Contest Questions

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
JVAshley

Re: Contest Questions

Postby JVAshley » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:49 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:If you're worried about grammar, I would personally recommend checking out Dreyer's English. It's written by the chief copy editor of Random House, and it's both educational and entertaining (at least, it was to me personally). If you don't want to buy it, you can probably find it at your local library or some such.

Just bought a copy, thank you for the recommendation. I have Strunk & White, but it is not "entertaining". Although, it is slim, succinct, and very useful.

Wulf Moon wrote:Every writer started at ZERO and worked their way up, from Tim Powers to Brandon Sanderson to Frank Herbert. It's good to remember.

Exactly This! If you are a green as a granny smith author and you are submitting short stories, you are still way ahead of those who wish they were writers but never put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) or were too timid to submit. Keep at it!

Good Luck!
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

jule009

Postby jule009 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:36 pm

Hi! So, maybe it says somewhere on the contest, but I'm a little confused about what to submit. I know there's a 17,000 word limit. Are we supposed to be just submitting a 17,000 word excerpt of a longer manuscript? Or, are they just looking for an under 17,000 word short story?

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:43 pm

jule009 wrote:Hi! So, maybe it says somewhere on the contest, but I'm a little confused about what to submit. I know there's a 17,000 word limit. Are we supposed to be just submitting a 17,000 word excerpt of a longer manuscript? Or, are they just looking for an under 17,000 word short story?

17,000 words is the maximum word count the contest allows you to submit for a story submission. Anything under is fine. And it must be a stand alone story, not a novel excerpt. You can use a chapter from your novel--David Farland won the contest doing that--but you have to make that chapter into a short story, because it will only be judged as a short story. That said, both David Farland and Robert Sawyer have stated it will be harder to win at that 17K word count. I did a Super Secret recently as to why. Check out that topic if you wish.

Best of success!

Moon
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Critters Readers Award: #1, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018
NEW! "Weep No More..." DEEP MAGIC Fall 2019 http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:30 am

Stupid Super Simple Question: Italicize or Underline? wotf017

SFWA guidelines say to underline when something should be italicized or bolded or any other odd font. I have always followed these guidelines when submitting to SFF markets, but the YA agents I have heard are saying just italicize it. In a seminar, Dave even mentioned his editors are now fine with italicizing.

I know this does not work well with COURIER font, but it does with TIMES NEW ROMAN. I also only used Courier in the past, in case the editor was part of the Old Guard, but I am trying to adapt to the new best practices. (like one space after a period--please don't shoot me over this)
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:18 am

JVAshley wrote: (like one space after a period--please don't shoot me over this)

Glad someone else had this issue. I'm a lawyer by training and the convention in that world is still two spaces. I had to undo 25 years of habit.
36 R,R,R, SHM

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:24 am

JVAshley wrote:Stupid Super Simple Question: Italicize or Underline? wotf017

SFWA guidelines say to underline when something should be italicized or bolded or any other odd font. I have always followed these guidelines when submitting to SFF markets, but the YA agents I have heard are saying just italicize it. In a seminar, Dave even mentioned his editors are now fine with italicizing.

I know this does not work well with COURIER font, but it does with TIMES NEW ROMAN. I also only used Courier in the past, in case the editor was part of the Old Guard, but I am trying to adapt to the new best practices. (like one space after a period--please don't shoot me over this)

Yeah, I had to learn one space after periods, not two. It was VERY hard to unlearn. : )

Italics are correct now, not underlining. Saves their copyeditors work converting those back. And Times New Roman is acceptable, but Old Guard editors often don't like it because it's harder to spot errors in Times, unlike monospaced fonts like Courier, and the text is smaller as well. I know Dave likes Courier, as do I. 12 pt. Times New Roman is hard on those of us squinting through bifocals and readers, even though it may look purdy. wotf013
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Critters Readers Award: #1, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018
NEW! "Weep No More..." DEEP MAGIC Fall 2019 http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:37 am

Thank You
I just wanted to double check. I try to tailor the formatting to the preferences of the agent/editor to which I am sending it. And I don't want to stress Dave's eyes while he reads my entry.
wotf001
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”