NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
MWStallings

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby MWStallings » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:07 pm

Hello all. Looking forward to learning. I submitted last quarter. I plan on submitting til I win or Pro out.

Regards,

Mark

Dneldridge

Postby Dneldridge » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:07 pm

Hello fellow writers. wotf009

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:26 am

Welcome Dneldridge and Mark. Write on.
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

BLAlley

Postby BLAlley » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:47 am

storysinger wrote:Welcome to the forum BLAlley. You are here so it is as it should be.

Enjoy wotf007 .

Since this is the only reply I've received I'm pretty sure I'm not welcome. Thanks anyway.

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:09 am

BLAlley wrote:Since this is the only reply I've received I'm pretty sure I'm not welcome. Thanks anyway.

Looks like we got a dramatic one over here, folks.

Get out the cage and prep the bees.

(Also, wotf006!)
WotF Results:
  • R:2
  • HM:6
  • sHM:0
  • SF:0
  • F:0
  • Last: HM, Q3 v35
  • Pending, Q4 v35

BLAlley

Postby BLAlley » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:50 am

michaeljwyantjr wrote:
BLAlley wrote:Since this is the only reply I've received I'm pretty sure I'm not welcome. Thanks anyway.

Looks like we got a dramatic one over here, folks.

Get out the cage and prep the bees.

(Also, wotf006!)

Interesting choice, refuting my feeling of not being welcome by validating it. I came here believing I could exchange tips and advice and pass on what I've learned as an author to help others avoid some of the mistakes I've made along the way.

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:27 am

I’m so sorry, BLalley... I thought you were being snarky. My sincere and deepest apologies.
WotF Results:
  • Pending, Q4 v35

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:51 am

BLAlley wrote:
storysinger wrote:Welcome to the forum BLAlley. You are here so it is as it should be.

Enjoy wotf007 .

Since this is the only reply I've received I'm pretty sure I'm not welcome. Thanks anyway.

The new users thread isn't as active with responders as it used to be, but please don't take that as a sign that you're not welcome. We always appreciate newcomers. wotf007

Posting in the quarterly threads is a good way to make friends and get to know people, and I definitely recommend participating in story trades at some point. It's a great way to get critiques (and I've often found I learn as much, if not more, by critiquing others' works into the bargain).
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015: R
2016: SF, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, F, R
2018: HM, SHM

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:08 am

Apparently your arrival has synched with a changing of the guard ( one way of putting it). Some of the regulars have pro'd out and some have won and moved on.

You have not been rejected (don't we all love that word). I say again, welcome to the forum.
HM-1
D.R.Sweeney

BLAlley

Postby BLAlley » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:22 am

Last edited by BLAlley on Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:32 am

BLAlley wrote:
michaeljwyantjr wrote:I’m so sorry, BLalley... I thought you were being snarky. My sincere and deepest apologies.

After visiting your website I can understand why you see the world through a suspicious filter. Here's my final bit of advice: We make money as writers by selling our work, not our process.

*raises an eyebrow, but leaves it alone*

Welcome to the forum BLAlley.
WotF Results:
  • Pending, Q4 v35

From the Ashes

Postby From the Ashes » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:26 am

Hi, I am new to the site and learning my way around it. Although I have had stories in the works for many years, I have just published my first book, under the pen name Michael Phoenix. The book is available both as an ebook and paperback on Amazon. The title, Shawn Parmalee, Esquire, A Real Doll. This is the opening novel of a series of about four. I am currently working on Book 2 of the series, which is a prequel of the first. I look forward to spending more time here, both reading what others have to say and throwing in a few words of my own. In the meantime.....

My definitely defining quote: "Spending time making things up that didn't happen to people who don't exist." wotf001

WillFarrar

Postby WillFarrar » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:55 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the community. I have been an aspiring author for a long time, but I just discovered WOTF, a week ago. I plan to submit some manuscripts real soon. I know that the next deadline is October 1. I have a question. Is Supernatural Horror considered Dark Fantasy? Would stories from H. P. Lovecraft be considered Dark Fantasy. for example?

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:13 am

Welcome Ashes and Will and others I have missed! Thanks for introducing yourselves. As to what's the line between dark fantasy and horror, I'm no expert, nor does the industry itself seem to know. It all boils down to the editor's opinion, in this case, Dave's. He has called for horror, but I'll give you a caveat. Remember that the anthology is read by a lot of teenagers, and that Dave is very conscious of that fact and awards accordingly. If you think a parent might object to their youth reading the tale, then Dave probably will as well. Just a word to the wise.

Do post over on the other topics, as that's where most of the conversation in here goes on, especially in the current submission quarter!

