Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
vsutherland01
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:20 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby vsutherland01 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:28 pm

I try so hard to play nonchalant when I get that Rejection email. I just smile and click 'delete'. Then I stroll to my window, breathe in the fresh air of new possibilities, and lob my computer into the street.

This time, though! This time I'm ready to handle the R like an adult wotf011
Honorable Mentions: 2
Rejections: 4

User avatar
AmytheAuthor
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:47 am

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby AmytheAuthor » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:47 pm

Dang it. Thank you!
Constantly writing in my mind, rarely getting it typed up.
Q1 35: R Q3 35:
. wotf052

Wulf Moon
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:54 pm
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby Wulf Moon » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:58 pm

Amy's and Jeremy's comments should be taken seriously--since they've won, they should know. I'll add one other suggestion. If you choose to resubmit a story, make sure you really believe in it, and then put thoughtful, diligent effort into making it better, like Amy described. Also, getting eyes on it from someone with good publishing credits really helps--probably not your best friend or mom that is obligated to say everything you do is wonderful and lets put this on the refridgerator, sweetie. : ) And leave it out of the contest for awhile. Even a year or more is not too long in my opinion, because you don't want Dave thinking he's read this before, and that the idea just doesn't seem fresh. Yeah, he read it before. From you! So be careful, and be prudent if you choose to resubmit. : )

And I'll still say your next story is your best story, because I believe that. : )

The Q2 quarter is about to bite the dust. What's in your wallet?

~Moon~

User avatar
morganb
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:11 am
Location: Tiffin, Ohio

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby morganb » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:41 am

AmytheAuthor wrote:Another question. The website wasn't working when I submitted, so I had to do hard copy... Does that mean I'll be notified of results by snail mail? The wait is killing me already even though I'm pretty chill and patient in the real world. You regulars are both helpful and hyping things to an unhealthy level at the same time!


Hi Amy,
Many of us had trouble with the website glitching when we tried to submit for Q1. I'll admit I freaked out quite a bit myself when I tried submitting on the very last day and the page wouldn't let me. The helpful folks here on the forums instructed me to email my sub directly to Joni at Author Services and that worked like a charm; Joni wrote back and let me know I was all set for the quarter. So that's always an option if it ever happens again, just in case you'd like to save on postage!

~Morgan
"If you can do it for joy, you can do it forever."
- Stephen King

Infrequent posts about this whole writing experience thing...http://mbroadhead.blogspot.com/

HM x 1
R x 4

User avatar
AmytheAuthor
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:47 am

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby AmytheAuthor » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:50 am

Thanks Morgan, I asked Dave and he said to mail it. :/ but yes, that's good to know!
Constantly writing in my mind, rarely getting it typed up.
Q1 35: R Q3 35:
. wotf052

jficke13
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:24 am
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby jficke13 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:34 am

AmytheAuthor wrote:Another question. The website wasn't working when I submitted, so I had to do hard copy... Does that mean I'll be notified of results by snail mail? The wait is killing me already even though I'm pretty chill and patient in the real world. You regulars are both helpful and hyping things to an unhealthy level at the same time!


That happened to me a few quarters back. I tried submitting on the last day of the quarter, and the portal was "closed." I got it submitted to Joni via email, so it ended up being a non-issue, but it drove in one lesson I'm sticking with now: Always submit at least one day before the submission window closes.

Not just for WotF, but for anything. Why chance a glitch keeping your story out of the fight, no?
HM x2, Vol. 34 Q4 - 3rd. http://www.jonficke.com

KD Julicher
Posts: 295
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:15 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby KD Julicher » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:18 am

So we probably have another month and a half till Thursdays come again...

Hoping this will be my quarter! But working on my Q2 entry nonetheless.
WOTF: HM x 6, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

TLBenjamin
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:31 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby TLBenjamin » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:31 pm

RSchibler wrote:
TLBenjamin wrote:I know that results for Q 1 are always late, but I was hoping to hear something by this week or next. Based on I see here, nobody has received word yet.

Based on the last 2 years, expect them in early April. It floods in here when they come out, though.


Thank you!

User avatar
Dustin Adams
Posts: 1581
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:47 am
Location: NY, state of
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby Dustin Adams » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:35 pm

KD Julicher wrote:So we probably have another month and a half till Thursdays come again...

Hoping this will be my quarter! But working on my Q2 entry nonetheless.

Q1 is always the longest wait...

...


