NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
disgruntledpeony

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:18 am

So glad to see the influx of new people! wotf007 Welcome, everyone! wotf010
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, F, ?

MDInkley

Postby MDInkley » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:54 am

MDInkley here. Hadn't successfully signed up until today. 4 HM's so far and still in for the 1st quarter. I'm a Utah boy and have taken a few of David's courses and seen Brad T at conferences and stuff. Super excited to be able to commiserate and rejoice with all you all.
MDInkley

HM -- 4
R -- Not counting

www.mitchellinkley.com

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:56 am

Yay! Welcome everyone. It's been so long I was being to fear the forum would die a slow death.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:02 am

amoskalik wrote:Yay! Welcome everyone. It's been so long I was being to fear the forum would die a slow death.

Seconded twice.
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
8x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

J'nae Rae

Postby J'nae Rae » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:33 am

Welcome to all the new members. wotf007
HM Q1 2015, Q3 & Q4 2016.
R Q1 & Q2 2017
The Trade's On, in Issue 8 of Sci Phi Journal, November 2015
Naidin's Song: Blood Bound, published August 2016
Nine-Tenths, on Empyreome (Weekly Flash Fiction,) June 2017

wotf024

Jeremyteg

Postby Jeremyteg » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:41 am

Hi there! Longtime lurker, excited to finally be able to register! I'm currently on a Silver Honorable Mention streak with four in a row, and two HM's before that. I also just recently made my first pro sale to Beneath Ceaseless Skies, which should be coming out in early fall this year. I'm still in for Q1 and made a submission to Q2 a week ago.

Nice to finally introduce myself! wotf001

thegirlintheglasses

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:08 pm

Hello all,
I'm new to the Forum... and I'm new to this contest, so to everyone with those awesome stats below their usernames, I'm a big fat zero. :) I'm a wife, mother of three, registered nurse, and closet writer. I'm hoping to change that and looking forward to knowing some fine writing friends.
Brittany Rainsdon
R-SHM-?

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:51 am

Jeremyteg wrote:Hi there! Longtime lurker, excited to finally be able to register! I'm currently on a Silver Honorable Mention streak with four in a row, and two HM's before that. I also just recently made my first pro sale to Beneath Ceaseless Skies, which should be coming out in early fall this year. I'm still in for Q1 and made a submission to Q2 a week ago.

Nice to finally introduce myself! wotf001

Welcome, and kudos on the sale! wotf007

thegirlintheglasses wrote:Hello all,
I'm new to the Forum... and I'm new to this contest, so to everyone with those awesome stats below their usernames, I'm a big fat zero. :) I'm a wife, mother of three, registered nurse, and closet writer. I'm hoping to change that and looking forward to knowing some fine writing friends.

Greetings! wotf008 Don't stress it. I've been in your exact position, as has everyone else on the board at some point. I wish you luck, and encourage you to keep writing and entering whatever your results end up.

(Honestly, I don't like posting my contest stats in my signature, but I'm weird.)
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

thegirlintheglasses

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:45 am

Hey thanks disgruntledpeony! This looks like a promising group wotf009
Brittany Rainsdon
R-SHM-?

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:20 am

Welcome to all our new Forumites.

Please consider this your first official THURSDAY.

We of the Old People consider this day to have particular mystical significance. It's the day for our ancient ritual when we all put on tin hats, hide under tables, pretend not to hear our incoming email tone and so on. In other words it's the day on which results are traditionally deemed to be announced, whether or not they actually are. A bit like the monarch's Official Birthday.

While some new arrivals find this forum a bit like the Hotel California, others seem to come along, win the contest and depart while their feet scarcely touch the ground.

However we semi-permanent inhabits of the WotF twilight nearly-world are usually found to be happy to offer advice on things that you may find confusing or participate in discussions, crit exchanges or the writing of silly poetry etc.

One thing we are not is self-important or standoffish, so if you'd like some help, please feel quite free to ask. Of course it's always possible we don't know the answer or else can't practise what we preach. After all if we could do these things we'd win the contest ourselves.

But it won't stop us trying, so ask away.

Once again, welcome to all.
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 10 x HM, WotF batting average .565
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

thegirlintheglasses

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:49 am

Ishmael wrote:Welcome to all our new Forumites.

Please consider this your first official THURSDAY.

We of the Old People consider this day to have particular mystical significance. It's the day for our ancient ritual when we all put on tin hats, hide under tables, pretend not to hear our incoming email tone and so on. In other words it's the day on which results are traditionally deemed to be announced, whether or not they actually are. A bit like the monarch's Official Birthday.

While some new arrivals find this forum a bit like the Hotel California, others seem to come along, win the contest and depart while their feet scarcely touch the ground.

However we semi-permanent inhabits of the WotF twilight nearly-world are usually found to be happy to offer advice on things that you may find confusing or participate in discussions, crit exchanges or the writing of silly poetry etc.

One thing we are not is self-important or standoffish, so if you'd like some help, please feel quite free to ask. Of course it's always possible we don't know the answer or else can't practise what we preach. After all if we could do these things we'd win the contest ourselves.

But it won't stop us trying, so ask away.

Once again, welcome to all.

