NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Ck Kemp
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:53 pm
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby Ck Kemp » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:04 am

Hi!

My pen name is Carolyn Kay. I'm a steampunk/fantasy/sci-fi author from Colorado. I have a couple of short stories in charity anthologies, and a self-pubed novella, called, "Dien-Vek" out on Amazon. I had two pro sales in the works, until both publishers went under. wotf020

I've been writing since 2012.

I entered my first story into the contest in January. Keeping my fingers crossed it does well.

User avatar
storysinger
Posts: 706
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:00 pm
Location: Pensacola

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby storysinger » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:53 am

Welcome to the forum Carolyn. Best of luck with your entry. wotf010
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

hlreinhold
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:25 am
Location: UK

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby hlreinhold » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:22 am

Hi, Carolyn! Welcome. How did you hear about the contest?
SF HM HM

User avatar
J'nae Rae
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:05 pm

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby J'nae Rae » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:03 am

Welcome Carolyn.

wotf007
HM Q1 2015, Q3 & Q4 2016.
R Q1 & Q2 2017
The Trade's On, in Issue 8 of Sci Phi Journal, November 2015
Naidin's Song: Blood Bound, published August 2016
Nine-Tenths, on Empyreome (Weekly Flash Fiction,) June 2017

wotf024

Hendershot
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:37 am

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby Hendershot » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:10 am

Hello all, I'm Chris Halprin from the Washington DC area.
I've been dabbling in the craft for a couple of years now but I'm thinking it's time to start getting serious, having been convinced by family and friends that I'm not just wasting my time.
I don't have any publications under my belt (unless you count the press at my local library. One of my short works was judged the best of 89 entries in a local short fiction contest, and printed in a slim anthology.) but hope to change that soon.
This contest seems like the next logical step toward achieving my goal and the perfect place to show off my chops. I was thrilled to find this forum and am looking forward to hearing that one piece of sage advice that will put me over the top. wotf007

RaeSnow
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:37 am
Location: Missouri, U.S.

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby RaeSnow » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:58 am

Hi everybody! I'm super new to WotF and the forum. QT 2 was my first entry and I've been lurking around the forum since I discovered the contest back in March. Actually I didn't discover the forum until after I subbed, but I was super glad when I did! You guys seem like an interesting and very welcoming bunch and I can't wait to interact with you all instead of just stalking the forum like a ghost. wotf007

I've been writing most of my life. Nothing big, just fun little stuff because I simply love writing. I love words in general. The structures, the history, all of it. I think I started writing because I loved reading so much. When I was a toddler I'd grab the junk mail and pretend to read it, making up my own stories! wotf001 My favorite genres in general are SciFi and fantasy (obviously, while else would I enter this contest? :]). I was raised on Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. I also had a super overactive imagination, I find that helps encourage a love of reading/writing.

I actually didn't find WotF on my own. I was working on a story just for kicks and sent it to a friend that happens to be a talented writer herself. She loved it so much she demanded I finish right away and started sending me links to different writing contests. (What a great friend am I right? lol) Anywho, this is the contest I settled on and I'm so glad I did! I really like the community feel this forum gives to contest entrants.

I like typing in paragraphs in case you haven't caught on. I simply cannot help myself. It's becoming a serious problem as it encourages my wordiness. wotf017 (I love emojis/smilies in case you missed that too wotf001 ) Some things can't be helped I suppose. :)

Now that I've come to the end of my introduction spiel, I must apologize for the long read! I try to keep things short, but, well, like I said above I am wordy. I look forward to getting to know everyone and having everyone get to know me. :)

Best of luck to everyone still in the running for quarter 2 (v. 34),

Rae
"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed."
- Ernest Hemingway


Vol. 34: Q2 - R

User avatar
Dustin Adams
Posts: 1512
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:47 am
Location: NY, state of
Contact:

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby Dustin Adams » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:00 pm

Howdy folks!

Several people have won on their first entry.
Ya never know! wotf013
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
8x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

vsutherland01
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:20 pm

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby vsutherland01 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:57 am

Dustin Adams wrote:Howdy folks!

Several people have won on their first entry.
Ya never know! wotf013


I wish! I am settling in for the slow climb. I gotta break through the HM barrier.
2017
Q1 - R
Q2 - R
Q3 - HM

WiseSerpent
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:25 am
Contact:

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby WiseSerpent » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:35 pm

Hello,
I'm Alexis. I've been writing for a while now, one unpublished novel and quite a few short stories. I'm also a middle school science teacher and a classical musician (violin, viola, and now Medieval rebec). I've written a couple of non-fiction articles for Renaissance Magazine, and I've had a couple stories excepted by non-pro magazines. My first submission to WOTF was April of 2017, so is that Q3?'
I honestly just found out about the forums. I submitted to WOTF because one of the people in my writing group suggested I send something in, but I'm excited to find a whole writing community here!

