NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Dragonchef

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby Dragonchef » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:53 am

Obi-Wan Nobody wrote:Hi,
My name is Nic; I write software code to pay the bills and sci-fi to continuously train my imagination. English is not my native language, so please bear with me if sometimes I say something goofy.
The first submission sent for Q2; hopefully, a new one will be ready for Q3.

Thanks for accepting me in your fellowship!

Greetings and be welcome, Nic!
Remember to add your Q2 submission report to "Discussion: Q2, Volume 36" to be counted among all the Q2ers.
R = 2
SHM = 1 (Q3.V32)
WINs = Zip
F = Zero
SF = Zilcho
HM = Nada
wotf013

onlyfro

Postby onlyfro » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:04 am

Hi, everyone! My pen name is E.L. Haines, but my friends and my forums call me "Fro." I'm currently writing a series with a knight-errant character, a guy who travels around getting involved in local conflicts and solving local mysteries. My protagonist doesn't just travel between towns, though--he also crosses (unwittingly) between fictional settings. He started in a medieval setting, moved to a Gothic horror setting, and has plans to visit a Western setting and then perhaps an Arabian setting.

I suppose he takes after me, in that regard. I'm currently living in Egypt, after travelling around much of the USA and also visiting several places in Europe. Hey, if any other Writers of the Future are living overseas, give a shout-out!

Dragonchef

Postby Dragonchef » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:02 am

onlyfro wrote:Hi, everyone! My pen name is E.L. Haines, but my friends and my forums call me "Fro." I'm currently writing a series with a knight-errant character, a guy who travels around getting involved in local conflicts and solving local mysteries. My protagonist doesn't just travel between towns, though--he also crosses (unwittingly) between fictional settings. He started in a medieval setting, moved to a Gothic horror setting, and has plans to visit a Western setting and then perhaps an Arabian setting.

I suppose he takes after me, in that regard. I'm currently living in Egypt, after travelling around much of the USA and also visiting several places in Europe. Hey, if any other Writers of the Future are living overseas, give a shout-out!

Hello and be welcome, Fro! Sounds like your prot. has a true renaissance spirit. Very cool. Would like to read your work when you are done.

I believe there are others here that live outside the USA. There is one in South Africa, and another in Germany . . . that I know of. Your are the first in Egypt that I have heard. I have always wanted to go there, and Jerusalem, and Istanbul, and Morocco . . . etc.

Welcome aboard the Forumite Express.
R = 2
SHM = 1 (Q3.V32)
WINs = Zip
F = Zero
SF = Zilcho
HM = Nada
wotf013

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:10 am

Welcome to all the noobies, BrandiJ, Helge, BPalm, Nic, and Fro. wotf010

Exploring the threads is a good way to get a feel for what it takes to be successful in the contest. Enjoy! wotf008
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

BladeQuill

Postby BladeQuill » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:51 am

Hi everyone!

I first submitted to WOTF about a year ago, but haven't submitted since - although I hope to finish something up and sumbit it this quarter. I just got added to the forum due to some technical difficulties, so I'm glad to be here. I'm currently a student at Brandies University, double majoring in English and Creative Writing, with a minor in Studio Art and a plan to complete the MAT at Brandeis. I grew up in Colorado, am a triplet, and am pretty comitted to trying anything and everything I find enjoyable or interesting. Most recently, I got trained in bronze casting, which made my fantasy-loving-heart very happy.

Glad to meet all of you!
-BladeQuill

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:55 pm

Wulf Moon wrote:Welcome at last, BrandieJ! Glad the system finally got fixed!

Sadly, it’s not really fixed yet. As a stopgap measure, John or I can manually approve new accounts. And I’m not certain I can do that from my phone (for technical reasons), so approval may be delayed until I get home from work.
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

WriterGirl0426

Postby WriterGirl0426 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:56 am

Good Morning, everyone. So glad to finally be here. I was caught up in some of the recent technical issues that prevented my email authentication or I would have joined you sooner. :)

I have submitted to WoTF a few times now, and after receiving an incredibly thrilling Silver HM for 1st Quarter 2019 I came searching for information on whether others have polished and resubmitted, how that went, etc. I've been doing lots of reading of your threads while waiting to be able to post, so I'm eager to jump in on some of those conversations and perhaps find some others to swap stories with. Looking forward to getting to know all of you!

--Tracy
(pen name T.E. Bradford)
Tracy

V34 Q3: R
V34 Q4: R
V35 Q1: R
V36 Q1: SHM

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Thu May 02, 2019 11:22 am

Welcome to all the new! A shout out to Billy, Obi-Wan (Nic), onlyfro (Fro), BladeQuill, and WriterGirl (Tracy). This is the best place to learn how to win this contest, and along the way, becoming a pro writer! Jump on in to the threads, especially Q3 since that's what we're in right now.

BladeQuill--bad news, beware college creative writing programs. In order to create sellable fiction, you will likely have to unlearn everything you are learning. Don't take that from me, Kevin J. Anderson just said that at Superstars Writing Seminar. Good news? There are a lot of people in this forum that actually have some professional credits, and know what they are talking about. Soak up all you can from them. They are on the path!

Cheers to all! This is a friendly, supportive place. Make your mark on it! A good one!

All the beast,
~Moon~
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Critters Readers' Choice Award: First Place, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018
Award's Speech: https://youtu.be/9Vf1eeeKPRA Located at 1:09:00

czing

Postby czing » Mon May 06, 2019 1:36 pm

Hi All,

Relatively new here as well (also got caught up in the technical issues). I submitted for the first time in Q1 and got an HM! Submitted a different story for Q3. And have revised the one from Q1 after gathering some feedback and I have to say I thought it was good when I submitted it originally but I see it is much better now. I love getting critique and feedback on my writing (I'd had some on that story before and improved it based on it) but it is especially good when you get just the right bits of critique that help the light bulb go on in your head for how to take a piece to a new level.

I have a novel that I'm in the final stage of revising (with several other first draft novels and novellas and short stories in that world waiting for my attention) - adult science fantasy. Plus a middle grades fantasy novella that I am finishing up edits before getting it out to critique partners. Plus a historical fiction/fantasy first draft that is mostly done and in dire need of more research.

So much I want to write and so little time!
HM - Q1 v 36

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Wed May 08, 2019 7:27 am

Greetings Everyone!
I hope you find this space as friendly and helpful as I have.
Dig into the conversations and give us your valuable 2 cents.
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Wed May 08, 2019 12:13 pm

Welcome to all the newbs. Find your place and enjoy.
HM-1
D.R.Sweeney

KD Lightle

Postby KD Lightle » Wed May 08, 2019 4:49 pm

Well, here goes. Hi, my name is Kim, and I found out about Writers of the Future a few months ago. I haven't submitted yet, but I've got a story in the works right now (which I really should be working on...) that I intend to get in for the end of this current quarter. After that, it is my intention to enter every quarter until either I win, or I get something published. Whichever happens, but that workshop is just too good to be true, and I want to get there.

I'm looking forward to hanging out with all you crazy folks.
See ya'll at the finish line.
Reality can be beaten with enough imagination - Mark Twain.

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Wed May 08, 2019 5:01 pm

KD Lightle wrote:Well, here goes. Hi, my name is Kim, and I found out about Writers of the Future a few months ago. I haven't submitted yet, but I've got a story in the works right now (which I really should be working on...) that I intend to get in for the end of this current quarter. After that, it is my intention to enter every quarter until either I win, or I get something published. Whichever happens, but that workshop is just too good to be true, and I want to get there.

Welcome! And just to note - you're eligible until you've had more than three short stories published, or a novel, at pro rates. And you're eligible right up until publication! So get submitting, and good luck!
WOTF: HM x 9, SHMx1, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3, V36 Q1
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

JasonJWillis

Postby JasonJWillis » Thu May 09, 2019 10:59 pm

I'm Jason J. Willis. This is my new favorite place to be on the internet. The first story I sent in to Writer's of the Future, years ago, came back to me marked with a note saying it was a semi-finalist, a note I did not understand fully until listening to the new podcast. I've been studying all the best info I can find, working with coaches and mentors, and I've been getting feedback on my rejections with top market editors. I hope to break into the market soon, hopefully by winning the contest. That said, i care more about great stories than I care about winning a contest, so if I can help guide anyone else to good mentors and data, just let me know.

parakkum

Postby parakkum » Fri May 10, 2019 1:18 am

Hi all!

I'm Alex Shearer. I submitted to WotF once in the early 2000s and was a quarterfinalist (and was discouraged so didn't do it again - hah!). Since then I've written a bunch of nonfiction (gaming columns) and some comics, and just had a short story published in a thriller anthology.

I'm also married to Christine Rhee, one of the artist winners for this past year! She illustrated Preston's story for volume 35 of WotF. I got to tag along with her at the Illustrators of the Future workshop in Hollywood and it was great - and everyone from Author Services poked me to submit to the competition again, so I'm going to.

Since my heads been in the thriller space for a while now (the short story, and I have a novel I'm shopping out to agents), it's going to take me a few moments to gin up some new ideas for SFF stories - but I'm definitely submitting each quarter until I'm no longer eligible.
Writing and other stuff at http://www.alexandershearer.com

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Fri May 10, 2019 10:03 am

Welcome Kim, Jason, and Alex. Explore the threads and join in the comradery.
HM-1
D.R.Sweeney

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Sun May 12, 2019 2:14 am

KD Lightle wrote:Well, here goes. Hi, my name is Kim, and I found out about Writers of the Future a few months ago. I haven't submitted yet, but I've got a story in the works right now (which I really should be working on...) that I intend to get in for the end of this current quarter. After that, it is my intention to enter every quarter until either I win, or I get something published. Whichever happens, but that workshop is just too good to be true, and I want to get there.

Great to have you with us kd.

You're comming in with a great positive attitude, which is always welcome.

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Sun May 12, 2019 12:27 pm

parakkum wrote:Hi all!

I'm Alex Shearer. I submitted to WotF once in the early 2000s and was a quarterfinalist (and was discouraged so didn't do it again - hah!). Since then I've written a bunch of nonfiction (gaming columns) and some comics, and just had a short story published in a thriller anthology.

I'm also married to Christine Rhee, one of the artist winners for this past year! She illustrated Preston's story for volume 35 of WotF. I got to tag along with her at the Illustrators of the Future workshop in Hollywood and it was great - and everyone from Author Services poked me to submit to the competition again, so I'm going to.

Since my heads been in the thriller space for a while now (the short story, and I have a novel I'm shopping out to agents), it's going to take me a few moments to gin up some new ideas for SFF stories - but I'm definitely submitting each quarter until I'm no longer eligible.

Hey, Alex! I know you! You were the one man support team so Christine could benefit from her workshop! Congrats on your peaceful and well-behaved baby boy--that would not have worked so well with other babies I have seen at that age. wotf001 You guys also had good tools to keep him from being disturbed by the noise of crowds and such...well done.

That you got a QF, which is now a semifinalist, says your writing was up to snuff almost 20 years ago. It should only be better now, so yeah, you should be submitting again! Thrillers work well for SF. Just set it on the Moon. Or on Mars. Or on another world. Or against distrusting alien races inhabiting the same planet. Plenty of thrill space to explore in space. Just season it with some cool tech and you have yourself an SF thriller.

We look forward to your comments in the main section. Be sure to comment in the Q you plan to enter. The most support goes on there. And drop in on my SUPER SECRETS if you like--I'm sharing everything I know on how to win this contest. Might be something of value to you in there.

Welcome aboard!

~Moon~
Critters Readers' Choice Award: First Place, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Sun May 12, 2019 12:57 pm

Hey, Kim! Welcome to the forum! You are correct--you can't beat that workshop and gala, there is not a single one better on the planet for spec fic writers (because you'd have to charge $30,000 per workshop member just to break even!). We had a special treat with Orson Scott Card being there for the week--he hasn't been a teacher there for many years. Combine that with the knowledge of David Farland and Tim Powers, and you had a powerhouse of instruction. But not to be overlooked are the last two days--that was my favorite part. In one hour knowledge imparting flash sessions, we had instruction from former winners, the bestselling judges, and even industry experts in various aspects of publishing, like the reviews editor Liza from Locus. Nnedi Okorafor outlined her career path from her WotF win to her bestselling status today, and how she deals with deadlines. Dean Wesley Smith detailed why he wasn't selling in the first stage of his career (made the mistake of trying to edit his stories to perfection, and admits he was ruining them), and then told us how he became an indie bestselling writer and publisher. Larry Niven told us about a math equation he found that made Ringworld's dimensions accurate, and how close he had come to failing on that. For me, the most powerful aspect of the workshop was hearing insights from so many experts that had been there, done that. There is no other spec fic workshop that places so many experts in front of you with the best advice they can share to help you succeed. It is indeed worth every effort to strive to achieve. It is no wonder so many that have been to that workshop have gone on to create stellar careers. Author Services gives you everything you need in ego boost (you have to believe in yourself to succeed and achieve), expert teaching from real bestselling experts in the field, and the tools and team necessary to brand you as a professional writer and to publicize your brand.

Keep writing. Keep studying. And then write some more. You will find excellent support and knowledge on these pages, some of it direct from that workshop you desire. May desire create need. May need create passion. May passion create drive. May drive commit you to perform the work necessary to win.

And I say that last paragraph to all of the new here.

All the beast,

Wulf Moon

KD Lightle

Postby KD Lightle » Sun May 12, 2019 6:46 pm

Wulf Moon wrote:
Keep writing. Keep studying. And then write some more. You will find excellent support and knowledge on these pages, some of it direct from that workshop you desire. May desire create need. May need create passion. May passion create drive. May drive commit you to perform the work necessary to win.

OMGs thank you for your wonderful words, Wulf. I watched your acceptance speech in the Awards Gala, and was seriously moved, and here you are, replying to my intro on the forum. Is it okay if I'm a little star struck? That's kind of how I've been feeling since I signed up here.

Oh I want to get to that Workshop. Every time I see pictures from it, or past Winners commenting on all the amazing things they learned, I get teary-eyed. Hopefully I can turn that emotion into enough drive to see it through. Other than making it through school (I'm an Massage Therapist in real life), I've never really achieved anything of worth in my life, so, if I can do this... I can do anything.

Your posts on the Super Secret Challenge have been the most inspiring. And the most humbling.

Ok, enough gushing. Since signing up, I have gotten a crash course on what it takes to Win, and now I just need to do it.
One day at a time.

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Sun May 12, 2019 11:28 pm

Thanks, Kim, for your kind words. There's more pictures of the workshop on my facebook page--send me a friend request there and you'll see additional pictures I took at the workshop. I'm still posting them, a little at a time.

As for our worth, it's important to recognize we have great worth--we are unique in this universe, and that means we have unique things to say. Packaging it up and transmitting it effectively for others to visualize and understand is our job if we wish to become professional writers. The more we do it, the better we get at it. In this contest, you'll know you're getting better at it when you start getting certificates. In the professional marketplace, you'll know you're getting better at it when you start gettting personal rejections and invitations to send more.

So feed on the encouragement here, find a good writing partner that's ahead of you on the path (there are many here with experience willing to help), but most importantly, keep writing fresh stories! There is no substitute for practice. We must write, and write, and write to hone our craft.

All the beast!

Wulf Moon

Helge Mahrt

Postby Helge Mahrt » Mon May 13, 2019 7:18 am

KD Lightle wrote:
Wulf Moon wrote:
I've never really achieved anything of worth in my life, so, if I can do this... I can do anything.

I'm pretty sure you've achieved a great many things in life. It's usually just a matter of perspective. E.g. you say that you're a Massage Therapist, so you've worked your way to that profession, and are probably helping other people get better. There are several achievements in there! wotf010
Although, I have to say that I feel the same about this workshop. It's got to be an incredible feeling to win, and going to the workshop you just have to feel like a superstar. wotf019
Good luck winning this!

einstein36

Postby einstein36 » Mon May 13, 2019 3:59 pm

HI there,
Submitted a story back in 1987 to the contest, but got a rejection, but like Wulf Moon, that did not stop me from getting up and getting back on that writing horse. I have kept writing to hone my skills and hopefully one day to get a winning story...

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Mon May 13, 2019 10:34 pm

einstein36 wrote:HI there,
Submitted a story back in 1987 to the contest, but got a rejection, but like Wulf Moon, that did not stop me from getting up and getting back on that writing horse. I have kept writing to hone my skills and hopefully one day to get a winning story...

The difference between success and failure is getting up one more time than we have fallen. Keep at it, Einstein. And welcome to the forum!

~Moon~

einstein36

Postby einstein36 » Tue May 14, 2019 6:17 am

Wulf Moon wrote:
einstein36 wrote:HI there,

The difference between success and failure is getting up one more time than we have fallen. Keep at it, Einstein. And welcome to the forum!

~Moon~

thank you, Wulf...I have gotten back on that horse and realize that I am definitely honing my writing skills :)…

KD Lightle

Postby KD Lightle » Tue May 14, 2019 7:38 am

Welcome, Einstein! This is definitely the place to hone those writing skills!

Good luck on the contest! See you at the finish line!

WriterGirl0426

Postby WriterGirl0426 » Wed May 22, 2019 12:39 pm

Well I'm nearly as newbie as ya'all, but wanted to send a welcome shout out to:

Czing - Congrats on your HM for your first submission! That's awesome! wotf010
Kim - Loving your drive. I definitely feel the same way. Going to submit until I win, or drive them so crazy they final me to get rid of me. wotf001
Jason - Welcome back! Sounds like you're already hitting the mark. wotf045
Alex - Welcome back and congrats to your wife Christine! What an awesomely talented family! That's one lucky baby. wotf009
Einstein36 - Wow! 1987 - Great year! I say that from experience. wotf019 Welcome back!

Nice to veet all of you (virtual meet). Here's hoping volume 36 is filled with as many of us as possible!!! wotf013
Tracy
Tracy

einstein36

Postby einstein36 » Wed May 22, 2019 3:46 pm

WriterGirl0426 wrote:Well I'm nearly as newbie as ya'all, but wanted to send a welcome shout out to:

Czing - Congrats on your HM for your first submission! That's awesome! wotf010
Kim - Loving your drive. I definitely feel the same way. Going to submit until I win, or drive them so crazy they final me to get rid of me. wotf001
Jason - Welcome back! Sounds like you're already hitting the mark. wotf045
Alex - Welcome back and congrats to your wife Christine! What an awesomely talented family! That's one lucky baby. wotf009
Einstein36 - Wow! 1987 - Great year! I say that from experience. wotf019 Welcome back!

Nice to veet all of you (virtual meet). Here's hoping volume 36 is filled with as many of us as possible!!! wotf013
Tracy

Thank you and something else I don't know if I should mention here:) (but I actually got to meet Jack Williamson and he critiqued my story back then). I now know what I need to do going forward to be the best writer...

KD Lightle

Postby KD Lightle » Wed May 22, 2019 8:03 pm

WriterGirl0426 wrote:Kim - Loving your drive. I definitely feel the same way. Going to submit until I win, or drive them so crazy they final me to get rid of me. wotf001

Tracy

Nice to meet you too! Let's do it! Write to Win!

See you at the finish line!

-Kim

WriterGirl0426

Postby WriterGirl0426 » Thu May 23, 2019 12:18 pm

einstein36 wrote:Thank you and something else I don't know if I should mention here:) (but I actually got to meet Jack Williamson and he critiqued my story back then). I now know what I need to do going forward to be the best writer...

Wowza!!! That's so cool! The Dean of SciFi himself!!!

I once had a business trip to Bangor, Maine and got to see Stephen King's house. More exciting still - the UPS truck arrived while I was standing there oggling like some star-struck schoolgirl. I figured I was about to either see him or Tabitha. They must love when fans come to stare. wotf001

Tracy
Tracy

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”