Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Dustin Adams

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby Dustin Adams » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:02 am

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:Pantsers, unite!
(We'll figure out where later...)
wotf013

Nice. wotf019
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:01 pm

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:
disgruntledpeony wrote:Started my first draft of a story, yesterday. Got 500 words in, got stuck, went to work, and realized I was beginning the story too early while I was halfway through my shift. Had to scrap almost everything I wrote, this morning. Even so, I've gotten started! And I'm (GASP) pantsing my first draft. Because some stories/characters defy structure.

Pantsers, unite!

wotf013

Great. Martin is forming his own personal Pantser Division. wotf009

Look out world!

historythatneverwas

Postby historythatneverwas » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:30 am

Well, got my story in super early this quarter because I knew what story I wanted to send in, and I didn't want to tie it up at another market past the deadline for this quarter.

So in as of 11/18!
Dawn Vogel
Website History That Never Was

vjalrik

Postby vjalrik » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:10 pm

wotf019 Love this!
Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:
disgruntledpeony wrote:Started my first draft of a story, yesterday. Got 500 words in, got stuck, went to work, and realized I was beginning the story too early while I was halfway through my shift. Had to scrap almost everything I wrote, this morning. Even so, I've gotten started! And I'm (GASP) pantsing my first draft. Because some stories/characters defy structure.

Pantsers, unite!

wotf013
V33 (-- HM SHM R), V34 (SF R R HM), V35 (HM, Q2-Pending)
Latest sold stories (9 total):
"The Right Decision," Digital Science Fiction, Dec. 21, 2016
"Fossil Fuel," Helios Quarterly Magazine, Dec. 13, 2016

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:12 am

Rough draft finished. I kept this one simple. At the moment, it's barely over 2k words, but I skipped most of the description in favor of getting the dialogue out, so it'll probably be closer to 3k once I polish it up enough to count as a proper first draft. It's going to need a lot of work before I can even consider submitting it to this contest, though. One of the characters has a mightily foul mouth in the rough draft. Three F-bombs in three consecutive sentences, at one point.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, F, R
2018: HM, ?

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:23 pm

I've started work on a more polished first draft (technically it's probably my second draft, but who's counting?). Should have it finished by the weekend, if all goes well. wotf007
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

morganb

Postby morganb » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:59 am

Just finished another round of rewrites. Looks like I'm going to make it for Q1 after all, although this isn't the story I had originally intended to submit. This one is coming in just shy of 2300 words though and that concerns me. Is that too short for the contest? Should I add some more depth and beef it up to three or four thousand? Maybe I'll check the critique exchange to see if anyone wants to swap and maybe they can tell me what they think.

~Morgan
"If you can do it for joy, you can do it forever."
- Stephen King

Infrequent posts about this whole writing experience thing...http://mbroadhead.blogspot.com/

HM x 1
R x 3

jficke13

Postby jficke13 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:05 am

morganb wrote:Just finished another round of rewrites. Looks like I'm going to make it for Q1 after all, although this isn't the story I had originally intended to submit. This one is coming in just shy of 2300 words though and that concerns me. Is that too short for the contest? Should I add some more depth and beef it up to three or four thousand? Maybe I'll check the critique exchange to see if anyone wants to swap and maybe they can tell me what they think.

~Morgan

I can say with a high degree of confidence that it's not too short. My 3rd place was about 2,200 words.
HM x2, Vol. 34 Q4 - 3rd. http://www.jonficke.com

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:43 am

morganb wrote:Just finished another round of rewrites. Looks like I'm going to make it for Q1 after all, although this isn't the story I had originally intended to submit. This one is coming in just shy of 2300 words though and that concerns me. Is that too short for the contest? Should I add some more depth and beef it up to three or four thousand? Maybe I'll check the critique exchange to see if anyone wants to swap and maybe they can tell me what they think.

~Morgan

You should be fine on length, although you're on the low end (not the worst thing in the world by any means). Feel free to send your story my way and I'll complete the trade shortly.

vsutherland01

Postby vsutherland01 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:13 pm

I got a draft done, almost 6,000. 6750, going by Dave's double spaced courier font page count.

Anyone want to swap? Trying to get this one done and in before the holidays. I am sure most everyone else is too :).

Writing and family time is a bad combo haha.
2017 | Q1 - R | Q2 - R | Q3 - HM | Q4 - R |
2018 Q1 -

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:37 pm

I'm up for a swap with anyone. Send em on!
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: Q2 R, Q3 HM, Q4 R
Vol35: Q1 HM, Q2 pending

Blogging about my writing journey at: http://www.rebeccaetreasure.com/blog

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:46 pm

Been awhile since I was here. But I did NaNo and thirty short stories.

My story for this quarter is at a beta reader and since I rushed the ending a little I suspect it might need some work-as if the whole thing won't need significant work
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:54 am

Yikes! Would you look at the time?! It's DECEMBER!

morganb

Postby morganb » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:47 am

Isn't there a thread somewhere specifically for critique exchanges? I thought I saw it once but can't seem to find it now. I've got one person currently reviewing my Q1 entry, but would like at least a couple more people to give me a content critique. Any takers? Of course I'm more than happy to return the favor.

My email is mlbroadh@gmail.com

Thanks!

~Morgan
"If you can do it for joy, you can do it forever."
- Stephen King

Infrequent posts about this whole writing experience thing...http://mbroadhead.blogspot.com/

HM x 1
R x 3

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:15 am

morganb wrote:Isn't there a thread somewhere specifically for critique exchanges? I thought I saw it once but can't seem to find it now. I've got one person currently reviewing my Q1 entry, but would like at least a couple more people to give me a content critique. Any takers? Of course I'm more than happy to return the favor.

