Discussion: Q4 Volume 35

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Dustin Adams

Discussion: Q4 Volume 35

Postby Dustin Adams » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:06 am

Quarter 4, 2018 - Volume 35

July 1, 2018 - September 30, 2018

This is our last chance to write an epic, winning story and hang out with Preston in LA!
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

YM Pang

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 35

Postby YM Pang » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:51 pm

This is our last chance to write an epic, winning story and hang out with Preston in LA!

Hey, this is misleading! Not our last chance to do most of this. Just the bold part.

But let's face it: Winning the contest? wotf017 Hanging out with Preston? wotf026 wotf024 wotf019
Michelle Pang
http://www.ympang.com
1xFinalist, 9xHM

"The Girl with the Frozen Heart" in The Book Smugglers.
"Final Flight of the PhoenixWing" in The Razor's Edge

preston

Postby preston » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:10 pm

YM Pang wrote:

Hey, this is misleading! Not our last chance to do most of this. Just the bold part.

But let's face it: Winning the contest? wotf017 Hanging out with Preston? wotf026 wotf024 wotf019

wotf032 wotf041

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:02 am

Well, this is about having your cake and eating it too! Hanging out with Preston, priceless. For everything else, there's Mastercard. : )

But Preston, if you're wearing your ectoplasmic backpack to the ceremony, you'll know why I'm sitting on the *opposite* side of the banquet hall. Those containment fields are twitchy!

See you there!

~Moon~

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:21 am

Preston! Preston! Preston!

I shall write my best story for Q4, and let the chips fall where they may.
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:14 pm

Dustin Adams wrote:I shall write my best story for Q4, and let the chips fall where they may.

I second that. wotf024

It's been a while but I'm submitting again. I'm in for Q3 and I have something in the works for Q4.
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

Thomas Woodward

Postby Thomas Woodward » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:26 pm

This time around, I really want to swap critiques on my story. Maybe even give critters.org a try!
2017 (V34): Q2 - R, Q3 - HM, Q4 - R
2018 (V35): Q1 - HM, Q2 - R, Q3 - Pending

"No subject is terrible if the story is true, if the prose is clean and honest, and if it affirms courage and grace under pressure." — Ernest Hemingway

cfkreitzer@gmail.com

Postby cfkreitzer@gmail.com » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:47 am

I'm new to WOTF, and to writing in general, but after getting SHM in Q2 I'm so stoked to try again! This contest is a bit addictive isn't it? Ok so I see people talking about DF's blog- is it the story doctor one? What other resources/critique groups do you guys use?

vsutherland01

Postby vsutherland01 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:54 am

Dustin Adams wrote:Preston! Preston! Preston!

I shall write my best story for Q4, and let the chips fall where they may.

Me too! I plan on starting this week and giving myself the full three months to build then revise my story.
Honorable Mentions: 2
Rejections: 4

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:01 am

I have a rough first draft that I'm having trouble with if anyone is up for a swap.
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: Q2 R, Q3 HM, Q4 R
Vol35: Q1 HM, Q2 R, Q3 R, Q4 pending

Blogging about my writing journey at: http://www.rebeccaetreasure.com/blog

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:07 pm

I'm working on revising a story I'd started on, the front 450 of which I bounced off Dustin a while back. Got swept up in other things, but kept thinking about his feedback, and the resulting revision (killing a transition) restaged the story and made the whole premise a lot more interesting...

So now, I have until the end of September to get it into some kind of decent order and try my hand again. Feels great to be back in the saddle for it!
WotF: R:0 / HM:3 / sHM:1 / SF:0 / F:0 (Last: HM, Q4.v33. I've been quiet for too long.)
Current WIP intended for Q1.v36

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:14 pm

Yikes. I've been dealing with other deadlines, but now a month has gone by, and look at all you busy bees! Good job!

I just had a vision of Darth Vader. He sucked on his regulator, stabbed a finger in my face and said, "I am here to put you back on schedule." I assured him I was working as fast as I can. "Perhaps I can find new ways to motivate you." And then he slid a torture device in front of me. "It's called a chair. Sit in it."

morganb

Postby morganb » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:46 am

Wulf Moon wrote:Yikes. I've been dealing with other deadlines, but now a month has gone by, and look at all you busy bees! Good job!

I just had a vision of Darth Vader. He sucked on his regulator, stabbed a finger in my face and said, "I am here to put you back on schedule." I assured him I was working as fast as I can. "Perhaps I can find new ways to motivate you." And then he slid a torture device in front of me. "It's called a chair. Sit in it."

Oh no Wulf! Don't think of your creative writing space as a torture chamber! It should be more like your Naboo . . . except without the Trade Federation . . . or the Gungans.

~Morgan
"If you can do it for joy, you can do it forever."
- Stephen King

Infrequent posts about this whole writing experience thing...http://mbroadhead.blogspot.com/

HM x 1
R x 4

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:25 am

morganb wrote:
Wulf Moon wrote:Yikes. I've been dealing with other deadlines, but now a month has gone by, and look at all you busy bees! Good job!

Oh no Wulf! Don't think of your creative writing space as a torture chamber! It should be more like your Naboo . . . except without the Trade Federation . . . or the Gungans.

~Morgan

I appreciate it, Morgan. Of course, it was meant as a joke. : ) But the truth is, a chair is a torture device for me. I have to shut out the pain in my back and legs to sit and write, and when I get in the dream state, which is always the goal, I don't stand up like I should. There are times where my legs don't work at all from nerve compression, so I do need to pay attention. (You can read my article on the WotF blog if you wish to know more). Writing gives me great joy, wherever I do it, it's chairs that do not. Just something I must live with.

But meesa happy yousa want meesa to have mooey mooey good writing space!

morganb

Postby morganb » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:05 am

Wulf Moon wrote:But meesa happy yousa want meesa to have mooey mooey good writing space!

Ugh. What's truly awful is I can actually HEAR Jar Jar speaking that line. Thanks man. Yousa needs to be . . . pyoonished.

~Morgan
- Stephen King

Infrequent posts about this whole writing experience thing...http://mbroadhead.blogspot.com/

HM x 1
R x 4

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:21 pm

morganb wrote:
Wulf Moon wrote:But meesa happy yousa want meesa to have mooey mooey good writing space!

Ugh. What's truly awful is I can actually HEAR Jar Jar speaking that line. Thanks man. Yousa needs to be . . . pyoonished.

~Morgan

LOL! Now I hear it too! We are doomed, Morgan. wotf019

vsutherland01

Postby vsutherland01 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:42 am

Got a rough draft done, I know there is work ahead but I am proud of this one. Hopefully edits don't kill all the joy lol. I will be open to swapping and trading critiques in about a week.
Honorable Mentions: 2
Rejections: 4

morganb

Postby morganb » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:59 am

I'm late getting into the game for Q4, but on my way! Finally finished a very rough draft during my lunch hour today. This one's going to be big, I fear, probably +10,000 words. A real monster.

Starting the first rewrite tomorrow, where I hope to start sticking blood and flesh on this skeleton. Then another rewrite to dress it in fancy clothes. Then probably one final pass to breathe life into it. "It's alive . . . it's alive!" in my best Gene Wilder voice.

I'll probably run right up against the deadline for this one and might not have time to send it out for a swap, but I'm happy to look at anything anyone else has and provide some feedback. Just let me know.

~Morgan
- Stephen King

HM x 1
R x 4

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:35 am

I'm writing in a genre that's different from anything I've done before. It's fun following the direction this thing is taking me.
There is an ending in sight so it should be ready in plenty of time.
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:32 am

DoctorJest wrote:I'm working on revising a story I'd started on, the front 450 of which I bounced off Dustin a while back. Got swept up in other things, but kept thinking about his feedback, and the resulting revision (killing a transition) restaged the story and made the whole premise a lot more interesting...

So now, I have until the end of September to get it into some kind of decent order and try my hand again. Feels great to be back in the saddle for it!

May it be your winner! Then I can say, "I knew him when..."
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM

Randy Hulshizer

Postby Randy Hulshizer » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:59 pm

I'm not in yet, but I will be! I've been away a long time... So many things have changed. No more Jibber Jabber. Sigh.
Track Record: R X 3; HM X 3

Michael Kingswood

Postby Michael Kingswood » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:55 am

I never get tired of getting HMs, so I'm in.

wotf001

This one's about 6k, something I wrote for a workshop earlier this year. A bit more introspective than the last several I've submitted to the contest, so we'll see how it does.

wotf013

Good luck, everyone.

V/R,
Michael
Michael Kingswood
http://michaelkingswood.com

SHM x1
HM x6
R x11

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:35 pm

Dustin Adams wrote:May it be your winner! Then I can say, "I knew him when..."

The "when" being "when he didn't have a job and had loads of time to write".

Ah, good times.
WotF: R:0 / HM:3 / sHM:1 / SF:0 / F:0 (Last: HM, Q4.v33. I've been quiet for too long.)
Current WIP intended for Q1.v36

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:39 am

Hi all. A quick question for off of you that have been published in the WOTF annual books. How different was your original story from the final published version? Did you find your stories required a lot of polishing/revision/editing? Or were there only minimal polishing edits??? (I'm gaging the standard for my Q3 entry. Looking back, I could have done a LOT better polishing it)

morganb

Postby morganb » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:12 pm

Henckel wrote:Hi all. A quick question for off of you that have been published in the WOTF annual books. How different was your original story from the final published version? Did you find your stories required a lot of polishing/revision/editing? Or were there only minimal polishing edits??? (I'm gaging the standard for my Q3 entry. Looking back, I could have done a LOT better polishing it)

Whaaat...? You mean you get to REVISE your story before it's actually published, if you're one of the quarterly winners?

~Morgan
- Stephen King

HM x 1
R x 4

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:53 pm

morganb wrote:
Whaaat...? You mean you get to REVISE your story before it's actually published, if you're one of the quarterly winners?

~Morgan

Not that I'm aware of. I'd just assumed that Dave (or someone) made final edits or such before final version is published. I was just wondering to what extent their changes are....

...its the sort of ftuff I think about when I can sleep.

guthington

Postby guthington » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:27 pm

I'm back after a long break. I needed a change of pace and enjoy catching up by reading forum posts. It's like visiting a faraway land and seeing what the questing knights are up to. I love reading about the March workshop and learning from the great gurus and folks going to the gala and winning the big award! So impressed at the talent that is here. I can only dream of doing better than an R, but... I need more imagination after spending a year getting a sciency article published (it's about snails and leeches in case you are wondering). So I've dusted off an old novel, cropped it at the first break and have been hard at work getting rid of extraneous words and characters that don't add to the plot or target climax. Sort of like word sculpting. I've determined that the piece does have a theme. I made it to 15,664 words and would love to get it under 14,000. I'm in no hurry, just really need to do something different. When it's late September and I can do nothing further with it, I'll enter it and see how it does.
Amy [url]http:lapatrick.com[/url]

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:34 pm

Henckel wrote:Hi all. A quick question for off of you that have been published in the WOTF annual books. How different was your original story from the final published version? Did you find your stories required a lot of polishing/revision/editing? Or were there only minimal polishing edits??? (I'm gaging the standard for my Q3 entry. Looking back, I could have done a LOT better polishing it)

Minimal editing, for me. Mostly word choice and a couple descriptions. On the other hand I think some winners have been asked to add a scene to flesh out motivations, etc. I think you should assume that if the story wins it's probably good enough to be published as-is.
WOTF: HM x 6, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:13 pm

KD Julicher wrote:

Minimal editing, for me. Mostly word choice and a couple descriptions. On the other hand I think some winners have been asked to add a scene to flesh out motivations, etc. I think you should assume that if the story wins it's probably good enough to be published as-is.

Thanks KD. ... I was just wondering. ...so I'd know what to expect, should all the planets in all the star systems in the galaxy align and I should win.

I know I have a 800 word scene that needs completely cut and replaced by a couple paragraphs. And I totally referenced a character by the wrong name midway through the story, spoiling the reveal. Ha ha ha.

...yep. I'm feeling pretty dumb right about now.

jficke13

Postby jficke13 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:38 am

morganb wrote:

~Morgan

Sort of?

If you think of this less as a contest and more of a market, then it's fairly common for there to be a copy edit/proof process. Editors sends notes in track changes, (for example, maybe the copy editor is concerned with how you chose to capitalize things in your magic system, maybe it's a comma splice). You get to evaluate those changes and accept them or defend why you want them to stay the same, and send back a final. They will send you a final proof. And then it's off to the printers.

My experience with WotF was sort of similar. DF sent me edits in track changes. Most were kind of minor. I guess I was kind of unclear with dialogue attributions, so he wanted me to tighten that up. The largest thing was that he asked me to include one paragraph (when Nya makes the person go crazy at the end, his note was something like "what is he showing her? Give me that.") I accepted all of his changes (which you are not obligated to do) and sent it back.

Anecdotally and without naming names I have heard of winners who had no or virtually no edits. I have heard of at least one winner that was asked to add a significant portion. So, honestly...

wotf017
HM x2, Vol. 34 Q4 - 3rd. http://www.jonficke.com

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”