NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
HermioneLee

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby HermioneLee » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:11 pm

Hello, Wulf! I read your story Super-Duper-Moongirl yesterday, and it’s awesome! I love Moonie so much :)
Fight for what you believe in; believe in what you fight for~~Hermione Lee
V37 Q1: R
V37 Q2: ?
V37 Q3: ?

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:20 am

HermioneLee wrote:Hello, Wulf! I read your story Super-Duper-Moongirl yesterday, and it’s awesome! I love Moonie so much :)

Thank you, Hermione! Please drop me a line at moontrace (at) outlook (dot) com and I'll add you to my Moonie fan list! You can also friend me at wulf.moon.94 on Facebook. There's currently a nice picture of all the WotF Forumites there that attended Superstars! We had a wonderful dinner, actually, several dinners together. So good to meet people from here in person and give one another encouragement!

As for Moongirl, Dixie's story is not over! Stay tuned for the sequel, it's coming!

Welcome once again.

Wulf Moon
Forum Moderator
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Author page: http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY of 2019.

HermioneLee

Postby HermioneLee » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:09 pm

Hi, Wulf, I’ve added you on Facebook! wotf008

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:07 pm

HermioneLee wrote:Hi, Wulf, I’ve added you on Facebook! wotf008

Saw that! Now we can keep up to date! Cheers!
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY of 2019.

R.A.Krueger1

Hello! Hello!

Postby R.A.Krueger1 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:34 pm

Hey there fellow writers! I'm R.A. Krueger (or just Becka). I'm just diving into the wonderful WotF world. I'm working on my first story to submit this quarter and I'm looking forward to 'meeting' some of you here in the forums.
I'm originally from Nebraska (go Huskers!) and will always consider it home, but we are currently living in Florida and enjoying the winter here vs. there. I live with my husband and 5y/o son (who keeps me very busy) and our two furbabies. In my pre-mom life I was a pastry chef.
I mostly write MG and YA Fantasy and Sci-Fi, all with a touch of humor. I enjoy novels and short stories. If anyone knows of an online writing group of sci-fi/fantasy writers that are really dedicated and help support each other, I'd love to hear about it!
Glad to be here. If you read this far, I owe you a cookie.

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:29 pm

Hello, RA Krueger!

Welcome to the WotF Forum! You are in the right place! Everyone here is dedicated to helping support one another in all the things you listed! Do say hello in the quarter topic you are entering, as most chat goes on there. I invite you to check out my Super Secret's topic--lots of pointers there on how to write like a pro and win this contest!

Plenty of people here to swap stories with as well. You'll find we're a friendly bunch.

Now where's my cookie? Wait a minute, you're a pastry chef! I want a lemon tart!

Welcome aboard!

Wulf Moon
Forum Moderator

HermioneLee

Postby HermioneLee » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:59 pm

Hi Becka, good luck on your submission! I also write YA fantasy :) The WOTF forum is an extremely friendly place where we all encourage one another. Welcome!

LibrarianBarbarian

Postby LibrarianBarbarian » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:38 pm

Hello everybody! My name is Mark Taverna. I have sold a few Sword & Sorcery stories to indie presses, but nothing that would disqualify me from the competition. I've been writing since I was a teenager, with a few long interruptions. I became a stay-at-home dad last year, and could finally write on a more regular basis. I'm currently putting the finishing touches on my entry.

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:55 pm

I would first like to extend my heartfelt welcome to all of the newbies that have arrived of late. This is a good place to be, and I hope you all find yourselves comfortable. Have some cookies and cocoa. *passes out snacks*

LibrarianBarbarian wrote:Hello everybody! My name is Mark Taverna. I have sold a few Sword & Sorcery stories to indie presses, but nothing that would disqualify me from the competition. I've been writing since I was a teenager, with a few long interruptions. I became a stay-at-home dad last year, and could finally write on a more regular basis. I'm currently putting the finishing touches on my entry.

Good on you for taking that step. I went the stay-at-home parent route myself when my twins were born about 15 months ago. It can be difficult, but it's also very rewarding.

Also, I have to say: you, sir, win Best Username of the Year So Far. (At least, in my humble opinion.)
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, ?, ?

LibrarianBarbarian

Postby LibrarianBarbarian » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:12 pm

Also, I have to say: you, sir, win Best Username of the Year So Far. (At least, in my humble opinion.)

Thank you! And even if that honor is all I take away from the competition, I'll be content. Not ecstatic, of course, but content. wotf007

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:28 am

Welcome, LibrarianBarbarian!

And yes, that is a great name. Feel free to root around the place like a wild boar and I hope you find yourself a few truffles!

All the beast!

Wulf Moon
Forum Moderator

JDTaylor

Postby JDTaylor » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:56 pm

Hey all, I'm Siah, going under the pen name J.D. Taylor. I'm a leather craftsman and amateur baker of cheesecakes.

I've had my eye on this contest for quite a while now, but finally getting ready to drop a submission. I have a stack of WotF books (loved your super duper moon girl, Wulf :P), though I gave away a bunch to a friend. I started getting into writing when I took some creative writing classes at a community college and had an amazing instructor (who had won a teacher of the year award while I was taking several of her classes). I ended up taking half a dozen or more creative writing classes within a year or so, and it built in me a passion for writing. I continued that on through university where I studied Language Arts.

Life has been mildly chaotic for a while, but now things are finally settling in a nice groove and I can have a regular schedule stress-free. I had often found many excuses to put off writing the stories I've had in mind (some of them very valid, some of them not). Now I'm done with excuses. I'm aiming for the top :)

I love fantasy (Lord of the Rings is my all-time favorite), and am working on the first novel of a planned dark fantasy trilogy. The story I will be submitting will likely also appear as a chapter in the series. Should be finishing it up relatively soon and looking for beta readers and critiques.

I've never been very active on forums of any kind, but may try to be on here :D Feel free to ask whatever.

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:00 pm

Welcome, JDTaylor!

This group loves fantasy, and knows what it's like to deal with life issues and fighting to keep at their writing. Do post in the quarter you plan to enter, where most of the discussion and encouragement occurs. There's a section for swapping critiques as well.

I'll put in my order first, since I was first to greet you. How's the blueberry cheesecake?

All the beast!

Wulf Moon
Forum Moderator

Elessar

Postby Elessar » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:53 pm

Hey, my name is Elessar Beverly. In case anyone's wondering, yes, I was named from Lord of the Rings. I'm 17 and I dropped out of high school about a year ago. Having always dreamt of becoming a storyteller, and a few years ago, falling in love with the written word, I now aim for publication while working part time to pay the bills. Just recently, I've set my sights on Writers of the Future and am hoping to submit this quarter and if not, the next.

In the past, I've been praised for my writing (mostly by my mom) and have been told I'm talented, but was too scared to put it to the test. Now, I'm officially ready to have my self confidence trampled on! Thank you for having me :)
:)

HermioneLee

Postby HermioneLee » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:57 am

Hi Elessar! Wow, you’re seventeen? I’m two years younger than you. It's really cool that you pursue your dream and aim for publication. I’m doing the same :) Best of luck on your submission!

MtlWriter

Postby MtlWriter » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:35 am

Mornin' all. My name is Warren Clyde, I live in Montreal, Quebec. I have always wanted to write, even so far as to order course info on writing way back when I was a little tyke. (ICS, a correspondence school) But could not afford it.

I am now 50 years young and decided two years ago, after losing my job and having no money, to take the novel series I had started in 2007 and finish the first book in the series. I did last year, then wrote part two and part three, which I am still editing... I have a lot to learn. I know that, and I try daily. I know my grammar and punctuation, composition,etc.. is not good(Was not in high school long...another story..lol)
OOOPS....I did it again, talked to much....Apologies. wotf001

Peter Glen

Postby Peter Glen » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:45 am

Welcome Elessar, HermioneLee and MtlWriter :) GL with your submissions!
HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R

HermioneLee

Postby HermioneLee » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:00 am

MtlWriter wrote:Mornin' all. My name is Warren Clyde, I live in Montreal, Quebec. I have always wanted to write, even so far as to order course info on writing way back when I was a little tyke. (ICS, a correspondence school) But could not afford it.

I am now 50 years young and decided two years ago, after losing my job and having no money, to take the novel series I had started in 2007 and finish the first book in the series. I did last year, then wrote part two and part three, which I am still editing... I have a lot to learn. I know that, and I try daily. I know my grammar and punctuation, composition,etc.. is not good(Was not in high school long...another story..lol)

Wow, you’re writing a trilogy? So am I! I’ve completed a 55,000 word trilogy and I’m currently working on the second part of a much longer one. Good luck with writing! You’ll love the forum here at WOTF. Everyone’s nice and we are like one big family. The moderator, Wulf Moon, is super-duper friendly. He's also very generous and gives encouragement to new writers.

HermioneLee

Postby HermioneLee » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:00 am

Peter Glen wrote:Welcome Elessar, HermioneLee and MtlWriter :) GL with your submissions!

Thanks wotf007 good luck to you, too

JDAnthony

Postby JDAnthony » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:59 am

Hello Incredible Nerds,

My name's JD and last quarter was my first time entering WotF. A few years back I took 2nd in a local contest (Willamette Writers) and now I want to up my game. I've been lurking here for a few months while I catch up on old WotF podcasts and anthologies. I feel like I'm way behind, but the resources on this forum and the wealth of help and information has been so dang inspiring!

In my real life I'm a night security guard (so I can write) and I live in the pacific northwest. Which is basically Lothlorien with Starbucks.
37Q1 - HM
37Q2 - Pending

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:32 am

Welcome to all the newcomers!
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Short Story. My Semi-F My Finalist #1

Elessar

Postby Elessar » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:10 am

JDAnthony wrote:In my real life I'm a night security guard (so I can write) and I live in the pacific northwest. Which is basically Lothlorien with Starbucks.

I live in seattle, so I feel ya. Can't go a few blocks without finding yourself a starbucks.
:)

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:07 am

Elessar wrote:Hey, my name is Elessar Beverly. In case anyone's wondering, yes, I was named from Lord of the Rings. I'm 17 and I dropped out of high school about a year ago. Having always dreamt of becoming a storyteller, and a few years ago, falling in love with the written word, I now aim for publication while working part time to pay the bills. Just recently, I've set my sights on Writers of the Future and am hoping to submit this quarter and if not, the next.

In the past, I've been praised for my writing (mostly by my mom) and have been told I'm talented, but was too scared to put it to the test. Now, I'm officially ready to have my self confidence trampled on! Thank you for having me :)

Welcome aboard, Elessar. Pretty name, it should be in a book. : )

You need two things to win this contest: talent and dedication. Writing daily is how you perfect your skills. Submit a fresh short each quarter and look for those certificates. When you start earning them, you will have a wonderful sign that you are doing the right things in your writing.

Keep at it!

Have fun poking around the boards, and do chat in the Q you are entering. That's how people know you are in the race with them!

All the beast!

Wulf Moon
Forum Moderator

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:09 am

MtlWriter wrote:Mornin' all. My name is Warren Clyde, I live in Montreal, Quebec. I have always wanted to write, even so far as to order course info on writing way back when I was a little tyke. (ICS, a correspondence school) But could not afford it.

Welcome aboard, Warren. Writing finds a way. Glad you've found yours.

You are never to old to learn. Or to write a story to submit to Writers of the Future!

All the beast!

Wulf Moon
Forum Moderator

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:14 am

JDAnthony wrote:Hello Incredible Nerds,

My name's JD and last quarter was my first time entering WotF. A few years back I took 2nd in a local contest (Willamette Writers) and now I want to up my game. I've been lurking here for a few months while I catch up on old WotF podcasts and anthologies. I feel like I'm way behind, but the resources on this forum and the wealth of help and information has been so dang inspiring!

In my real life I'm a night security guard (so I can write) and I live in the pacific northwest. Which is basically Lothlorien with Starbucks.

Welcome, JD! Who you callin' nerds? <breaks your glasses in the middle so you can run some tape around the break and better look the part>

Willamette Writers, eh? I know some of them. I lived in Eugene for ten years and was a member of Wordos. I was there the day Eric Witchey first walked in. You've got some good resources there to tap into, and great ones here as well.

Best of success on your entries. Hard work does pay off!

All the beast,

Wulf Moon
Forum Moderator

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:53 am

Wulf,

I'm thinking the amount of dedication and talent can be defined on a sliding scale. While I can't surmise at others' talent levels, I'm certain mine is pretty low. I just have hours and hours of dedication. Sadly, they are spread out over decades instead of focused or I would likely have been to LA by now. So I'd like to add a dash of focus to your two ingredient recipe. My most "successful" year was shm, sf, f for vol 32. I was mad focused and read and wrote every day. Since then... not so much.
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Short Story. My Semi-F My Finalist #1

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:22 pm

JDAnthony wrote:Hello Incredible Nerds,

I probably don't fit in that category, but I'm closer than ever before. wotf022
MtlWriter wrote:Mornin' all. My name is Warren Clyde, I live in Montreal, Quebec.

Visiting Canada is high on my bucket list.
JDTaylor wrote:Hey all, I'm Siah, going under the pen name J.D. Taylor. I'm a leather craftsman and amateur baker of cheesecakes.

The Wheel of Time has quite a segment on a leather worker, he does awesome stuff, as you will here with your fellow forumites.
A hearty welcome to anyone else I missed.
HM-V32/Q3
HM-V36/Q4
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

gadi

Postby gadi » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:11 pm

Hi all, thank you for creating, maintaining, and being a part of this amazing resource. I'm Gadi, a relatively new writer living in Tel Aviv.

I'm excited about the opportunity to get to know you, learn from you, and help where I can. :)

- Gadi.

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:13 pm

Dustin,

One of my favorite phrases, and I had it taped to my monitor for years, was from a Star Wars movie. Qui-Gon Jin said it:

"Your focus determines your reality."

All the beast!

Wulf Moon

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:15 pm

gadi wrote:Hi all, thank you for creating, maintaining, and being a part of this amazing resource. I'm Gadi, a relatively new writer living in Tel Aviv.

I'm excited about the opportunity to get to know you, learn from you, and help where I can. :)

- Gadi.

Welcome, Gadi from Israel!

You have found your tribe! Do post on the quarter you are entering--most of the support chat happens there. And if you'd like to swap with someone for a critique, there's a place on the boards to do that as well. Snoop around, thanks for introducing yourself, and welcome to the tribe!

Wulf Moon
Forum Moderator

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”