Thanks. I had no idea Thursday's were so important--I'll remember that now and dress appropriately. I was actually recommended to check out the Forum by a former winner. She said probably 95% of the eventual winners hang out on here, so it's a good idea to get on. Hotel California here I come. Or Hotel WotF. Or whatever. You guys already seem like a welcoming bunch. Hooray! wotf007
Brittany Rainsdon
R-SHM-?

vjalrik

Postby vjalrik » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:41 am

Hi everyone,

I'm also a year+ lurker (long observing the irony of a new writer forum that doesn't allow new members...), so it's exciting to finally be able to participate. My first sub was Q2 last year, and I've gotten an HM, SHM, and R so far. I'm still in Q1 2017 and subbed to Q2. Happy to be in the Hotel :)

-Van
V34: SF, R, R, Q4-pending
V33 (Q2 on): HM, SHM, R
Latest sold stories (9 total):
"The Right Decision," Digital Science Fiction, Dec. 21, 2016
"Fossil Fuel," Helios Quarterly Magazine, Dec. 13, 2016

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:32 am

Welcome everyone! Let's get our Q2s finished, and on to Q3!
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
8x HM

historythatneverwas

Postby historythatneverwas » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:32 pm

Hi, all! New here (like many others). I've submitted to the contest twice, with an R the first time, and still waiting to hear this time. I just recently had my first official pro sale and joined SFWA as an associate member. AND I have book coming out in two days. It's already looking to be a wild ride for me this year!
Dawn Vogel
Website History That Never Was

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:55 pm

historythatneverwas wrote:Hi, all! New here (like many others). I've submitted to the contest twice, with an R the first time, and still waiting to hear this time. I just recently had my first official pro sale and joined SFWA as an associate member. AND I have book coming out in two days. It's already looking to be a wild ride for me this year!

Wow! Awesome. wotf009
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
8x HM

Smithr73

Postby Smithr73 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:56 pm

AH! FROM THE DEPTHS WE EMERGE! The lurkers!

I am pleased to join these forums after an agonizing 18 months wait. My name is Robert Smith. I had 5 straight honorable mentions, until this quarter where I received my first R. Just trying to buck the trend in the other direction now. I did make one pro sale last year which was fun, so it's not all for naught.

Anyway, happy to be here. Look forward to adding my madness. wotf010
V32: HM
V33: HM, HM, HM, HM
V34: R, HM, HM

http://www.robertanthonysmith.com

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:05 pm

Hello. New user here. I'm a busy lady - 32yr old mother of two small children, Suzuki music teacher, Air Force wife. I also work for a English curriculum development company here in Tokyo. I am a busy reader, and I recently got back into creative writing. I did a lot of academic writing for my bachelors and masters, but I haven't written fiction since before college. I just submitted my first story to the contest and am writing a novel. I'm here to grow as a writer and find some writing community more than anything else. Greetings all!
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Q2, Vol34, R
Q3, Vol34, HM
Q4, Vol34, pending

www.rebeccaetreasure.com

KathiLS

Postby KathiLS » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:32 am

Hi all! Finally allowed access to the inner sanctum and... yeah... we might want to get in a window washer to clean all those nose prints off. wotf001

In any case, I was a finalist in Q3 last year. My one and only entry to date. Hoping for more, but time is not my friend these days and I can only fit in so many projects at once.

Glad to be here, though.
~Kathi
Q3 V33 Finalist
The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease forever to be able to do it.
~Peter Pan

https://www.klschwengel.com

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:45 am

Welcome! Woo Hoo! Love to see this influx of writers.
wotf010

ehazlett

Postby ehazlett » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:06 pm

Hey there!

My name is Erika Hazlett and I'm (apparently a rarity on this forum, so I've been told) an amateur student artist looking to see what this is all about. I'm not as familiar with Illustrators of the Future as I'd like to be, and I hope I can get advice here for building a successful portfolio and start submitting.

I apologize for the blank avatar, by the way. Not even my post-millennial magic l337 skillz can fix that up if the troubleshooting subforum is to be believed. wotf007

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:37 am

So many new forumites. I had heard there was a problem with joining the forum but I had no idea this many people were lurking and waiting to get here. Welcome to all of you. wotf008
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:07 am

Welcome, all! wotf007 I'm super glad the forum is finally accessible to new accounts again. *offers chocolate chip cookies and brownies*

Dustan Moon

Postby Dustan Moon » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:50 am

Welcome aboard the board, new members! You'll find this is a friendly placce, and the best place to get any questions answered on the contest outside of Joni herself. Glad you found a way past the admit glitch . . . now if you could just help me figure out a way past Finalist. After you get there, of course. : )

Warmth and sunshine,

~Moon~

AndrewDWallin

Postby AndrewDWallin » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:33 pm

Yay! Finally able to sign up! :)

I discovered this contest back in 2010, but never got serious about it until last year.

I've written exactly one story so far, and had it rejected here twice. Just getting to the point of submitting something I was happy with was a major milestone for me.

I'm really just getting my feet under me as a writer, so I know there are many more R's ahead as I travel the "10,000 hour" journey.

Happy to be a part of the forums! :)

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:03 am

Welcome folks!
Glad to have you. Pull up a chair and dig in to the wealth of knowledge.
Or just join us in the twitching. :)

Hi Kathi! wotf032
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
8x HM

reedkat

Postby reedkat » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:19 pm

I finally made it!

My name is Katlynn or Kat works also. I'm so very happy to actually get to say hello to all of you and not just be some creepy stalker now... wotf001

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:00 pm

But I loved you as a stalker, Kat!

I felt creeped out for such a long time and I just knew it was you.

Welcome and best of luck.

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:55 pm

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you here. wotf007

zanoliver

Postby zanoliver » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:58 pm

Hi! Yet another new user here! Thanks to everyone working at WoTF, to get the bug fixed!

I'm one of the Third Quarter Silver Honorable Mentions. Got that on my second try. First was an out right rejection.

Now I've got to gather my thoughts and the questions I have on where to go from here!

Zan Oliver
-------
1xSilver

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:37 am

Welcome to the forum Zan and congrats on the SHM. wotf010
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”