Contest Questions

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
JVAshley

Re: Contest Questions

Postby JVAshley » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:49 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:If you're worried about grammar, I would personally recommend checking out Dreyer's English. It's written by the chief copy editor of Random House, and it's both educational and entertaining (at least, it was to me personally). If you don't want to buy it, you can probably find it at your local library or some such.

Just bought a copy, thank you for the recommendation. I have Strunk & White, but it is not "entertaining". Although, it is slim, succinct, and very useful.

Wulf Moon wrote:Every writer started at ZERO and worked their way up, from Tim Powers to Brandon Sanderson to Frank Herbert. It's good to remember.

Exactly This! If you are a green as a granny smith author and you are submitting short stories, you are still way ahead of those who wish they were writers but never put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) or were too timid to submit. Keep at it!

Good Luck!
~ writing about the ethereal beauty of broken things ~

1x SF | 3x HM | 4x R

jule009

Postby jule009 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:36 pm

Hi! So, maybe it says somewhere on the contest, but I'm a little confused about what to submit. I know there's a 17,000 word limit. Are we supposed to be just submitting a 17,000 word excerpt of a longer manuscript? Or, are they just looking for an under 17,000 word short story?

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:43 pm

jule009 wrote:Hi! So, maybe it says somewhere on the contest, but I'm a little confused about what to submit. I know there's a 17,000 word limit. Are we supposed to be just submitting a 17,000 word excerpt of a longer manuscript? Or, are they just looking for an under 17,000 word short story?

17,000 words is the maximum word count the contest allows you to submit for a story submission. Anything under is fine. And it must be a stand alone story, not a novel excerpt. You can use a chapter from your novel--David Farland won the contest doing that--but you have to make that chapter into a short story, because it will only be judged as a short story. That said, both David Farland and Robert Sawyer have stated it will be harder to win at that 17K word count. I did a Super Secret recently as to why. Check out that topic if you wish.

Best of success!

Moon
Wulf Moon. JOIN THE WULF PACK! http://driftweave.com
Author page: http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon
Critter Awards: BEST AUTHOR 2019 & 2020 BEST SF&F STORY 2018, 2019, 2020
“Muzik Man" wins Best SF&F Story of 2020 https://bit.ly/34M9BTp

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:30 am

Stupid Super Simple Question: Italicize or Underline? wotf017

SFWA guidelines say to underline when something should be italicized or bolded or any other odd font. I have always followed these guidelines when submitting to SFF markets, but the YA agents I have heard are saying just italicize it. In a seminar, Dave even mentioned his editors are now fine with italicizing.

I know this does not work well with COURIER font, but it does with TIMES NEW ROMAN. I also only used Courier in the past, in case the editor was part of the Old Guard, but I am trying to adapt to the new best practices. (like one space after a period--please don't shoot me over this)

1x SF | 3x HM | 4x R

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:18 am

JVAshley wrote: (like one space after a period--please don't shoot me over this)

Glad someone else had this issue. I'm a lawyer by training and the convention in that world is still two spaces. I had to undo 25 years of habit.
36: R, R, R, SHM
37: R, HM, R, HM
38 ?

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:24 am

JVAshley wrote:Stupid Super Simple Question: Italicize or Underline? wotf017

SFWA guidelines say to underline when something should be italicized or bolded or any other odd font. I have always followed these guidelines when submitting to SFF markets, but the YA agents I have heard are saying just italicize it. In a seminar, Dave even mentioned his editors are now fine with italicizing.

I know this does not work well with COURIER font, but it does with TIMES NEW ROMAN. I also only used Courier in the past, in case the editor was part of the Old Guard, but I am trying to adapt to the new best practices. (like one space after a period--please don't shoot me over this)

Yeah, I had to learn one space after periods, not two. It was VERY hard to unlearn. : )

Italics are correct now, not underlining. Saves their copyeditors work converting those back. And Times New Roman is acceptable, but Old Guard editors often don't like it because it's harder to spot errors in Times, unlike monospaced fonts like Courier, and the text is smaller as well. I know Dave likes Courier, as do I. 12 pt. Times New Roman is hard on those of us squinting through bifocals and readers, even though it may look purdy. wotf013

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:37 am

Thank You
I just wanted to double check. I try to tailor the formatting to the preferences of the agent/editor to which I am sending it. And I don't want to stress Dave's eyes while he reads my entry.
wotf001

1x SF | 3x HM | 4x R

babooher

Postby babooher » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:43 am

Do you have to be 18 in order to enter the contest?

TimE

Postby TimE » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:06 am

babooher wrote:Do you have to be 18 in order to enter the contest?

Marilyn Guttridge won aged 17 competing against writers of all ages see https://www.prweb.com/releases/lronhubb ... s%2C%20Inc.
Some HMs More Rs - I keep thinking I'm getting closer, but perhaps not.
CWA-Debut Dagger shortlist. https://thecwa.co.uk/colours/ (Still trying to find my genre - but perhaps it's scifi - and perhaps it's not)

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:28 am

Alice Wang, the Ilustrators of the Future winner that illustrated my “Super Duper Moongirl and the Amazing Moon Dawdler” story, was seventeen when she won. There are no age limits on the contests.

pdblake

Postby pdblake » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:32 am

Wulf Moon wrote:Alice Wang, the Ilustrators of the Future winner that illustrated my “Super Duper Moongirl and the Amazing Moon Dawdler” story, was seventeen when she won. There are no age limits on the contests.

Just wanted to say I've just read that for the first time. It was brilliant. I'm a 50 year old man and it made me fill up.

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:47 am

pdblake wrote:
Wulf Moon wrote:Alice Wang, the Ilustrators of the Future winner that illustrated my “Super Duper Moongirl and the Amazing Moon Dawdler” story, was seventeen when she won. There are no age limits on the contests.

Just wanted to say I've just read that for the first time. It was brilliant. I'm a 50 year old man and it made me fill up.

Thanks, PD! Tim Powers loved the story, too, and he’s older than you. : ) He took me aside three times at the workshop to tell me how much he loved the story. On the last day when we said farewell, we gave each other a hug and he said, “I started reading your story again this morning, Moon.” And then, with a twinkle in his eye, “I want to figure out how you did it.”

Tim Powers has been my writing hero for decades. To have him say that about a story I wrote? You can keep my trophy.

May WotF make such magic happen for you!

All the beast!

Wulf Moon

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:06 am

One of V37's winners is, in fact, not going to be 18 yet when we get to the gala in September! Youngest winner in contest history.
WOTF: HM x 16, SHMx2, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3, V36 Q1
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist
3rd place V37 Q1!

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:47 pm

KD Julicher wrote:

One of V37's winners is, in fact, not going to be 18 yet when we get to the gala in September! Youngest winner in contest history.

So... the question is, were they born before or after I started entering the contest? wotf019
2x Finalist
2x Semi
4x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. 1 of 3 DSF: Short Stories. My Finalist #1 Finalist #2 coming soon

TimE

Postby TimE » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:02 am

Dustin Adams wrote:So... the question is, were they born before or after I started entering the contest? wotf019

Born in a different century to you Bam-Bam.
Some HMs More Rs - I keep thinking I'm getting closer, but perhaps not.
CWA-Debut Dagger shortlist. https://thecwa.co.uk/colours/ (Still trying to find my genre - but perhaps it's scifi - and perhaps it's not)

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:23 am

Noice. wotf013
2x Finalist
2x Semi
4x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. 1 of 3 DSF: Short Stories. My Finalist #1 Finalist #2 coming soon

Donovan Cedars

Postby Donovan Cedars » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:06 pm

Absolute newbie here, so if this is a silly question, I blame it on that. wotf001

I got an HM on my contest entry and it feels like quite the badge of honor! Getting the physical HM certificate in the mail was a legitimate surprise; I would have been perfectly satisfied with a digital file that I could print myself, but it looks like this contest is definitely a cut above. My question is one of etiquette; how ok is it to announce/ leverage that story and the HM it won?

For example, if I was shopping the story around for publication, would it be permissible to note that it won a WotF honorable mention or is that frowned upon? Or maybe if I were to decide to self-publish a short story collection, would it be ok to state in the blurb which of the stories won HM (and hopefully as time goes on, even higher)? I don't have any immediate plans to do much with the story; just curious as to what my options going forward might be.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the answers! The contest is such a beautiful concept; I don't want to step on anyone's toes if I can help it.

Reuben

Postby Reuben » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:26 pm

The general consensus is: for pro or semipro paying markets do not mention it, especially if this is the story. For lower markets, think about mentioning that you have *gotten* an HM in the contest, but not that this is the story, because it just means you've been rejected. For token, non-paying markets, anything goes; follow your gut. (I believe there's at least one old thread that talks about this, I'll see if I can find it.)

For self-publishing, certainly mention it -- what do you have to lose?

Edit: Found it
Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. ~ Winston Churchill
V. 37: R, R, R, HM
V. 38: ?,

Donovan Cedars

Postby Donovan Cedars » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:46 pm

Reuben wrote:The general consensus is: for pro or semipro paying markets do not mention it, especially if this is the story. For lower markets, think about mentioning that you have *gotten* an HM in the contest, but not that this is the story, because it just means you've been rejected. For token, non-paying markets, anything goes; follow your gut. (I believe there's at least one old thread that talks about this, I'll see if I can find it.)

For self-publishing, certainly mention it -- what do you have to lose?

Edit: Found it

All good things to know! I don't imagine I'll be anything close to pro or semipro for quite some time, but there are some good points made in that thread that make me think I'll play it close to the vest anyway.

I have about a billion other questions about the lay of things, but I imagine I'll take a deeper dive into the treasure trove of threads here before I bog the boards down too much.

In any case, thanks for being patient with the newbie! wotf009

Reuben

Postby Reuben » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:54 pm

's pleasure! wotf011
Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. ~ Winston Churchill
V. 37: R, R, R, HM
V. 38: ?,

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:29 am

I agree with Reuben.

When I was sending out my finalists I mentioned I'd been a finalist. Even then I didn't say - this - story was the finalist. But before that I didn't mention the HMs. If an editor is at all familiar with this contest, they know the finalist is a story that was chosen for the anthology, but the judges picked a different story. So while it's a rejection, it's also not. Ish.

So, keep writing and submitting until you get that finalist. And if you're lucky, you'll only need one. ;)
2x Finalist
2x Semi
4x Silver
9x HM

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”