Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Wulf Moon
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:54 pm
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby Wulf Moon » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:49 am

Congratulations, Preston! Well deserved! You are simply one of the eight now, and will stand on your own merit against the other anonymous contestants. May your next call or message or carrier pigeon be a great one! I've had many real life friends win this contest over the past twenty plus years, and they've had nothing but good things to say about their experiences. MANY had their stellar careers launched from this very contest. I truly hope you win so you get to enjoy the same!

Cheers!

~Moon~

YM Pang
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby YM Pang » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:29 am

Congratulations, Preston. There's no one who deserves it more. I hope you win, and if you do I hope you have a fantastic experience at the workshop. I do wish Joni had been honest with you about the circumstances, regardless of what they were... Anyway, the stories are very close at the top, and you stand as good a chance as anyone.

Meanwhile, I... got an HM. Which makes my run under Dave now: R, F, HM, HM, HM, HM, HM, R, HM. No one can say I lack consistency...

What are those mythical SHMs and SFs? Do they really exist?
Michelle Pang
http://www.ympang.com
1xFinalist, 9xHM

"Final Flight of the PhoenixWing" in The Razor's Edge
"The Cosmos Chronicler" in Polar Borealis #6

User avatar
kyle
Posts: 832
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:35 am
Location: Fresno, CA
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby kyle » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:41 am

By the way, y'all, I know this has been said before, but it bears repeating: Your honorable mentions and semi-finalists are GOOD stories. I've sold stories that were straight-up rejects here. Several people I know have sold HMs and SFs to big-three magazines, unchanged. Give yours a quick looksee to see if you still stand by it (and to catch that typo you missed), and then get it back out on submit somewhere else.

And, yes, at this level the differences between a finalist and a semi-finalists really come down to taste more than anything else, so you promoted semi-finalists should not be feeling in any way insecure. You are now finalists, and you deserve to be. (Whether or not you WANT to be is up to you. wotf007 )

KD Julicher
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:15 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby KD Julicher » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:53 am

My V34 Q4 SHM should be appearing in Intergalactic Medicine Show later this summer, so yes! Just because it's not a finalist, don't trunk that story. Get it out there and find it a home!
WOTF: HM x 6, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

User avatar
preston
Posts: 962
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:06 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby preston » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:10 pm

Thanks, Wulf & Michele. I really appreciate your kind words.

YM Pang
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby YM Pang » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:16 pm

I've sold an HM. So, yeah, keep sending those stories out.

I feel the decision to "trunk" a story shouldn't depend on how many HMs or personal rejections it got. Only trunk a story once you yourself no longer wish to publish it. There are writers who got 20 rejections for a story but ended up selling it to a big market. I have a friend who had a story rejected by a token-paying market but went on to sell it to a pro market. wotf007
Michelle Pang
http://www.ympang.com
1xFinalist, 9xHM

"Final Flight of the PhoenixWing" in The Razor's Edge
"The Cosmos Chronicler" in Polar Borealis #6

KristyEmber
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:56 am

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby KristyEmber » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:39 am

Congratulatulations Rui and Preston! It's awesome to have finalists on the boards, and three is the perfect number. I hope you take out the top spots :).

Also, I agree with all those who have said that once you're in the top group, they are ALL great stories, so it's just a matter of luck in that your story happens to dovetail with the personal taste of the judges that quarter. (In fact, I've always wondered how they ever manage to agree on the same top 3).

User avatar
MattDovey
Posts: 397
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:33 am
Location: England
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby MattDovey » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:06 am

KristyEmber wrote:(In fact, I've always wondered how they ever manage to agree on the same top 3).


I know this is true for the Golden Pen, and I think it's true for the quarters as well: they rank them in order of preference, and then ASI tally up points from that.

This was my great advantage of the v32 1st place winners: I was the only fantasy story, so that voting bloc united behind me whilst the other three stories split the SF vote. I was told that Brandon Sanderson (judging for the first time that year) only listed my story in his Golden Pen rankings, because he liked my magic system and just wanted me to win. How's that for a compliment to put a smile on your face--Brandon Sanderson of all people liking your magic system wotf013

(Another judge was also overheard declaring "I can't believe they let the fantasy story win!", but I'll not name names there. I suspect KD can remember who I'm referring to #teamfantasy)
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

KD Julicher
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:15 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby KD Julicher » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:58 am

MattDovey wrote:(Another judge was also overheard declaring "I can't believe they let the fantasy story win!", but I'll not name names there. I suspect KD can remember who I'm referring to #teamfantasy)



I love this judge as a writer and a person but I know for a fact that he judged 3 of my 4 finalist quarters, and I can't imagine that my stories ranked very highly in his listing. Perhaps now that he is a... judge emeritus... I'll have better luck next time.
WOTF: HM x 6, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

User avatar
Beth Powers
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:12 pm
Location: Indiana
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby Beth Powers » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:12 pm

I'm slow to report in on this one, but I was one of the ones who submitted after the portal closed early, and I received an Honorable Mention email on April 25th!