Welcome aboard!

~Moon~
Last edited by Wulf Moon on Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:02 pm

Echoing Wulf's welcome message (and dark fantasy advice) to Ashes and Will!
WotF Results:
  • Pending, Q4 v35

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:43 am

Welcome Will and From the Ashes.
Wulf Moon wrote:Do post over on the other topics, as that's where most of the conversation in here goes on, especially in the current submission quarter!
Good advice.
Good luck with your entries in the contest.
HM-1
D.R.Sweeney

orbivillein

Postby orbivillein » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:22 am

WillFarrar wrote:Hi Guys,

I'm new to the community. I have been an aspiring author for a long time, but I just discovered WOTF, a week ago. I plan to submit some manuscripts real soon. I know that the next deadline is October 1. I have a question. Is Supernatural Horror considered Dark Fantasy? Would stories from H. P. Lovecraft be considered Dark Fantasy. for example?

Supernatural horror, dark fantasy, and Lovecraftian horror are near synonyms and subgenres among each the other, all of a more psychological horror than visceral horror drama. Horror, the overall genre category of the Main Eight. Psychological horror is also a mainstay of thrillers in general and Naturalism literature and art movements.

A common theme for the lot is a human or human-like individual and inhuman demons, "actual" or figurative, contend about "dark" questions and challenges of moral aptitude (sapience) against a "dark" pessimistic nihilism backdrop. Re: a Faustian bargain!

Supernatural horror more so portrays spiritual motifs and contests; dark fantasy, paranormal; Lovecraftian, cosmic psychological horror, soft-hard science fiction-metaphysical fantasy crossovers, both or either spiritual and paranormal. Noir's hard-boiled cynic protagonist adventures in bleak, vice- and folly-ridden social settings is also somewhat "dark" and psychological horror, with or without metaphysical and science fiction motifs.

On the other hand, self-defined and self-developed expression principles propel cognitive leaps and impel dramatic freshness and vigor. What ho, Willliam; Farrarean horror?

DremaD

Postby DremaD » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:29 am

Hi all,

I'm new here, so still feeling my way through the forum. I've written for years, but only in the last few have I tried to do anything with my scribblings. At the moment I have a handful of short stories, three of which have been published online. One is still out, one is on the revision table, and one is my third quarter entry into the contest. My first sci-fi/fantasy novel is currently in the bidding for Pitch Wars. (Keep your fingers crossed for me!) Its sequel's first draft is complete, and the third in the series is outlined but not yet begun.

I have a hard time deciding which genre subdivision fits my work best. Most of my stories are spec-fic, but where inside that vast category is the question. Only one was close to hard sci-fi. I'd use the term Magical Realism for some except, as I understand it, that category is specific to Latinx (did I say it right?) writers. Since I don't fit that group, I don't want to disrespect its members by using the category inappropriately. Thus I am not sure how to label my work.

Anyway, I'm hoping my participation here might help me strengthen my craft and build community among other writers.

Cheers!

Al_Peter

Postby Al_Peter » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:20 am

Hello everybody!
My (pen) name is Al Peter, I'm an Italian author who loves fantasy, sci-fi, comicbooks, superheroes, role-playing games and... well, this contest :D I discovered it two months ago and I fell in love. Now I'm about to send a story for the 4th quarter deadline. Fingers crossed!

orbivillein

Postby orbivillein » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:00 am

DremaD wrote:Hi all,

I'm new here, so still feeling my way through the forum. I've written for years, but only in the last few have I tried to do anything with my scribblings. At the moment I have a handful of short stories, three of which have been published online. One is still out, one is on the revision table, and one is my third quarter entry into the contest. My first sci-fi/fantasy novel is currently in the bidding for Pitch Wars. (Keep your fingers crossed for me!) Its sequel's first draft is complete, and the third in the series is outlined but not yet begun.

I have a hard time deciding which genre subdivision fits my work best. Most of my stories are spec-fic, but where inside that vast category is the question. Only one was close to hard sci-fi. I'd use the term Magical Realism for some except, as I understand it, that category is specific to Latinx (did I say it right?) writers. Since I don't fit that group, I don't want to disrespect its members by using the category inappropriately. Thus I am not sure how to label my work.

Anyway, I'm hoping my participation here might help me strengthen my craft and build community among other writers.

Cheers!

Magical Realism is an offshoot of Realism and Modernism's hyper-realism conventions, that blurs distinctions between mundane and supernatural realms; that is, perceives exceptional mundane mysticality and considers metaphysical spirituality everyday routine, plus, commentary about social stratification from a lower-rung-status-looks-up orientation and other kernel convention commonalities that adapt local-personal cultural definitions.

