Discussion: Q4 Volume 35

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Wulf Moon

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 35

Postby Wulf Moon » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:21 am

[quote="morganb"]Just my opinion, but it seems to me if they want to see shorter stories, perhaps the word count limit in the rules should be lowered to, say, 10K max?

I hope not. And I think not...this limit was set long ago. I like long stories, it's what I also write. Darci Stone's story is a good example of why--big world building can only happen in big word count. But you do have to be aware you've got to have an amazing plot engine to keep a judge reading that many words in a "short" story. They know this, and once they realize the size they will come to the table thinking "you better prove me wrong."

Tough to battle against. But many have and have beat the odds.

~Moon~
Last edited by Wulf Moon on Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:50 am

I'm in for the quarter, making it the seventh quarter I've submitted consecutively and success for FOUR IN THIRTY-FIVE wotf024

I'm still open to swaps though, up to the end of the quarter. Then I'm going to really dig into my newest novel and be in a different headspace for a while.
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: R, HM, R
Vol35: HM, R, R, HM

Blogging about my writing journey at: http://www.rebeccaetreasure.com/blog

guthington

Postby guthington » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:43 am

Wulf Moon wrote:
morganb wrote:Just my opinion, but it seems to me if they want to see shorter stories, perhaps the word count limit in the rules should be lowered to, say, 10K max?

I hope not. And I think not...this limit was set long ago. I like long stories, it's what I also write. Darci Stone's story is a good example of why--big world building can only happen in big word count. But you do have to be aware you've got to have an amazing plot engine to keep a judge reading that many words in a "short" story. They know this, and once they realize the size will come to the table thinking "you better prove me wrong."

Tough to battle against. But many have and have won.

~Moon~

Well... Just submitted mine which is just under 17K. Guess we'll see what we'll see. I appreciate all the chatter and opinions regarding the potential success of longer stories. wotf013 Good luck to all. wotf009
Amy [url]http:lapatrick.com[/url]

SCAFontaine

Postby SCAFontaine » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:41 pm

I'm going to be submitting my 1st story on wotf this quarter. It has some downer portions and doesn't end on the highest note. From what I've read in vol 34, all the stories have generally happy endings. Does this mean stories without happy endings don't stand a chance?

Good writing to everyone! wotf024

morganb

Postby morganb » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:12 am

SCAFontaine wrote:I'm going to be submitting my 1st story on wotf this quarter. It has some downer portions and doesn't end on the highest note. From what I've read in vol 34, all the stories have generally happy endings. Does this mean stories without happy endings don't stand a chance?

Good writing to everyone! wotf024

I think "satisfying endings" would be a better description. As in, maybe it's not necessarily happy, but it makes sense and suits the story purposes and fulfills whatever promises you made to the reader at the outset.

~Morgan
"If you can do it for joy, you can do it forever."
- Stephen King

Drop me a line at https://morganbroadhead.com

HM x 1
R x 4

orbivillein

Postby orbivillein » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:25 am

The WotF contest, science fiction and fantasy, fiction overall favor classic comedy's "happy endings" to a factor of about six out of ten; conflict resolution, about nine of ten. Farland has noted he loathes downbeat stories and outcomes fraught with ennui and angst for the sake of downbeat drama.

Classic comedy, not per se comedy humor, is when a story starts from unfortunate circumstances and ends at fortunate circumstances. Tragedy is an opposite -- fortunate or mild to moderate unfortunate circumstances start, worse to severe unfortunate circumstances end.

Tragic-comedy trades greater fortunate circumstances for a lesser cost of unfortunate circumstance losses, for example, young and early adult's adulthood initiations at a cost of blissful innocence lost. Comic-tragedy, vice versa, worse misfortunes traded for lesser fortunes, for example, middle and late adult's several compromises of frivolous lifestyle for greater security trade-offs and mortality encounters, like stuck in a dreary job outcome or realization the final end is closer than next door and where did the time go.

Fortunate start to more fortunate circumstances end offers few, if any, dramatic appeals.

Middles, all are struggles for fortunate outcomes -- comedy, successful; tragedy, failed, though for hopefulness, a noble self-sacrifice, not death per se, for a common good accompanies.

Beautifully tragic outcomes like that especially appealed to Wentworth. Such dramatic twists' complex plots, though, consume more word count than simple plots' straightforward movements. Farland's more masculine sensibilities no less favor complex plots' dramatic twists, yet less so compromise or sacrifice, more so twists that realize true circumstances and cause profound reversals or sublime reversals that cause profound true realizations.

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:54 pm

OK. I guess I'm a few months behind in the news... I didn't realize that V34 winner Darci Stone is married to Erik James Stone!

I remember reading Erik's story, "That Leviathan, Whom Thou Hast Made" years ago. It stood out to me as a story that flowed effortlessly. I don't say that lightly. His prose in that story are excellent.

Now I'm keen to read her story.

SCAFontaine

Postby SCAFontaine » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:07 pm

Thanks for your responses! wotf009

VinSev

Postby VinSev » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:54 pm

Just finished my first draft for Q4. Almost six thousand word story that I wrote in a little over a week. I hadn't initially been planning to submit this quarter, but changed my mind at the last minute, so I scrambled to get something together, and I'm pretty pleased with the result. I'll be spending the rest of the month on revisions, probably right up until the deadline.

Anyone else still working on their Q4, or am I tragically behind? wotf005
"The adverb is not your friend."
-Stephen King

HM: 1

reigheena

Postby reigheena » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:53 pm

Revisions are coming together, so it looks like I'll have something to submit. It just won't be as polished as I would like, especially since I haven't had time to get any critiques.
Silver Honorable Mention: 3
Honorable Mentions: 7. Published HM - Infant Insomnia
Other published works

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:59 am

VinSev wrote:Anyone else still working on their Q4,

You are not alone. I have found a way to end the story I'm working on in a satisfying way.

I think pressure from the looming deadline inspires me to work harder. I won't wait until the last day though, been there done that.

Any unexpected occurance can have a writer sitting on the sideline for a quarter.
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

Harion

Postby Harion » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:48 am

About length and endings:

I don't believe it matters. Good writing is good writing, whether it be long or short; with happy endings, sad endings, or open-ended endings. Just write the best story you can, and if it's good, it'll get through.

I don't believe in trying to mold your story to some perceived "better standard." As long as you followed the guidelines, your story will get through if it's good enough.

Shorter is harder. Length is easy to achieve. The reason too few "very short" short stories win is that it takes immense skill to pull it off. Not because contest judges prefer "longer" short stories. Same with depressing or open-ended endings. They take immense skill to pull off. How do you take a reader, make them invest their emotion into something, and then give them a bad payoff or no payoff at all - without pissing them off?

Well, you gotta have great prose to start.
Potpourri
WOTF entries:
Q1 Vol 29 - R
Q3 Vol 35 - HM
Q4 Vol 35 - R

thewritescott

Postby thewritescott » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:36 pm

wotf006
At nearly the last moment, I've decided to write a story to enter this quarter. Haven't entered in a while. It's time. A friend that is still in the running for Q3 encouraged me to try again.

That, wwo previous HMs, several no places, and not nearly enough Amazon sales was enough to get me going. 3200 words in on the first draft. Someone tell me I can do it, huh?

DylCary

Postby DylCary » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:53 pm

thewritescott wrote:wotf006
At nearly the last moment, I've decided to write a story to enter this quarter. Haven't entered in a while. It's time. A friend that is still in the running for Q3 encouraged me to try again.

That, wwo previous HMs, several no places, and not nearly enough Amazon sales was enough to get me going. 3200 words in on the first draft. Someone tell me I can do it, huh?

You can do it!!!! wotf024
"In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded."
-Terry Pratchett

V35: Q1 (n/a), Q2 (n/a), Q3 (???)

thegirlintheglasses

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:56 am

I'm throwing a hail Mary as well. Currently I'm 3/4 this year and would like to be 4/4. 5k words in. Three scenes left. Gahhhhh! I'm also very pregnant. Due date was yesterday. WOTF due date looming. Pretty sure I'll be writing/editing in the hospital room lol... Let's do this thing! (Even if it's just an exercise in finishing)
Brittany Rainsdon
R-SHM-HM-R-HM-R-F

John Goodwin asked me to type up a blog post about writing my wotf entry around giving birth. Here it is!
https://www.writersofthefuture.com/birt ... -rainsdon/

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:25 am

You can do it Scott.
I put the story I was working on aside and found one in my unfinished files that has me stoked.
A couple of days of writing and it should be finished.

Very impressive Brittany.
HM-1
D.R.Sweeney

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:25 am

You can do it! That’s awesome!
Good luck with the baby and the story!
I’m up for crits with quick turnarounds if anyone needs it.
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: R, HM, R
Vol35: HM, R, R, HM

Blogging about my writing journey at: http://www.rebeccaetreasure.com/blog

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:18 am

I'm cheering for you guys!

Submitted my story yesterday. 4/4 this year. That feels good!
WOTF: HM x 6, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

vsutherland01

Postby vsutherland01 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:22 am

When do you think we will see results for this quarter? Q3 results look like they will drop in october. Is there any hope for december or are we looking at january?
Honorable Mentions: 3
Rejections: 5

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:35 am

vsutherland01 wrote:When do you think we will see results for this quarter? Q3 results look like they will drop in october. Is there any hope for december or are we looking at january?

I'm pretty sure they'll want to get results ASAP. Remember, they need Q4 done so the book can be laid out and printed in time for the April workshop.
V32 Published Finalist

jficke13

Postby jficke13 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:07 am

FWIW for Q4 last year I got the finalist call on Nov. 7 and the you won call on Nov. 14. Their deadline to get the book edited/laid out/etc. looms pretty tight on the 4th quarter.
HM x2, Vol. 34 Q4 - 3rd. http://www.jonficke.com

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:13 am

thegirlintheglasses wrote:I'm throwing a hail Mary as well. Currently I'm 3/4 this year and would like to be 4/4. 5k words in. Three scenes left. Gahhhhh! I'm also very pregnant. Due date was yesterday. WOTF due date looming. Pretty sure I'll be writing/editing in the hospital room lol... Let's do this thing! (Even if it's just an exercise in finishing)

My advice? Baby and mother comes first. Goals are great, but not if they harm us or others making them. You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em. And your Q3 is in Dave's hands, it may win! So my advice, sweet Girl in the Glasses? (Heh, I've always known who you are, your tag gives you away : ). Don't go for the goal this Q unless it appears reasonable. From my perspective, it's not. : ) Take care of you and your baby...that will be enough stress. And you know me, I don't discourage people from making the quarter, but you have special circumstances.

As always, your call. You know your health, your limits, and the demands delivering and caring for a newborn will place on you.

Best of health to you and your baby, and we look forward to the happy news! Like a healthy baby in Q4, and a win in Q3!

Cheers!

~Moon~

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:14 am

thegirlintheglasses wrote:I'm throwing a hail Mary as well. Currently I'm 3/4 this year and would like to be 4/4. 5k words in. Three scenes left. Gahhhhh! I'm also very pregnant. Due date was yesterday. WOTF due date looming. Pretty sure I'll be writing/editing in the hospital room lol... Let's do this thing! (Even if it's just an exercise in finishing)

Congrats on your baby!

If this is your first, or your first since taking up writing seriously, let me give you permission to hold your baby, love the baby, and still be horribly sad and disappointed that you're not finding time / creative power to write. Because that may very well happen (sleep deprivation sucks) and all these well meaning people around you will say "oh, just enjoy the time with your baby!" or make you feel bad for your creative urges. It's OK to be a mom and still do other things, and it's ok to mourn your inability to create art at the levels you used to. I swear I nearly facebook-slapped some aunts for their comments last year.
V32 Published Finalist

thewritescott

Postby thewritescott » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:14 pm

Thanks, StorySinger and DylCary. I knew I could count on (the collective) you.

Personally, I'm pulling for Brittany. wotf009 Well, I'm pulling for everyone. It's always been a supportive community. But what a story!

Just crossed the 5K mark. Have one more writing session tonight, I think. Might be able to finish the first draft before the weekend. It's coming together.

Anybody else still pushing against the deadline?

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:12 am

I'm still pushing for this quarter but it is looking grim. I'm at 9K+ and probably have at least 1000 words to go in my rough draft. I don't see how I can clean that up in less than a week to submittable quality. Sigh. Looks like I'll be 3/4 for this year. I'm toying with the idea a pushing out a flash piece in the last week, though...
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R R R R HM

glenn84

Postby glenn84 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:57 am

If anyone needs some last minute critiques, shoot me a PM.
HM x 3
SHM x 1
R - unknown

thewritescott

Postby thewritescott » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:45 pm

Finished my second draft! Letting my critique partner have a go at it and then I'll send it off. I think it's better than my two HMs. But then, I've thought that about other stories that got rejected in the first batch. No. NO! Don't think like that. This story is the one.

zeeteebeez

Postby zeeteebeez » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:51 am

I made the mistake of submitting to BCS at the beginning of the month thinking their rejection comments might give me some ideas for editing before submitting for Q4. Now I'm worried I won't hear back before the end of the month.
Z.T.

Alternating HM's and R's

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:42 am

zeeteebeez wrote:I made the mistake of submitting to BCS at the beginning of the month thinking their rejection comments might give me some ideas for editing before submitting for Q4. Now I'm worried I won't hear back before the end of the month.

Ouch! That was a risky gamble. I'd start writing something new quick! You can do it.

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:28 pm

I just completed my story for Q4. Now for some editing and it will be ready to go with room to spare.
Best of luck to everyone still working on their subs.
HM-1
D.R.Sweeney

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”