Discussion: Q3 Volume 35

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Dustin Adams

Discussion: Q3 Volume 35

Postby Dustin Adams » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:32 pm

Q3, 2018 - Volume 35

April 1, 2018 - June 30, 2018
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

disgruntledpeony

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 35

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:41 pm

...Well, crap.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:10 pm

For about an hour I felt ahead of things. So, you know, thanks.
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: R, HM, R
Vol35: HM, R, R, HM

Blogging about my writing journey at: http://www.rebeccaetreasure.com/blog

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:44 pm

On the bright side, I have half an idea for a story. Just need to figure out the missing bits. XD
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:09 pm

INSPIRATION HAS STRUCK.

Okay, really, what happened is that I accidentally left my phone on the kitchen table today instead of taking it with me to work, so I was bored on my lunch break and ended up figuring out how to start writing a story I've been trying to puzzle out for months.

The moral of this story: I need to spend less time on my phone. wotf019

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:28 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:The moral of this story: I need to spend less time on my phone. wotf019

Seriously, though! I've recently taken up walking every day, and I don't use my phone, I don't have the internet, and I don't even listen to music. It's amazing what a brain will do when it doesn't have other things taking up its bandwidth.

wotf015
Rebecca Birch
Finalist - 2, SF - 1, SHM - 1, HM - 18, R - 6
Words of Birch
Short Story Collection--Life Out of Harmony and Other Tales of Wonder

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:31 pm

Rebecca Birch wrote:
disgruntledpeony wrote:The moral of this story: I need to spend less time on my phone. wotf019

Seriously, though! I've recently taken up walking every day, and I don't use my phone, I don't have the internet, and I don't even listen to music. It's amazing what a brain will do when it doesn't have other things taking up its bandwidth.

wotf015

Trust me, I get it. wotf008

jficke13

Postby jficke13 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:41 pm

+1 sometimes I drive in silence and just... think... let the mind go places. Who knows what you might find.
HM x2, Vol. 34 Q4 - 3rd. http://www.jonficke.com

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:26 pm

Hits the alarm...with one of those Harley Quin sledge hammers.

"GROUNDHOG DAY! Here we are again!"

pcmccollum

Postby pcmccollum » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:19 pm

Wulf Moon wrote:Hits the alarm...with one of those Harley Quin sledge hammers.

"GROUNDHOG DAY! Here we are again!"

*cue Sonny and Cher music* <-- Hopefully someone gets this. Otherwise, wotf017 .
1x SF
2x HM
2x R
---
“If you hide your ignorance, no one will hit you and you'll never learn.” ― Ray Bradbury

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:45 am

I got it!!
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

pcmccollum

Postby pcmccollum » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:13 am

Dustin Adams wrote:I got it!!

wotf010
1x SF
2x HM
2x R
---
“If you hide your ignorance, no one will hit you and you'll never learn.” ― Ray Bradbury

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:14 pm

I got it. And then the next day, I got it. And then the next day, I got it. And then the next day, I got it. And then the next day...

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:11 pm

Okay, I'll be doing it. And I think the story has been written already. A new one, never sent out.

I said I think because I still will be writing short stories and its possible that I will write one I I like better before the middle of June.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

AmytheAuthor

Postby AmytheAuthor » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:39 pm

At a workshop, Dave and his son (cannot remember his name) discussed creating anchors. I picked up swimming in January and of course -didn't have my phone. So, my mind wandered all on its own... Then I started anticipating it and thinking intentionally of scenes I wanted to figure out or questions i wanted answered...

Results were awesome. So when I got the chance to escape my humans, I took my laptop to the pool and pounded out 3,000 words in 3 hours.

Now to get an indoor pool and patrons to make noise in my backyard...

Exercise also helps the brain perform better.

