NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
morshana
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:37 pm
Location: California

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby morshana » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:29 pm

pssst! Andrea. Don't - tell - Stewart - where you live. wotf011

(I'm from California, too, btw!)
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

Kary English
Posts: 2079
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:20 am

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby Kary English » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:34 am

HI, Andrea!

Fellow Cali girl here. Re: IOTF - have you checked with Joni about your eligibility? Think how fantastic it would be to find out that those images don't count for whatever reason. :)

Cheers,

Kary
WOTF: 1 HM, 1 Semi, 2 Finalists, 1 Winner
Q2,V31 - Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!
Flight of the Kikayon at the Grantville Gazette
Totaled (revised HM) in issue #9 of Mike Resnick's Galaxy's Edge
Departure Gate 34B at DSF

User avatar
s_c_baker
Posts: 3019
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:32 am
Location: Head, inside of
Contact:

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby s_c_baker » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:46 am

Kary English wrote:HI, Andrea!

Fellow Cali girl here. Re: IOTF - have you checked with Joni about your eligibility? Think how fantastic it would be to find out that those images don't count for whatever reason. :)

Cheers,

Kary

Good question! Never hurts to check.
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

User avatar
Xyzo
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:04 am
Location: Czech Republic
Contact:

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby Xyzo » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:27 am

Hello!

So finally I registered. It was a tough thing to do though, I almost didn't make it past the robot verification (it asked me about Star Wars/Star Trek characters... I suck at ST stuff, I wanted to watch the newest movie at least, but never got to that) wotf008

I had a good thing to say just a few moments ago, but now that I finally got here, I forgot it. Oh well...

So the usual. I'm from a tiny country in the middle of Europe. Czech Republic it is called. But I hope to move westward one day because the land is inhospitable and there are too many carnivorous monsters for my taste. Don't take me for a representative sample of our alien race though, I don't drink beer all day long as the legends say. wotf007
http://petrjanecka.blogspot.com - my writing blog (not very representative anyway)

User avatar
dantzel
Posts: 681
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:28 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby dantzel » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:51 am

Welcome Xyzo! And good luck on your next entry! It's the only way to make it! wotf008
Vol 29 Q3 Semi Finalist

http://www.dantzelcherry.com

morshana
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:37 pm
Location: California

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby morshana » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:12 am

Welcome, Xyzo!
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

User avatar
AndreaGS
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:33 pm

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby AndreaGS » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:54 pm

Welcome, Xyzo!! wotf007

LDWriter2
Posts: 3434
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 8:59 pm
Location: Central Cailf.
Contact:

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:17 pm

I'm really late here so Late late welcome to Jeff, Andrea Adam, and Xyzo.


Did I say hi to you Jeff already seems like I did.


In either case Hey, Nice to meet you all, this here is a right nice place to learn, fellowship and even in some cases rant over writing.


Xyzo That names sounds S Warish and even though I know something about Star Trek I almost missed that question also.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

austinDm
Posts: 1123
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:24 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby austinDm » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:07 am

LDWriter2 wrote:Xyzo That names sounds S Warish and even though I know something about Star Trek I almost missed that question also.


It probably just shows how long ago I signed up for the forum, but I don't recall having to answer a Star Trek question to prove I wasn't a spambot. It's good to see Brad is keeping security tight. wotf009

And welcome to all the new members! This is a great community to be a part of if you're serious about learning the fine points of this writing business.

