Contest Questions

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.

Contest Questions

Postby manchowder1 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:46 am

A couple questions on the contest:

1. It says that a writer cannot have more than 3 pro publications (pro being 6 cents per word or more) to enter. However, can you submit a story that was previously published in a semi pro market? (1 cent per word?) (or even a pro market - not that I have any :))

2. The contest rules mention no song lyrics. Im assuming this is exact quotes, but can song lyrics be referenced, IE 'Shinedown dared me to...'

Re: Contest Questions

Postby amoskalik » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:07 am

1. No, they want only unpublished stories to be entered. That also means you should not submit a story that you self-published or posted to your website, blog, etc. The rule you are referencing is regarding author eligibility. If you publish four or more short stories in pro markets, then you have pro'd out of the contest (always best to check with Joni first when this happens as there is some gray area on this one).

2. Publishing stories with song lyrics creates tricky copyright issues that they wish to avoid. Not just this contest, but most publishers find this a headache they can do without,so if you include lyrics in your story, be aware that you are limiting your prospects. Referring to them obliquely, as opposed to straight up quoting them, is probably less troublesome, but I'm no expert and can't say for sure. Perhaps someone else can comment on that.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

Re: Contest Questions

Postby kentagions » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:37 am

Hi manchowder1,
Rule #3 states the answer to both questions:
All entries must be original works by the entrant, in English. Plagiarism, which includes the use of third-party poetry, song lyrics, characters or another person’s universe, without written permission, will result in disqualification. Excessive violence or sex, determined by the judges, will result in disqualification. Entries may not have been previously published in professional media.

Professional publication includes any remuneration of any kind for publication (Money in any amount, copies, stock options, toaster or a lifetime supply of gum.).

Plagiarism: If you were to say that a character was humming McCartney and Lennon's Yesterday, or simply used the song title in italics, that is okay. Using someone else's lines, lyrics, text, video or pictures in a work - whether intended for resale or not - (Without express, written permission) constitutes the legal tort of plagiarism. Even similar sounding lyrics can be called into question. I do not work for WotF, but I can assure you that all members of the staff will protect the contest from any perceived legal threat. Nobody in the industry takes a chance with any ambiguity.

Sorry if my post is perceived as unduly harsh. Plagiarism is the unpardonable sin. Don't go near it.

Good luck,

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”