NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
T. Thulander

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby T. Thulander » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:52 am

Hello All, My name is Triss Thulander and I submitted my first story for the fourth quarter in 2012. I have never really allowed anyone else to see my work until now, so I’m aware that the chance of winning are so very low that they don’t need mentioning. I’m feeling a little more confident since my first submission is out there. I think that I’m ready for feedback from people who have been doing this for much longer than me.
T. Thulander
vl 29, Q4 submited

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:25 am

Welcome aboard, Triss! There are plenty of us willing to share feedback. You can also trade critiques at Critters, OWW, and Universe Annex, if you haven't found those.
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

Kary English

Postby Kary English » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:03 pm

Hi, Tris!

Welcome to our happy little corner of the internet. :)

There's a wealth of camaraderie and information here. A lot of the former happens in the Jibber Jabber threads, while the latter can be found throughout, but concentrated in the Writing sub-forum.

Cheers!

Kary
WOTF: 1 HM, 1 Semi, 2 Finalists, 1 Winner
Q2,V31 - Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!
Flight of the Kikayon at the Grantville Gazette
Totaled (revised HM) in issue #9 of Mike Resnick's Galaxy's Edge
Departure Gate 34B at DSF

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:52 pm

T. Thulander wrote:Hello All, My name is Triss Thulander and I submitted my first story for the fourth quarter in 2012. I have never really allowed anyone else to see my work until now, so I’m aware that the chance of winning are so very low that they don’t need mentioning. I’m feeling a little more confident since my first submission is out there. I think that I’m ready for feedback from people who have been doing this for much longer than me.

Well, be welcome Triss.

As you probably know by now this is a friendly place for writers...some might even say a save place.

But Good Going there with submitting your work. One pro writer likes to say that you have just done something most people don't--fulfill a dream and goal.

As to being ready for feedback, I think most people if not all, here have been through that too so you are in good company. wotf007
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

Deborah Wolf

Postby Deborah Wolf » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:08 pm

Hi!

My name is Deborah Wolf. I'm a US Army veteran and now the mother of a soldier (HOOAH!), grad student (mostly so I can live on student loans while I finish my book, shhhhh), and dyed-in-the-wool cloak fantasy geek. I've been getting sent to the principal's office since I was in Kindergarten because of my stories, and I'm not about to stop now.
Don't mess with fantasy writers; we know whether human is white meat or red, and sweeten our coffee with tears.

Kary English

Postby Kary English » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:16 pm

Hi, Deborah, and welcome. wotf009

bobsandiego

Postby bobsandiego » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:31 pm

Deborah Wolf wrote:Hi!

My name is Deborah Wolf. I'm a US Army veteran and now the mother of a soldier (HOOAH!), grad student (mostly so I can live on student loans while I finish my book, shhhhh), and dyed-in-the-wool cloak fantasy geek. I've been getting sent to the principal's office since I was in Kindergarten because of my stories, and I'm not about to stop now.

Hi Deborah! Welcome to Neurosis Central, I'm be the Docent. wotf019
Literary saboteur
Blog: http://www.robertmitchellevans.com/
HM X 5
SF X 3
F X 1
Current Rejection Streak: 0

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:48 pm

Welcome aboard, Deborah! Do watch your step. I heard a rumor there's a Tyrannosaurus around; but I find it's too dark to see him.

NNiNN

AMcCarter

Postby AMcCarter » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:29 pm

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:Welcome aboard, Deborah! Do watch your step. I heard a rumor there's a Tyrannosaurus around; but I find it's too dark to see him.

*sings* A tyrannosaurus rex ate our lawyer. I guess they aren't all that baaaaaaaaad.
Amanda McCarter

Amanda McCarter’s Blog

Honorable Mentions x5
Silver Honorable Mention x1
Semi-Finalist x1

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:58 pm

Deborah Wolf wrote:Hi!

Well hello.

First of all, thank you for your service and the service of your son.

Second of all, is your wool cloak white on the outside and purple inside?

Third of all, this is a great place to learn about writing and follow-shipping with fellow writers.

Fourth of all, why are you being sent to the principal's office now????? Seems like that would get tidiest after a while.

wotf019

And as you look around be careful...there are (Looks around to see that we are alone, whispers) smart alecks here as well as a Gator who likes to wonder around and talk in green as well a guy with the first name of Evil. No relationship to that English lady who wants to skin dotted puppies...or is he?
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

bremen30

Postby bremen30 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:23 pm

Hi I'm Bremen,

it's been 30 days since i had my last drink, oh wait, wrong forum sorry...Hmmm I've only submitted something once, last summer, was soundly rejected and now I figure it's time to give it another try! So I'll see whats what I suppose (and who's who, where, why and while I'm at it) and browse the forum.

Hi Peeps!

wotf001

austinDm

Postby austinDm » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:54 pm

Hi Bremen! Welcome to the forum!

There are lots of friendly people here, so I'm sure you'll fit right in. Rejections suck, I know, but we all get them, even the pros. Nothing to do but get back on the horse! wotf007

Have you submitted to one of the recent quarters? Head over to the Jibber Jabber threads and join in the craziness!

bremen30

Postby bremen30 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:17 pm

Hi Austin,

I haven't submitted anything to *any* of the recent quarters, my writing has been lax recently. I plan to this one though (the Oct - Jan one) :) What is "Jibber Jabber" exactly?

Edit:

Ah I see, people talking about the latest quarter. Neat wotf022

Kary English

Postby Kary English » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:28 pm

Hi, Bremen!

You can pick up your 30 day token from... Oops, wrong forum. :)

Yeah, Jibber Jabber is where most of us talk about the quarter in progress, marshmallows, 80s music, rejectomancy, lengthomancy, Duotropery, frippery, philately, and many other less relevant topics. :D

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:36 pm

Welcome aboard, Bremen! Don't sweat the rejections, we've all been there and will be again. Never give up, never surrender!

NNiNN

bremen30

Postby bremen30 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:51 pm

Hi Kary, Martin,

Martin: Yeah it shouldn't be a big deal I guess, I don't have the thick tortoise like shell for it... yet. Guess you gotta develop one layer at a time eh? wotf001

Kary: If I don't get a 30 day token for not drinking, do I get one here for having written say 30 days in a row? lol
I do enjoy marshmallows and 80s music so I'll give it a shot, well, when I actually have something somewhat relevant to say anyways.

gower21

Postby gower21 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:17 pm

Welcome Bremen! No worries on the rejections from mags or from the contest. Even forum member's who've published still get them. Bummer, but true. But if I get ten more for my quota for the month I hear we'll win a toaster oven!

Also welcome Deborah Wolf! I saw you post some awesome stuff in the crit forum and I'm excited to see you back. Hope you stick around!

Welcome Triss. Good luck on your first entry! And feedback is always good, sometimes you find out your not as far off from winning as you thought you were.

bremen30

Postby bremen30 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:31 pm

Welcome Bremen! No worries on the rejections from mags or from the contest. Even forum member's who've published still get them. Bummer, but true. But if I get ten more for my quota for the month I hear we'll win a toaster oven!

Toast is awesome!

septimiuss

Postby septimiuss » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:05 am

I just can’t help stepping into the light. While waiting for results on my Q3 entry, I’ve been reading your posts from the shadows, and decided to join.
Fear not. It’s just me, your friendly neighborhood self-taught-scholar and adventurer (read bartender). My name is septimius, I’m 24, I recently gave up on the novel supposed to make me famous every next year, and decided to try my hand in the contest, check my level of writing. I’m very arrogant about my writing, but I do make room for the possibility that it might all just be in my head. There’s always the possibility that my very English is nowhere above the level of average-eastern-european-without- an-education, which is in fact what I am.
Now I’m in the open. So, this is how the light looks like. It burns my skin a bit, but what ease to step among fellow writers

P.S. Now that I’m here I have to share this with someone: I just saw Prometheus, and I think it was great

bobsandiego

Postby bobsandiego » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:15 am

septimiuss wrote:I just can’t help stepping into the light. While waiting for results on my Q3 entry, I’ve been reading your posts from the shadows, and decided to join.
Fear not. It’s just me, your friendly neighborhood self-taught-scholar and adventurer (read bartender). My name is septimius, I’m 24, I recently gave up on the novel supposed to make me famous every next year, and decided to try my hand in the contest, check my level of writing. I’m very arrogant about my writing, but I do make room for the possibility that it might all just be in my head. There’s always the possibility that my very English is nowhere above the level of average-eastern-european-without- an-education, which is in fact what I am.
Now I’m in the open. So, this is how the light looks like. It burns my skin a bit, but what ease to step among fellow writers

P.S. Now that I’m here I have to share this with someone: I just saw Prometheus, and I think it was great

Some good sunscreen will protect that skin of yours, as far as Prometheus goes well you're new and I don;t wanna start a fight live and let live.
Welcome to the forum! wotf010
Literary saboteur
Blog: http://www.robertmitchellevans.com/
HM X 5
SF X 3
F X 1
Current Rejection Streak: 0

AMcCarter

Postby AMcCarter » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:07 am

Welcome Septimiuss!
Amanda McCarter

Amanda McCarter’s Blog

Honorable Mentions x5
Silver Honorable Mention x1
Semi-Finalist x1

george nik.

Postby george nik. » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:37 am

Welcome aboard, Septimius(s)!

Where about in Eastern Europe do you come from?
George Nikolopoulos
WOTF: 1 SF, 1 SHM, 4 HM
Fiction (EN): 43 stories sold, 29 published
Fiction (GR): c.10 stories published & a children’s novel
Amazon Page

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:24 am

Welcome aboard, septimius! Often we find that arrogance is a natural counter balance to nagging self doubt. And oh, writing is FULL of nagging self doubt. So a little arrogance can be a good thing, as long as you're polite about it! wotf013

NNiNN

gower21

Postby gower21 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:18 am

septimiuss wrote:I just can’t help stepping into the light. While waiting for results on my Q3 entry, I’ve been reading your posts from the shadows, and decided to join.

I vote this best coming-out post of the day.

"Mommy can we keep him?" The voice in my head says.

Welcome aboard. We are always in need of someone who knows how to mix a good drink.

septimiuss

Postby septimiuss » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:07 am

Thank you all for the wonderful welcome. I don’t know if you guys posting daily on the forum know how much good these fast and friendly replies do a shy newcomer. You make me feel like I finally found a place I belong. There’s not enough words in my English vocabulary to express my gratitude for this. Goodbye cold shadows in which I dwelt so long, I’m an active part of the forum now, you can’t touch me anymore.

@George Nik. I’m from Romania, more exactly that northern part they call Transylvania (hu-hu!), but I’ve been living in Germany for almost two years now. I have to extend a special thanks to you, George. If I wouldn’t have stumbled onto your posts I would probably never have ventured to come out, you know not being a native English speaker and all.
If it weren’t for you I’d still be on hovering mode. Somewhere inside a closet. And gagged.

Deborah Wolf

Postby Deborah Wolf » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:01 pm

LDWriter2 wrote:
Deborah Wolf wrote:Well hello.

First of all, thank you for your service and the service of your son.

Second of all, is your wool cloak white on the outside and purple inside?

Third of all, this is a great place to learn about writing and follow-shipping with fellow writers.

Fourth of all, why are you being sent to the principal's office now????? Seems like that would get tidiest after a while.

wotf019

And as you look around be careful...there are (Looks around to see that we are alone, whispers) smart alecks here as well as a Gator who likes to wonder around and talk in green as well a guy with the first name of Evil. No relationship to that English lady who wants to skin dotted puppies...or is he?

First of all, you're welcome. It was an honor and a privilege to serve (plus, the beer was cheap, the dating pool was excellent, and I got to learn Arabic).
Second, my cloak is a deep green wool lined with black fox fur (yes, the very same black fox Robert Service wrote about). It is cleverly disguised as a ratty old barn coat.
Third, I love my fellow writers.
Fourth, because I am naughty. I can't tell you the darlings I had to murder in order to make my WotF submission PG-13. I hope.
As for Evil...I was military intelligence. I put the Hahahahaha in MuHahahahahaha.

Cheers!
Don't mess with fantasy writers; we know whether human is white meat or red, and sweeten our coffee with tears.

morshana

Postby morshana » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:44 pm

Welcome, Triss, Deborah, Bremen, Septimiuss, and anyone else I may have missed! Pleased to have you all aboard! wotf007

Looking forward to waiting in the trenches with you all. Plenty of marshmallow shooters for everyone. Just watch out, they can jam sometimes. And, no matter how tempting it is, don't put your mouth on the barrel. Not a pretty sight. Kary loves those tequila shots. I'm looking forward to a margarita!
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

george nik.

Postby george nik. » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:35 pm

septimiuss wrote:Thank you all for the wonderful welcome. I don’t know if you guys posting daily on the forum know how much good these fast and friendly replies do a shy newcomer. You make me feel like I finally found a place I belong. There’s not enough words in my English vocabulary to express my gratitude for this. Goodbye cold shadows in which I dwelt so long, I’m an active part of the forum now, you can’t touch me anymore.

@George Nik. I’m from Romania, more exactly that northern part they call Transylvania (hu-hu!), but I’ve been living in Germany for almost two years now. I have to extend a special thanks to you, George. If I wouldn’t have stumbled onto your posts I would probably never have ventured to come out, you know not being a native English speaker and all.
If it weren’t for you I’d still be on hovering mode. Somewhere inside a closet. And gagged.

I'm glad I helped, then! It's not nice being inside a closet. Gagged, especially.

I had suspected you were from Romania, from the Latin name. I've met a few Romanians, though I've never been there. I've traveled to Hungary once, which is as close to Transylvania as I've ever been.

I should probably leave the native speakers to comment about it, but your English seems quite impressive to me. I don't know how it goes in Romania, but the average-Greek-without-an-education might possibly be able to write his name in English. I doubt that the average Greek teacher of English is able to write fluently. Judging from your posts, you seem to have the hang of it.
George Nikolopoulos
WOTF: 1 SF, 1 SHM, 4 HM
Fiction (EN): 43 stories sold, 29 published
Fiction (GR): c.10 stories published & a children’s novel
Amazon Page

T. Thulander

Postby T. Thulander » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:25 pm

Septimiuss,
I can't see any huge flaws in your English. I am currently enrolled in an online Bacholors program. Trust me when I say there are so many people born and raised with English as a first language who can not write with any amount of clarity. Just from reading your few posts I can say you seem to be doing good.
You have been "watching from the shadows", well I haven't even been willing to open my eyes until recently. Now that I am aware that there are places like this where I can talk to other writers I don't think that I will close them again.
Triss
T. Thulander
vl 29, Q4 submited

Jeff Bowles

Postby Jeff Bowles » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:53 am

Hurray! It's the most boringest user name ever!

Hello! My name is in fact Jeff Bowles, and while this is my first post here, I have actually been following the forum as a super-secret spy for quite some time. I call myself Darth Bowles on the only other forum I frequent, Baen's Bar, but I figure if I ever actually do manage to see my name on the cover of the old WotF, nobody'll actually let me keep the "Darth" part, so...

I've been writing and subbing to the contest off and on for a few years now. Not much to show for it besides a couple of HMs. Hope to change that soon (don't we all?) I am subbed for both Q3 and Q4, and I just got finished with a possible sub for Q1. I've been writing seriously for about five years now, but again, not too much to show for it besides a few modest pub credits.

This is odd for me, introducing myself like this. I've been reading you guys for so many months now I already feel like I know you. Oh, and if that thought tends to creep you out just a bit, don't worry, I'm a perfectly normal guy...honestly...seriously...no, really, I am...

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”