User avatar
Xyzo
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:04 am
Location: Czech Republic
Contact:

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby Xyzo » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:34 am

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone wotf008
http://petrjanecka.blogspot.com - my writing blog (not very representative anyway)

User avatar
bobsandiego
Posts: 1225
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:27 pm
Location: SAN DIEGO CA USA
Contact:

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby bobsandiego » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:35 am

I'm late to the party, but welcome to all new memebrs from all over the world!
wotf009
Literary saboteur
Blog: http://www.robertmitchellevans.com/
HM X 5
SF X 3
F X 1
Current Rejection Streak: 0

User avatar
s_c_baker
Posts: 3019
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:32 am
Location: Head, inside of
Contact:

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby s_c_baker » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:16 pm

Xyzo wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome everyone wotf008

Welcome, Xyzo! wotf007

Always glad to see people from outside the US-and-UK! wotf007
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

User avatar
Xyzo
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:04 am
Location: Czech Republic
Contact:

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby Xyzo » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:47 pm

s_c_baker wrote:Always glad to see people from outside the US-and-UK! wotf007


Thanks. Actually, I'm surprised that more people like me didn't find their way here. The chances of succeeding on the field of speculative fiction particularly in Czech Republic are slim to none (or maybe I'm just blind somehow and can't realize it).

Anyway, it's amazing to find such a friendly community here wotf008
http://petrjanecka.blogspot.com - my writing blog (not very representative anyway)

User avatar
MJNL
Posts: 1450
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:08 pm
Location: Arkansas
Contact:

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby MJNL » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:01 pm

Hi Xyzo! Glad to have you with us.

I've been to Prague--It's gorgeous! Hope to go back to the Czech Republic one day.
~Marina

WotF Winner Q1 2012 (Vol. 29)

WotF Finalist Q2 2010 (Vol. 27)
WotF Finalist Q4 2011 (Vol. 28)
http://lostetter.wordpress.com/
http://twitter.com/#!/MarinaLostetter

User avatar
s_c_baker
Posts: 3019
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:32 am
Location: Head, inside of
Contact:

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby s_c_baker » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:41 pm

Xyzo wrote:
s_c_baker wrote:Always glad to see people from outside the US-and-UK! wotf007


Thanks. Actually, I'm surprised that more people like me didn't find their way here. The chances of succeeding on the field of speculative fiction particularly in Czech Republic are slim to none (or maybe I'm just blind somehow and can't realize it).

Anyway, it's amazing to find such a friendly community here wotf008

But you've got Čapek!!! wotf003
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

User avatar
Xyzo
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:04 am
Location: Czech Republic
Contact:

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby Xyzo » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:25 am

MJNL wrote:Hi Xyzo! Glad to have you with us.

I've been to Prague--It's gorgeous! Hope to go back to the Czech Republic one day.

Glad you liked it here wotf008

Though personally, I tend to get lost in big cities, having been brought up in suburban parts of a quiet and relatively small city wotf007

s_c_baker wrote:But you've got Čapek!!! wotf003

Yes, a great author... shamefully, schools are possibly the only things that keep him in our memories. Nowadays it's mostly about some Viewegh guy that basically writes... umm, don't even know what category his stories fall under... far from being sf/f though (some love story here, some life reflection of an average person there).
http://petrjanecka.blogspot.com - my writing blog (not very representative anyway)

User avatar
Helen Jackson
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:13 am
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby Helen Jackson » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:28 am

Welcome and good luck to all the new users (far too many to list since the last time I checked in here!).

I'm ashamed to say I'd never heard of Čapek **hangs head** but a quick google has fixed that. He (with his brother) invented the word "robot"? That's amazing. I've added Rossum's Universal Robots and War with the Newts to my wishlist.

Thanks Stewart and Xyzo for pointing me towards something new to read!
http://www.helen-jackson.com
V29. Q2: Silver HM; Q3: R; Q4: R
V30. Q1: HM; Q2: R; Q3: R
V31. Q1: Semi-finalist; Q2: R; Q4: HM

george nik.
Posts: 824
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:10 pm
Location: Athens, Greece
Contact:

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby george nik. » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:47 am

Xyzo wrote:
MJNL wrote:Hi Xyzo! Glad to have you with us.

I've been to Prague--It's gorgeous! Hope to go back to the Czech Republic one day.

