NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
s_c_baker

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby s_c_baker » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:48 pm

Aloha, Dantzel, Josh, and Jude! wotf007
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

Imagination Vortex

Postby Imagination Vortex » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:18 am

Hi everyone, my name is Stephanie and I finally decided to join the forums after getting my rejection from Q1 last night. I know success can't happen over night, but I guess I was really hoping to have gotten farther than I did. The story I wrote meant a lot to me, and I felt like I put my whole heart into it. I've never been able to take rejection very well.

But obviously I have a lot more to learn. Everyone here seems extremely experienced and talented. I would welcome any advice and help you all could give me. Especially now that I'm having second thoughts about submitting my Q2. I don't want it to have the same fate as my Q1. Right now I only have 2 people who critique my work, and they both thought my Q1 story was really good...

At least joining this forum tells me I'm not in it alone. I can't give up! wotf008
~You Are Now Entering Stephanie's Vortex~
WOTF: 1x Silver, 4x HM, 13x R
IOTF: 1x Semi, 2x R, 4x Into the Vortex

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:32 am

Welcome aboard, Stephanie!

And please, please, please don't let rejection get you down. My rule (which is easier to say than to do) is I allow myself a 5 minute rant after any rejection. After that, I just send that story off to the next market, and I keep writing on a new story. Let the rejection push you higher, not push you down.

We do have a critique exchange forum if you want more reviewers. Check it out.
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

morshana

Postby morshana » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:34 am

Imagination Vortex wrote:Hi everyone, my name is Stephanie and I finally decided to join the forums after getting my rejection from Q1 last night. I know success can't happen over night, but I guess I was really hoping to have gotten farther than I did. The story I wrote meant a lot to me, and I felt like I put my whole heart into it. I've never been able to take rejection very well.

But obviously I have a lot more to learn. Everyone here seems extremely experienced and talented. I would welcome any advice and help you all could give me. Especially now that I'm having second thoughts about submitting my Q2. I don't want it to have the same fate as my Q1. Right now I only have 2 people who critique my work, and they both thought my Q1 story was really good...

At least joining this forum tells me I'm not in it alone. I can't give up! wotf008

Welcome, Stephanie!

That's right. Don't give up! I'm in the same boat...I got a rejection last night and am now having doubts about my Q2, but all I can do is write to the best of my ability, submit it, and move on to the next story.

This is a really great group and I'm glad to have found them. They're really supportive! =)
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

morshana

Postby morshana » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:35 am

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:Welcome aboard, Stephanie!

And please, please, please don't let rejection get you down. My rule (which is easier to say than to do) is I allow myself a 5 minute rant after any rejection. After that, I just send that story off to the next market, and I keep writing on a new story. Let the rejection push you higher, not push you down.

We do have a critique exchange forum if you want more reviewers. Check it out.

Exactly what I did. Submitted that story to the next market before going to bed. =)
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

Patrick S. McGinnity

Postby Patrick S. McGinnity » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:45 am

Welcome, Stephanie, and good timing, really. Support is what we do best (well, maybe that would be writing, but being supportive comes a close second). I joined the day I got my rejection in Q4 of last year, except I joined before getting it, so it was like,

"Hi everyone, I'm new here. Waiting sure is tough, huh?"
5 minutes pass...
"Oh darn. I'm out now."

I almost stopped checking in, as I felt like I didn't have a stake in it anymore. But staying in touch with everyone kept me going for the next quarter, and the one after that. It seems to be an unwritten rule that we don't let each other give up. So stick with it.
Patrick S. McGinnity
Mt. Pleasant/Beaver Island, Michigan

R x 3
Q2 2012 - HM
Look for "The Dubious Apotheosis of Baskin Gough" in the ARCANE II Anthology.

Imagination Vortex

Postby Imagination Vortex » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:08 am

Thank you all for your words of encouragement. You are right I guess it is good timing that I joined the forum when I did. I'm already starting to feel a lot better. Thank you everyone!

Rejection is nothing new to me. In fact, so far everything I've done has been either a dead end or a rejection. But somehow I never seem to run out of ideas. When something doesn't work, I move on to the next thing. I guess that's why I've always been drawn to writing science fiction and fantasy. It is full of endless possiblities! I think I'm even starting to form an idea for Q3. Even if years from now I haven't won and keep getting rejected, I'll keep on writing. It's something I enjoy doing, even if no one ever reads the story but me.

Also I have a question, where do you all go to submit your stories to other places? I'm still new to this and I don't really know what to do next. Also do any of you have experience or know someone who has got a story rejected here but went on to get it accepted some place else? I guess I'm just worried if it got rejected here that means it must have been a bad story, and it will get rejected everywhere else. Do you all work on your stories to improve them and then submit them again? Or leave them the way they are? Thanks again everyone.

Patrick S. McGinnity

Postby Patrick S. McGinnity » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:23 am

Though I haven't personally gotten a WOTF reject published elsewhere, I know it happens, and probably quite often. Like any other market, the contest has a distinct aesthetic, so many fine stories get rejected simply because they are not right for the contest and anthology, not because they are bad stories. As for where to go next, I'd recommend checking out http://duotrope.com and http://www.ralan.com/ to see the markets that are out there. http://www.locusmag.com is another good place to see what's going on, especially on the "Links" page, which lists a bunch of blogs and markets and such. Critters is a good free online workshop too.
Patrick S. McGinnity
Mt. Pleasant/Beaver Island, Michigan

R x 3
Q2 2012 - HM
Look for "The Dubious Apotheosis of Baskin Gough" in the ARCANE II Anthology.

greenroom

Postby greenroom » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:26 am

Imagination Vortex wrote:Thank you all for your words of encouragement. You are right I guess it is good timing that I joined the forum when I did. I'm already starting to feel a lot better. Thank you everyone!

Rejection is nothing new to me. In fact, so far everything I've done has been either a dead end or a rejection. But somehow I never seem to run out of ideas. When something doesn't work, I move on to the next thing. I guess that's why I've always been drawn to writing science fiction and fantasy. It is full of endless possiblities! I think I'm even starting to form an idea for Q3. Even if years from now I haven't won and keep getting rejected, I'll keep on writing. It's something I enjoy doing, even if no one ever reads the story but me.

Also I have a question, where do you all go to submit your stories to other places? I'm still new to this and I don't really know what to do next. Also do any of you have experience or know someone who has got a story rejected here but went on to get it accepted some place else? I guess I'm just worried if it got rejected here that means it must have been a bad story, and it will get rejected everywhere else. Do you all work on your stories to improve them and then submit them again? Or leave them the way they are? Thanks again everyone.

Welcome to the boards (and sorry for your rejection, but there's always next time!),

http://www.duotrope.com is a great site to go to look for other markets to submit your stories to. It also allows you to track your own submissions through their site, if you'd like, and report your responses (watching what's being reporting has been known to be addictive, though!).

I know I've seen people post before about others who've had stories rejected here that have been accepted elsewhere though I can't give any examples. Maybe someone else can.

The first story I submitted here I've abandoned. I didn't like it at the time, and I didn't like it any more when I got it back (I had promised myself I'd make the deadline, and the story I had planned to submit was out at market, so I submitted a backup I wasn't thrilled with instead). I sort of figure that was a bad story.

The second story I submitted here was rejected, but it's also gotten a near miss at Clarkesworld and has currently made it past slush to the editors desk at yet another pro market, so I figure that was a fit issue, not a 'my story sucked' issue.

I think, overall, fit can have a lot to do with this market. If you haven't read any of the anthologies, especially the recent ones, I suggest you do. I did after my second rejection, and it gave me a greater understanding of the type of stories this market looks for.

My third story was an HM. I'm considering revising it some. My fourth is still awaiting a response. That's all the information I can give you from my personal experience.
J. Deery Wray

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:30 am

My Honorable Mention from Q2 last year, "Father-Daughter Outing", was the cover story for Digital Science Fiction Volume 4. I didn't change a thing.

