Fairy Tale Rewrite

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
thegreengreatdragon

Fairy Tale Rewrite

Postby thegreengreatdragon » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:08 am

Maybe this is a silly question, but I'm new here.
Do you guys think a fairy tale rewrite would be well-received? It wouldn't be a straight rewrite or taking a fairy tale and putting it in a new setting or something. It would be tweaking the basic premise of the story just a little bit and then expanding it. I have other story ideas, but this is the one i'm most excited about at the moment.

RSchibler

Re: Fairy Tale Rewrite

Postby RSchibler » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:57 am

I asked a similar question recently (retellings is the thread name) and the general consensus was that while it might be a hard sell for various reasons, anything can work if it’s done well enough. I personally decided to set aside my retelling idea in favor of something else.
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: Q2 R, Q3 HM, Q4 R
Vol35: Q1 HM, Q2 R, Q3 R, Q4 pending

Blogging about my writing journey at: http://www.rebeccaetreasure.com/blog

morganb

Postby morganb » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:24 pm

Gregory Maguire made quite a successful career from his fairy tale retellings (Wicked, Leaping Beauty, Mirror Mirror, Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister, etc.) I think the real key is: what new twist can you give the story to make it fresh and different? Making only a few small tweaks to the original might not be enough to convince a reader — who is already familiar with the tale — to dive in.

~Morgan
"If you can do it for joy, you can do it forever."
- Stephen King

Infrequent posts about this whole writing experience thing...http://mbroadhead.blogspot.com/

HM x 1
R x 4

thegreengreatdragon

Postby thegreengreatdragon » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:22 pm

Thanks for the input, guys! And thanks for the heads up--I found the "retellings" thread, which was also helpful.
While I still might write the story for fun or for submission elsewhere, I wonder if it might be better to submit something different for this particular contest. As you guys mentioned, it would need to be really well-done, maybe with a fresher take than I've got right now, and I don't think I'm quite there yet.

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”