NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
LDWriter2

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby LDWriter2 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:29 pm

ArthurWheeldon wrote:Hello all you wonderful, earth-shaking writers and illustrators! I'm sorry I don't have time to go back and read all 1019 posts...sincerely! I love having a network of like-minded people around me. My name is Arthur Wheeldon and I love to write. Period. I'm 27 and feel as though without the blank page as an outlet for my ever-present (sometimes twisted) ideas, my imagination would grow dark and angry...and I'm not a HUGE fan of anger. Anyway, this is the first time I've every submitted anything to the Writers of the Future. In fact, it is the first time I've ever submitted ANY of my creative works for something other than a grade. I'm happy to become part of something as honored as the Writers of the Future and, should I fail to place this quarter, you can be sure I'll continue to submit.

-Arthur

I'm late here too. But have a late Welcome Author.

This is a good place to learn a thing or three about writing and the Contest.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:31 pm

Well, be welcome Salvanir and Scott. Be better around here with you two here

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

Crom Cruaich

Postby Crom Cruaich » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:48 am

Thanks for the welcomes.

The original Crom Cruaich was a Celtic storm god. Not much is known about him besides what Christian missionaries said . . . which I always take with a shovel of salt.

The names a good fit for what I write.
Crom Cruaich

george nik.

Postby george nik. » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:02 pm

Welcome Crom, Salvanir, Arthur, Tim, Holly, Scott, others I'm probably forgetting -- a lot of new people in the forum lately and that's great.

I was about to comment on Crom's name, but reaching the end of the thread I see that he already explained it himself. Crom Cruaich is a relatively obscure Irish deity. I think Michael Moorcock linked him with Corum as Cremm Croich, and that's how I first heard of him.
George Nikolopoulos
WOTF: 1 SF, 1 SHM, 4 HM
Fiction (EN): 43 stories sold, 29 published
Fiction (GR): c.10 stories published & a children’s novel
Amazon Page

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:30 pm

george nik. wrote:Welcome Crom, Salvanir, Arthur, Tim, Holly, Scott, others I'm probably forgetting -- a lot of new people in the forum lately and that's great.

I was about to comment on Crom's name, but reaching the end of the thread I see that he already explained it himself. Crom Cruaich is a relatively obscure Irish deity. I think Michael Moorcock linked him with Corum as Cremm Croich, and that's how I first heard of him.

First: Been reading a book with a lot of celtic gods and Power people listed, if there really isn't much known about this one he wasn't much of a god. :)

Second: Is that the one that Conan--The Barbarian not The Talk Show Host--always called on? Or at least took his name in vain?

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

dantzel

Postby dantzel » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:19 am

Welcome Crom, Salvanir, Arthur, Tim, Holly, Scott and whoever else I missed!
Vol 29 Q3 Semi Finalist

http://www.dantzelcherry.com

Crom Cruaich

Postby Crom Cruaich » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:11 pm

george nik. wrote:First: Been reading a book with a lot of celtic gods and Power people listed, if there really isn't much known about this one he wasn't much of a god. :)

Second: Is that the one that Conan--The Barbarian not The Talk Show Host--always called on? Or at least took his name in vain?
[/quote]

All we know about Celtic mythology was written by Romans or Christians since the Celts had no written language of their own, and the Roman/Christian motives were all about co-opting or demonizing the Celt deities. There are still nunneries in Britain devoted to Celtic deities who 'became' saints. And Celtic society, which covered almost all of Europe at one time, didn't have a homogeneous faith. There were hundreds of deities, most very local. Most English references about Celtic gods actually only cover the Irish and/or Welsh gods, which were very different from those in Hibernia, or even Scotland.

I think Conan's Crom (or sometimes Krom) was a god of mountains rather than storms.
Crom Cruaich

S. Meilleur

Postby S. Meilleur » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:06 am

Hello.
My name is Sid, and I’m a writeaholic.

It all began so innocently. “Come on,” they said. “You’ll like it. Try it just this once...” It seemed harmless enough. One little taste couldn’t hurt, right? Wrong. I was hooked. I saw the warning signs, but I ignored them. I started buying paraphernalia. I thought I could be a casual user. You know, the “only on the weekends” kind? That didn’t last. Pretty soon, I was doing it every day—often more than once. I started to neglect things like school and work. My wife and cats sat by, helpless, as I sank deeper and deeper into my addiction.

I needed help.

After an intervention, I got into a program in the hopes that the doctors could help me control my habit. So far, they have failed. So, here I am…
S. Meilleur
An unpublished optimist with delusions of grandeur (read: an MFA student)

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:32 am

Bonjour, Sid. :)
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:08 pm

Welcome aboard, Sid!

And yes, it's a disease, and we're a somewhat dysfunctional support group. Instead of helping you to get over it, we encourage you to get sicker!
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

morshana

Postby morshana » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:22 pm

Welcome, Sid. =)
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

S. Meilleur

Postby S. Meilleur » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:45 pm

Thank you for the welcoming.

I submitted my first entry on the 28th, so that puts me in Q3 (I think). I’m a total WotF noob. I wish I’d found this place before entering. It’s a great (and terrifying) resource. For example, my name is nowhere on my manuscript. Unfortunately, I didn’t even consider the file’s properties (aside from the filename, of course). After seeing the thread about anonymizing, I’m a little worried that I’ll get bounced.

I have a zillion questions.

Okay, so that’s patently hyperbolic, but it feels true. Once I figure out the right places, I’ll start to ask them.
S. Meilleur

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:47 pm

S. Meilleur wrote:Thank you for the welcoming.

I submitted my first entry on the 28th, so that puts me in Q3 (I think). I’m a total WotF noob. I wish I’d found this place before entering. It’s a great (and terrifying) resource. For example, my name is nowhere on my manuscript. Unfortunately, I didn’t even consider the file’s properties (aside from the filename, of course). After seeing the thread about anonymizing, I’m a little worried that I’ll get bounced.

I don't think we're aware of anyone actually being bounced for not anonymizing, but it is a technical violation. So we hope to warn people against it just in case the contest starts enforcing that in the future.

NNiNN

S. Meilleur

Postby S. Meilleur » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:54 pm

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:I don't think we're aware of anyone actually being bounced for not anonymizing, but it is a technical violation. So we hope to warn people against it just in case the contest starts enforcing that in the future.

-1 source of submission stress

Thank you!
S. Meilleur

gower21

Postby gower21 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:01 pm

Welcome Sid!

We haven't heard of anyone getting dinked from not removing the personal info from the document...but I think it the future they might. Just trying to get in the habit now.

Glad you decide to come to the defunked support group. We all are as ill as our sickest member.

or whatever...

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:20 pm

gower21 wrote:Glad you decide to come to the defunked support group. We all are as ill as our sickest member.

Oh, no... We're doooooooomed!!!!!

NNiNN

gower21

Postby gower21 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:21 pm

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:
gower21 wrote:Glad you decide to come to the defunked support group. We all are as ill as our sickest member.

Now we take a vote...who's the sickest??

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:30 pm

gower21 wrote:Now we take a vote...who's the sickest??

While my first instinct is to nominate myself... I've clicked Stewart's YouTube links before. I think I'm outmatched.

NNiNN

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:29 pm

gower21 wrote:
Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:

Now we take a vote...who's the sickest??

Logically speaking, if we're all as ill as our sickest member, we're all the sickest member.

Isn't collectivism grand, Grommit?
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner

morshana

Postby morshana » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:01 am

Resistance is futile.
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

BSFFW Sam

Postby BSFFW Sam » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:00 am

Hi everyone,
New to internet forums, however I have been writing for three years. Found WOTF a couple of months ago and entered the contest but I have not heard anything back yet. Can I just ask? How long does it usually take to hear back after the submission has finished?

Hope everyone is well and is writing.

Sam

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:14 am

BSFFW Sam wrote:Hi everyone,
New to internet forums, however I have been writing for three years. Found WOTF a couple of months ago and entered the contest but I have not heard anything back yet. Can I just ask? How long does it usually take to hear back after the submission has finished?

Hope everyone is well and is writing.

Sam

Welcome, Sam. :)

Everything's a bit up in the air at the moment. What was your submission date? Most entries for Q1 (ended on New Year's Eve) have heard back by now, and nobody's heard back for Q2 (ended March 30th) so far as I know.

The average is something like 60-90 days.

BSFFW Sam

Postby BSFFW Sam » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:08 am

Thanks for that S C Baker.
I have submitted in the second and third Q’s, and have not heard anything. I know they say “no news is good news”, but I think the wait, is the writer’s curse.
Thanks again,
Good Writing
Sam

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:10 am

BSFFW Sam wrote:Thanks for that S C Baker.
I have submitted in the second and third Q’s, and have not heard anything. I know they say “no news is good news”, but I think the wait, is the writer’s curse.
Thanks again,
Good Writing
Sam

As Martin L Shoemaker likes to say: the cure for the wait is more writing.

