Discussion: Q3 Volume 35

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
amoskalik

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 35

Postby amoskalik » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:26 am

For the record, I submitted on June 21st and received my first pass email on Sept. 4 at 2 AM. (Joni never sleeps apparently.)
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R R R R HM

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:42 am

Yeah, Rejectomancy!

I submitted June 30th and received my first pass email on September 4th at 8:19pm EST.
WotF Results:
  • R:2
  • HM:6
  • sHM:0
  • SF:0
  • F:0
  • Last: HM, Q3 v35
  • Pending, Q4 v35

pcmccollum

Postby pcmccollum » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:47 am

June 26th submission for me, so that means...I will either know in a week or I will travel back in time and learn about it last week. That math works out, right? wotf001
1x SF
2x HM
2x R
---
“If you hide your ignorance, no one will hit you and you'll never learn.” ― Ray Bradbury

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:03 am

I guess I'm a slow learner. I subbed my entry on June 30 and received Joni's confirmation on the same day.
I haven't heard anything since.
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

orbivillein

Postby orbivillein » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:05 am

amoskalik wrote:For the record, I submitted on June 21st and received my first pass email on Sept. 4 at 2 AM. (Joni never sleeps apparently.)

Time sent or time received?

Detroit, Universal Time Code Minus Four (EDST, Greenwich Mean Time, and DST impact, too)
Hollywood, UTC-7
2 a.m. Detroit local time, Hollywood local time 11 p.m.
And may be an after-hours batch process sent through a submission management software time trigger
Time is relative and absolute -- priceless!
-------
Another point of information, WotF first readers, historically, have been pendent judges in trials and tribulations for to become the coordinating judge. Farland and Wentworth were each protégés of Budrys' mentorship. Labaqui has also been an informal first reader, declined ineligible entries during the paper submission era, mostly, nonfantastic-fiction content. English is on the screener-gatekeeper track.

GruffbaneJoe

Postby GruffbaneJoe » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:21 am

I submitted about a month before deadline and received my first pass "still in the running" message at 12:54 AM on September 4th. Two time HM winner and I thought I'd finally broken the HM ceiling and then learned about the new first reader. Pretty cool!
R: 3
HM: 3

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:05 am

So... Do writers normally get these notifications or is this something new? Either way, can one speculate that receiving this notification means they have achieved at least HM?

Smithr73

Postby Smithr73 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:34 am

I got one of these hold emails a long while ago, so I went back to find it.

Mar 16th, 2016

You are getting this e-mail because you made the first cut and your story is on hold (still being judged). Our coordinating judge is working as fast as he can to try to have the results done before he comes to Los Angeles to join us for the annual awards event (for last year's winners) on the 10th of April.

I wanted you to know that we may take a bit longer time for this quarter results just because we are all working on the big event coming up.

I hope you understand. I'll get results to you as fast as I can.

I ended up receiving an honorable mention, but I haven't received an email like this before or since. Seems strange.
V32: HM
V33: HM, HM, HM, HM
V34: R, HM, HM, HM
V35: HM, R, R,

http://www.robertanthonysmith.com

GruffbaneJoe

Postby GruffbaneJoe » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:00 am

I asked Joni if this meant I had gotten above HM and she said no this is the first quarter using a first reader. I think it is likely that getting past her will likely result in at least an HM but can't be sure yet.
R: 3
HM: 3

orbivillein

Postby orbivillein » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:03 am

Author Services switched submission management software to WizeHive's Zengine for volume 35 2018, as late as for the fourth quarter. New login criteria though old logins could be entered as if for the first time. New software, expanded submission management plugins, ostensibly, more economical, effective, and simpler: new adjustment curve. Wrinkles to iron out while different levels of tech savvy settle out across management's tech distribution curve. Includes automated email precomposed-form notices of submission progress.

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:17 pm

[quote="orbivillein"]Author Services switched submission management software to WizeHive's Zengine[/quot

As I mentioned in an earlier post I submitted my entry on the 30th. I tried to enter it on the 29th but wizehive wouldn't let me change my password.

I attached it to an email and sent it to Joni and she assured me I was in for the 3rd Q,
I have to learn to submit earlier. wotf004
HM-1
D.R.Sweeney

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:38 pm

I guess I should have read the directions. I have to create a new account to be able to use wizehive. Doh!
HM-1
D.R.Sweeney

jjcollins

Postby jjcollins » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:29 pm

So no email for either rejection OR still being considered. You know what’s awesome about waiting like this?

NOTHING. wotf001 wotf001
Still unknown - get me while my stock is low!

