NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
pcmccollum

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby pcmccollum » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:38 am

simplify wrote:Hello WOTF writers!

I've been following the contest for a few years, but I have yet to make my first submission. I had all sorts of good reasons - no time, need to get better, no great idea for a short story et al.

This quarter I've finally given myself a kick in the behind and am putting the finishing touches on my submission. I have a short story planned for every quarter in this cycle, so I'll be around for a while! wotf001

I'm excited to join you all on this adventure! wotf007

Olivia

Glad you're jumping in, Olivia! The water's great. wotf008 The best way to 'get better' is to write, write, write. I've learned this after dilly-dallying too long. Looking forward to hearing about your experiences.

-Phillip
V34-Q4: HM
“If you hide your ignorance, no one will hit you and you'll never learn.” ― Ray Bradbury
Follow my attempt at 52 short stories in 52 weeks - https://phillipmccollum.com/52-short-stories-in-52-weeks/

simplify

Postby simplify » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:15 am

pcmccollum wrote:The best way to 'get better' is to write, write, write.

Couldn't agree more! I've always been writing, just not with the intent to publish or submit. But I think ultimately it's unhealthy to keep everything to myself, so I'm gonna start putting it out there and see how it fares in the wild.

By the way, I've checked out your blog and read some of your "52 in 52". Can I just say - kudos! Not only on the discipline it takes to keep it going, but also the general quality of your stories. I've only read a few so far, but I'll be back for more. My favourite so far was Andreiana - I absolutely did not see that reveal coming. It's also fascinating to see your scratchpad-entries. Overall, very very cool project!

pcmccollum

Postby pcmccollum » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:01 am

simplify wrote:
pcmccollum wrote:The best way to 'get better' is to write, write, write.

Couldn't agree more! I've always been writing, just not with the intent to publish or submit. But I think ultimately it's unhealthy to keep everything to myself, so I'm gonna start putting it out there and see how it fares in the wild.

By the way, I've checked out your blog and read some of your "52 in 52". Can I just say - kudos! Not only on the discipline it takes to keep it going, but also the general quality of your stories. I've only read a few so far, but I'll be back for more. My favourite so far was Andreiana - I absolutely did not see that reveal coming. It's also fascinating to see your scratchpad-entries. Overall, very very cool project!

Wow, thank you so much for the kind words! The whole '52 in 52' experiment has been a great way to build the writing and submission habit. I'd recommend it to anyone who's just not producing like they wished they would.

Also, I think it's great that you're going to start putting your work out there. I just received my first paid acceptance after quite a few rejections, so I think tenacity is the word of the day. wotf007

-Phillip
“If you hide your ignorance, no one will hit you and you'll never learn.” ― Ray Bradbury
Follow my attempt at 52 short stories in 52 weeks - https://phillipmccollum.com/52-short-stories-in-52-weeks/

Andrew L. Roberts

Postby Andrew L. Roberts » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:05 am

Hello Brad (and everyone ),
My name is Andrew L. Roberts. Like all f you, I am a writer and was fortunate to win 3rd place in last year's 4th Quarter.
The entire experience was incredible and I hope to share whatever I can with any of you who are writing and submitting your work to the contest.
Feel free to call me Andy.

pcmccollum

Postby pcmccollum » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:07 pm

Andrew L. Roberts wrote:Hello Brad (and everyone ),
My name is Andrew L. Roberts. Like all f you, I am a writer and was fortunate to win 3rd place in last year's 4th Quarter.
The entire experience was incredible and I hope to share whatever I can with any of you who are writing and submitting your work to the contest.
Feel free to call me Andy.

Hello, Andy! Thanks for posting and congratulations on last year's success. I'm sure we'd all love to hear about your experience, especially those of us just getting involved in the contest.

-Phillip

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”