NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Tom.S

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby Tom.S » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:25 am

Thanks everyone and thanks for the compliment bradley! wotf008

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:53 am

Tom.S wrote:Thanks everyone and thanks for the compliment bradley! wotf008

I'm not sure where you got Bradley, but I've been called worse. wotf019
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

Tom.S

Postby Tom.S » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:04 pm

Ouch, sorry about that! I'm working on a tablet, not that evident to scroll to previous posts and for some reason I thought it was Bradley instead of Baker. wotf015

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:14 pm

Tom.S wrote:Ouch, sorry about that! I'm working on a tablet, not that evident to scroll to previous posts and for some reason I thought it was Bradley instead of Baker. wotf015

Aye, tablets are a beast. Mine likes to change orientation at random times, I swear it...

No worries, though! wotf008
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner

morshana

Postby morshana » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:15 pm

s_c_baker wrote:
Tom.S wrote:Ouch, sorry about that! I'm working on a tablet, not that evident to scroll to previous posts and for some reason I thought it was Bradley instead of Baker. wotf015

Aye, tablets are a beast. Mine likes to change orientation at random times, I swear it...

BRAYley would have been good.
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

alonzo11208

Postby alonzo11208 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:08 pm

Hiya all!

austinDm

Postby austinDm » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:10 pm

morshana wrote:
s_c_baker wrote:

BRAYley would have been good.

wotf019

And welcome to all the newcomers! wotf007

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:09 pm

Tamlyn wrote:Hello.

I ran out of words...

But no. Now that I've finally figured out the code in those strange jibber jabber threads and there was a nice short one to start at the start with, the forums looked a little less intimidating so I thought I'd register.

So. Um. Hi.
(Yep, still no words. I guess I used them all on my first ever entry for Q1.)

I'm a bit late here but be welcome.

You sound cool anyway so it's good you are here. wotf011
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:12 pm

Tom.S wrote:Hi everyone,

My name is Tom Schoonbaert, 37 years old and I live in Belgium (Europe). I've been writing SF and horror stories for a while now, although always in Dutch. Ever since I heard of this contest, I just wanted to try and write in English. Despite reading quite a lot of English books for over 25 years, actually writing a story in a non-native language is something else. I do want to try it, even if just once. The idea is there, now all I have to do is get it on paper and preferably in decent English wotf008

See you all around!

Be welcome and don't worry your post sounds good and all of us are trying to write in decent English...well, one or two-like Brad--seem to have it down but most of us here are still learning and a couple of us are having problems.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:56 pm

Decent English is about the only thing I do have down. wotf019

Planetary

Postby Planetary » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:19 pm

Hey gang. Like everyone else, I'm interested in the contest and plan to enter. I'm a big fan of space opera, and my favorite authors in SF are Iain M. Banks, Alastair Reynolds and Larry Niven. I also enjoy historical fiction, stuff by writers like Steven Pressfield and Steven Saylor, and I've read most of the fantasy standards, from LotR to ASOIAF and WoT.

I have a question, and I didn't think it was worth its own thread since it's probably not very common. I'm pretty sure I'm in the clear, but just to be certain -- does professional journalism disqualify me in any way from participating?

As a journalist, I am a professional writer. That's how I pay the bills. As a creative writer and fiction author, I'm a complete noob and have never been published. I just want to make sure there's no chance of getting disqualified after the fact.

Thanks

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:38 am

Hi Planetary, welcome aboard!

Non-fiction and fiction are different, so as per the contest rules you're fine.
5. The Contest is open only to those who have not professionally published a novel or short novel, or more than one novelette, or more than three short stories, in any medium. Professional publication is deemed to be payment, and at least 5,000 copies, or 5,000 hits.

(The same goes for poetry and any other form of creative writing, I imagine.) wotf008

morshana

Postby morshana » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:40 am

Welcome, Planetary!
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

austinDm

Postby austinDm » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:59 pm

Welcome, Planetary!

You're definitely okay with your journalism credits. I've published a few articles myself (though the only "bills" I've paid with that money would be my bar tab wotf001 )

We're a crazy bunch, but what else do you get when you stick a bunch of writers in a room with nothing better to do but wait for contest results and stress over rejections? wotf011

jkenton

Postby jkenton » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:25 pm

I'm J. Kenton. Self-propelled anachronism, geek of exceptional geekness, and now, it seems, "a writer." I suppose an "amateur" because while I have now actually written and submitted (which is why I say "amateur" and not "aspiring", since "aspiring" means "hopes to write" if you want to be technical.) So I await my first rejection, and hope that it's a rejection that comes with a little feedback.

(About a week after I fired off my submission I realized how clumsy some of the backstory was in terms of narrative flow, and figured out a positively brilliant way I could have trimmed this or that paragraph to that or this clever, single sentence. (This is a keyboard. Apply directly to the forehead.)

Anyway, hello all, greetings and suchlike. I look forward to sharing the angstipation of waiting for results, and waving my arms and making encouraging noises as needed.

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:51 pm

Hi, J., welcome aboard!

You sound like you'll fit in just fine here. wotf007

jkenton wrote:angstipation

New favourite word! wotf024

jkenton

Postby jkenton » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:33 pm

All part of the service. wotf009

dantzel

Postby dantzel » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:01 pm

jkenton wrote: angstipation

Sounds like a medical issue too. It's a brand new word and there's already a double meaning!

Welcome newcomers! I've been quite lazy the last few weeks with my travels, so I've fallen behind on this thread.
Vol 29 Q3 Semi Finalist

http://www.dantzelcherry.com

capt367272

Postby capt367272 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:23 pm

Hi. My name is Jim Miner, I am a 58 year old professional fire chief from buffalo ny. Finally got the time to do the writing I always wanted to do. Have submitted last three quarters. Received first rejection today. I have to say I am a bit surprised. I have read a bit of sci fi and I thought mine was very good. Anyways, good to participate in forum. Jim

gower21

Postby gower21 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:03 pm

Hey Jim!

Welcome to the board. Don't let the rejection get you down--any number of things can contribute to a rejection (including bad day for the judge, your story was too similar to a number of other entries in theme, characters, world, subject matter, a few errors in the opening paragraph...the list goes on). Stick around for a while and you'll start to figure out all the things that might be contributing to the rejections--or not--in which case we have a rant thread in the writing section of the board. Hope to see you around.

capt367272

Postby capt367272 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:47 am

Thanks for reply. I will keep at it. I submitted a story of about 1000 words that as yet I haven't received reply. Does that qualify as flash fiction?

gower21

Postby gower21 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:13 am

capt367272 wrote:Thanks for reply. I will keep at it. I submitted a story of about 1000 words that as yet I haven't received reply. Does that qualify as flash fiction?

yep, that would be flash. Flash is a hard sell in the contest, but not impossible. Dave Wolverton has been picking some short short stories along with some of the longer ones. Bottom line, length doesn't matter, but quality does. It's when your story is up against another and comes up short (sometimes to achieve a flash story you have to give up on one or more elements to make it work and although it's a good "flash" story, it may or may not be as good if all those elements were fleshed out--but it all depends on the story--so you don't know until you try). I always liked to look at my submissions as experiments or data points that I would send off to see which ones produced a reaction, so when one would come back, I knew it didn't work--I'd send it off for critique and if I got back a ton of the same type of response then I knew what to work on for the next story. Everyone's strategy is different.

capt367272

Postby capt367272 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:44 pm

Thanks for reply. I am going to write what I am inspired to write, and things that I have faith in, I hope it fits in with Writers of the Future, which I hold in very high regard. It is very generous of you to spend your time responding and helping strangers. Good luck to all. Jim

gower21

Postby gower21 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:10 pm

capt367272 wrote:Thanks for reply. I am going to write what I am inspired to write, and things that I have faith in, I hope it fits in with Writers of the Future, which I hold in very high regard. It is very generous of you to spend your time responding and helping strangers. Good luck to all. Jim

You'll do good then. And thanks for stopping by my blog--hooray, another Star Trek fan!! Hope to see you joining in on other discussions on the board.

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:29 pm

gower21 wrote:
capt367272 wrote:Thanks for reply. I am going to write what I am inspired to write, and things that I have faith in, I hope it fits in with Writers of the Future, which I hold in very high regard. It is very generous of you to spend your time responding and helping strangers. Good luck to all. Jim

You'll do good then. And thanks for stopping by my blog--hooray, another Star Trek fan!! Hope to see you joining in on other discussions on the board.

What Tina said. :)

Nice to meet you, Jim!

bobsandiego

Postby bobsandiego » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:01 am

Welcome Jim.
Literary saboteur
Blog: http://www.robertmitchellevans.com/
HM X 5
SF X 3
F X 1
Current Rejection Streak: 0

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:09 am

capt367272 wrote: Received first rejection today. I have to say I am a bit surprised. I have read a bit of sci fi and I thought mine was very good.

Hi Jim. I definitely understand this feeling. I am regularly encountering pubished material and saying to myself, "How did this stuff get published? My stuff is far better than this!"

I think that part of the problem is that when reading our own work we still have the ideas in our head that we tried to write down.

ISHMAEL'S FIRST LAW:

What I have written + The ideas in my head = Brilliant writing

The problem is that no-one else has those ideas in their heads unless you have put them there. When I couldn't get anyone even to look at, much less publish, my novel, I put it aside for several years. When I went back and read it again I was amazed to discover that a lot of crucial material had not been written down at all. It was still in my head. In addition a lot of what I had written was simply digressions that had seemed interesting when I was writing but just seemed irrelevant several years later.

I have received a lot of very valuable advice both directly on this forum and through crit exchanges. It's good to have feedback without having to wait ages in order to provide it to yourself.

ISHMAEL'S SECOND LAW:

What I have written + a little help from my friends = Brilliant writing.

Of course the second law is just a theory until such time as I either win the competition or sell some of my work!

Welcome aboard me hearty. Or should I say "Ar, Jim lad, Oi knows where there be more gold than any man in the world! Oh Ar!"
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:37 am

Ishmael wrote:I think that part of the problem is that when reading our own work we still have the ideas in our head that we tried to write down.

A very good point.

This is exactly why I've quit writing. Now I just smash my head against a blank piece of paper (or occasionally a typewriter, if I'm feeling adventurous) until the blood and grey matter coalesces on it in brilliant, lucid clarity. ... Or maybe it just looks like that due to the brain damage... wotf007

capt367272

Postby capt367272 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:50 am

Thanks for the reply is it OK if I call you Ismael? You know I recently read Moby Dick. People talk about it being a classic, brilliant, or on a pedestal. I think in a lot of it Melville is just having a lot of fun with his writing. The scenes at the inn in the beginning of the book are very funny. Anyways, your comments are right on. Wrote a novel in the early eighties. At the time I thought it was great, but when I went back to it, years later it was far from that.

Jackie B.

Postby Jackie B. » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:57 am

Welcome all! In a similar vein as the above comments, Orson Scott Card wrote once that all writers have to be crazy, because to be successful, you must believe two contradictory things at the same time: (1) that your work is genius, and (2) that your work is crap. The belief in genius lets you write on your bad days and gives you the courage to submit. The belief in crap lets you humbly ask for and accept advice, and helps you edit your work.

So I repeat...welcome!! We may all be crazy here but we never bite. Except the Gator. Watch out for her wotf001
Finalist: Q3 V29
Semi-Finalist: Q1 V30
HM x 3

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”