Discussion - Q2 - Volume 35

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
morganb

Re: Discussion - Q2 - Volume 35

Postby morganb » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:43 am

bobsandiego wrote:And the word is - nope.
I did not win but I am not depressed. Coming this far on a story I fully would not expect to strike's Dave's fancy is a good feeling all on its own.

Sorry you didn't win. But at least as a finalist, your story is publishable, so you should have no trouble finding a professional home for it now!

~Morgan
"If you can do it for joy, you can do it forever."
- Stephen King

Drop me a line at https://morganbroadhead.com

HM x 1
R x 4

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:38 am

Sorry you didn't win Bob.

bobsandiego wrote:Coming this far on a story I fully would not expect to strike's Dave's fancy is a good feeling all on its own.

After reading the latest anthology I don't think there is one style story Dave is looking for.

A lot of diversity in this edition.

Write what you like and send it in.
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

YM Pang

Postby YM Pang » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:26 pm

I did not win but I am not depressed. Coming this far on a story I fully would not expect to strike's Dave's fancy is a good feeling all on its own.

Commiserations. I feel like we're all fairly poor judges of "what strikes Dave's fancy"; things we send with high hopes end up with a form reject, while things we throw into the portal last minute can end up placing.

Echoing what Morgan said--submit the story elsewhere! Don't sit on it for four years like... somebody... did...
Michelle Pang
http://www.ympang.com
1xFinalist, 10xHM

"Subtle Ways Each Time" in Escape Pod.
"The Palace of the Silver Dragon" in Strange Horizons.

bobsandiego

Postby bobsandiego » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:17 pm

YM Pang wrote:

Commiserations. I feel like we're all fairly poor judges of "what strikes Dave's fancy"; things we send with high hopes end up with a form reject, while things we throw into the portal last minute can end up placing.

Echoing what Morgan said--submit the story elsewhere! Don't sit on it for four years like... somebody... did...

Joni asked if they could hold the piece as a potential published finalist and I of course said yes, so we'll see about that and of course that means I don't send it around.
It's short just 3500 words and so I expect it has a decent shot.
Literary saboteur
Blog: http://www.robertmitchellevans.com/
HM X 5
SF X 3
F X 1
Current Rejection Streak: 0

YM Pang

Postby YM Pang » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:24 pm

Oh, in that case, wait a little while. :) Write something else in the meantime.
Michelle Pang
1xFinalist, 10xHM

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:47 am

Very sorry for you, Bob. Glad you aren't feeling down about it and are looking for the silver lining. It's an amazing honor to make Finalist considering the number of entries (likely three thousand or more each quarter), and the worldwide scope of talent. Let's face it, you are competing with many professional writers in the mix that just haven't earned their pro wings yet, but are about to. Here's to you selling it elsewhere, or selling it to WOTF as a published Finalist!

Fortune favor the brave.

~Moon~

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:53 am

And yeah, I'd hold off sending it elsewhere as well, on the chance it might be picked up as a published finalist. That's a nice consolation prize! With extra bonuses you won't get elsewhere.

preston

Postby preston » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:09 am

Next time, Bob! Best of luck on getting published finalist.

BTW, the WOTF blog is up with the list of winners, finalists, semis and SHMs and HMs.
Looks like more than 150 HMs. Must've been a big quarter.
Here's the link:

https://www.writersofthefuture.com/writers-of-the-future-contest-2nd-quarter-2018-winners/

SueD

Postby SueD » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:41 pm

I am super excited to get an honorable mention! It's so awesome to know that 1. David Farland actually liked my story enough to read it all the way through and 2. he deemed it worthy of an honorable mention! I remember struggling to write that story starting over a year ago. The ideas were good, but my writing was so clunky. It was like going on a road trip with interesting companions to amazing destinations but you were in a rusty Yugo instead of a nice BMW sedan.

But after struggling with it, reading about how to write, reading other people's fiction with a critical eye to learn from them, getting some great advice from other writers, and refusing to give up, it finally all came together!

It goes to show that wherever you start from, if you refuse to give up and keep an open mind, you can get there eventually. I felt/still feel like one of those artists who draws variations on the same form over and over and over trying to get it to come out right. I thought I must be slow because a lot of standard writing advice is to just stop obsessing and futzing about and crank out x words per day until you finish. Other people seemed able to do it, so why couldn't I?

But I made my goal instead learning how to write better and measured progress not in pages produced or documents published but in whether my writing seemed to be actually getting better. I was pretty sure I was getting better, but it is so great to get this, my first external validation, that I actually am.

Some cool things I learned along the way that might be helpful to others:

1.Two years ago, I was dead sure I had zero talent for elegant writing and descriptions. Then I found a lit professor's article that said very few people are born with the ability to write eloquently but that most writers could get surprisingly far by faking it. Faking it I could do. When I wrote something horribly awkward, I asked myself if I were reading this in a novel published by a professional author, what would they have written? Eventually, after much practice, I have learned how to do it myself instead of having to imagine someone else writing it.

2. I saw a talk by Joe Ide, the author of IQ, in which he said that (paraphrasing from memory, I probably have the details wrong)
If person A is pushing person B off a rooftop: What does person A feel when they see person B? Does person A hesitate or do they just run up and shove B off? And how does person A feel afterwards about the act and about person B? Those remarks gave me the key to revamping my writing which felt like an uninspired laundry list of Person A did this, Person A did that. By considering what my characters were thinking and how they went about doing things, and then writing about what they felt and did, my prose got much better.

3. If you can find a talented* person to read your work and you give them something you think is perfect only to have them give you a list of things that don't work or are missing, you should think about it awhile before you reject it out of hand. I saved a copy of my original and then set about trying their suggestions to see if they would work (i.e. I decided to just assume they were right and then set about the difficult task of actually making their suggestion work). I figured that it might take several hours, but if they were wrong I could always just cut and paste the original text back in, so I had nothing to lose. It turned out after a sincere effort that the person helping me was too talented and most of the time they were right and I was wrong :).
* (Not just anyone's suggestions though. You have to have a filter and only trust people whom you think are actually good. Think about the advice like dinner conversations: sometimes people give thoughtful responses, sometimes they just want to rip things up to feel superior, and sometimes they are not thinking and say something flippant).

Thank you so much David Farland and everyone else at WOTF! It must be a huge effort to put on the contest and I appreciate it so much. Joni Labaqui, thank you so much for the certificate! I love it, it’s so pretty!

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:03 pm

Congrats on the HM SueD wotf010 . Hang it on the wall over your writing station, with room for the next one of course. May your next story be even better.
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

pcmccollum

Postby pcmccollum » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:15 pm

SueD! Congratulations on the HM! wotf010 Isn't that such a cool feeling knowing Dave read it all the way through? Thanks for sharing everything you learned, especially the great advice on viewing everything through the opinion of the characters. That's super important for interesting writing.

Hope you've already started on the next story to submit!

-Phillip
V34-Q4: HM, V35-Q1: HM, V35-Q2: SF, V35-Q3: R
---
“If you hide your ignorance, no one will hit you and you'll never learn.” ― Ray Bradbury

YM Pang

Postby YM Pang » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:39 pm

Congrats on the HM, Sue! It's really a special feeling, that first one. Thank you for sharing all the excellent advice.
Michelle Pang
1xFinalist, 10xHM

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:43 am

Very nice share, Sue! Congratulations on your well earned certificate! It's a signpost you are on the path to becoming a professionally published writer! And thanks for sharing the tips that helped you grow. Those are always valuable, as they can shave years off the learning curve for others.

Keep writing. Keep sending.

~Moon~

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”