Lots of stories that don't win here end up with homes elsewhere. I'm generally in favor of writing new stories rather than trying to fix old ones. Others like to polish more. As Kipling told us (sorry, folks, you knew this was coming):

There are nine and sixty ways
Of constructing tribal lays
And every single one of them is right.

You have to try different approaches and find what works for you. If something isn't working, ask here, and people will suggest a lot of different approaches; but only you can decide which ones fit how you think and work,

NNiNN

george nik.

Postby george nik. » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:42 am

The one thing you shouldn't do, Stephanie, is give up - either on writing or on any particular story - because of a rejection. Some very fine writers have already reported rejections in this quarter. Other people that got rejected in the past have gone on to win the contest and/or become pros.
As for your story, it's like Patrick just said: the fate of a story in a particular contest or market doesn't by itself tell you much about the quality of the story. Maybe it wasn't a good fit for the market; maybe the editor or judge who read it just didn't happen to like it for any arbitrary reason. No story can be liked by EVERYONE; maybe the next editor who reads it will just love it.
As for critiques, a lot of story swapping is going here at any time. I'd be happy to volunteer but I'm too busy trying to finish my Q2 before the deadline; there are a lot of people who have finished their stories, however, and I believe they'd be happy to swap stories with you now.
George Nikolopoulos
WOTF: 1 SF, 1 SHM, 4 HM
Fiction (EN): 43 stories sold, 29 published
Fiction (GR): c.10 stories published & a children’s novel
Amazon Page

gower21

Postby gower21 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:46 am

Many of the HM's have sold to other markets, but also some of the rejections too. I believe Kyle sold a flat out rejected story to a pro paying market. I think Steffenwolf (diabolicalplots.com) sold a rejection from WOTF. And I do remember a letter KD got on her sff.net board from a multiple Finalist, and HMer who said that one of her rejections sold to Science Fiction and Fantasy. And it was a novelette and she was a virtual unknown. So there you go. There are a few that slip through the cracks or they just weren't really stories for WOTF. Study the thread over at Hatrack (there is a link somewhere here) that talks about the kinds of stories that are hard sells and stories that win. Read the Anthology, always work on your craft and write, write, write. Keep submitting until you sell.

Nobody here will judge you or how good of a writer you are based on rejections. We will base our judgements on what you do to handle those rejections and your drive to keep going.

Imagination Vortex

Postby Imagination Vortex » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:22 pm

Thank you all for the advice and the links. I am going to start looking into them right away. I don't think I'll mess with my Q1 too much, but there are some grammar things I need to fix. I had just learned about these rules a couple of days ago, and I know there were a lot of times I used certain words that I shouldn't have. Other than that I'll leave it the way it is and see what happens.

I know it's close to the Q2 deadline and I wouldn't feel right asking anyone to critique my story now, especially when you all have your own stories worry about. I wouldn't wantanyone to rush through it either. I'll just keep revising it and submit what I can and hope for the best.

george nik.

Postby george nik. » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:42 pm

Imagination Vortex wrote:I know it's close to the Q2 deadline and I wouldn't feel right asking anyone to critique my story now, especially when you all have your own stories worry about. I wouldn't wantanyone to rush through it either. I'll just keep revising it and submit what I can and hope for the best.

That's understandable. You could check out this board, however, where a lot of people are willing to swap stories just before the deadline. Even a quick crit might be heplful.
George Nikolopoulos
WOTF: 1 SF, 1 SHM, 4 HM
Fiction (EN): 43 stories sold, 29 published
Fiction (GR): c.10 stories published & a children’s novel
Amazon Page

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:46 pm

Imagination Vortex wrote:I know it's close to the Q2 deadline and I wouldn't feel right asking anyone to critique my story now, especially when you all have your own stories worry about. I wouldn't wantanyone to rush through it either. I'll just keep revising it and submit what I can and hope for the best.

Never hesitate to ask IF YOU WANT TO ASK. Make sure you do it on the critique exchange forum, since that's where people will be looking.

Some of us got our submissions in weeks or months ago. That doesn't mean we're not busy, but we may have time.

No one will ever be offended if you ask for a critique. They may be too busy, but they won't be offended. That's what the critique exchange forum is for.

If you don't want to ask, that's your business. But we have advice around here: "Never self-reject." In other words, instead of saying, "The editor will hate this," let the editor decide. Similarly, never self-decline critiques. We're here to help. Really. We're sad, sick individuals with no other light in our lives except helping each other here.

(OK, maybe I laid it on a LITTLE too thickly there...)

NNiNN

Imagination Vortex

Postby Imagination Vortex » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:52 pm

You're right, I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask. I'll start a thread there and see if anyone can look at my story, even if it's just to give me a small crit. Any kind of help would be great. wotf011

Michael Kingswood

Postby Michael Kingswood » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:15 pm

Hi everybody,

I've been lurking for a while but I figured it was time to say hi. So...hi!

A bit about me. I'm 36 years old, married with 3.3 kids (#4 is due in September); our oldest is 4 and a half. So we're a little busy at home. :) My bachelors is in Mechanical Engineering with a minor in Astronomy. I also hold a Master Engineering Management and an MBA. I'm a Lieutenant Commander in the US Navy. Submarines were my specialty for the last 14 years but these days I've moved on to an education and training focus. That means I'm not spending very much time at sea anymore, more's the pity. But that also leaves me more time to write, so that's cool.

I only started writing seriously about 16 months ago. Over the years I'd thought it would be cool to write a book or six, but mostly those thoughts were something along the lines of, "How cool would it be to be Robert Jordan?" I decided to just put up or shut up during the Christmas holiday in 2010. Since then I've written two novels, 4 novelettes, and a number of short stories. I'm halfway through a third novel and have about 9,000 words written toward a fourth. Plus, I got an Honorable Mention in this contest! So it was a good first year. :) I'm working hard to make year 2 even better. :)

Yeah, that's about it. Best of luck to everyone. :)

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:20 pm

Kevin Ikenberry wrote:Hi everyone,

My name is Kevin Ikenberry and I'm a science fiction writer. I've been fortunate enough to actually sell a short story last year and I've finished my first novel and trying to find a home for it now.

In Q4 of last year I entered the contest for the first time and received an Honorable Mention for a novelette I wrote about the first team to climb Olympus Mons called "Ascent." It's taken me a while to get to the blog, but I'm glad I'm here!

Kevin

wotf015 Just catching up with old posts.
My Q4 was about the first team to climb Olympus Mons too. It won an HM as well. Maybe that's why. wotf019 It also wasn't very good though... But fun to write. wotf024
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:07 pm

Welcome aboard, Michael! With your background, I expected another Hard SF junkie. But heck, Robert Jordan fans are just as good.

NNiNN

morshana

Postby morshana » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:48 pm

Welcome, Michael!
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

Kary English

Postby Kary English » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:56 pm

A hearty welcome to all of the new-comers.

*distributes helmets and flak jackets*

Brownies, tequila and root beer floats are being served down in the Q1 Jibber Jabber thread. Best you'll get here in the welcome wagon is tea and cookies. Keep your head down if you venture out. It's rejection season, so the Q1 thread is a hot zone.
WOTF: 1 HM, 1 Semi, 2 Finalists, 1 Winner
Q2,V31 - Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!
Flight of the Kikayon at the Grantville Gazette
Totaled (revised HM) in issue #9 of Mike Resnick's Galaxy's Edge
Departure Gate 34B at DSF

Michael Kingswood

Postby Michael Kingswood » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:18 am

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:Welcome aboard, Michael! With your background, I expected another Hard SF junkie. But heck, Robert Jordan fans are just as good.

