Can I get a Round of Applause for the Next Asimov? LOL

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
BigMike

Can I get a Round of Applause for the Next Asimov? LOL

Postby BigMike » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:58 am

wotf019 Hey all, I'm a newbie here! I was advised to check this contest out based on a short I have posted on a writing website (Scribophile). My story is Space Opera with a fairly strong emphasis on the God idea. So how does the Hubbard contest view Christian SF? Just wondering. I'd love to get my short published in this contest! Ultimately, my goal is to use this "short story" as the first two chapters of a novel. I believe it'll work because the story does have a solid beginning, middle, and end, but it's kinda YA and it'd be easy to track the MC's journey through the "Spacer Guild."

Thanks for the welcoming committee!

* bows, steps offstage to return to the "writing lair" *

disgruntledpeony

Re: Can I get a Round of Applause for the Next Asimov? LOL

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:31 am

First thing's first: It's generally not a good idea to discuss one's story openly on the forum, because this contest is anonymous and having one's story identified could result in being disqualified.

That said, welcome to the forum. wotf008 I'm not sure how the contest views religion in relation to science fiction; it's entirely possible that varies from judge to judge.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, F, R
2018: HM, ?

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:19 pm

I think discussions of faith are plenty fair game. Bear in mind that whilst LRH is obviously associated with Scientology, Dave Farland is a Mormon and Tim Powers is a Catholic, and the other judges run the gamut all the way to atheism too. Same as anything: treat the topic with respect and you should be fine.
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

pcmccollum

Postby pcmccollum » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:50 am

Firstly, welcome to the contest! Glad to hear that you're putting something together for it.

Now, on to your question: I think so long as your story is just that, and not a poorly crafted attempt at preaching (and I believe this applies to ALL things 'controversial'--politics, dietary preference, Star Wars vs. Star Trek wotf007 etc.), you can get away with pretty much anything. If you can make the reader care about the characters, the choices they face, and so on...then I say all's well that tells well.
V34-Q4: HM, V35-Q1: HM, V35-Q2: SF
---
“If you hide your ignorance, no one will hit you and you'll never learn.” ― Ray Bradbury
Follow my attempt at 52 short stories in 52 weeks - https://phillipmccollum.com/52-short-stories-in-52-weeks/

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”