User avatar
Rebecca Birch
Posts: 1721
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:38 am
Location: Washington (state)
Contact:

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby Rebecca Birch » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:42 pm

WiseSerpent wrote:Hello,
I'm Alexis. I've been writing for a while now, one unpublished novel and quite a few short stories. I'm also a middle school science teacher and a classical musician (violin, viola, and now Medieval rebec). I've written a couple of non-fiction articles for Renaissance Magazine, and I've had a couple stories excepted by non-pro magazines. My first submission to WOTF was April of 2017, so is that Q3?'
I honestly just found out about the forums. I submitted to WOTF because one of the people in my writing group suggested I send something in, but I'm excited to find a whole writing community here!


Another person who plays rebec! It's been a long time since I did. I was a part of a medieval trio for sixteen years and played many instruments a little bit, but none except recorder well. Mostly I was the singer.

Welcome and good luck!
Rebecca Birch
Finalist - 2, SF - 1, SHM - 1, HM - 15, R - 6
Words of Birch
Short Story Collection--Life Out of Harmony and Other Tales of Wonder

KathiLS
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:19 am
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby KathiLS » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:01 am

Hullo to all the newcomers! Good luck to all.
~Kathi
Q3 V33 Finalist
The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease forever to be able to do it.
~Peter Pan

https://www.klschwengel.com

kentagions
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:45 pm
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby kentagions » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:03 pm

Hail to the newest forumites! Best of luck.
wotf013

bhanks
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:57 am
Contact:

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby bhanks » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:16 am

Hi there, I'm Bethany. I've been interested in writing for a while now. I should have introduced myself earlier since I submitted for Q2, but better late than never, eh?

I have a Bachelor's in English and an editing minor. I've done some editing internships, and I interned at a literary agency in New York a couple of years ago. It was all well and good, but I kept wanting to write my own stuff, not just edit someone else's. I've been getting a Master's degree in Folklore, which has been a lot of fun. Currently, I'm interning at a newspaper and have some articles published, but writing novels is the goal.

I grew up reading mostly fantasy--Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Terry Brooks, David Eddings, Patricia C. Wrede, Robin McKinley, Susan Cooper, Tamora Pierce, Brian Jacques, etc. Now, I read a lot more widely, but I want to write speculative, imaginative fiction. Hehe, sometimes I feel like my ideas are pretty weird, but they're interesting to me. The struggle to finish a project is real! It helps to work on writing these short stories and crafting a good, shorter piece. Anyway, don't want to blab on too much.

The Q2 entry was my first, and I was pretty excited to get a SHM! Keep on writing, fellow WOTF friends. We're all in this murkiness together!
2017 - Q2 Silver Honorable Mention

User avatar
Dustin Adams
Posts: 1512
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:47 am
Location: NY, state of
Contact:

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby Dustin Adams » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:27 am

Greetings!
And grats on your solid first entry.
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
8x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

Chris533
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:17 pm

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby Chris533 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:25 pm

Howdy: I'm Chris. I recently learned I got an Honorable Mention in the Q2 2017 contest! That's really got me stoked!! Someone in the Facebook Fantasy & Science Fiction Writers group suggested I join this group, so I did. I'm actually at work just now so can't hang out but I'm looking forward to checking the group out and seeing what's happening here.
HM Q2 2017

User avatar
J'nae Rae
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:05 pm

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby J'nae Rae » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:44 am

Welcome to even more new members! Happy writing everyone.
HM Q1 2015, Q3 & Q4 2016.
R Q1 & Q2 2017
The Trade's On, in Issue 8 of Sci Phi Journal, November 2015
Naidin's Song: Blood Bound, published August 2016
Nine-Tenths, on Empyreome (Weekly Flash Fiction,) June 2017

wotf024

JasonChristopherDuke
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:52 am
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby JasonChristopherDuke » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:02 pm

I'm new to the forum, but I've been entering the contest since 2015. My first entry received an HM. I am a U.S. Army veteran, Iraq War veteran, interested in writing SF/F and, of course, military science fiction! wotf009 Lol, don't get me started on the emojis either!

I am also a resident of the Seton Hill Writing Popular Fiction M.F.A. program and just finished my first residency in June.

SamHulatt
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:57 pm

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby SamHulatt » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:47 pm

Heloo everyone!

My name is Samantha "Sam" Hulatt and I wanna be a writer when I grow up. LOL!

