NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Thomner_69

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby Thomner_69 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:54 am

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:
Thomner_69 wrote:Hello everyone. My name is Claire Bogner, pen name E.M. Thomner. I'm totally new to writing and have just entered the second quarter competition of WotF. I have a long way to go in learning the craft (understatement) but I cant think of a better way to get experience. I have already started my story for the 3rd Qtr, so I'll just keep going til I get it right! Good luck to everyone that entered!!!! wotf008

Welcome aboard, Claire! And good luck!

Thanks Martin!! wotf008

austinDm

Postby austinDm » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:11 am

Welcome, Claire!

Thomner_69

Postby Thomner_69 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:53 pm

austinDm wrote:Welcome, Claire!

Hi and thank you wotf008

tmaulhardt

Postby tmaulhardt » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:59 pm

Welcome Claire!
Terry Madden: http://www.threewellsofthesea.com/
V.30 Q1 W

Thomner_69

Postby Thomner_69 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:46 pm

tmaulhardt wrote:Welcome Claire!

thank you wotf008

MeganG

Postby MeganG » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:39 pm

Looks like there's been a few new faces to the forum since I last checked...Welcome, all! I'm relatively new here myself, and have found it to be a wonderful place to chat, speculate on results, and use lots of awesome smilies!
wotf010 wotf017 wotf022

Glad to have you all here with us!
2X HM
1X Silver HM
2X Semi-Finalist

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:12 pm

Thomner_69 wrote:Hello everyone. My name is Claire Bogner, pen name E.M. Thomner. I'm totally new to writing and have just entered the second quarter competition of WotF. I have a long way to go in learning the craft (understatement) but I cant think of a better way to get experience. I have already started my story for the 3rd Qtr, so I'll just keep going til I get it right! Good luck to everyone that entered!!!! wotf008

Well, howdy-do.

Nice to have you, another rider, along on this adventure. We can use all who want to sign up.

But, just in case no one has mentioned it yet, you can also write for other markets, good practice there. wotf007
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

Thomner_69

Postby Thomner_69 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:06 am

MeganG wrote:Looks like there's been a few new faces to the forum since I last checked...Welcome, all! I'm relatively new here myself, and have found it to be a wonderful place to chat, speculate on results, and use lots of awesome smilies!
wotf010 wotf017 wotf022

Oh yeah, smilies are always fun wotf010 wotf007 Good to meet another newbie too...

Thomner_69

Postby Thomner_69 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:12 am

LDWriter2 wrote:

Well, howdy-do.

Nice to have you, another rider, along on this adventure. We can use all who want to sign up.

But, just in case no one has mentioned it yet, you can also write for other markets, good practice there. wotf007

Nice to meet you too LDwriter! And yes I do dabble in horror writing as well as sci-fi....I did find happen upon a site called Dark Markets which is a good place to find competitions and such like..I just wish a site like WotF existed for horror! Perhaps there is one and I just haven't found it yet

austinDm

Postby austinDm » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:07 am

Thomner_69 wrote:And yes I do dabble in horror writing as well as sci-fi....I did find happen upon a site called Dark Markets which is a good place to find competitions and such like..I just wish a site like WotF existed for horror! Perhaps there is one and I just haven't found it yet

The contest does take horror stories on occasion (mostly dark fantasy--for an example, I'd recommend "Bitter Dreams" in volume 24). Just stay away from the really gory stuff. Dave Farland (the coordinating judge) has made it pretty clear that's not the sort of story he's interested in.

Thomner_69

Postby Thomner_69 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:50 am

austinDm wrote:
Thomner_69 wrote:And yes I do dabble in horror writing as well as sci-fi....I did find happen upon a site called Dark Markets which is a good place to find competitions and such like..I just wish a site like WotF existed for horror! Perhaps there is one and I just haven't found it yet

The contest does take horror stories on occasion (mostly dark fantasy--for an example, I'd recommend "Bitter Dreams" in volume 24). Just stay away from the really gory stuff. Dave Farland (the coordinating judge) has made it pretty clear that's not the sort of story he's interested in.

Hi Austin
I will be sticking to strictly Sci-Fi for the competitions here for sure. I haven't mixed the two in a story yet, but its not out of the question in the future...but only if I could find a home for it.

AVDutson

Postby AVDutson » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:58 pm

Hi all,

I'm Tony Dutson and plan on writing under A.V. Dutson.

I use to write short fiction in high school and even went through the first creative writing course they offered. After that, well, I thought writing was just a hobby and needed to be tucked away in lieu of work and family.

Fast forward to 2010.

After narrowly dodging divorce, I decided I really needed to do something I enjoyed, so I registered for David Farland's Death Camp. That week changed my life and I've never looked back (Thanks Dave!).

I write predominately sci-fi and YA, but I have a strong love for fantasy/urban fantasy too. While I've been writing novel length since 2010, I've always wanted to dive back into short fiction, particularly by entering Writers of the Future. (Hat tip to Tina Smith who clued me in to the forums.)

I'm looking forward to working with the best writers in the world! (That's you guys.) wotf024
~Tony
A.V. Dutson
V31, Q2 - HM
I seem to have lost track after that.

"Literature is the most noble of professions. In fact, it is about the only one fit for a man. For my own part, there is no seducing me from the path."
~Edgar Allan Poe

Thomner_69

Postby Thomner_69 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:14 pm

Pleasure to meet you Mr Dutson wotf009 It's awesome you have written so much. I have only attempted one novel..which I have shelved for now. I decided to sharpen my teeth on some short stories first and perhaps return to it later on.

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:04 pm

Welcome aboard, Tony! We have a lot of Dave students around here. They've done well in the contest, even BEFORE he became the coordinating judge. You made a good choice there!
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

dantzel

Postby dantzel » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:19 pm

MeganG wrote:Looks like there's been a few new faces to the forum since I last checked...Welcome, all! I'm relatively new here myself, and have found it to be a wonderful place to chat, speculate on results, and use lots of awesome smilies!
wotf010 wotf017 wotf022

My favorite part about the smilies is knowing how much Martin hates them! wotf006

Welcome Claire and Tony! (and anyone else I missed!)
Vol 29 Q3 Semi Finalist

http://www.dantzelcherry.com

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:34 pm

Hi Tony, welcome! Glad you dodged it. :)

Looking forward to reading your writing and getting to know you.
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:00 pm

AVDutson wrote:Hi all,

I'm Tony Dutson and plan on writing under A.V. Dutson.

I use to write short fiction in high school and even went through the first creative writing course they offered. After that, well, I thought writing was just a hobby and needed to be tucked away in lieu of work and family.

Fast forward to 2010.

After narrowly dodging divorce, I decided I really needed to do something I enjoyed, so I registered for David Farland's Death Camp. That week changed my life and I've never looked back (Thanks Dave!).

I write predominately sci-fi and YA, but I have a strong love for fantasy/urban fantasy too. While I've been writing novel length since 2010, I've always wanted to dive back into short fiction, particularly by entering Writers of the Future. (Hat tip to Tina Smith who clued me in to the forums.)

I'm looking forward to working with the best writers in the world! (That's you guys.) wotf024

So be welcomed. Nice place here for short story writers.

And as to writing you and I are almost a good fit. I don't do much YA though.

Never been to any live workshops of any title.

But be thou warned.

There are a few--hmm--what shall I say---nuts...crazy people...lunatics here. wotf011

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

morshana

Postby morshana » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:27 am

Welcome aboard Claire and Tony!
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

aavalos

Postby aavalos » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:59 am

Hello everyone,

My name is Alejandro Avalos, I'm finishing up college at Fordham University. I'm gonna teach in the city as a New York Teaching Fellow. Just joined the forums and I'm currently waiting for the 2nd Quarter results with the measured impatience of a Chihuahua.

I've previously submit three stories, two of which faced a swift and clean death. The last went out with honorable mention for the 1st Quarter of this year.

I'm from Guadalajara, Mexico, but I've spent the last 4 years in New York, and most of my life in Florida. The ironies and artifices of Central Florida have allowed me to appreciate the more postmodern and cynical science fiction tales.

I look forward to posting in the forum and getting to know a lot of great writers.

Good luck to all of you, and I'd like to end this post with a quote by Isaac Asmiov that should remind us science fiction writers of the importance of this great genre:

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today - but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all."
-Isaac Asimov

austinDm

Postby austinDm » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:20 am

Welcome Alejandro!

It's always nice to see new faces around here (so to speak). Congrats on your recent HM and good luck with quarter 2!

Thomner_69

Postby Thomner_69 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:04 pm

Hi Alejandro and welcome to the forums!!

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:32 pm

Welcome aboard, Alejandro!

NNiNN

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:43 pm

aavalos wrote: I'm from Guadalajara, Mexico, but I've spent the last 4 years in New York, and most of my life in Florida. The ironies and artifices of Central Florida have allowed me to appreciate the more postmodern and cynical science fiction tales.

wotf019

I can only imagine...

Welcome aboard! :)
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:09 pm

aavalos wrote:Hello everyone,

My name is Alejandro Avalos, I'm finishing up college at Fordham University. I'm gonna teach in the city as a New York Teaching Fellow. Just joined the forums and I'm currently waiting for the 2nd Quarter results with the measured impatience of a Chihuahua.

I've previously submit three stories, two of which faced a swift and clean death. The last went out with honorable mention for the 1st Quarter of this year.

I'm from Guadalajara, Mexico, but I've spent the last 4 years in New York, and most of my life in Florida. The ironies and artifices of Central Florida have allowed me to appreciate the more postmodern and cynical science fiction tales.

I look forward to posting in the forum and getting to know a lot of great writers.

Good luck to all of you, and I'd like to end this post with a quote by Isaac Asmiov that should remind us science fiction writers of the importance of this great genre:

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today - but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all."
-Isaac Asimov

Howdy there. Nice to meet you,

"the measured impatience"? Sounds like a lot of us here if you read the Quarter threads,

And the great writers here are easy to spot once you read their stories or read the success thread.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

tmaulhardt

Postby tmaulhardt » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:38 am

aavalos wrote:Hello everyone,

-Isaac Asimov

Welcome. I'm new, too, and am excited to have discovered such a great group of writers.
Terry Madden: http://www.threewellsofthesea.com/
V.30 Q1 W

morshana

Postby morshana » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:25 pm

Welcome, Alejandro!
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

deeply_dreams

Postby deeply_dreams » Tue May 21, 2013 4:22 pm

Hi I'm Jessica. I'm from Ontario Canada and I just submitted my entry for Q3. This is my first time entering the contest so I'm hopeful, yet realistic about my chances haha!

bobsandiego

Postby bobsandiego » Tue May 21, 2013 4:30 pm

deeply_dreams wrote:Hi I'm Jessica. I'm from Ontario Canada and I just submitted my entry for Q3. This is my first time entering the contest so I'm hopeful, yet realistic about my chances haha!

Welcome to the machine, jessica. We're all nuts here. wotf019
I think you'll this forum a welcoming and encouraging space. It certainly has been for me.
Literary saboteur
Blog: http://www.robertmitchellevans.com/
HM X 5
SF X 3
F X 1
Current Rejection Streak: 0

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Tue May 21, 2013 4:40 pm

deeply_dreams wrote:Hi I'm Jessica. I'm from Ontario Canada and I just submitted my entry for Q3. This is my first time entering the contest so I'm hopeful, yet realistic about my chances haha!

Welcome aboard, Jessica! And good luck! First entries have done well before, so don't count yourself out!

NNiNN

austinDm

Postby austinDm » Tue May 21, 2013 6:25 pm

Welcome, Jessica! Good to have you with us.

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”