2x HM

KristyEmber

Postby KristyEmber » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:15 am

What is going on??? Even with the changes, I would have expected to see either more first pass oks or Rs at this point ... this is a really small trickle.

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:14 am

Henckel wrote:So... Do writers normally get these notifications or is this something new? Either way, can one speculate that receiving this notification means they have achieved at least HM?

Something similar has been done in the past and then they stopped for whatever reason.
It does not guarantee an HM or higher, but it raises the odds substantially I would guess.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R R R R HM

orbivillein

Postby orbivillein » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:31 am

Henckel wrote:So... Do writers normally get these notifications or is this something new? Either way, can one speculate that receiving this notification means they have achieved at least HM?
Submission progress notifications throughout WotF contest history have been episodic and erratic. Submission management software, like WizeHive's Zengine, are designed to streamline submissions, progress notifications, and eligible personnel and judges' accesses and reviews.

Submission receipt triggers an autoresponse. Other notifications require an actual human decision to trigger a response. Declined or "rejected," held over for further review, and honorable mentions and silver honorables may receive pre-composed form responses if someone at the contest house elects to send one and if that part of the software setup entails pre-prepared notification forms and setup of the notifications dashboard. Of course, semi-finalist, finalist, and show, place, win receive personal notification telephone calls, usually.

Tech naive and work-overburdened persons often overlook those built-in notification apps and that require only a very few extra mouse clicks by someone, anyone, if set up. Even in the paper submission era, progress notices were often spotty if at all. At present, a new software, a new initiative, no clear house protocol, never has been, isn't, and never will be a certain individual's assigned responsibility at any house, like grandkids' thank-you letters to grandma for token and tone-deaf birthday gifts -- the momentum soon fades. Human nature and all.

And a special writer torture common to publication culture overall -- well, part of the writer experience and education and training. Such is the life of writing.

Meantime, Author Service's folk at present are on a promotional-recreational convention-conference tour and somewhat preoccupied. This is the fall's season for Cons.

morganb

Postby morganb » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:17 am

orbivillein wrote:
Submission progress notifications throughout WotF contest history have been episodic and erratic. Submission management software, like WizeHive's Zengine, are designed to streamline submissions, progress notifications, and eligible personnel and judges' accesses and reviews.

Submission receipt triggers an autoresponse. Other notifications require an actual human decision to trigger a response. Declined or "rejected," held over for further review, and honorable mentions and silver honorables may receive pre-composed form responses if someone at the contest house elects to send one and if that part of the software setup entails pre-prepared notification forms and setup of the notifications dashboard. Of course, semi-finalist, finalist, and show, place, win receive personal notification telephone calls, usually.

Tech naive and work-overburdened persons often overlook those built-in notification apps and that require only a very few extra mouse clicks by someone, anyone, if set up. Even in the paper submission era, progress notices were often spotty if at all. At present, a new software, a new initiative, no clear house protocol, never has been, isn't, and never will be a certain individual's assigned responsibility at any house, like grandkids' thank-you letters to grandma for token and tone-deaf birthday gifts -- the momentum soon fades. Human nature and all.

And a special writer torture common to publication culture overall -- well, part of the writer experience and education and training. Such is the life of writing.

Meantime, Author Service's folk at present are on a promotional-recreational convention-conference tour and somewhat preoccupied. This is the fall's season for Cons.

Bwa ha ha! Applying Strunk & White's Rule # 17, I think the above can be summarized with, "New submission methods aside, results might be sporadic anyway right now due to Author Service's participation in several conference tours."

~Morgan
Last edited by morganb on Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you can do it for joy, you can do it forever."
- Stephen King

Drop me a line at https://morganbroadhead.com

HM x 1
R x 4

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:20 am

morganb wrote:Bwa ha ha! Applying Strunk & White's Rule # 17, I think the above can be summarized with, "New submission methods aside, result might be sporadic anyway right now due to Author Service's participation in several conference tours."

~Morgan

#writerhumor
WotF Results:
  • Pending, Q4 v35

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:02 pm

"Just the facts, ma'am." Dave just got back from teaching and spending a few extra days in England. Now he's at FanX but is ill. No one knows yet if Kary has even completed her first pass. No one has been rejected yet, so no Rejectomancy. Just plain ol' waiting game right now, and with the teacher out, spitballs are flying across the room. : )

~Moon~

orbivillein

Postby orbivillein » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:13 pm

morganb wrote:
orbivillein wrote:

Bwa ha ha! Applying Strunk & White's Rule # 17, I think the above can be summarized with, "New submission methods aside, results might be sporadic anyway right now due to Author Service's participation in several conference tours."