Wulf Moon
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:54 pm
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby Wulf Moon » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:28 pm

Beth Powers wrote:I'm slow to report in on this one, but I was one of the ones who submitted after the portal closed early, and I received an Honorable Mention email on April 25th!


Congatulations, Beth! That's a nice collection. You should be close to being able to wallpaper one wall in your office in them! wotf001

User avatar
Beth Powers
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:12 pm
Location: Indiana
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby Beth Powers » Tue May 01, 2018 5:25 pm

Wulf Moon wrote: Congatulations, Beth! That's a nice collection. You should be close to being able to wallpaper one wall in your office in them! wotf001


True! If only I knew where they all were.... wotf007

LDWriter2
Posts: 3390
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 8:59 pm
Location: Central Cailf.
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby LDWriter2 » Tue May 01, 2018 6:43 pm

Congratulations to the two finalists I haven't congratulated. Plus congrats to the HMs. Those stories usually do good after getting one.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

beavs007
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:03 am

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby beavs007 » Mon May 07, 2018 3:59 am

Can someone help me out? Let me see if I understand all this?

The portal closed early for Q1 this year. They realized their mistake and allowed additional entries? Then this backlogged the results so they have not yet published the winners? Is this correct?

Are there any websites up that have a listing of the winners?

I submitted for the first time for Q2. Will those announcements also be postponed? They told me that maybe results would be out by mid June...

User avatar
disgruntledpeony
Posts: 676
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon May 07, 2018 4:07 am

beavs007 wrote:Can someone help me out? Let me see if I understand all this?

The portal closed early for Q1 this year. They realized their mistake and allowed additional entries? Then this backlogged the results so they have not yet published the winners? Is this correct?

Are there any websites up that have a listing of the winners?

I submitted for the first time for Q2. Will those announcements also be postponed? They told me that maybe results would be out by mid June...

It always takes a long time to get results for Q1 and Q2 back, and there's not an exact timetable. I know it sucks, but the best option is simply to try and be patient.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, F, R
2018: HM, ?

beavs007
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:03 am

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby beavs007 » Mon May 07, 2018 5:07 am

[/quote]
It always takes a long time to get results for Q1 and Q2 back, and there's not an exact timetable. I know it sucks, but the best option is simply to try and be patient.[/quote]


Thanks! Appreciate the encouragement.

User avatar
morganb
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:11 am
Location: Tiffin, Ohio

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby morganb » Mon May 07, 2018 6:26 am

beavs007 wrote:Can someone help me out? Let me see if I understand all this?

The portal closed early for Q1 this year. They realized their mistake and allowed additional entries? Then this backlogged the results so they have not yet published the winners? Is this correct?

Are there any websites up that have a listing of the winners?

I submitted for the first time for Q2. Will those announcements also be postponed? They told me that maybe results would be out by mid June...


The submission portal is usually finicky on the last day of the quarter-end deadline. Not sure if this is a system issue, or maybe something to do with the various time zone differences, or what. Best advice (which I had to learn the hard away) is to make sure you don't wait until the last two hours of the deadline to submit your story! lol Joni has always been very flexible for people experiencing technical difficulties with their submissions and allowed us to submit via email directly to her.

Also, I don't think it was necessarily the system that caused the long wait times for Q1 results. That probably had more to due with the timing of the winners workshop and awards ceremony and everyone's travel and lots of extra work. People are human (at least until we're all finished evolving into whatever comes next for us) and everyone simply had a lot going on. I expect that announcements for Q2 won't take nearly as long now that the gala is over and done with.

You can always check the blog at Writers of the Future for the latest announcements and postings of the winners, semi's, and HM's.