My email is mlbroadh@gmail.com

Thanks!

~Morgan

It's not one thread so much as a whole section of the forum. We tend to forget about it, though. wotf001

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:32 am

Okay, I don't hate my Q1... More importantly, I believe I will finish on time.

I will be on vacation for a week this month, leaving me precious little time. If I can finish in two weeks, get a reader or two, then cram-edit that final, holiday week, I'll submit something I like. Hopefully.

Good times!
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:46 am

Dustin Adams wrote:Okay, I don't hate my Q1... More importantly, I believe I will finish on time.

I will be on vacation for a week this month, leaving me precious little time. If I can finish in two weeks, get a reader or two, then cram-edit that final, holiday week, I'll submit something I like. Hopefully.

Good times!

You can do it, Dustin! 4 in 35! wotf024

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:58 am

Pulled out my Q1 yesterday, read it over, added 600 words to the first scene to try to improve the start. I like this story. Closer to my usual fare than my Q4 was. Husband and I will work on editing it tonight, to get to our crit group for next week. I might have to try to find some forum crit swap people in the same time frame rather than consecutively like I usually do.
WOTF: HM x 6, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:40 pm

Dustin Adams wrote:Okay, I don't hate my Q1... More importantly, I believe I will finish on time.

Good times!

There he is! Was wondering where you went, Dustin.

And, to the Founder of 4 in 35, I must use my Yoda voice on you. "Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try." wotf001

You've got my email if you need assistance.

~Moon~

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:55 am

Hey Moon,

Was doing NaNo. My version of it anyway, which was a seriously truncated version of the one many others did. wotf005

But yup, I'm finishing my Q1.
Then on to Q2! wotf024
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM

Tamlyn

Postby Tamlyn » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:47 pm

Finally sat down and submitted my story. Normally I'm a last minute submitter, but I'm going to be somewhere in the middle of the Nullarbor when the end of the month rolls around (actually, I think we'll have reached Albany or something then, but the point stands).

Been ready for ages (it's a heavily edited - cut about 3k words - previous submission), but between packing and sorting and more packing, I just didn't get around to it. Done now. Can go back to panicking about fitting things in boxes.
Latest story: Lightning Dance (Diabolical Plots October 2017)
http://www.tamlyndreaver.com

rachelwrites

Postby rachelwrites » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:57 am

Tamlyn wrote:Finally sat down and submitted my story.

Yay! Congrats on getting something in and good luck! :)

I'm currently at the point where I wonder why I even bother to write. Planning to take this weekend to whip my story into shape!
Vol 34(Q3): HM
Vol 35(Q1): ??

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:14 am

I've been working this story since October and it's still not right. I had high hopes of submitting early this quarter but I just can't get the ending to work. I'm starting to hate my MC, maybe I'll just kill her off wotf23 It would be surprising, at least! Best of luck to everyone finishing their stories in time.

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:19 am

RSchibler wrote:I've been working this story since October and it's still not right. I had high hopes of submitting early this quarter but I just can't get the ending to work. I'm starting to hate my MC, maybe I'll just kill her off wotf23 It would be surprising, at least! Best of luck to everyone finishing their stories in time.

Close your eyes. Take deep breaths. In and out. wotf030 wotf041 I'll be able to look it over at some point in the next couple of days. If you have a more recent draft than the one you sent me the other day, feel free to send it again.

Smithr73

Postby Smithr73 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:26 am

I'm running very late this quarter, but if anyone is up for a last minute swap I'm looking for partners!

Robert.Anthony.Smith73@gmail.com

Cheers.
V32: HM
V33: HM, HM, HM, HM
V34: R, HM, HM, HM
V35: HM

http://www.robertanthonysmith.com

reigheena

Postby reigheena » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:37 pm

I am in! Good luck to all!
Silver Honorable Mention: 3
Honorable Mentions: 7. Published HM - Infant Insomnia
Other published works

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:38 am

I'm in. Happy Holidays everyone.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

AliciaCay

Postby AliciaCay » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:29 pm

Hey all,

I heard a rumor and was wondering about it - thought I might ask here.

On a whim, I submitted a story to F&SF in September and my rejection letter from Mr. Finlay was signed, "Best regards, Charlie".

Then a little birdie told me that "getting a Charlie" is a thing (you know who you are little birdie wotf011 )

Anyone know if his signing his rejection letters "Charlie" is significant?

What does it all mean?! Lol...
~A
Last edited by AliciaCay on Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
V32: HM (Q4)
V33: HM, HM, SHM, HM
V34: R, R, HM, HM
V35: HM, Q2-TBD
https://aliciacay.com
"I turned silences and nights into words. What was unutterable, I wrote down. I made the whirling world stand still." -Arthur Rimbaud

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:22 pm

My personal rejection from him was the same, and I keep it in my email inbox for when I'm feeling like a fraud. If one of the big editors could take time to give me feedback, I shouldn't give up, neh? I would be interested if there was something special about that signature too!

Jeremyteg

Postby Jeremyteg » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:35 pm

AliciaCay wrote:Hey all,

I heard a rumor and was wondering about it - thought I might ask here.

On a whim, I submitted a story to F&SF in September and my rejection letter from Mr. Finlay was signed, "Best regards, Charlie".

Then a little birdie told me that "getting a Charlie" is a thing (you know who you are little birdie wotf011 )

Anyone know if his signing his rejection letters "Charlie" is significant?

What does it all mean?! Lol...
~A

I, too, have heard the "getting a Charlie" rumor from a few different sources, but I'm not 100% sure what it means beyond it being a personal rejection. I CAN say that the story I sold to BCS was one that he rejected with a "Charlie," so make of that what you will.

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”