Contest Questions

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Wulf Moon

Re: Contest Questions

Postby Wulf Moon » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:15 pm

Yup. Rules are rules. You want to win? Follow the guidelines. To the letter. To the number.
Wulf Moon
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Annual Critters Readers' Choice Award: First Place, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018
BlogTalk interview: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/rithebard/ ... ith-sherri

ddonche

Postby ddonche » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:28 pm

RSchibler wrote:You should send in a complete story that fits the word count. If you don't have anything that is under 17k words, either edit them down (although the closer to that limit they are, they harder of a sell they're going to be), or write something that is :)

That's sort of disheartening to hear about getting close to the limit. I normally try to stay within 8-12k on my submissions but the one I sent in was at 16.8k. I tried like hell to pare it down, whittle, chop, but in the end it was how it needed to be. I guess I'll just chew my fingernails for 3 months.
R R HM R ?
Everwind.us

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:59 pm

ddonche wrote:
RSchibler wrote:You should send in a complete story that fits the word count. If you don't have anything that is under 17k words, either edit them down (although the closer to that limit they are, they harder of a sell they're going to be), or write something that is :)

That's sort of disheartening to hear about getting close to the limit. I normally try to stay within 8-12k on my submissions but the one I sent in was at 16.8k. I tried like hell to pare it down, whittle, chop, but in the end it was how it needed to be. I guess I'll just chew my fingernails for 3 months.

Just because they're a harder sell doesn't mean that they don't win. Longer stories are a hard sell for any market.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, ?

Megan

Postby Megan » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:24 am

ddonche wrote:

Brandon Sanderson once said that before he was published he knew having long *cough, understatement* stories would be a mark against him, which meant he had to make his stories that much better than everybody else's. It obviously worked out for him.

Publishers will always choose the shorter length if they have two stories they like equally and think will serve their needs equally well. It's less risky economically since it's cheaper to publish shorter stories. I'm guessing Dave is no different when he's choosing stories for the anthology.

I've had two submissions that have pushed 17K and they've both received HMs. I think the length might have hampered their potential, but I also think if they'd blown Dave's socks off, it wouldn't have mattered.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." --Ralph Waldo Emerson.
HM—2

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:12 am

Yes, definitely. A harder sell doesn't mean impossible - it just raises the bar a bit because all things being equal, editors are likely to choose shorter stories. Write your story. If it's 19k, this just isn't the right market for you - that doesn't mean the story is necessarily flawed.
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: R, HM, R
Vol35: HM, R, R, HM
Vol36: pending

ALWAYS available for critiques. PM me.

SCAFontaine

Postby SCAFontaine » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:11 am

It would be an interesting to know what the average and median winning story length is, since Dave took over as 1st judge... Any one ventured that far into the contest's statistics?

writer503

Postby writer503 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:06 pm

Are simultaneous submissions allowed by Writers of the Future? That is, can you submit the same story to the contest and to another publication? The contest rules page does not specifically say anything about simultaneous submissions.

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:41 pm

writer503 wrote:Are simultaneous submissions allowed by Writers of the Future? That is, can you submit the same story to the contest and to another publication? The contest rules page does not specifically say anything about simultaneous submissions.

I do not recommend simultaneous submissions. Not at all.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, ?

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:32 pm

writer503 wrote:Are simultaneous submissions allowed by Writers of the Future? That is, can you submit the same story to the contest and to another publication? The contest rules page does not specifically say anything about simultaneous submissions.

I second DisgruntledPeony. For all kinds of reasons. What if an editor says they love your story and send you a contract, and then WotF loves it to? Bad business, and bad business practice.
Wulf Moon
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Annual Critters Readers' Choice Award: First Place, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018
BlogTalk interview: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/rithebard/ ... ith-sherri

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”