I have been writing on and off most of my life. Mostly off since as a Mom, Former College Student {Got my Associates last winter after 9 years of taking one class at a time} and Substitute Bus Assistant; I don't have a lot of time. However I have recently declared that "Sometime in the Future" is NOW and have gotten serious about my writing. In pursuant of this aspiration, I joined a local writers group and actually attended my first in-person class today about "Toil and Flow" regarding getting into that mythical writing zone in which the words just flow onto the page (I have been in this zone before; love to spend more time there!) I also have taken a few free online writing classes from Holly Lisle as well as reading wonderful writing blogs such as Mad Genius Club---which is how I ended up here. Following embedded links can lead to wonderful places.

I had heard various folks online mention the Writers of the Future contest, but didn't have enough confidence to even consider it. I'm better now (or at least more willing to fall down). I also found out that the yearly contest anthologies are available as a free online borrow via my local library. My Summer Reading List just got waaaaaay longer!

Thanks for hosting newbies both here on this Forum and in print. I think I'm gonna like it here (Just need to remember to take the time to get back here and interact with folks)!

Happy writing!
Sam Hulatt

User avatar
J'nae Rae
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:05 pm

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby J'nae Rae » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:39 am

Welcome Jason and Samantha!
HM Q1 2015, Q3 & Q4 2016.
R Q1 & Q2 2017
The Trade's On, in Issue 8 of Sci Phi Journal, November 2015
Naidin's Song: Blood Bound, published August 2016
Nine-Tenths, on Empyreome (Weekly Flash Fiction,) June 2017

wotf024

User avatar
elratliff
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:18 pm
Location: WA, state of

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby elratliff » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:04 pm

Welcome, new folks!
1 x SHM
1 x HM
2 x R

wvancamp
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:22 pm
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby wvancamp » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:19 pm

Hello all. I am a new user here in the forums. In fact, I didn't know the forums existed until I read an article in the new newsletter! I've known about WOTF for a long time but never submitted anything. They were just the people in that booth on the other side of the dealer room. I didn't give them much further thought. I started writing as a hobby back in 2010 and gradually set writing goals for myself to lead toward becoming a professional writer one day. I published a few short stories in literary magazines, published plenty of scifaiku poetry, and indie published a novelette in the regency romance genre. However, none of it could be considered "pro-market" level. Honestly, I never submitted to that tier until last year. I've received many encouraging letters from the editors along with the form rejections, but thus far no pro-sales.

A friend of mine recommended WOTF to me and encouraged me to submit a story here. This is the third quarter I've entered. So far it has been all form rejection for me, but that is okay. I just keep writing and submitting as I can. While I aim to submit something each quarter, it is working out to be more like twice a year for me.

I never knew about the Honorable Mentions until I read about it here in the forum. I know about the annual gala since several of my writing friends go to it, but I've never attended. I guess I've been like a kid, standing outside in the snow, peering through a leaded window pane while my breath frosts the glass. There are lots of pretty things inside, but so far, out of reach. Shall I break the glass or open the door? wotf011

Anyway, I'm glad to be here and hope to learn more about the contest and what I should aim for. My first two entries were flash fiction. From what I've been reading here, perhaps that was not the ideal format to enter.
Wendy Van Camp
No Wasted Ink
http://nowastedink.com
If you can't be the poet, be the poem. -David Carridine
1 HM - 2 R

Thomas Woodward
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:18 am

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby Thomas Woodward » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:06 pm

Hi everyone,

My name is Tom. I just discovered WOTF this year, and submitted for the first time in March. It was exhilarating to hit the submit button the first time! I've never entered any writing contests before and I just started writing fantasy last year (I started writing one day over my lunch break and haven't stopped since). I'm very excited to be preparing again for this quarter's submission.

Nice to meet everybody :)
V34: Q2 - R, Q3 - HM

Bartleby
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:39 pm

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby Bartleby » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:23 am

Hey all,

Been lurking for a little while, both for the solid advice and because your comments are funny and inspiring. Getting an HM was the tipping point for me signing up; I don't feel I'm gonna break into SF territory until I understand this contest better and improve my writing.

I'm one of those creepy lurkers who reads a lot of the fiction folks link on their signatures here. I'm consistently amazed by it. Makes me realize how freakishly competitive this field is. Also makes me feel a lot less down when I get rejections knowing just how much great stuff is out there that hasn't found a market yet.

User avatar
Dustin Adams
Posts: 1512
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:47 am
Location: NY, state of
Contact:

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby Dustin Adams » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:55 am

Welcome to the new folks!

Saying hello is the first step to getting involved - and getting involved sometimes leads to winning!