So maybe a good q3 goal is to leave the phone and exercise more? ;)
Constantly writing in my mind, rarely getting it typed up.
Q1 35: R Q3 35:
. wotf052

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:57 am

AmytheAuthor wrote:At a workshop, Dave and his son (cannot remember his name) discussed creating anchors. I picked up swimming in January and of course -didn't have my phone. So, my mind wandered all on its own... Then I started anticipating it and thinking intentionally of scenes I wanted to figure out or questions i wanted answered...

Results were awesome. So when I got the chance to escape my humans, I took my laptop to the pool and pounded out 3,000 words in 3 hours.

Now to get an indoor pool and patrons to make noise in my backyard...

Exercise also helps the brain perform better.

So maybe a good q3 goal is to leave the phone and exercise more? ;)

I actually worked this into my morning routine. 1/2 hour on the treadmill listening to books on tape. Take shower while thinking about my WIP. Sit down and write for an hour.

My creative mind works best in the morning, but it needs to be fully awake. The exercise does that. The books on tape gives it something other than my WIP to chew on while it's waking up. It also feeds ideas for future stories.

I wish I could bang out 3000 words though. I'm lucky to get 300.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R R R R HM

AmytheAuthor

Postby AmytheAuthor » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:22 am

Oh yes, it was rare for me, first time it happened. Developing an anchor and getting ideas built up did that. And I got splashes on my computer to prove it. ;)

Congrats on writing each morning!

You may have a perfect storm some time too.
Constantly writing in my mind, rarely getting it typed up.
Q1 35: R Q3 35:
. wotf052

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:00 pm

AmytheAuthor wrote:. Constantly writing in my mind, rarely getting it typed up.

For years that is how I wrote. I hardly ever typed out anything. A couple(literally) of times I tried I got stuck on which way the story should go, then it became too much like work.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Wed May 02, 2018 10:31 am

Watching the gala in LA was a breath of fresh air. I have a renewed interest in writing a story to submit for this quarter.
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Thu May 03, 2018 5:15 am

LDWriter2 wrote:

For years that is how I wrote. I hardly ever typed out anything. A couple(literally) of times I tried I got stuck on which way the story should go, then it became too much like work.

The quantum theory of story telling, as soon as you write it down it collapses the wave function.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R R R R HM

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Fri May 04, 2018 1:44 am

LDWriter2 wrote:

I've started thinking in Notepad for things like this--just open up plain old Notepad and start typing to myself about what the problem is, what the options are, what are the plusses/minuses, and that usually lets me see which route interests me more--because yeah, any given story can go in dozens of directions.

So for example, these are the notes I wrote to myself for my last sale, The Bone Poet and God to the Sword & Sonnet anthology. It's about a bear climbing a mountain to seek God; bear society carves runes into the bones of living bears, and our protagonist only has 3 of her 4 carved. I knew she wanted to talk to God about it, I knew it had to be about that fourth rune, but what does she actually want to ask? What's going to be her final decision?

Is the quest to see if she can interrogate God about why she feels so lonely? The idea of a bone being uncarved by her father then going to get God to carve it then God tells her to do it herself is waaaay obvious and cheesy

Not yet carved her fourth--so is it a story about not knowing what you want to do with your life? About not knowing what others need you to do most? About defining yourself, about not having to define yourself? Perhaps she carves Mirror, or Water, or Mist, to reflect how she changes around people, becomes what they need.

Is it about being lonely--and so asking God what is the gap she needs to fill in to become complete, and become likeable? Apologise for incompleteness to badgers, use it as an excuse. So perhaps she needs God to tell her what it is--she feels so flawed, it could be anything, it needs God's omniscience--answer is to fill it with anything. It's not about what you're made up of, but knowing that you are already complete, having that confidence in yourself. I didn't make you incomplete; I make none of you incomplete.

Don't know what God's word was until they die--parents carve directly on to bone and so can tell them (or not!), but God's word remains hidden until death. Perhaps she needs to know what it is in order to complete her poem perfectly? Is that why she's worried? Overthinking it and won't just let it flow, because her talent is to pick the best word? Becomes about paralysis of choice, and sometimes there are many choices, and none of them is wrong. Just choose, and move forward. Have her respond that she still doesn't know! So God says well, any will do then; how about Frost? And bear pouts, what's wrong? I was hoping you'd pick... Oh. Quite, says God.

