NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Jordan Lapp

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby Jordan Lapp » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:58 pm

The key is to be arrogant enough when you're submitting to think that your work can stand against the best out there, but have enough humbleness after you hit the "send" button to re-examine your work to find out how you could do better next time.
1st place winner Q3 2008
Managing Editor, Every Day Fiction
Visit my blog, Without Really Trying

Brad R. Torgersen
Location: Wasatch Front, United States, Planet Earth, Sol System

Postby Brad R. Torgersen » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:59 pm

Jordan Lapp wrote:The key is to be arrogant enough when you're submitting to think that your work can stand against the best out there, but have enough humbleness after you hit the "send" button to re-examine your work to find out how you could do better next time.

THIS!!!!!

+10
Coming up: "Life Flight," in Analog magazine
Coming up: "The Chaplain's War," from Baen Books
www.bradrtorgersen.com
Nebula, Hugo, and Campbell nominee.

Grayson Morris

Postby Grayson Morris » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:06 pm

So you mean this incredible peak-and-valley roller coaster ride I've been on is a good thing? Oh, thank heavens. ;-)
Much madness is divinest sense, to a discerning eye; much sense, the starkest madness. (Emily Dickinson)
http://www.graysonbraymorris.com
past entries: 5x HM, 3xR
current entries: none

izanobu

Postby izanobu » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:27 pm

Yes, Grayson. And it never ends :P

JoeyJordan

Postby JoeyJordan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:45 am

I wish there were "like" buttons here :D
Watch me, I understand I am powerful, now see what I become when I am focused and truely understand myself......

Rámhcheol

Ciao!

Postby Rámhcheol » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:49 pm

Hey, there!

My name's Kate. I'm an art student, but have a love for writing that rivals my love for art.

I'm afraid I'm not as accomplished as most of the other users here, but I'm not discouraged; I only thirst all the more desperately to improve my work, and this looks like a good place to do it.

Very nice to meet everyone, and I'm looking forward to the outcome of the contest so that I can read your beautiful entries!

soulmirror

Postby soulmirror » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:12 pm

Greetings to you, Ramhcheol Kate !!! Another double threat joins us! :)
Last edited by soulmirror on Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'The only tyrant we accept in this world is the still voice within.' -Gandhi
IOTF:Winner Q1 vol.27 (3x Finalist); WOTF: HM x2

kyle

Postby kyle » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:26 pm

Welcome, Kate, and don't stress about how you feel you compare to everyone else here. Winners have considered themselves unworthy, and there are those who consider themselves genius whose work never gets past an immediate rejection. Do your best, and best of luck with it!

Rámhcheol

c:

Postby Rámhcheol » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:53 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Humility is the key to success, in my opinion. One of them, anyway.

One learns so much less when one is arrogant.

I'm rummaging through the more-or-less "advice" forums on this site. They've been very helpful.

Have you both submitted to WotF before, then?

kyle

Postby kyle » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:13 pm

I entered every quarter for a long time in the late '80s. I've been "back" for two quarters now. It's a very different contest now than it was then.

Rámhcheol

Postby Rámhcheol » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:56 pm

WOW.

I had no idea this contest has been going on that long! Damn, I'm out of the loop.

Different in a good or a bad way? Or just different in a different way? : )

Grayson Morris

Postby Grayson Morris » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:17 am

Welcome, Kate!
Much madness is divinest sense, to a discerning eye; much sense, the starkest madness. (Emily Dickinson)

Rámhcheol

Postby Rámhcheol » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:10 am

Thank you!

Brad R. Torgersen
Location: Wasatch Front, United States, Planet Earth, Sol System

Postby Brad R. Torgersen » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:04 pm

Welcome, welcome, welcom!
Coming up: "Life Flight," in Analog magazine
Coming up: "The Chaplain's War," from Baen Books
www.bradrtorgersen.com
Nebula, Hugo, and Campbell nominee.

soulmirror

Postby soulmirror » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:09 pm

Rámhcheol wrote:WOW.

I had no idea this contest has been going on that long! Damn, I'm out of the loop.

Different in a good or a bad way? Or just different in a different way? : )

Well ... going on 27 years, since this will be anthology volume 27! I think the Illustration contest started about 6 years (?) after that? I even think I may have the first illustrated one, where (again, trying to recall) they'd gone out and found working artists (at least they had pre-existing track records in art) to get the idea going (so that probably wasn't the year of the IOTF contest starting, just beginning the ideas of illustrations for the upcoming IOTF contest) ... Maybe they hired illustrators from the very start, but that's the oldest one I have to go by.

We keep hearing how much the quality of the submissions keep improving, and that's no doubt true in general (though some Big Name Quality writers / winners were obviously getting started in those early years too!)

ART-wise, the earlier volumes (remember, we're going back as far as 20 years) I've seen have a greater gap between AMAZING artwork and ... yeah, I'll say it ... actual clunkers. You don't see that gap anymore, imo: all the art is pretty durn impressive and has been for years, imo.

