Four in Thirty-Five (4 in 35!)

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
disgruntledpeony

Re: Four in Thirty-Five (4 in 35!)

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:11 pm

Wulf Moon wrote:And with my Q4 results in, there now is only...

4 in 35! Unless I win or pro out, of course!

Cheers!

~Moon~

Onward and upward! wotf024 4 in 35!
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015: R
2016: SF, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, F, R
2018: HM, SHM

thegirlintheglasses

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:31 am

Less than five weeks guys! Good luck polishing and pruning. 4 in 35!!! wotf024
Brittany Rainsdon
R-SHM-HM-R-HM-R

John Goodwin asked me to type up a blog post about writing my wotf entry around giving birth. Here it is!
https://www.writersofthefuture.com/birt ... -rainsdon/

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:55 pm

thegirlintheglasses wrote:Less than five weeks guys! Good luck polishing and pruning. 4 in 35!!! wotf024

Can has rough draft.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:14 pm

Send it my way if you want another pair of eyes on! I'm done with my nano novel and have been working on this one for months. I'm way ahead!
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: Q2 R, Q3 HM, Q4 R
Vol35: Q1 HM, Q2 R, Q3 R, Q4 pending

Blogging about my writing journey at: http://www.rebeccaetreasure.com/blog

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:56 pm

RSchibler wrote:Send it my way if you want another pair of eyes on! I'm done with my nano novel and have been working on this one for months. I'm way ahead!

I'll send it when it's not total crap. wotf019

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:28 am

I'm a little late to the party, but what the hell... I'm in. They might not be my best stories, but they'll be going in each quarter. wotf024
WotF Results:
  • R:2
  • HM:6
  • sHM:0
  • SF:0
  • F:0
  • Last: HM, Q3 v35
  • Pending, Q4 v35

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:38 am

michaeljwyantjr wrote:I'm a little late to the party, but what the hell... I'm in. They might not be my best stories, but they'll be going in each quarter. wotf024

Awesome! wotf010 Technically speaking, you're not late to the party unless you wait until January. wotf001

rachelwrites

Postby rachelwrites » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:43 am

Curious if anyone else has one foot in each quarter right now? I'm editing my Q1, brainstorming my Q2, and working on draft 1 of a novel. Balancing multiple projects is new to me and I'm feeling like a crazy person! wotf019 How do you all keep it straight? The best I've been able to come up with is different music for each project.
Vol 34(Q3): HM
Vol 35(Q1): ??

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:14 am

rachelwrites wrote:Curious if anyone else has one foot in each quarter right now? I'm editing my Q1, brainstorming my Q2, and working on draft 1 of a novel. Balancing multiple projects is new to me and I'm feeling like a crazy person! wotf019 How do you all keep it straight? The best I've been able to come up with is different music for each project.

I have a story in progress for this quarter and a few potential ideas for what to do next quarter, although I haven't really settled on anything concrete. I also have a previously written story in reserve as a backup, although that a) probably won't go anywhere and b) seems like cheating.

rachelwrites

Postby rachelwrites » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:27 am

disgruntledpeony wrote: I also have a previously written story in reserve as a backup, although that a) probably won't go anywhere and b) seems like cheating.

To me, this sounds less like cheating and more like insurance!

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:23 am

rachelwrites wrote:
disgruntledpeony wrote: I also have a previously written story in reserve as a backup, although that a) probably won't go anywhere and b) seems like cheating.

It feels like cheating because a) my writer's brain claims I should have it out somewhere else and b) it hasn't sold anywhere yet, so it's probably not good enough anyway. Stupid brain, being all cynical. XP

jficke13

Postby jficke13 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:24 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:
rachelwrites wrote:

It feels like cheating because a) my writer's brain claims I should have it out somewhere else and b) it hasn't sold anywhere yet, so it's probably not good enough anyway. Stupid brain, being all cynical. XP

Wrangle those brain weasels! My 3rd was a piece that got rejected somewhere else and I decided to use in the contest as "insurance." It might not have sold elsewhere because the market it's perfect for is this one.
HM x2, Vol. 34 Q4 - 3rd. http://www.jonficke.com

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:27 am

jficke13 wrote:Wrangle those brain weasels!

That's been a difficult task, lately. wotf012

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:57 am

I submit on like the last day in all the quarters I do manage to enter, so no, I don't have all four ready. Wish I did!
I've never done a four'fer, so I'm hoping to make this the first. wotf024
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:09 pm

Don't suppose anyone here is interested in a story swap? I'm sitting on a ~2,000 submission for Q1, so it's not a super heavy lift on my end (for once).

Ping me if interested!
WotF Results:
  • Pending, Q4 v35

reigheena

Postby reigheena » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:38 pm

1 down, 3 to go. I have next quarter planned, and an idea for third. 4th - no clue.
Silver Honorable Mention: 3
Honorable Mentions: 7. Published HM - Infant Insomnia
Other published works

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:39 am

reigheena wrote:1 down, 3 to go. I have next quarter planned, and an idea for third. 4th - no clue.

I second that.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R R R R HM

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:09 am

Q1 submission complete... on to next quarter!
WotF Results:
  • Pending, Q4 v35

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:21 pm

Q1 is in. I've got my Q2 plotted completely in my head, which is new. Usually I have setting and instigating incident but no more. I plan to enjoy the next week with my family and then get a first draft written early in the new year.
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: Q2 R, Q3 HM, Q4 R
Vol35: Q1 HM, Q2 R, Q3 R, Q4 pending

Blogging about my writing journey at: http://www.rebeccaetreasure.com/blog

AliciaCay

Postby AliciaCay » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:21 pm

1 down, 3 to go...

Quarter 2's rough draft is done, just needs some reworking.

Quarter 3's mostly written, just needs an ending -- pesky endings.

And Quarter 4's notes are done, and the outline has been written.

I plan to have all three done by the end of March, then my time will be freed up for novel writing... wotf024

That'll do, Donkey. That'll do...

~A
V32: HM (Q4)
V33: HM, HM, SHM, HM
V34: R, R, HM, HM
V35: HM, HM, Q3-TBD
https://aliciacay.com
"I turned silences and nights into words. What was unutterable, I wrote down. I made the whirling world stand still." -Arthur Rimbaud

preston

Postby preston » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:47 pm

Done with one!
It was fun.

Now for two.
Lot's to do.

Don't ask about three.
Too soon, you see.

AndrewDWallin

Postby AndrewDWallin » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:32 am

So, I..uh...just figured out how my story works last night in a 3am epiphany.

Now I just need to write, wdit (edit: lol/fail), and polish it before the deadline. That's the easy part, right?

O_o

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:57 am

AndrewDWallin wrote:So, I..uh...just figured out how my story works last night in a 3am epiphany.

Now I just need to write, wdit (edit: lol/fail), and polish it before the deadline. That's the easy part, right?

O_o

So long as it's short, it's theoretically doable. Go, go, go! wotf024

AndrewDWallin

Postby AndrewDWallin » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:19 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:
AndrewDWallin wrote:So, I..uh...just figured out how my story works last night in a 3am epiphany.

O_o

I'm shooting for 5k words max, so hopefully! Thanks for the encouragement. wotf013

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:34 pm

AndrewDWallin wrote:
disgruntledpeony wrote:

O_o

I'm shooting for 5k words max, so hopefully! Thanks for the encouragement. wotf013

No, no, no! I want everyone to submit a story just under 17K, so Dave won't reject me for being long again! wotf019

Go, go, go!

And for the record, logging in ONE in FOUR in Thirty-Five.

May the Force be with you!

~Moon~

rachelwrites

Postby rachelwrites » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:46 pm

Oh man. Despite starting early, I'm wrapping things up at the last minute. Going to do a final read through tomorrow and send mine in!

I don't really feel good about it, but I've been working on it for so long and I'm determined to make this quarter. Plus, I want to start on something new.

Good luck folks! Especially my fellow last-minute writers. We can do it!

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:32 am

rachelwrites wrote:Oh man. Despite starting early, I'm wrapping things up at the last minute. Going to do a final read through tomorrow and send mine in!

I don't really feel good about it, but I've been working on it for so long and I'm determined to make this quarter. Plus, I want to start on something new.

Good luck folks! Especially my fellow last-minute writers. We can do it!

You obviously made it as good as you knew how, Rachel. Now, let Dave be the judge and let it go. : )

When I teach watercolor, I tell my students what you leave out can be more important than what you put in. Too many new artists keep going back and working and reworking their paintings. At some point, they hit that one stroke too many point, and the painting is diminished, and if they can't stop themselves, it actually gets ruined as they keep going back in. It's good to step away and say, "Done is good."

And it's a great feeling to walk away from the old, take a deep breath...and try something entirely new.

Warmth and sunshine,

~Moon~

rachelwrites

Postby rachelwrites » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:15 pm

Wulf Moon wrote:
When I teach watercolor, I tell my students what you leave out can be more important than what you put in. Too many new artists keep going back and working and reworking their paintings. At some point, they hit that one stroke too many point, and the painting is diminished, and if they can't stop themselves, it actually gets ruined as they keep going back in. It's good to step away and say, "Done is good."

And I'm in!! Thank you, Moon, for the encouraging words that helped me feel slightly less crazy as I polished my story today. And thank you to all the awesome folks who critiqued my crappy early drafts! I learned so much from this story.

Beth Powers

Postby Beth Powers » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:55 am

I haven't done a good job of reading the forum lately, but I think this is great! With my entry today, I'm starting my second decade of 4 contest submissions each year. I cut it closer than I have in a long time on this quarter, so this will be good motivation to make sure I start early on the next one wotf024

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:08 pm

rachelwrites wrote:
Wulf Moon wrote:

And I'm in!! Thank you, Moon, for the encouraging words that helped me feel slightly less crazy as I polished my story today. And thank you to all the awesome folks who critiqued my crappy early drafts! I learned so much from this story.

You're welcome, Rachel! It's very easy to rewrite a story to death, instead of to life. I am always scared when I go in for a rewrite, and I put on kid gloves and say to myself, "Handle delicately if you must."

One thing I'm sure all of you have found. The more you write, the better your first drafts start looking.

That's because we're getting better. wotf013

Cheers!

~Moon~

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”