But how is that a larger conflict? Does it need to be? Needs to be a battle poet somehow still. Is she the first bear to try and use magic non offensively? Is that why the badgers are so nervous? Does she make her word "friend"?

Perhaps her decision then is not to carve a word but carve a modifier--a suffix--"ing", so that when she dies, her bones can be used to make a spell last, and she will dedicate her life now to peace BUT IN A LESS CHEESY WAY like, say she wants everyone to get on--Bear society is too fractured, so she needs to cast a spell to make them get on?

Not going to tell you which way I went, though; I'll let you buy the anthology to find out ;) (seriously, the ToC is amazing, I can't wait to read it myself)
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

DylCary

Postby DylCary » Wed May 16, 2018 6:06 pm

wotf009 Officially submitted for this quarter! Good luck, little story. wotf024 wotf024 wotf024

Now the waiting game begins... oh boy.
"In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded."
-Terry Pratchett

V35: Q1 (n/a), Q2 (n/a), Q3 (???)

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Wed May 23, 2018 7:07 pm

Hmm, I have the story for this quarter ever so close to being done. I didn't start it for this contest, or any other one, but as a fun where to show off what I have learned. But it's better than I expected, at least for me it's a bit of a twist, a little different. Which is why maybe, perhaps and mayhaps Dave will like it. It might be a bit on the short side for him, but I will take that chance. It's as long as it needs to be.

It may not be but I think of it as a collision between two different genre. If you that curious on which two e-mail wotf011

Now the writing is another story. I am probably overly proud of it without any substance for the pride.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Sun May 27, 2018 2:53 pm

My Q3 is ready (Ish. Sorta. Kinda. Maybe) for readers if anyone has time to take a look. I'm hoping to submit before the third week of June as I have a conference at the end of the month where I'm theoretically pitching my novel to agents and need ample time to twitch and polish for that. I'm always down to read, just send them my way.

Michael Kingswood

Postby Michael Kingswood » Mon May 28, 2018 9:49 pm

I'm in. Hit submit tonight.

I am reliably informed that this story is awesome.

I expect an R. wotf004

Best of luck, everyone. wotf007
Michael Kingswood
http://michaelkingswood.com

SHM x1
HM x8
R x11

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Wed May 30, 2018 10:56 am

Michael Kingswood wrote:I'm in. Hit submit tonight.

I am reliably informed that this story is awesome.

I expect an R. wotf004

Funny how that goes. My Q2 has the most hopes riding on it of any story I've written thus far, but it all depends on the subjective take of the judge. wotf017

Best cure is to write something even better for the next one! Then you can emotionally discard "that old thing" before DF gets around to it wotf001

reigheena

Postby reigheena » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:53 pm

I am in. I'm quite proud of this story, but I suspect it's a longshot here.
Silver Honorable Mention: 3
Honorable Mentions: 7. Published HM - Infant Insomnia
Other published works

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:26 pm

I’m in! I struggled to make this story come together but what I sent in I’m very satisfied with. On to the next tale! Best of luck to all of you!

Begin the double-twitching.

thebluesquire

Postby thebluesquire » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:14 pm

I'm in. Probably my last story for a while, having a baby really puts a kink in my writing schedule, but I'll keep trying. Best of luck everyone!

HM - 1
R - 1

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:31 pm

thebluesquire wrote:I'm in. Probably my last story for a while, having a baby really puts a kink in my writing schedule, but I'll keep trying. Best of luck everyone!

HM - 1
R - 1

Finding time to write when you have small kids is very very very difficult.
Remember... Family First. ...Writing will still be here. And if you play your cards right, you don't have to give up writing at all. Just scale it back a bit. ..

Anyway.. congrats on being a mom or mum or dad.

OK... time for me to go pick up my own kids from school. ...good luck with your entry.

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”