Again, some great artists' careers were being launched even from the start and early on (um ... Mr. Shaun Tan, wonderful children's books and now recently Oscar-winning animator!) ... but the fewer writers and artists who KNEW about it, the fewer the Judges had to select from, no doubt, and the bigger the contests become NOW the better the quality of entry! (By the way, the contests have a half-page advertisement in the latest issue of SCI-FI magazine -- so imagine what THAT will bring in to the Judges!) :shock:

Do many of us see Contest ads or info, out amongst the genre magazines? Or writers' websites and forums?

I know it's a two-edged sword, wanting the world to know about the contests: more glamour means more writers and artists pouring in, more competition, versus more glamour means a bigger career boost when folks know what a Big Thing the contests are!

So that's a long-windy answer to your pondering. Different in a different way, but far better I'd guess.

Highspeedlimo

Postby Highspeedlimo » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:49 pm

Hi I'm Evan, for a long time I've been writing fantasy and science fiction stories and just recently I've embarked on a quest to get myself published before i go to college this coming fall. it was during this search i discovered this site and scholarship and i decided to see if my writing was up to the challenge of facing up against the best and the brightest writers around. Well, heres hoping that on my journey I can improve myself, my writing and meet new people that love writing just as much as i do.... i think im in the right place for that any how, thats me!

JoeyJordan

Postby JoeyJordan » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:32 pm

Welcome Evan! :D
Watch me, I understand I am powerful, now see what I become when I am focused and truely understand myself......

Grayson Morris

Postby Grayson Morris » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:23 pm

Yes, welcome, Evan!

Rámhcheol

Postby Rámhcheol » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:03 am

Hi, Evan! : )

@soulmirror: Shaun Tan got started through this contest?! Wow, that's frackin awesome.

I guess you've been here quite a while. Respect!

kyle

Postby kyle » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:05 am

Welcome, Evan, and, yeah, I think this contest is a great way to challenge yourself.

soulmirror

Postby soulmirror » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:43 pm

Zoomzoom to you, Highspeedlimo! Rocketships on the autobahn to you.

Rámhcheol wrote:
I guess you've been here quite a while.

Couplah years (2009 my info sez): It may just seem longer to anyone trying to wade through one of my ... oh nevermind. :) But early on I did try to hunt for older WOTF books at used book stores and a few off Amazon, to get a feel for what sorts of stories win, so that's why I tried to answer your wondering whether the contest has changed.

It'd be interesting to learn how long the average perp is involved in the contests before pro'ing out, winning, or calling it kweets.

Folks tend to agree everyone should just keep trying, and those stories that don't win ... just try to sell elsewhere. How can you beat the contests ... unless you have a specific other, non-contest project that needs 100% focus (another novel etc)? Some are good at juggling projects (obviously a best skill to have!) but some I suppose (like myself) might work best totally submerged in one thing at a time (real life sometimes sort of demands that either-or approach)

Sai

Postby Sai » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:49 am

Hello, long time lurker, first time poster here. I just submitted my first entry to the WotF contest yesterday. One of my New Year's goals is to enter a story every quarter until I place or pro-out, so I figured I better get started. I'm glad I found a whole community of people with like-minded goals :). After all, it's easier to eliminate your competition when they all gather in one place- ur, I mean, it's very nice to meet you all :lol:.
'Absolute Visions,' featuring my story 'The Machine that Loved Alan Turing,' on sale now

Q1- Submitted // Q2-Submitted // Q3-Planning stages

Grayson Morris

Postby Grayson Morris » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:21 pm

Welcome, Sai!

Rámhcheol

Postby Rámhcheol » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:23 pm

I just started my entry yesterday... :oops:

Welcome to the site. c:

Exopod

Postby Exopod » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:46 am

Hi.

People say I'm a sure-ified, glorified gift from God.

"I just like candy and I take it to the extreme!", is my response-in-return.

"But you are delicious like Strawberries and Whipped Cream." replies on non-closeted Dandy Apple.

"Why yes, yes indeed" I say. "But for at least the thousandth damn time, or so: I don't do showtunes and my idea of decorating is piling empty soda cans upon each other. Leave me alone!"

And...that..is..half the problem right there. :D

And if you can find a message or two in all of that, then you're most likely a Genius..or at least someone very, very special.

**The Crows Roars**

kyle

Postby kyle » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:46 pm

Hello, Sai and Exopod! Welcome to the conversations!

Grayson Morris

Postby Grayson Morris » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:23 am

Welcome, Exopod!

Patty

Postby Patty » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:42 am

Long time since I've been to this thread. Welcome everyone. Don't hesitate to participate in the rest of the forum. In this business, you learn most from interaction with other writers.
This Peaceful State of War - WOTF 27 (1st place second quarter 2010)

http://pattyjansen.com/
http://pattyjansen.com/blog

Ambassador Series, Icefire Trilogy, Return of the Aghyrians series, ISF/Allion word

jotro

Postby jotro » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:26 am

I am a retired drafting/engineering instructor. I have always read science fiction and have entered the contest in the past but have not had the talent to win. Right now, I'm attempting to write a decent story wherein a UFO lands and ET invites me into his ship and takes me for a ride and...
13,000 words so far.

I wish you all the best of luck.

jotro

Grayson Morris

Postby Grayson Morris » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:27 am

Welcome, jotro, and good luck to you!

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”