Acceptable level of violence for contest entry?

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
StanMichaels

Acceptable level of violence for contest entry?

Postby StanMichaels » Thu May 10, 2018 5:41 pm

Hello all,

Have a quick question, what constitutes an acceptable level of violence for a WotF submission? My two favorite fantasy authors at present are Brandon Sanderson and Jim Butcher, and it should come as no surprise that I hobby write with those influences in mind. I have a story draft in mind that has heavy fantasy combat in the plot. I gauge the violence (but not by orders of magnitude the skill) in my writing similar to those two. Any general guidance would be appreciated.

Best Regards,

Stan Michaels

preston

Re: Acceptable level of violence for contest entry?

Postby preston » Thu May 10, 2018 7:44 pm

David Farland (the judge) has said that violence is okay, but gross-out gore merely to shock the reader is a definite no-no.

YM Pang

Postby YM Pang » Thu May 10, 2018 8:53 pm

I think violence should be fine, so long as you're not going into paragraphs and paragraphs of gory detail.

What always worried me were the requirements around profanity. I actually stripped all the profanity out of my Q2 (and thought it weakened the story) but what I read later suggested that I might not have needed to do that. Darn it.
Michelle Pang
http://www.ympang.com
1xFinalist, 10xHM

"Subtle Ways Each Time" in Escape Pod.
"The Palace of the Silver Dragon" in Strange Horizons.

jficke13

Postby jficke13 » Fri May 11, 2018 4:32 am

YM Pang wrote:I think violence should be fine, so long as you're not going into paragraphs and paragraphs of gory detail.

What always worried me were the requirements around profanity. I actually stripped all the profanity out of my Q2 (and thought it weakened the story) but what I read later suggested that I might not have needed to do that. Darn it.

YMMV, but I know of at least one of the other 34s who said the story was submitted with some language and it was edited out after the acceptance. So... don't go overboard? But toeing over the line won't DQ you? wotf017
HM x2, Vol. 34 Q4 - 3rd. http://www.jonficke.com

Jaligard

Postby Jaligard » Fri May 11, 2018 8:47 am

YM Pang wrote:IWhat always worried me were the requirements around profanity. I actually stripped all the profanity out of my Q2 (and thought it weakened the story) but what I read later suggested that I might not have needed to do that. Darn it.

It turns out I have 46 swear-words in my Q2 entry (out of 51 pages). Nature of the project, though, means they all appear as "[Expletive]." Loophole?

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Fri May 11, 2018 8:50 am

Jaligard wrote:
YM Pang wrote:IWhat always worried me were the requirements around profanity. I actually stripped all the profanity out of my Q2 (and thought it weakened the story) but what I read later suggested that I might not have needed to do that. Darn it.

It turns out I have 46 swear-words in my Q2 entry (out of 51 pages). Nature of the project, though, means they all appear as "[Expletive]." Loophole?

Ok that's hilarious.

The stories can definitely have death, violence, darkness... I advise reading some of the recent anthologies to get a feel for the judges' tastes. If you can make your story not need profanity, so much the better, or a creative solution like this ^ is perfect.
WOTF: HM x 6, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

StanMichaels

Postby StanMichaels » Fri May 11, 2018 6:09 pm

Thanks everyone for all the advice. Based on what you all are saying I should be fine.

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”