LOL I love me some SciFi as well, don't worry. That said The Hobbit is one of the first books I recall reading, back in grade school. I grew up on Dungeons and Dragons, Voltron, Star Wars, and Star Trek (my folks took me to the theater to see Star Wars when it first came out...I was 3 at the time, but I still remember bits and pieces from that trip. The scene when the Sandpeople beat up Luke was particularly scary, as I recall). Oh! And The Greatest American Hero. Remember that one? I loved that show, at least partially because I have curly blond hair just like that guy. :)

Solanavi77

Postby Solanavi77 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:15 am

Hey Everyone,

I've stalked this board for a few months now. I think I should finally register and whatnot. My name is David. Like many of you, I have a healthy stock of rejections (currently, 21) since I started submitting to magazines in November. I've entered the contest twice before and just submitted another story yesterday. As Booker DeWitt says in the upcoming Bioshock Infinite game: "Nothing ventured, nothing gained."

Lets see, what else...

My favorite author is probably Philip K. Dick. My stories are heavily influenced by Dick. Though I am trying to write stories not so "downbeat" (Which is hard, actually. I love downbeat endings. Oh well).

Oh, I like to talk in anachronisms, so be prepared for that.

Cheers!
David
"I'm your Huckleberry" -Doc Holiday, from Tombstone

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:20 am

Welcome aboard, David! 21 rejections since November means AT LEAST 21 submissions since November. That's a pace I envy!

NNiNN

Solanavi77

Postby Solanavi77 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:25 am

Well Martin, when Clarkesworld and Lightspeed usually respond within 2-3 days, it's easy to rack up the rejections. wotf019

Plus, the short Daily Science Fiction stories can be written and revised in an hour or 2. I usually have 4 or 5 stories out at a time. Oh well. You win some and you lose some. Wish I would win some wotf004

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:31 pm

Michael Kingswood wrote:Hi everybody,

I've been lurking for a while but I figured it was time to say hi. So...hi!

A bit about me. I'm 36 years old, married with 3.3 kids (#4 is due in September); our oldest is 4 and a half. So we're a little busy at home. :) My bachelors is in Mechanical Engineering with a minor in Astronomy. I also hold a Master Engineering Management and an MBA. I'm a Lieutenant Commander in the US Navy. Submarines were my specialty for the last 14 years but these days I've moved on to an education and training focus. That means I'm not spending very much time at sea anymore, more's the pity. But that also leaves me more time to write, so that's cool.

I only started writing seriously about 16 months ago. Over the years I'd thought it would be cool to write a book or six, but mostly those thoughts were something along the lines of, "How cool would it be to be Robert Jordan?" I decided to just put up or shut up during the Christmas holiday in 2010. Since then I've written two novels, 4 novelettes, and a number of short stories. I'm halfway through a third novel and have about 9,000 words written toward a fourth. Plus, I got an Honorable Mention in this contest! So it was a good first year. :) I'm working hard to make year 2 even better. :)

Yeah, that's about it. Best of luck to everyone. :)

Sorry I'm a bit late to the party, but welcome aboard, Michael. It's good to see another current/former military officer plugging away at the contest. Like you, I also have 3 kids and am 36. How weird is that?
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8
Stories sold: 34 original stories and 6 reprints
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can purchase a copy of my anthology at Amazon or Smashwords.

morshana

Postby morshana » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:01 pm

Hi David! Welcome aboard!
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:08 pm

hazlett wrote:Sorry I'm a bit late to the party...

Never apologize for not obsessively following the forums. Some of us could learn from your example.

[Pot, kettle, insert cliche here]

NNiNN

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:44 pm

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:
hazlett wrote:Sorry I'm a bit late to the party...

Never apologize for not obsessively following the forums. Some of us could learn from your example.

[Pot, kettle, insert cliche here]

Oh, but I am obsessively following them. I just have to wait until I get home from work before I post on them.

I also obsessively follow Duotrope (and was there when it crashed yesterday).

NEED...TO...FINISH...2Q29 SUBMISSION....Arrgh!
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8
Stories sold: 34 original stories and 6 reprints
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can purchase a copy of my anthology at Amazon or Smashwords.

Solanavi77

Postby Solanavi77 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:39 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome, cats and dolls. Rock on.

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”