~Morgan
Strunk and White is to scholastic composition guidelines as Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is to New Journalism creative license.

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:15 pm

You both need to stop.

My nasal passages can’t handle any more liquid coming out of my nose.

wotf019
WotF Results:
  • Pending, Q4 v35

jficke13

Postby jficke13 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:03 pm

Or go back to aprocyphal quotes from the framers:

The most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one will do.
Thomas Jefferson
HM x2, Vol. 34 Q4 - 3rd. http://www.jonficke.com

Bob Writer

Postby Bob Writer » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:58 pm

Dear Sir,

It was late and almost dark on the 30th June when I managed to find a post box in my hometown of Upper Longstocking, and send my manuscript on its way across the pond. My wife was none too pleased, I can tell you. She'd sent me out for milk and a Tunnock's teacake. By the time I managed to get to Tesco's, they only had Mr Kipling's Bakewell Tarts left.

I should have remembered they cause her lumbago to flare.

However, yesterday I received a response from a nice young Colonial named Joni who advised me my masterpiece had reached the next stage - Levelled Up, I believe you young ones call it - on its way to victory.

I opened a celebratory Old Speckled Hen and managed a few sips before my wife reminded me we no longer drink that ale.

Sigh. I was so enjoying it too.

Yours in (soon) victory,

Brigadier Sir Charles Arthur Strong (Mrs.)

p.s. - Do they sell Old Speckled Hen in the colonies? I might sneak a couple in when I arrive for this Gala next April. Please don't let on to my wife!
1 x Bronze Swimming Medallion
2 x Grade 3 "Student of the month" (Upper Longstocking Primary School)
4 x '180' badge (The P.O.W.s Darts Team)

Harion

Postby Harion » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:31 am

Joni Labaqui here from the Writers of the Future contest with some good news. You are still in the running for the 3rd Quarter.

Your story made it through the "first pass", meaning you will be judged now by our coordinating judge, David Farland.

Is the "first pass" just a cursory check if our entries adhered to guidelines or is it more stringent?
Potpourri
WOTF entries:
Q1 Vol 29 - R
Q3 Vol 35 - HM
Q4 Vol 35 - R

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:14 am

Harion wrote:
Joni Labaqui here from the Writers of the Future contest with some good news. You are still in the running for the 3rd Quarter.

Your story made it through the "first pass", meaning you will be judged now by our coordinating judge, David Farland.

Is the "first pass" just a cursory check if our entries adhered to guidelines or is it more stringent?

First pass means this, as it does for any first reader: Your opening worked. It told her you write professionally (a rare quality in slush), and your story hooked her--it got her interest and shows real promise of good things to come. You make it past Kary English, you go on to Dave's selection pile. As Martha Stewart says, "It's a good thing."

~Moon~

jjcollins

Postby jjcollins » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:09 pm

Still nothing for me here...starting to wonder if I’m sitting in the ‘R’ queue just waiting to go out! F...
Still unknown - get me while my stock is low!

2x HM

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:10 pm

“Your story has been judged and did not place.”

Big fat R.

Best of luck to my many friends still standing. I’m cheering for you!
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: R, HM, R
Vol35: HM, R, R, HM

Blogging about my writing journey at: http://www.rebeccaetreasure.com/blog

pcmccollum

Postby pcmccollum » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:12 pm

Well, just got my first R! Bit of a drop after last quarter's SF, but I think I understand why it was an R. No biggie. Looking forward to the next submission! Good luck, everyone.
1x SF
2x HM
2x R
---
“If you hide your ignorance, no one will hit you and you'll never learn.” ― Ray Bradbury

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:43 pm

Sounds live the results are starting to trickle in.
Given that I haven't received one of the "your story has been passed to Dave" emails, I'm feeling a bit bummed. ...I thought this was one of my best.

vjalrik

Postby vjalrik » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:16 pm

Henckel wrote:Sounds live the results are starting to trickle in.
Given that I haven't received one of the "your story has been passed to Dave" emails, I'm feeling a bit bummed. ...I thought this was one of my best.

I'm in the same boat. No "first pass" email, no R, yet....
Van Alrik
V33 (-- HM SHM R), V34 (SF R R HM), V35 (HM R R R),
V36 (Q1-Pending)
Latest sold stories (10 total):
"The Church of Raw," Thuggish Itch: Scientific, Oct. 5, 2018
"Fossil Fuel," Helios Quarterly Magazine, Dec. 13, 2016

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”