See ya around.
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
8x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

tparchie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:39 am
Location: Accrington, UK
Contact:

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby tparchie » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:36 am

Hi
I live in Accrington UK. For the geographically minded, this places me slap-bang in the middle of one of the oldest football rivalries - Burnley and Blackburn...that's soccer to the many Across-the-Pondanians :-). I started writing in 2009 and I've written four novels as well as 50+ short stories and several exploratory, novella length narratives. Although I think of myself as an SF writer, much of my shorter works are... well normal. I've been entering Writers of the Future on and off since 2015 (honourable mention plus a silver). Some of my stuff is on Lulu and Kindle; my non-SF stuff includes a book on my home town, Burnley, plus a book of poetry. I'm also a writing group junky.
TP

User avatar
disgruntledpeony
Posts: 538
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:05 am

Welcome. wotf013 I wouldn't say non-genre fiction is 'normal'; I think mainstream fiction and non-fiction are the appropriate terms.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, F, ?

Dustan Moon
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:22 pm

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby Dustan Moon » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:43 pm

Welcome to all the new members! Be sure to enter the discussions under each quarter so we know you are here. And be sure you submit something each quarter! Don't judge your own work, let Dave be the judge!

Cheers!

~Moon~

Wulf Moon
http://www.driftweave.com

Dustan Moon
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:22 pm

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby Dustan Moon » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:47 pm

Thomas Woodward wrote:Hi everyone,

My name is Tom. I just discovered WOTF this year, and submitted for the first time in March. It was exhilarating to hit the submit button the first time! I've never entered any writing contests before and I just started writing fantasy last year (I started writing one day over my lunch break and haven't stopped since). I'm very excited to be preparing again for this quarter's submission.

Nice to meet everybody :)


Every successful writer started somewhere. : )

That you got an HM at about your first try up to bat says A LOT! Conga rats!

Cheers!

~Moon~

Wulf Moon
http://www.driftweave.com

Wulf Moon
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:54 pm
Contact:

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby Wulf Moon » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:05 pm

wvancamp wrote:Hello all. I am a new user here in the forums. In fact, I didn't know the forums existed until I read an article in the new newsletter! I've known about WOTF for a long time but never submitted anything. They were just the people in that booth on the other side of the dealer room. I didn't give them much further thought. I started writing as a hobby back in 2010 and gradually set writing goals for myself to lead toward becoming a professional writer one day. I published a few short stories in literary magazines, published plenty of scifaiku poetry, and indie published a novelette in the regency romance genre. However, none of it could be considered "pro-market" level. Honestly, I never submitted to that tier until last year. I've received many encouraging letters from the editors along with the form rejections, but thus far no pro-sales.

A friend of mine recommended WOTF to me and encouraged me to submit a story here. This is the third quarter I've entered. So far it has been all form rejection for me, but that is okay. I just keep writing and submitting as I can. While I aim to submit something each quarter, it is working out to be more like twice a year for me.

I never knew about the Honorable Mentions until I read about it here in the forum. I know about the annual gala since several of my writing friends go to it, but I've never attended. I guess I've been like a kid, standing outside in the snow, peering through a leaded window pane while my breath frosts the glass. There are lots of pretty things inside, but so far, out of reach. Shall I break the glass or open the door? wotf011

Anyway, I'm glad to be here and hope to learn more about the contest and what I should aim for. My first two entries were flash fiction. From what I've been reading here, perhaps that was not the ideal format to enter.


For cryin' out loud, Wendy, stop staring in that window and step inside, you look like a Peeping Tom. : )

As for your first two entries, you SUBMITTED! Good for you! You took courage and sent stories out. As for flash, it's pretty hard to do true world building on a postage stamp, and Dave does like world building, probably because he's so good at it, and it really adds depth to a story. Best thing you can do is read the books published under his judging. Study the lengths, study what he sends up. Then, forget about it and go write your story. And don't lose your VOICE, the most unique thing your writing has to offer. No one on this earth can duplicate that, because it's all you!

Fortune favor the brave!

~Moon~

Wulf Moon
http://www.driftweave.com

Thomas Woodward
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:18 am

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby Thomas Woodward » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:18 pm

Dustan Moon wrote:
Thomas Woodward wrote:Hi everyone,

My name is Tom. I just discovered WOTF this year, and submitted for the first time in March. It was exhilarating to hit the submit button the first time! I've never entered any writing contests before and I just started writing fantasy last year (I started writing one day over my lunch break and haven't stopped since). I'm very excited to be preparing again for this quarter's submission.

Nice to meet everybody :)


Every successful writer started somewhere. : )

That you got an HM at about your first try up to bat says A LOT! Conga rats!

Cheers!

~Moon~

Wulf Moon
http://www.driftweave.com


Thanks Moon!

Everyone has been really friendly and supportive, which is awesome. Nice to meet you. :)
V34: Q2 - R, Q3 - HM


Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: thegirlintheglasses and 1 guest