contest entries for the last three or four years' quarters available anywhere?

Nope. They don't post hard numbers in the interest of keeping people from getting discouraged.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, F, R

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:44 am

Entries are increasing year on year, so we're told. Some time ago rumour had it that there were around 1,000 entries per quarter. More recently speculation has suggested 2,000. With no slush readers and the coordinating judge responsible for getting through anything up to 20 stories a day, he inevitably won't get past the first couple of pages for the majority of entries. Hence the need for a great hook and prompt action.
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

preston

Postby preston » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:40 am

"Several thousand," per quarter, and that's a direct quote.

vsutherland01

Postby vsutherland01 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:13 pm

preston wrote:"Several thousand," per quarter, and that's a direct quote.

Wow that's discouraging, but also good for the contest I suppose. Do you think they will be altering the judging process at all in the future to make the task of the coordinating judge a bit easier? Thousands of submissions are a lot for Mr. Farland to weed through. I almost feel bad for submitting my amateur work. Almost, but not quite haha. Eventually my stuff will be better. Thanks for the stats. I would rather know than not know.
2017 | Q1 - R | Q2 - R | Q3 - HM | Q4 - R |
2018 Q1 -

Dustan Moon

Postby Dustan Moon » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:11 am

vsutherland01 wrote:
preston wrote:"Several thousand," per quarter, and that's a direct quote.

Wow that's discouraging, but also good for the contest I suppose. Do you think they will be altering the judging process at all in the future to make the task of the coordinating judge a bit easier? Thousands of submissions are a lot for Mr. Farland to weed through. I almost feel bad for submitting my amateur work. Almost, but not quite haha. Eventually my stuff will be better. Thanks for the stats. I would rather know than not know.

It's the reality of publishing. Lots of people auditioning. Room for few on the stage. You have to ignore all the other people sitting in the hallway and keep saying, "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people LIKE me!" And when you don't get hired at the audition, you say it again, hone your craft, and get in line for the next audition. Over and over. Like everyone else had to do before THEY took the stage. : )

Keep writing. Keep sending.

~Moon~

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:40 am

Dustan Moon wrote:
It's the reality of publishing. Lots of people auditioning. Room for few on the stage. You have to ignore all the other people sitting in the hallway and keep saying, "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people LIKE me!" And when you don't get hired at the audition, you say it again, hone your craft, and get in line for the next audition. Over and over. Like everyone else had to do before THEY took the stage. : )

Keep writing. Keep sending.

~Moon~

In my stars I am above thee; but be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

(Twelfth Night, Shakespeare).
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”