~Morgan
"If you can do it for joy, you can do it forever."
- Stephen King

Infrequent posts about this whole writing experience thing...http://mbroadhead.blogspot.com/

HM x 1
R x 4

KristyEmber
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:56 am

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby KristyEmber » Mon May 07, 2018 2:12 pm

I have been checking everyday in the hopes for finalist news! This must be agonizing for you guys...

Beavs, I personally don’t expect to hear q2 results till at least mid July. At the moment, the process seems to be the finalists get notified by a phone call, and not long after that everyone else gets their results by email.

If you’re lucky enough to be finalist, expect to wait another few painful weeks to find out if you are a winner.

Henckel
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:30 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby Henckel » Mon May 07, 2018 6:27 pm

Friends, I’ve been absent for a while, but I’m back and looking to submit this quarter.
This lapse of motivation came from my partner who said, “Chris, remember when I told you I didn’t like that one story. Well, that wasn’t true. Actually it terrified me—creepy as hell. You should dust it off, polish it, and submit to that contest you’re always going blah-blah-blah about.”
Okay, pointless, I know. Thought I’d get off off my chest.

Question for ya’ll:
I see a lot of comments about judges’ preferences and such (e.g. Fantasy with good magic system over sci-fi). I’m guessing these are personal observation. I’d be delighted to hear other participants’ personal observations on their successes and learnings from the contest.

User avatar
preston
Posts: 962
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:06 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby preston » Mon May 07, 2018 6:40 pm

The judge, David Farland, has often said he first looks for three things when reading for this contest: an original trope, polished prose, and a strong story arc. He's mentioned many other things, such as vivid settings, a strong hook with speculative elements, believable characters, an emotional ending...etc. IMHO, just write the best story you can. Keep it as tight and short as possible, and enter it. Dave has said that he gets a lot of medieval fantasy and horror, and that he doesn't get a lot of hard SF or humor pieces, so that might increase your chances. IMHO, an original creative and inventive trope is probably the most important thing. That's what's worked best for me. Good luck!

Henckel
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:30 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby Henckel » Mon May 07, 2018 8:58 pm

preston wrote:The judge, David Farland, has often said he first looks for three things when reading for this contest: an original trope, polished prose, and a strong story arc. He's mentioned many other things, such as vivid settings, a strong hook with speculative elements, believable characters, an emotional ending...etc. IMHO, just write the best story you can. Keep it as tight and short as possible, and enter it. Dave has said that he gets a lot of medieval fantasy and horror, and that he doesn't get a lot of hard SF or humor pieces, so that might increase your chances. IMHO, an original creative and inventive trope is probably the most important thing. That's what's worked best for me. Good luck!

That's fantastic. Thanks for that!

beavs007
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:03 am

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby beavs007 » Tue May 08, 2018 3:52 am

KristyEmber wrote:I have been checking everyday in the hopes for finalist news! This must be agonizing for you guys...

Beavs, I personally don’t expect to hear q2 results till at least mid July. At the moment, the process seems to be the finalists get notified by a phone call, and not long after that everyone else gets their results by email.

If you’re lucky enough to be finalist, expect to wait another few painful weeks to find out if you are a winner.



Thanks!

User avatar
morganb
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:11 am
Location: Tiffin, Ohio

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby morganb » Tue May 08, 2018 3:58 am

The final outcome of the contest is always the annual anthology. I'm sure Dave wants to make sure there's a little bit of everything in that anthology -- a melting pot flavored by all the subgenres found inside fantasy and science fiction. So you might submit an amazing fantasy story in Q4, but if the collection is already weighted heavily on the side of fantasy from the previous three quarters, I would think your story might not win no matter how awesome it is (but could perhaps be a finalist). I'm not positive about this and am only speculating though; maybe some former finalists can chime in on this theory.

~Morgan
"If you can do it for joy, you can do it forever."
- Stephen King

Infrequent posts about this whole writing experience thing...http://mbroadhead.blogspot.com/

HM x 1
R x 4

User avatar
Jeremyteg
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:38 am
Location: Spokane, WA
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby Jeremyteg » Tue May 08, 2018 5:02 pm

morganb wrote:The final outcome of the contest is always the annual anthology. I'm sure Dave wants to make sure there's a little bit of everything in that anthology -- a melting pot flavored by all the subgenres found inside fantasy and science fiction. So you might submit an amazing fantasy story in Q4, but if the collection is already weighted heavily on the side of fantasy from the previous three quarters, I would think your story might not win no matter how awesome it is (but could perhaps be a finalist). I'm not positive about this and am only speculating though; maybe some former finalists can chime in on this theory.