Glad you liked it here wotf008

Though personally, I tend to get lost in big cities, having been brought up in suburban parts of a quiet and relatively small city wotf007

s_c_baker wrote:But you've got Čapek!!! wotf003

Yes, a great author... shamefully, schools are possibly the only things that keep him in our memories. Nowadays it's mostly about some Viewegh guy that basically writes... umm, don't even know what category his stories fall under... far from being sf/f though (some love story here, some life reflection of an average person there).



I love Prague. One of the nicest cities I've ever visited.

You've also got Kafka (though he wrote in German). I consider him one of the greatest pioneers of speculative fiction.
George Nikolopoulos
WOTF: 1 SF, 1 SHM, 4 HM
Fiction (EN): 43 stories sold, 29 published
Fiction (GR): c.10 stories published & a children’s novel
Amazon Page

User avatar
Xyzo
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:04 am
Location: Czech Republic
Contact:

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby Xyzo » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:25 pm

george nik. wrote:I love Prague. One of the nicest cities I've ever visited.

You've also got Kafka (though he wrote in German). I consider him one of the greatest pioneers of speculative fiction.


Yep, Kafka's work is outstanding. Unfortunately, he and Capek are no longer here to share their literary genius, so it feels a little bit lonely in here.

Helen Jackson wrote:Welcome and good luck to all the new users (far too many to list since the last time I checked in here!).

I'm ashamed to say I'd never heard of Čapek **hangs head** but a quick google has fixed that. He (with his brother) invented the word "robot"? That's amazing. I've added Rossum's Universal Robots and War with the Newts to my wishlist.

Thanks Stewart and Xyzo for pointing me towards something new to read!


People here are particularly proud about that invention. I remember hearing the magical formula back when I was in elementary school quite a number of times. We Czechs are truly proud of Capek (though only when we remember, I'm afraid wotf007 ). What I find quite tragic about him is the way he died. Back in 1938 during the rising threat of war, Germany annexed us. They had lots of plans concerning our country (getting rid of people mostly... Capek was on top of their list) and the future certainly didn't look bright for us. Yet he succumbed to illness that year when the shadow was cast over our land. It's quite disturbing to imagine... dying with the knowledge that my beloved country has fallen. Quite a theme for a story.
http://petrjanecka.blogspot.com - my writing blog (not very representative anyway)

User avatar
C J Jessop
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby C J Jessop » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:04 pm

Hello, I'm new too.

My name is Cheryl, I'm an Englishwoman living in Ohio. I write fantasy and science fiction, have written a novel, working on the sequel and my only published stories were in non-paying indie zines years ago (none of which are not around any more). So I'm guessing that makes me an amateur still :)

Not much else to tell really. I've never entered before, and am working on an entry for Q4.

morshana
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:37 pm
Location: California

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby morshana » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:05 pm

Welcome, Cheryl!

Do you mean Q1, due by the end of December?
Last edited by morshana on Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

User avatar
s_c_baker
Posts: 3019
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:32 am
Location: Head, inside of
Contact:

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby s_c_baker » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:48 pm

C J Jessop wrote:Hello, I'm new too.

My name is Cheryl, I'm an Englishwoman living in Ohio. I write fantasy and science fiction, have written a novel, working on the sequel and my only published stories were in non-paying indie zines years ago (none of which are not around any more). So I'm guessing that makes me an amateur still :)

Not much else to tell really. I've never entered before, and am working on an entry for Q4.


Cheryl!!!!!! wotf006

Great to see you over here. WotF's been a big help in forcing me to produce. Looking forward to seeing your Q4 entry. As per that nameless other place, there's a critique forum here (though it's nowhere near as involved). Sharing the first 450 words is a great way to get a feel for the contest's particular idiosyncrasies, I think, if you've never submitted before.)
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

morshana
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:37 pm
Location: California

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby morshana » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:19 pm

s_c_baker wrote:
C J Jessop wrote:Hello, I'm new too.

My name is Cheryl, I'm an Englishwoman living in Ohio. I write fantasy and science fiction, have written a novel, working on the sequel and my only published stories were in non-paying indie zines years ago (none of which are not around any more). So I'm guessing that makes me an amateur still :)

Not much else to tell really. I've never entered before, and am working on an entry for Q4.


Cheryl!!!!!! wotf006

Great to see you over here. WotF's been a big help in forcing me to produce. Looking forward to seeing your Q4 entry. As per that nameless other place, there's a critique forum here (though it's nowhere near as involved). Sharing the first 450 words is a great way to get a feel for the contest's particular idiosyncrasies, I think, if you've never submitted before.)


I'm confused...Q4 was just judged.
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

User avatar
gower21
Posts: 2008
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:06 pm
Contact:

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby gower21 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:26 pm

(shhh! Stewart still doesn't understand the quarter system. We can point and laugh at him later).

WELCOME CHERYL AND XYZO AND ADELINE! <------hung you a welcome banner. Hope to see you both around the forum.
Last edited by gower21 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
s_c_baker
Posts: 3019
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:32 am
Location: Head, inside of
Contact:

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby s_c_baker » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:27 pm

No no, Jeanette.

This is the new Friday-that-used-to-be-Thursday world where the forum is all Schroedinger's Caty, remember? wotf001


(Uhh, yeah. You're right. Q1's the upcoming quarter. Confusing because it's the one with a submission deadline at the end of the year.)
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

Adeline Gale
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:29 pm

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby Adeline Gale » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:09 pm

So, I heard of this contest about two years ago but was too chicken to do anything about it. Had some ideas but could never get to finishing them. Finished other stories but not them, because then I'd have to submit them, right. Well, now I'm a bit more determined. I've been busy with other things, but now my schedule has cleared a little and hopefully I'll get to finishing my story and submitting for one of these upcoming quarters.

Anyway, Adeline Gale is my pen name, because I'm shy. I'm 26, two kids -- son that's four, daughter that's just about 6 months. I live in upstate New York, which is nice, but because I'm a military brat, I am dying to move as I've been in the same location for more than three years. I'm a stay at home mom, working on my senior thesis for museum studies (it's the only thing I have left to do), and I have a very strong desire to write and be published (as I imagine most here do ). Don't know what else to say, but glad to be here wotf007

User avatar
gower21
Posts: 2008
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:06 pm
Contact:

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby gower21 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:16 pm

gower21 wrote:
WELCOME CHERYL AND XYZO AND ADELINE! <------hung you a welcome banner. Hope to see you both around the forum.


I just retroactively added you to the welcome banner though my master powers of editing! Good luck in the contest and set a goal to have something in by one of the deadlines, join in on the first 450 fun if you like to get/give critiques or follow Dean W. Smith if you don't and either way you'll start improving (or teach us a thing or two).
Last edited by gower21 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

morshana
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:37 pm
Location: California

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby morshana » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:02 am

Welcome, Adeline!

Quarter system is so confusing! As are the days of the week. Can never seem to get them straight... Don't know if I'm ever going to remember Friday. I'd only just started remembering Thursday. Now that's gone.
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

User avatar
Martin L. Shoemaker
Posts: 4287
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:20 am
Location: Michigan (more or less)
Contact:

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:56 am

Welcome aboard, Adeline! And a very belated welcome to Xyzo and Cheryl! I've been away from the forum, so I slipped up on my usual welcomes. My apologies.
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

austinDm
Posts: 1123
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:24 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby austinDm » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:24 am

Welcome Cheryl and Adeline! Good luck with your entries.

gower21 wrote:
gower21 wrote:
WELCOME CHERYL AND XYZO AND ADELINE! <------hung you a welcome banner. Hope to see you both around the forum.


I just retroactively added you to the welcome banner though my master powers of editing! Good luck in the contest and set a goal to have something in my one of the deadlines, join in on the first 450 fun if you like to get/give critiques or follow Dean W. Smith if you don't and either way you'll start improving (or teach us a thing or two).


I'll admit, I got really confused when I saw this post the first time. Who's Adeline and why are three people "both?" Obviously, two of them are the same person, but which two? *cue Twilight Zone theme*


Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests