Discussion: Q3 Volume 35

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
vsutherland01

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 35

Postby vsutherland01 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:11 am

I wonder how many waves of Rs there will be now.

Do you think most of the stories Kary sends on to Dave will get HMs? That would make his life much easier if Kary is handling a majority of the Rs.
Honorable Mentions: 2
Rejections: 5

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:33 pm

I would think most of those stories will pan out to HM or higher. Kary's job is to figure out which stories look professionally written and show promise to be contest winners. Seriously, a professional can tell this in two pages--usually in the first couple of sentences--whether or not a story has potential to be a winner. When a writer hits that mark in the opening page or two, Kary passes it on to Dave to cull the lot for his winners and near misses. If the contest gets 2000 entries, between 5-10% will make it on to Dave. We always see under 200 entries making HM or higher. That would indicate most sent on to Dave would indeed get some certificate of honor.

Honestly, I suspect nothing will change except how soon result announcements are made. Cream rises to the top. Kary knows how to spot it, just like Dave. Then, it's just for Dave to decide what he's going to scoop out of the cream and churn into butter for his anthology.

Keep writing, keep sending.

~Moon~

vsutherland01

Postby vsutherland01 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:14 pm

This sounds like a great system. I am excited to see how it plays out.

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:29 pm

Is it considered a peep simply because the contest was mentioned?
Also that felt like an admonishment specifically to me about my story. I might be paranoid.
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: Q2 R, Q3 HM, Q4 R
Vol35: Q1 HM, Q2 R, Q3 R, Q4 pending

Blogging about my writing journey at: http://www.rebeccaetreasure.com/blog

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:10 pm

Dave's been doing a workshop and I think planning some writing time. I'd wager we have another 2-3 weeks before we get anything.
WOTF: HM x 6, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:47 pm

Wow. I just clicked the link from joni re the 7 WOTF books for only $30. I already have some of them but figured why not. After all, it's a great deal. ....

Ceapest Shipping cost to nee Zealand is another $72. USD. All up id pay at least $150NZD.

Oh how I wish there was a cheaper way.

DremaD

Postby DremaD » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:19 am

This is my first time jumping into the forums, and Q3 V35 is my first WoTF entry, so I'm lurking here to read all these juicy posts from more experienced WoTF entrants. Good to know, KD, that we can expect another 2-3 weeks for announcements. How does it work? I think I read in here somewhere that someone on the contest crew sends an e-mail to most everyone, even if their entry was rejected. Do winners get earlier notice?

Not twitching, exactly. I've moved on, and done several other things since I entered in mid-June. But now that it's September, I'm getting antsy.

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:08 am

DremaD wrote:This is my first time jumping into the forums, and Q3 V35 is my first WoTF entry, so I'm lurking here to read all these juicy posts from more experienced WoTF entrants. Good to know, KD, that we can expect another 2-3 weeks for announcements. How does it work? I think I read in here somewhere that someone on the contest crew sends an e-mail to most everyone, even if their entry was rejected. Do winners get earlier notice?

Not twitching, exactly. I've moved on, and done several other things since I entered in mid-June. But now that it's September, I'm getting antsy.

There’s usually a wave of rejections first, followed by Honorable Mentions. After that, Joni starts calling the rest... @_o
WotF Results:
  • R:2
  • HM:6
  • sHM:0
  • SF:0
  • F:0
  • Last: HM, Q3 v35
  • Pending, Q4 v35

Sataris

Postby Sataris » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:32 pm

michaeljwyantjr wrote:
DremaD wrote:This is my first time jumping into the forums, and Q3 V35 is my first WoTF entry, so I'm lurking here to read all these juicy posts from more experienced WoTF entrants. Good to know, KD, that we can expect another 2-3 weeks for announcements. How does it work? I think I read in here somewhere that someone on the contest crew sends an e-mail to most everyone, even if their entry was rejected. Do winners get earlier notice?

There’s usually a wave of rejections first, followed by Honorable Mentions. After that, Joni starts calling the rest... @_o

And after that-if you get the call-you get to have a miniature heart attack every time the phone rings for several weeks while you wait for the final decision. Pretty sure I lost a pound or two from all the unexpected cardio
2017: Q4: SHM - The Tin Man, Syntax and Salt
2018: Q1: 1st Place

vsutherland01

Postby vsutherland01 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:05 pm

Sataris wrote:
And after that-if you get the call-you get to have a miniature heart attack every time the phone rings for several weeks while you wait for the final decision. Pretty sure I lost a pound or two from all the unexpected cardio

How much do you think you will twitch while waiting to see if you win first for the whole year?

Sataris

Postby Sataris » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:32 am

vsutherland01 wrote:
Sataris wrote:

How much do you think you will twitch while waiting to see if you win first for the whole year?

roughly 12 months wotf027

vsutherland01

Postby vsutherland01 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:33 am

Sataris wrote:

That's the best thing to be twitching for but the wait has to be unbearable. Your story and three others go before a full panel of judges right?

Sataris

Postby Sataris » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:13 pm

vsutherland01 wrote:
Sataris wrote:

That's the best thing to be twitching for but the wait has to be unbearable. Your story and three others go before a full panel of judges right?

yup! the wait, surprisingly, isn't all that bad—the golden pen thing just sorta feels like a potential-but-unlikely bonus, though maybe that'll change as everything gets closer and starts to feel real. for me, it was wayyy more stressful between the initial call and the second, though the timing coincided perfectly with that whole bear attack thing that I rambled to joni about for like 15 minutes when she eventually called so who knows wotf019

vsutherland01

Postby vsutherland01 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:07 pm

Haha, that's awesome. I wish you good fortune in the twitching to come.

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:45 am

Sataris wrote:

Yeah. I know it's too early to get the call, but I still choak on my tongue every time my phone rings with an "unidentified number". Is it joni? Is it? Is it? And the answer is no. Still, I answer the phone with a overly polite voice "hello, this is Chris" .... Then when it turns out to be some weird lady telling me her dog died and she doesn't know what to do. I tell her, sorry, but you've obviously dialled the wrong number. I suggest you call subway. They'll likely take it off your hands for you and even give you a deal on a foot long sub.

vsutherland01

Postby vsutherland01 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:18 pm

Just got an email from Joni saying I made it through the "first pass" my story is still in the running for Q3 so it will now be reviewed by DF. Who else got an email?

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:38 pm

Errr...

*twitch*
WotF Results:
  • Pending, Q4 v35

pcmccollum

Postby pcmccollum » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:40 pm

vsutherland01 wrote:Just got an email from Joni saying I made it through the "first pass" my story is still in the running for Q3 so it will now be reviewed by DF. Who else got an email?

Negative, Ghostrider... wotf005
V34-Q4: HM, V35-Q1: HM, V35-Q2: SF, V35-Q3: R
---
“If you hide your ignorance, no one will hit you and you'll never learn.” ― Ray Bradbury

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:56 pm

wotf060
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: Q2 R, Q3 HM, Q4 R
Vol35: Q1 HM, Q2 R, Q3 R, Q4 pending

Blogging about my writing journey at: http://www.rebeccaetreasure.com/blog

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:41 pm

vsutherland01 wrote:Just got an email from Joni saying I made it through the "first pass" my story is still in the running for Q3 so it will now be reviewed by DF. Who else got an email?

Did anyone else get one of these emails?
WotF Results:
  • Pending, Q4 v35

DylCary

Postby DylCary » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:02 pm

I got one as well! I turned in last quarter's entry pretty early though, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Incidentally, while this was a first pass for the guest reader, does that mean it also counts as a first pass from Mr. Farland as well, or will his yea or nay count as it's own separate thing?
"In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded."
-Terry Pratchett

V35: Q1 (n/a), Q2 (n/a), Q3 (???)

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:40 am

michaeljwyantjr wrote:

Did anyone else get one of these emails?

I just got one. Maybe I will finally break my streak of 4 consecutive Rs...
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R R R R HM

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:26 am

Just finished driving 1,500 miles and the twitching is messing with my head.

Now I just want to know, even if it’s a R.
WotF Results:
  • Pending, Q4 v35

jjcollins

Postby jjcollins » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:49 am

I wonder how many waves of “those” emails will go out? Surely more than 1, given the # of entries...
Still unknown - get me while my stock is low!

2x HM

DylCary

Postby DylCary » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:53 am

jjcollins wrote:I wonder how many waves of “those” emails will go out? Surely more than 1, given the # of entries...

I suppose it'll depend on how much of the process Ms. English is doing. If she's just giving them a cursory glance than many more waves will go to Mr. Farland, but from what I've read both on here and the WOTF site it looks like she's the first line of defense, so to speak, between the Rs and everything else. Maybe?

Whatever the case, I'm assuming there will be a lot more of "those" emails! Has anyone got any rejections yet, I wonder?
"In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded."
-Terry Pratchett

V35: Q1 (n/a), Q2 (n/a), Q3 (???)

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:33 pm

Got my “you’re still in the running” email just now.

*finishes sixth beer and passes out*
WotF Results:
  • Pending, Q4 v35

Sataris

Postby Sataris » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:02 pm

congrats to those of you that have already heard back!

the way these are coming out makes me wonder if they're being sent as each piece is read individually rather than in waves once everything's been sorted

YM Pang

Postby YM Pang » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:03 pm

Submitted very early for Q3. Got no such "Your story is still in the running" email. I will now assume I've netted another R.

*whispers in crazy voice* How come when I was selling nothing I could still always make HM, but now I'm getting nothing but R and R... Does Dave hate me/have an agenda against me/remember I stole his cat in a past life/ect. ect. *stalks off*
Michelle Pang
http://www.ympang.com
1xFinalist, 10xHM

"Subtle Ways Each Time" in Escape Pod.
"The Palace of the Silver Dragon" in Strange Horizons.

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:33 pm

I wouldn’t worry too much yet... it was almost 24 hours from the first “you made it to the next round” to me getting mine.

I think everything we know about how this works is bollocks* at this point.

*Apologies: watching The Great British Baking Show right now
WotF Results:
  • Pending, Q4 v35

thegirlintheglasses

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:25 pm

Got another David Farland writing tips email this evening and my heart fluttered for a half second lol. No still in the running email... Mine was a last minute submission. Not sure that matters.
Brittany Rainsdon
R-SHM-HM-R-HM-R

John Goodwin asked me to type up a blog post about writing my wotf entry around giving birth. Here it is!
https://www.writersofthefuture.com/birt ... -rainsdon/

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”