...
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

User avatar
michaeljwyantjr
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:16 am
Location: Lost in the country, NY
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:39 pm

*taps foot at 226 bpm*
WotF Results:
  • R:2
  • HM:5
  • sHM:0
  • SF:0
  • F:0
  • Last: HM, Q2 v35
  • Pending, Q3/Q4 v35

AliciaCay
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby AliciaCay » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:19 pm

This is off-topic I realize, but I got my copy of WotF Volume 34 from Amazon today. I pre-ordered it a couple of weeks ago, but the site says the book will be released on April 10th, so I wasn't expecting it this soon. I also checked Galaxy Press's website and it also says the book will be released on April 10th.
I sat down tonight and read a couple of the stories in it, and in at least one story there's a major typo with a character's name. Is it possible I got some sort of Arc copy? Did they do an early release maybe, has anyone else gotten a copy that they pre-ordered? Why do I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone?

Alicia
V32: HM (Q4)
V33: HM, HM, SHM, HM
V34: R, R, HM, HM
V35: HM, HM, Q3-TBD
https://aliciacay.com
"I turned silences and nights into words. What was unutterable, I wrote down. I made the whirling world stand still." -Arthur Rimbaud

jficke13
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:24 am
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby jficke13 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:17 am

AliciaCay wrote:This is off-topic I realize, but I got my copy of WotF Volume 34 from Amazon today. I pre-ordered it a couple of weeks ago, but the site says the book will be released on April 10th, so I wasn't expecting it this soon. I also checked Galaxy Press's website and it also says the book will be released on April 10th.
I sat down tonight and read a couple of the stories in it, and in at least one story there's a major typo with a character's name. Is it possible I got some sort of Arc copy? Did they do an early release maybe, has anyone else gotten a copy that they pre-ordered? Why do I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone?

Alicia


I got called yesterday with a frantic "don't open your mail." Somebody screwed up and the preorders shipped early. At this point I just want to make sure I don't see the art before LA...
HM x2, Vol. 34 Q4 - 3rd. http://www.jonficke.com

KD Julicher
Posts: 295
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:15 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby KD Julicher » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:27 am

jficke13 wrote:I got called yesterday with a frantic "don't open your mail." Somebody screwed up and the preorders shipped early. At this point I just want to make sure I don't see the art before LA...



Oh.... oh, yes, you most certainly do want to be unspoiled on the artwork. It's one of the best moments of the week. Maybe of your life.
WOTF: HM x 6, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

AliciaCay
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby AliciaCay » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:35 am

jficke13 wrote:
AliciaCay wrote:This is off-topic I realize, but I got my copy of WotF Volume 34 from Amazon today. I pre-ordered it a couple of weeks ago, but the site says the book will be released on April 10th, so I wasn't expecting it this soon. I also checked Galaxy Press's website and it also says the book will be released on April 10th.
I sat down tonight and read a couple of the stories in it, and in at least one story there's a major typo with a character's name. Is it possible I got some sort of Arc copy? Did they do an early release maybe, has anyone else gotten a copy that they pre-ordered? Why do I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone?

Alicia


I got called yesterday with a frantic "don't open your mail." Somebody screwed up and the preorders shipped early. At this point I just want to make sure I don't see the art before LA...



Ah, ok... makes sense. And yes about the art reveal! April is fast approaching, you must be terribly excited. Congrats again Jon!! wotf010
V32: HM (Q4)
V33: HM, HM, SHM, HM
V34: R, R, HM, HM
V35: HM, HM, Q3-TBD
https://aliciacay.com
"I turned silences and nights into words. What was unutterable, I wrote down. I made the whirling world stand still." -Arthur Rimbaud

vsutherland01
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:20 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby vsutherland01 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:51 am

I thought today was the day last year I got my R. I distinctly remember having an R with time to spare before Q2 submissions were due.
Honorable Mentions: 2
Rejections: 4

User avatar
disgruntledpeony
Posts: 678
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:20 am

vsutherland01 wrote:I thought today was the day last year I got my R. I distinctly remember having an R with time to spare before Q2 submissions were due.

I think R's might have come around this time last year, but the rest of the results definitely came after the start of April.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, F, R
2018: HM, ?

vsutherland01
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:20 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby vsutherland01 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:34 am

Ah that makes sense. Well if I can last past that I suppose I can twitch for an HM lol. Back to work on Q2.
Honorable Mentions: 2
Rejections: 4

Wulf Moon
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:54 pm
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby Wulf Moon » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:02 pm

That's freaky about the early release of the book. It makes the art reveal moot! It makes the book reveal moot! Sorry to hear this, and it would be *really* hard not to open the package. It's so exciting holding a new book in hand, ESPECIALLY when your story is in it!

