NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
preston

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby preston » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:44 pm

Welcome Ryan (aka, SiFiMarine) and welcome, Spiraledpen. I think you'll find this forum friendly and information, not to mention entertaining and inspiring. I learned more here about writing than in college...not even kidding. The trick to winning this contest is simple: keep entering! Of course, it helps if make your story unique and creative, well written, with a great hook, an interesting setting, a satisfying ending, fully-dimensional characters and a few more nitpicky things...easy, peasy, right? Good luck and see you on the forums. (Or at the awards ceremony!)

Sataris

Postby Sataris » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:50 am

Welcome, spiraledpen and sifimarine! Hope you find the forums helpful, and good luck with your entries!
2017: Q4: SHM - The Tin Man, Syntax and Salt
2018: Q1: 1st Place

SiFiMarine

Postby SiFiMarine » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:00 am

Thanks guys!
HM - 1
R - 1

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:31 am

SiFi Marine, welcome aboard! Sounds like you've got a great start to your writing career!

Spiraledpen, welcome aboard! You are sending your story into the contest, instead of just thinking about it. That's a milestone, one you must pass to become a published writer. Well done!

To all the rest, be sure to post in the quarterly topics...it's where most of the chat goes on. Cheers!

Spiraledpen

Postby Spiraledpen » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:52 am

Ideas - easy. Stories - not too hard... but fleshing them out into good literature? For me it’s like using sandpaper for Kleenex.

Thanks for the welcome!

Spiraledpen

wotf027
Truth is a three edged sword.

Kosh, B5

SiFiMarine

Postby SiFiMarine » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:52 pm

Wulf Moon wrote:SiFi Marine, welcome aboard! Sounds like you've got a great start to your writing career!

Spiraledpen, welcome aboard! You are sending your story into the contest, instead of just thinking about it. That's a milestone, one you must pass to become a published writer. Well done!

To all the rest, be sure to post in the quarterly topics...it's where most of the chat goes on. Cheers!

I'm very fortunate and lucky to have some pro and semi-pro sales under my belt already. Still, dry spells happen and I'm working on getting my SFWA and/or HWA membership. All in due time.
HM - 1
R - 1

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:46 am

Welcome Spiraledpen.
Welcome Ryan and Will.
You've found a good place to be. Enjoy wotf013 .
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

SiFiMarine

Postby SiFiMarine » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:36 pm

storysinger wrote:Welcome Spiraledpen.
Welcome Ryan and Will.
You've found a good place to be. Enjoy wotf013 .

Thank you! I feel very welcome.
HM - 1
R - 1

joemonson

Postby joemonson » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:07 am

Greetings.

I'm Joe Monson. I'm an editor and a writer. I have four anthologies in various stages of work, and the first one comes out in February 2019. It's a space opera and hard science fiction anthology titled Trace the Stars through Hemelein Publications (http://hemelein.com/catalog/anthologies ... the-stars/).

I have one short story ("Napoleon's Tallest Teamster") that will be published in an anthology through Immortal Works, though the publisher hasn't announced when yet. I've submitted once to WotF, so far. I have others that are submitted and in various stages of creation.

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:31 pm

Welcome to those who have posted and those who have not. Good luck to you all.

The Forum is unique as a resource for any number of writing needs. Need advice - post a question. Need a critique - ask for an exchange. Don't worry if your question has been asked before, just ask and someone will answer.

Have fun.

4Wiedy

Postby 4Wiedy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:00 pm

Hi -- my name is Pam Wiedenbeck. I write Fantasy and Horror. I aspire to win this contest one day.

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:47 pm

joemonson wrote: I've submitted once to WotF
Welcome to the forum Joe. Best of luck to you.
4Wiedy wrote: I aspire to win this contest one day.
Great attitude Pam. You'll find a lot of support from the forum for your efforts.
HM-1
D.R.Sweeney

Vettski2000

Postby Vettski2000 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:33 am

wotf007 Good Mornin'! I'm Yvette Murray from Charleston South Carolina. I've entered every quarter this year and haven't placed yet. But you know what? There's always next year.

Spiraledpen

Postby Spiraledpen » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:56 am

Yo Joe, Pam, and Yvette!

Welcome!

Spiraledpen
Truth is a three edged sword.

Kosh, B5

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:03 am

Welcome Yvette. Entering 4 quarters is quite an accomplishment. wotf010
Be sure to check out the 4 for 36 page and do it again.
HM-1
D.R.Sweeney

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:42 am

Hey, Joe, you found us! Thanks for accepting my invite! TRACE THE STARS has some great authors in the table of contents, like DAVID FARLAND and KEVIN J. ANDERSON. Nope, no one around here has heard of those guys. : )

Pam and Yvette, welcome as well! As always, do post in the quarter you intend to submit to--that's where all the chat normally happens. This is just a launch platform to welcome new members. And do take up the 4 in 36 challenge, an idea founded last volume by our super secret master of ceremonies, Dustin Adams. And lots of people here will swap mss with you if you want some feedback, just toss it out on the Q you are entering, and members available will help out.

Enjoy the Forum! Leave your knives at the marble entrance columns, and if anyone is planning on backstabbing Caesar, for the love of the gods, PLEASE get his salad dressing recipe out of him first! It's delicious.

aceface98

Postby aceface98 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:51 am

Hello~

My name is Ace and I'm very new to the writing contest scene in general ^^;;
I was going to try to enter the fourth quarter of 2018 but missed the deadline, so now I'm aiming for the first quarter ^^ Hopefully plot will just happen this time lmao
I'm more used to writing fanfiction so this'll be my first stab at doing some original work in a long, long time (Like, I think the last proper original thing I did was in 2014?). I'm excited to get back to it though :D

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:10 am

Welcome, Ace! Nothing wrong with writing fan fiction--one of my pro sales is to Pocket Books' Star Trek:Strange New Worlds 2 ("Seventh Heaven"). But for this contest, of course, it has to be original work, original world. Do post in the Q you are planning to submit in. All the action really happens there.

Have fun and welcome aboard!

~Moon~

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”