~Morgan


Dave has briefly discussed this, and did say that he tries to balance the anthology a bit. That said, Volume 34 is 3/4ths fantasy stories of some variety, with only one conventional "hard science fiction" story. Volume 32 I think was the opposite, with most of the stories being science fiction. So the idea that a story can't win if it is too similar to winning stories from earlier quarters doesn't seem accurate.

The best strategy, in my opinion, is to write the story you want to tell as best as you can and not try to overthink the strategic elements.

Henckel
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:30 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby Henckel » Tue May 08, 2018 5:56 pm

morganb wrote:The final outcome of the contest is always the annual anthology. I'm sure Dave wants to make sure there's a little bit of everything in that anthology -- a melting pot flavored by all the subgenres found inside fantasy and science fiction. So you might submit an amazing fantasy story in Q4, but if the collection is already weighted heavily on the side of fantasy from the previous three quarters, I would think your story might not win no matter how awesome it is (but could perhaps be a finalist). I'm not positive about this and am only speculating though; maybe some former finalists can chime in on this theory.

~Morgan


Thanks!

KD Julicher
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:15 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby KD Julicher » Tue May 08, 2018 6:17 pm

I believe Dave tends to select one story in 8 or so subgenres as finalist each quarter - one epic fantasy, one contemporary, one space opera, etc. Those go to the quarter judges, who pick their favorites out of the 8. The top 3 are then the winners of the quarter. So if the judges in each quarter prefer the SF piece over a fantasy, the anthology will skew that way.

You can see how Dave influences the anthology by the pick of the published finalist. In V32, there were more SF pieces than fantasy, so Dave looked for a fantasy piece. He also thought the stories tended more toward the dark, so he wanted something a bit less dark. Result, my epic fantasy romance got published. Hey, I'm not complaining!
WOTF: HM x 6, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

Henckel
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:30 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby Henckel » Tue May 08, 2018 6:32 pm

What’s your writing style?
    ease of readability,
    lyrical, or
    academic?
I hear that Dave W specifically looks for ease of readability. Also, most (if not all) of the WOTF stories I’ve read tend to lean toward this same end of the spectrum.
Has anyone had any degree of success in this contest with lyrical or academic styles?

YM Pang
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby YM Pang » Tue May 08, 2018 10:10 pm

Jeremyteg wrote:Volume 32 I think was the opposite, with most of the stories being science fiction.

It sure felt that way while reading it. But when I went back I counted, I think it's just 7 sci-fi to 6 fantasy. (Would be 7:5 without KD's PF.)

Henckel wrote:What’s your writing style?
    ease of readability,
    lyrical, or
    academic?
I hear that Dave W specifically looks for ease of readability. Also, most (if not all) of the WOTF stories I’ve read tend to lean toward this same end of the spectrum.
Has anyone had any degree of success in this contest with lyrical or academic styles?

I got a finalist with a "literary" style. Quick scene changes, shifts between past and present tense, first person mixed with what could be called omniscient voice. Maybe its uniqueness is what got the finalist, but it might also be why it didn't win. wotf017
Michelle Pang
http://www.ympang.com
1xFinalist, 9xHM

"Final Flight of the PhoenixWing" in The Razor's Edge
"The Cosmos Chronicler" in Polar Borealis #6

Henckel
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:30 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby Henckel » Wed May 09, 2018 12:55 am

YM Pang wrote:I got a finalist with a "literary" style. Quick scene changes, shifts between past and present tense, first person mixed with what could be called omniscient voice. Maybe its uniqueness is what got the finalist, but it might also be why it didn't win. wotf017


Thanks for sharing. I'd be interested to hear others' experiences on the subject too.

Sataris
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:54 am

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby Sataris » Wed May 09, 2018 4:49 pm

Henckel wrote:
YM Pang wrote:I got a finalist with a "literary" style. Quick scene changes, shifts between past and present tense, first person mixed with what could be called omniscient voice. Maybe its uniqueness is what got the finalist, but it might also be why it didn't win. wotf017


Thanks for sharing. I'd be interested to hear others' experiences on the subject too.


My silver honorable had a bit of a literary bent to it - though in hindsight, I probably put too much focus on the language (at the expense of plot in particular).
2017: Q4: SHM - forthcoming in Syntax and Salt
2018: Q1: 1st Place


Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest