NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Stryker

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby Stryker » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:37 pm

Welcom purellian, Congradulations. It sounds as if you are on the right track. I wish you a very prosperous 2015!
Stryker

mrminority

Postby mrminority » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:28 pm

well, hi im a highschooler, i dont have a pen name so just call me minority. this seems like a neat community.

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:54 am

Welcome, folks!

KJA, nice!

And Minority, a high schooler won last year, so I say go for it!
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

HamBelt

Postby HamBelt » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:56 am

I'm new here! I received HM last quarter, which was pretty exciting since it was only my second time entering. Just sent off my story for Q1 and hoping for the best!

Elen Tel'Ithil

Postby Elen Tel'Ithil » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:30 am

Welcome, Purellian, Minority, and HamBelt!
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." - Ray Bradbury
"Write until it becomes as natural as breathing. Write until not writing makes you anxious." - Christina Katz

HM x 2
R x 2

MetalOne

Postby MetalOne » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:02 pm

Hi everyone,

This is my first time here and I suppose this info is available somewere else and I just can't find it. Anyway, I am trying to submit to the contest for the first time but it says applications are closed. I assume this is because of the holiday period.

Can someone please tell me when they would be accepting admissions again?

I've probably missed something obvious but any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Kary English

Postby Kary English » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:27 pm

Hi, MetalOne, and welcome!

The system closes at midnight PST when the deadline for each quarter ends, then it comes back up a few days later to open for the next quarter.

In this case, Q1 of Volume 32 closed at midnight on Dec. 31. I'd expect the system to be back up on Monday to start taking entries for Q2.
WOTF: 1 HM, 1 Semi, 2 Finalists, 1 Winner
Q2,V31 - Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!
Flight of the Kikayon at the Grantville Gazette
Totaled (revised HM) in issue #9 of Mike Resnick's Galaxy's Edge
Departure Gate 34B at DSF

MetalOne

Postby MetalOne » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:04 pm

Thanks Kary, I will try again on Monday or Tuesday

tmaulhardt

Postby tmaulhardt » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:19 am

Welcome all new persons! Especially mrminority. I am a high school teacher, and one of my students submitted her story for the first time this year and received an honorable mention! You're in the game!
Terry Madden: http://www.threewellsofthesea.com/
V.30 Q1 W

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:37 am

MetalOne wrote:Hi everyone,

This is my first time here and I suppose this info is available somewere else and I just can't find it. Anyway, I am trying to submit to the contest for the first time but it says applications are closed. I assume this is because of the holiday period.

Can someone please tell me when they would be accepting admissions again?

I've probably missed something obvious but any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

I just received an email from Joni that Q2 is open. Good luck!
Rebecca Birch
Finalist - 2, SF - 1, SHM - 1, HM - 18, R - 6
Words of Birch
Short Story Collection--Life Out of Harmony and Other Tales of Wonder

bthomas7

Postby bthomas7 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:02 am

Hello, my name is Ben but I usually just go by B. I'm kind of new to the boards, I have a few scattered posts, and I did enter last quarter (and this one) but it has taken me this long to say hi! It's the introvert in all of us I swear. Anyways, thought I would finally say hello. I just graduated from an MFA program and I write mostly speculative fiction, but also play around with literary or general. I have a handful of pieces published in for-the-love or token markets and I keep telling myself that 2015 is when I'm going to break into the professional ones. (Power of positive thinking right?) Cheers wotf013

dbeavers

Postby dbeavers » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:13 pm

Hi all,

My name is Dave, and I'm a first time entrant in the Q1 contest. Heard good things about WOTF from Dustin and the story I was working on seemed to fit the profile. By day I work as an energy consultant mostly on renewable energy policy and helping communities install solar on their roofs. What ever energy I have left after keeping up with my eight year old I try to invest in writing. A very supportive wife helps. Probably the most interesting thing about me is that while a senior in high school I helped some friends steal an outhouse. We stuck it on top of the bonfire wood pile that was to be lit the next night after the Home Coming football game. The principal and local police weren't amused and made us take it back before we could burn it.
Dave Beavers. R, HM, HM, HM.
It ain't the heat, it's the humility - Yogi Berra

Brydar

Postby Brydar » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:29 am

I go by Brydar or Frenchy within every forum I participate. I have been writing since I was ten and am now in my fifties! I will never submit to the Illustration portion because, simply put, I am not an artist (unless you count stick figures). I am an Air Force retiree now and teach part time. wotf009 This will be my first entry into the writing contest and you have no idea how hard it was to reduce my book from the 300+ pages to a novel of less than 60! The books I have written have yet to be published. I continue to write because it is an addiction, I cannot help myself as I achieve maximum verbosity! wotf001 I played and still play table top games like D&D, Shadowrun, etc... and manage to come up with many ideas through gaming sessions. wotf022 Guess I should stop before my intro becomes a novel in its own right.
Thank you for your patience, Brydar
Entered V32/Q2, Q3, Q4
Not long ago scientists postulated that our entire universe was quite possibly a hologram. I KNEW it; we ARE in the Matrix!

george nik.

Postby george nik. » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:55 am

Welcome Ben, Dave and Brydar!
George Nikolopoulos
WOTF: 1 SF, 1 SHM, 4 HM
Fiction (EN): 43 stories sold, 29 published
Fiction (GR): c.10 stories published & a children’s novel
Amazon Page

ttovatt

Postby ttovatt » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:46 pm

Hello all,

I'm Tamara and I'm a senior in high school still, this is my first time submitting to the contest. I don't know many other writers but for me I feel submitting to the contest for the first time is a bit nerve wracking, especially if you end up not doing well at the end of it all.

preston

Postby preston » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:08 pm

ttovatt wrote:Hello all,

I'm Tamara and I'm a senior in high school still, this is my first time submitting to the contest. I don't know many other writers but for me I feel submitting to the contest for the first time is a bit nerve wracking, especially if you end up not doing well at the end of it all.

Welcome, Tamara. How awesome that you're getting started so early. Yes, it is a bit nerve-wracking, but you finished a story and submitted, and that's the hardest part. Except for the waiting and twitching, of course. I hope you do well. Good luck!

ttovatt

Postby ttovatt » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:22 pm

preston wrote:
ttovatt wrote:Hello all,

Welcome, Tamara. How awesome that you're getting started so early. Yes, it is a bit nerve-wracking, but you finished a story and submitted, and that's the hardest part. Except for the waiting and twitching, of course. I hope you do well. Good luck!

I'm sorry, I noticed this after your reply, honestly I should have caught my wording before, I haven't submitted any writing to the contest yet, I'm actually now writing my entry still as I'm on this forum. I just wanted to fix that error since I haven't submitted just yet.

tmaulhardt

Postby tmaulhardt » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:07 am

Welcome Ben, Dave, Brydar and Tamara!
V.30 Q1 W

Dave Kilman

Postby Dave Kilman » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:43 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm Dave. I had a few things published (non-pro & non-genre) in the early 90s, but then focused on family and work for the next two decades. I started getting back into the writing side of things a few years ago and currently write a review blog for Amazing Stories Magazine. I made my first entry into WotF for Q1 - V32. I have a few stories out looking for a home and just completed my first novel (several novels worked on over the years, first time I felt the work was good enough to finish). It's probably overoptimistic, but I hope to be ineligible for WotF by the end of the year.

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:52 am

ttovatt wrote:I'm sorry, I noticed this after your reply, honestly I should have caught my wording before, I haven't submitted any writing to the contest yet, I'm actually now writing my entry still as I'm on this forum. I just wanted to fix that error since I haven't submitted just yet.

Good luck, Tamara! That first submission is hard, that's for sure. Even if you get a rejection, though, just keep on writing and submitting--here and elsewhere. What one market doesn't want might be perfect for another market, and keeping on keeping on is the only way to get anywhere with writing in my experience. wotf007

Dave Kilman wrote:It's probably overoptimistic, but I hope to be ineligible for WotF by the end of the year.

Good goal! Welcome aboard, Dave. wotf007
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

J'nae Rae

Postby J'nae Rae » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:10 pm

Hello everyone,

I entered for the first time back in November. Got my notice that my story made the first pass for QT1. wotf008

J'nae Rae Spano
HM Q1 2015, Q3 & Q4 2016.
R Q1 & Q2 2017
The Trade's On, in Issue 8 of Sci Phi Journal, November 2015
Naidin's Song: Blood Bound, published August 2016
Nine-Tenths, on Empyreome (Weekly Flash Fiction,) June 2017

wotf024

2BecomeAWriter

Postby 2BecomeAWriter » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:26 am

Hi guys,

I'm new to this site and just want to introduce myself to you all. My name is Nigel, I'm British and living in South Africa.

I'm a web designer amongst other things but want to become an author and am looking for some useful tips and ideas from you guys.

I do hope to get to know some of you.

See you around :)
My name is Nigel. I'm the creator of 2BecomeAWriter.Com sharing what works and what doesn't when learning how to become a writer.
http://www.2becomeawriter.com

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:11 am

2BecomeAWriter wrote:Hi guys,

I'm new to this site and just want to introduce myself to you all. My name is Nigel, I'm British and living in South Africa.

I'm a web designer amongst other things but want to become an author and am looking for some useful tips and ideas from you guys.

Welcome aboard, Nigel! If you can dodge the occasional Gator visit, this is the place to be!
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:56 pm

I don't say hi to new people much anymore, but noticed your post so thought I would say hi this time.

Howdy, fellow writer.

This is a good place for learning to write.

Even though you may have to watch out for the occasional visit of Gator, an eagle, Aapirate and one other.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

Brydar

Postby Brydar » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:52 am

Greetings Nigel,

I am also a newbie and I have received many replies on this forum which have been invaluable and supportive. I am sure you also will find the authors on here to be knowledgeable and helpful concerning the writing career track. Good luck in the contest.

Chris
Entered V32/Q2, Q3, Q4
Not long ago scientists postulated that our entire universe was quite possibly a hologram. I KNEW it; we ARE in the Matrix!

tmaulhardt

Postby tmaulhardt » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:22 am

Hi Dave and Nigel. Welcome to the jungle :)
V.30 Q1 W

willblathe

Postby willblathe » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:27 pm

Good morning, evening, day, or what-have-you. It's nice to make your acquaintance.

My name's Will Blathe, & I've been bitten pretty hard by the writing bug. I hope to do some proper forum participation here. I may even get something submitted this go round.

Thanks.

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:57 pm

willblathe wrote:Good morning, evening, day, or what-have-you. It's nice to make your acquaintance.

My name's Will Blathe, & I've been bitten pretty hard by the writing bug. I hope to do some proper forum participation here. I may even get something submitted this go round.

Thanks.

Welcome aboard, Will! I hope you do submit something!
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

orbivillein

Postby orbivillein » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:14 pm

Hello, W & I ot F,

Once upon a time, this is me: A villein put upon blighted times lived shy of basic subsistence -- scarce air, water, food, sustaining medicine, shelter from harsh weathering, and companionable society.

This was downtown or uptown, town outskirts, urban neighborhood, waterway, or rustic frontier.

The villein was forebear, parent, and child.

Resource poverty and custodial duty required the parent person confine the forebear person alone at the far pasture -- uphill and into fierce gales both ways -- under a wattle and daub lean-to against the night and snow, flamethower sunlight, and the forebear's earnest consumption.

The forebear starved; and deprivation lengthened the forebear's natural span.

The child person cut grasses and wove a reed mat. The parent asked, "What is that for?" "Your seat beside Forebear when I'm old enough," the child said.

And that is why I write -- because of an overactive imagination. I am an editor of the driest, stale, tedious compositions imaginable. Visualize reading and revising a thousand-and-one pages of lawyers, doctors, accountants, business persons, scholars, gossipers, illiterates, and politicians discussing the merits of a sand grain crushed by a grease-starved bearing; that's what I mostly edit for grammar discrepancies and an indebted living. It's piece work and barely survival wages.

Not for the money do I write: I write for companionable sharing -- distanced and, at times, cruel as it is.

Brydar

Postby Brydar » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:10 am

Greetings to all who have joined us. I am fairly new as well but now you are "One of us... one of us... one of us..." <Drones / chants> wotf007
Entered V32/Q2, Q3, Q4

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”