Yoda voice: "Control. You must learn control!"

Stares at the package. Stares at the package. Stares at the package ....

~Moon~

User avatar
AmytheAuthor
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:47 am

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby AmytheAuthor » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:06 am

vsutherland01 wrote:I try so hard to play nonchalant when I get that Rejection email. I just smile and click 'delete'. Then I stroll to my window, breathe in the fresh air of new possibilities, and lob my computer into the street.

This time, though! This time I'm ready to handle the R like an adult wotf011


wotf019
Constantly writing in my mind, rarely getting it typed up.
Q1 35: R Q3 35:
. wotf052

User avatar
AmytheAuthor
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:47 am

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby AmytheAuthor » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:08 am

They shipped it early... I'd be like, not my fault, tear that baby open, do a happy dance, write a post on Facebook with security set to "only me," then tell no one until the release date.
I feed my impulse control wolf. My self -control wolf is quite feeble.
Constantly writing in my mind, rarely getting it typed up.
Q1 35: R Q3 35:
. wotf052

historythatneverwas
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:13 pm
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby historythatneverwas » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:27 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:
vsutherland01 wrote:I thought today was the day last year I got my R. I distinctly remember having an R with time to spare before Q2 submissions were due.

I think R's might have come around this time last year, but the rest of the results definitely came after the start of April.


Can confirm, I got my HM result in LATE April last year.
Dawn Vogel
Website History That Never Was

User avatar
AmytheAuthor
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:47 am

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby AmytheAuthor » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:10 pm

What's the email address that news comes from? I'm paranoid it will go to spam or something.
Constantly writing in my mind, rarely getting it typed up.
Q1 35: R Q3 35:
. wotf052

User avatar
michaeljwyantjr
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:16 am
Location: Lost in the country, NY
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:22 pm

Well, was right the first time. They come from mailer @ wizehive . com
WotF Results:
  • R:2
  • HM:5
  • sHM:0
  • SF:0
  • F:0
  • Last: HM, Q2 v35
  • Pending, Q3/Q4 v35

AliRae
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:05 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby AliRae » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:38 pm

I’m having a hard time keeping my cool waiting. Checks inbox again.

User avatar
Jeremyteg
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:38 am
Location: Spokane, WA
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby Jeremyteg » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:36 pm

AliRae wrote:I’m having a hard time keeping my cool waiting. Checks inbox again.


'round these parts we call that "twitching." wotf007

KD Julicher
Posts: 295
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:15 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby KD Julicher » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:18 am

So if we don't see first results this week, I think we won't see them till mid-to-late April. The workshop week and Gala are coming right up, and everything will be swamped.

This is always the long quarter. Get your Q2s in!
WOTF: HM x 6, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

User avatar
RSchibler
Posts: 238
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby RSchibler » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:39 am

KD Julicher wrote:So if we don't see first results this week, I think we won't see them till mid-to-late April. The workshop week and Gala are coming right up, and everything will be swamped.

This is always the long quarter. Get your Q2s in!


I really hope we get the wave today! I’ve always been notified mid-afternoon and evening US time; I’m totally not refreshing my email every few minutes. wotf051
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: Q2 R, Q3 HM, Q4 R
Vol35: Q1 HM, Q2 R, Q3 R, Q4 pending

Blogging about my writing journey at: http://www.rebeccaetreasure.com/blog

rachelwrites
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:15 am

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby rachelwrites » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:04 pm

RSchibler wrote: I’m totally not refreshing my email every few minutes. wotf051


I'm not either, and I'm also not saying "you've been rejected" whenever I see a new email to prepare myself for the worst. wotf011
Vol 34(Q3): HM
Vol 35(Q1): ??

User avatar
AmytheAuthor
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:47 am

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby AmytheAuthor » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:15 pm

michaeljwyantjr wrote:Well, was right the first time. They come from mailer @ wizehive . com


Thank you!
Constantly writing in my mind, rarely getting it typed up.
Q1 35: R Q3 35:
. wotf052

kentagions
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:45 pm
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby kentagions » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:34 am

Don't twitch until the first pass passes you! wotf043

wotf033


Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest