NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Beez

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby Beez » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:00 pm

Greetings! Sounds like procrastination hard at work! I did the same thing, for a while. I still lurk for the most part, but post occasionally. Anyway, always glad to see new faces.
My mottos: 1) Hakuna Matata 2) Carpe Diem 3) No Regrets 4) Never Give Up 5) The most futile thing in the world is an unasked question

AlistairKimble

Postby AlistairKimble » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:04 pm

Welcome aboard Tara! And good luck with the Masters!

Perhaps writing can be a nice diversion from the rigors of the Masters program. wotf008

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:31 pm

Welcome aboard, Tara! Careful, procrastination can be contagious here.
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

morshana

Postby morshana » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:52 pm

Welcome, Tara! wotf008
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

DavidK

Postby DavidK » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:02 am

Welcome Tara - you'll do fine here as long as you don't mention you live on a large continent that is also an island - they get a bit touchy about that!
Joined August 2011. HM's 2008 (from KD), 2013 (from DW), 2014 (2 from DW), 2015 (from DF), 2016 (3 from DF) Long pause for my PhD... but finally back again... Q2 V37? Q3

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:54 am

DavidK wrote:Welcome Tara - you'll do fine here as long as you don't mention you live on a large continent that is also an island - they get a bit touchy about that!

I don't care what the geographers say: if it's large enough to have three time zones, it's not an island, it's "just" a continent!

NNiNN

DavidK

Postby DavidK » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:57 am

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:I don't care what the geographers say: if it's large enough to have three time zones, it's not an island, it's "just" a continent!

See! What did I say -- don't say the word Island and Continent together wotf010
Joined August 2011. HM's 2008 (from KD), 2013 (from DW), 2014 (2 from DW), 2015 (from DF), 2016 (3 from DF) Long pause for my PhD... but finally back again... Q2 V37? Q3

Tara

Postby Tara » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:31 am

Thanks for the warm welcome, folks :) I shall steer well clear of any geographical discussions, as that's always my academic downfall. I'm perfectly happy to be smug about living in the future, however.

soulmirror

Postby soulmirror » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:37 am

Tara wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome, folks :) I shall steer well clear of any geographical discussions, as that's always my academic downfall. I'm perfectly happy to be smug about living in the future, however.

Since it's a forum of sci-fi and fantasy writers & illustrators, though, and the whole island vs continent kulturkampf has blown over .. I suppose we could argue about you saying 'the' future rather than 'a future'

Multiple timelines and universes = multiple futures. ay wot? wotf008

Anyway: WELCOME to you, one of many possible Taras!
'The only tyrant we accept in this world is the still voice within.' -Gandhi
IOTF:Winner Q1 vol.27 (3x Finalist); WOTF: HM x2

Patrick Ivan Burgess

Postby Patrick Ivan Burgess » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:11 pm

Hello kindred hearts. I'm new as a registered user but I've been ghosting my way in and out of the forums for a few years now. The passing of Ms. Wentworth was important enough for me to sign on so I could share my respect.

Thanks for sharing your stories of the ways she's touched your lives and your writing. Stories are for the lightening of burdens and the weighing of minds and hearts; a good story shared divides sorrow and pain, and multiplies joy and passion.
No power in the 'verse can stop me

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:33 pm

Despite the circumstances, welcome, Patrick. We're not quite Callahan's Saloon, but we try. Especially now.

NNiNN

DavidK

Postby DavidK » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:51 am

Welcome Patrick

Patrick Ivan Burgess

Postby Patrick Ivan Burgess » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:42 am

Thank you!

Spider Robinson just so happens to be one of the SF authors I really admire, for his writing, yes, but also for his enthusiastic optimism - you'd make a great patron at Callahan's, Martin wotf011
No power in the 'verse can stop me

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:53 am

Patrick Ivan Burgess wrote:Thank you!

Spider Robinson just so happens to be one of the SF authors I really admire, for his writing, yes, but also for his enthusiastic optimism - you'd make a great patron at Callahan's, Martin wotf011

Thank you, Patrick. We're going to get along well. Callahan's was a formative influence on me -- ironic, since I never drink alcohol. (And no, I'm not a vampire either!) Between Callahan's and a bunch of drunken fencers I hang out with, it's no surprise that I wrote a series of stories set in a Lunar bar.

NNiNN

bobsandiego

Postby bobsandiego » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:45 pm

Help my name is Bob, I write under Robert Mitchell Evans. I'm from the southeast of the U.S.A., served in the USN, worked at too many poorly paying jobs, and now work helping people and doctors get access to prescription meds they need.
I have won 5th honorable mentions in the contest over the last nine years. I don;t know what the record is but I feel like I am going for it. wotf009
Literary saboteur
Blog: http://www.robertmitchellevans.com/
HM X 5
SF X 3
F X 1
Current Rejection Streak: 0

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:44 am

Welcome aboard, Bob!

NNiNN

morshana

Postby morshana » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:23 am

Welcome, Bob!
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

Travesty

Postby Travesty » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:08 pm

Hello all,

First time submitting to the contest (Q1V29, I guess? If we submitted by the end of 3/2012?) and first time posting to the forums. Somewhat new to reading/following WotF as well, but I've been pleased with the stories and community, so far. :) Met Brad Torgerson at LTUE, and some other people that have submitted. Name's Travis, btw. New author, as well, just finished my first book, and subsequently finished the short story that I submitted. Gee, guess I'm new, all around. :) That probably covers introductions, I suppose. Nice to meet you all!
"If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Futurama - Zapp Brannigan

gower21

Postby gower21 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:15 pm

Travesty wrote:Hello all,

First time submitting to the contest (Q1V29, I guess? If we submitted by the end of 3/2012?) and first time posting to the forums. Somewhat new to reading/following WotF as well, but I've been pleased with the stories and community, so far. :) Met Brad Torgerson at LTUE, and some other people that have submitted. Name's Travis, btw. New author, as well, just finished my first book, and subsequently finished the short story that I submitted. Gee, guess I'm new, all around. :) That probably covers introductions, I suppose. Nice to meet you all!

Welcome Travis! In my opinion after you've written one novel you can consider yourself at least broken in. You're not totally shinny and new. Good luck! (sounds like a sub at the end of March would be Q2...it's all very confusing. Q1 entries are due at the end of December and judged right about now). Hope to see you posting more.

Also Welcome Bob! I think you might be our first drug dealer! We're covering all over the job spectrum lately. Congrats on your HM you just posted too.

And also I'm sort of behind, but welcome all the others too! (Sorry, I know that's kinda vague)

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:25 pm

Welcome aboard, Travis! So are you another of the Utah contingent? We get a lot of people from Utah here. Must be quite a writing scene there!

NNiNN

DavidK

Postby DavidK » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:37 pm

Welcome aboard Bob and Travis.

And just a thought Bob, are you related to Bob Writer on the forum?

Travesty

Postby Travesty » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:42 pm

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:Welcome aboard, Travis! So are you another of the Utah contingent? We get a lot of people from Utah here. Must be quite a writing scene there!

Lol Thank you! Sure enough, another Utah writer, though I've lived in a lot of places. I was in Brandon Sanderson's class, and have been trying my hand at writing since. There does seem to be a good writing community here (as far as I know), but I don't really have a reference point to compare it to since I don't know how it is elsewhere. Anyone attending this year's CONduit, I'll see you there :)
"If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Futurama - Zapp Brannigan

dantzel

Postby dantzel » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:39 pm

Very cool! Unfortunately I didn't find out about CONduit, LTUE, and the other conventions until I was about to move from Idaho to Texas wotf012 I didn't understand a lot of stuff a few years ago. Now I still don't understand a lot of stuff, but I can talk about those things with people at conventions!

Welcome all!
Vol 29 Q3 Semi Finalist

http://www.dantzelcherry.com

bobsandiego

Postby bobsandiego » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:34 am

Davidk
As far as I know I have no relations on this forum, or writing at all.
Literary saboteur
Blog: http://www.robertmitchellevans.com/
HM X 5
SF X 3
F X 1
Current Rejection Streak: 0

Helen Jackson

Postby Helen Jackson » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:14 am

Hello fellow newbies!

Travis, I'm glad to see it's not just me that finds the quarter system confusing! It's good Tina, Martin and co. are here to straighten us out.

By the way, Spider Robinson is an author I've heard of but never read. Would anyone care to recommend which of his books would make a good starting place?

Martin, are your drunken fencers the sort that wield rapiers or the sort that build picket fences? I can't decide which would be most dangerous when combined with alcohol...
wotf011
http://www.helen-jackson.com
V29. Q2: Silver HM; Q3: R; Q4: R
V30. Q1: HM; Q2: R; Q3: R
V31. Q1: Semi-finalist; Q2: R; Q4: HM

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:22 am

Helen Jackson wrote:Hello fellow newbies!

Travis, I'm glad to see it's not just me that finds the quarter system confusing! It's good Tina, Martin and co. are here to straighten us out.

By the way, Spider Robinson is an author I've heard of but never read. Would anyone care to recommend which of his books would make a good starting place?

Martin, are your drunken fencers the sort that wield rapiers or the sort that build picket fences? I can't decide which would be most dangerous when combined with alcohol...
wotf011

Helen,

Spider Robinson's "signature" work is his Callahan's series: Callahan's Cross-Time Saloon, Time Travelers Strictly Cash, Callahan's Secret, The Callahan Touch, Callahan's Legacy, Callahan's Key, and Callahan's Con (plus the tie-ins, Callahan's Lady and Lady Slings the Booze). They're about a bunch of drunken barflies who save the world. And each other.

But my favorite Robinson has not yet been released on Kindle, more's the pity: Mindkiller. It's about a college professor and a burglar who unwittingly collaborate (though at different time periods) to bring down a secret mind-control conspiracy.

My drunken fencers are definitely more the rapier-wielding sort, though we're more likely to use foils and epees. We mostly keep the rapiers on the walls.

Mostly.

NNiNN

Helen Jackson

Postby Helen Jackson » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:51 pm

Callahan's Cross-Time Saloon it is!

It doesn't look as if it's in print in the UK... which is where I'm really lucky to have a local SFF bookshop that stocks (and will order) US imports. That failing, it's available for Kindle.
http://www.helen-jackson.com
V29. Q2: Silver HM; Q3: R; Q4: R
V30. Q1: HM; Q2: R; Q3: R
V31. Q1: Semi-finalist; Q2: R; Q4: HM

AftertheFall

Postby AftertheFall » Mon May 14, 2012 5:37 pm

Hello all,
The gift of the word whether it is written or spoken is not something I have ever been truly blessed with, nor has the gift of grammar. Despite my lack of the skill set I still feel as if I must produce this universe that I have had bubbling in my head for this past year. While I recognize that I may never reach the prestige as the writers on this forum there are some things that must be done. 164 governments about 542 factions and only one person to give them a voice and it might as well be through here. Have my work set out for me :D

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Mon May 14, 2012 5:59 pm

Welcome aboard, AfterTheFall! Just remember: the secret to eating an elephant is small bites, one at a time. Tackle your giant universe in small bits, and you'll gain practice to tell the bigger stories. It's a very natural process.

NNiNN

WriteToLive

Postby WriteToLive » Mon May 14, 2012 9:05 pm

Hello fellow writers.

Afterthefall, remember, follow Martin's signature. Write, Submit, Repeat, Patience.

A good way to fill your waiting time is by writing more.
Michael Beers
Blog: Write To Live
Latest Out: Detroit Ex Nihilo at AESciFi
Now Available: Zion in For All Eternity: Tales of the Seven Deadly Sins (Dark Opus Press)

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”