Magical Realism formally emerged from Latinx writers, strong traces of its cores elsewhere and before the genre emerged from South America, of polygenesis origins, actually, and since broke out across many cultures and spread into crossover genre, includes science fiction. Stronger emphasis thereto of "soft" science fiction's fantastical social sciences than "hard" science fiction's fantastical technology and physical sciences.

Nor is Magical Realism limited to the fantastic nor fiction. Creative nonfiction Magical Realism that strongly imitates real-world reality and adopts blurred mundane mysticality and spiritual routine and social stratification commentary is meta-nonfiction, like metafiction, someway experimental and self-aware art.

morganb

Postby morganb » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:08 am

Welcome welcome to all the new forum folks!

You'll like it here (everybody does)...

~Morgan
"If you can do it for joy, you can do it forever."
- Stephen King

Drop me a line at https://morganbroadhead.com

HM x 1
R x 4

YM Pang

Postby YM Pang » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:12 pm

Welcome, everyone!
Michelle Pang
http://www.ympang.com
1xFinalist, 10xHM

"Subtle Ways Each Time" in Escape Pod.
"The Palace of the Silver Dragon" in Strange Horizons.

SCAFontaine

Postby SCAFontaine » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:34 am

Hello everyone.
My pen name is S.C.A. Fontaine. I currently live in France and am going to try my hand at submitting a short story for 4th quarter. I am excited to get to know other budding writers.

DylCary

Postby DylCary » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:14 am

SCAFontaine wrote:Hello everyone.
My pen name is S.C.A. Fontaine. I currently live in France and am going to try my hand at submitting a short story for 4th quarter. I am excited to get to know other budding writers.

Hi, welcome!
"In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded."
-Terry Pratchett

V35: Q1 (n/a), Q2 (n/a), Q3 (???)

WillShadbolt

Postby WillShadbolt » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:37 am

Hi guys, I'm new. My name's Will, and I'm excited to meet you all. I've been a wannabe writer since like 2011, but only in the past year have I really buckled down and gotten seriously (and only within the past year have I started seeing some success!)

morganb

Postby morganb » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:45 am

WillShadbolt wrote:Hi guys, I'm new. My name's Will, and I'm excited to meet you all. I've been a wannabe writer since like 2011, but only in the past year have I really buckled down and gotten seriously (and only within the past year have I started seeing some success!)

Welcome, Will. Strap in and hold on tight; it's a fun ride!

~Morgan
"If you can do it for joy, you can do it forever."
- Stephen King

Drop me a line at https://morganbroadhead.com

HM x 1
R x 4

DylCary

Postby DylCary » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:33 pm

WillShadbolt wrote:Hi guys, I'm new. My name's Will, and I'm excited to meet you all. I've been a wannabe writer since like 2011, but only in the past year have I really buckled down and gotten seriously (and only within the past year have I started seeing some success!)

Continue to kick butt, Will. Welcome to the club! wotf024
"In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded."
-Terry Pratchett

V35: Q1 (n/a), Q2 (n/a), Q3 (???)

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:59 am

Welcome, Will! It's a friendly place, helping with not only WotF, but writing itself. Do post to the quarter you enter, as most conversation goes on there. Best of success on your writing!

~Moon~

SiFiMarine

Postby SiFiMarine » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:55 pm

Well, my name is Ryan and I wanted to join this forum because it's been a useful insight into WOTF. A little about me: I'm 32, a Marine Corps vet (admin clerk), dad, and biomedical tech for a hospital system in Arizona. Been writing for about 6 years.

My history with the contest is sparse and spread out. First time was a rejection, roughly three years ago, and last quarter was an HM. I've entered Q3 for 2018 and I'm hoping to improve of course.

Had my first two pro sales this year (Terraform and Galaxy's Edge) and while I want more pro sales, I hope I can at least make finalist before I pro out of the contest.

That's me in a nutshell. Sorry for the long post.
HM - 1
R - 1

Spiraledpen

Postby Spiraledpen » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:59 pm

Hello? Perhaps salutations? Spiraledpen here,

A noob in the realm of forums. Especially delving into the deep waters of skillful writing. The feelings of a new high school pop into my mind as all heads turn to stare at the new “who in the world is that?” kid. A bearded one at that!

I always wanted to tell stories and found i’m pretty good at that, but then I realized I have to write it down and splat, the melancholy begins. It’s taken over a quarter of a century to begin to try. First time entry Q3, vol. 35
Truth is a three edged sword.

Kosh, B5

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”