(I like how this statement makes him sound really famous and important. Maybe he's on to something with that middle initial business.)

Kary English

Postby Kary English » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:25 am

Hi, all you new folks who arrived while I was hiding in my deadline hole. :)

Come play in the quarterly Jibber Jabber threads. That's where most of us hang out to socialize.
WOTF: 1 HM, 1 Semi, 2 Finalists, 1 Winner
Q2,V31 - Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!
Flight of the Kikayon at the Grantville Gazette
Totaled (revised HM) in issue #9 of Mike Resnick's Galaxy's Edge
Departure Gate 34B at DSF

MJNL

Postby MJNL » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:44 pm

gower21 wrote:Welcome Sid!

We haven't heard of anyone getting dinked from not removing the personal info from the document.

Dawn did, but that was for an easy-to-spot name placement, I think (easy-to-spot= byline, header, filename). I don’t think that we know of anyone who’s gotten disqualified for this super sub-property attribution nonsense, though (not that that means I wouldn’t remove it in the future, just in case. And that was probably what Tina was talking about in the first place wotf004 ).

Welcome all you newcomers!
~Marina

WotF Winner Q1 2012 (Vol. 29)

WotF Finalist Q2 2010 (Vol. 27)
WotF Finalist Q4 2011 (Vol. 28)
http://lostetter.wordpress.com/
http://twitter.com/#!/MarinaLostetter

CalmSand

Postby CalmSand » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:10 pm

wotf024
Hullo,
I thought it was about time to introduce myself. I've been lurking around this place for a while now, though lately I've started to feel a little too voyeuristic for my own good. SO here I am, participating, which I must say is very out of character because I am one very introverted little cyber-Gollum. I'm a chronic insomniac, a trait I constantly feed with hours of books, movies, and the dark recesses of the internet. I'm eighteen-years old, finished two books, thirteen short stories, and published one very small article in the school newspaper. I love writing, its really the third thing I live for (after salt & vinegar chips and liquorice) and only recently have I allowed myself to be convinced into letting other people see my scraps of fiction. I'm a sophomore at the University of Texas at Dallas doing my undergraduate in Biomedical Engineering, (despite the fact that my weaknesses are primarily in Physics and Calculus (Which are basically the same things)). So yeah, now I'm terrified of everyone and everything, including all of you. But thank you for reading this if you made it this far.
~CS
Ok. Bye. Sorry to interrupt whatever is going on around this post.

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:21 pm

CalmSand wrote:wotf024
Hullo,
I thought it was about time to introduce myself. I've been lurking around this place for a while now, though lately I've started to feel a little too voyeuristic for my own good. SO here I am, participating, which I must say is very out of character because I am one very introverted little cyber-Gollum. I'm a chronic insomniac, a trait I constantly feed with hours of books, movies, and the dark recesses of the internet. I'm eighteen-years old, finished two books, thirteen short stories, and published one very small article in the school newspaper. I love writing, its really the third thing I live for (after salt & vinegar chips and liquorice) and only recently have I allowed myself to be convinced into letting other people see my scraps of fiction. I'm a sophomore at the University of Texas at Dallas doing my undergraduate in Biomedical Engineering, (despite the fact that my weaknesses are primarily in Physics and Calculus (Which are basically the same things)). So yeah, now I'm terrified of everyone and everything, including all of you. But thank you for reading this if you made it this far.
~CS
Ok. Bye. Sorry to interrupt whatever is going on around this post.

Hiya, CS! Good initials there. wotf007

Welcome aboard, in any case. Looking forward to conversing with you, and hooray for the Internets.

(P.S. Boo.)

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:32 pm

Welcome aboard, CS! Aside from the gator, we're not scary. Some of our alter egos are mischievous, but that's as bad as they get.

I'm glad to see you starting young. I made the mistake of giving up at about your age, and I'm regretting it now. Don't be like me!

And now for the most important question...

CalmSand wrote:I love writing, its really the third thing I live for (after salt & vinegar chips and liquorice...

...what color liquorice?

NNiNN

morshana

Postby morshana » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:36 pm

Welcome, CS! wotf007
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”